Your favorite game soundtracks.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Myst in general did their music really well.
I remember in some interview that Rand and Robyn Miller originally didn't want to have music in their games because they thought it would disrupt the gameplay. And once Robyn started dinking around with a synthesizer he felt that what he experimented with actually provided some additional ambience to the game.

That being said, there are some exceptions I would make to the series. While not an original Cyan Worlds game, Myst 4 Revelations was alright but it had the very first Myst track to include vocals. The dream-spirit deal with the singing was a pretty big scratch in the record for a decent game.

Myst 3 Exile had good music, but like the original Myst they were too short in length. Especially the intro musics that play whenever you get to a new age. Voltaic and Amateria's theme were my absolute favorites out of that game, but they were too short! They're a minute and a half long.

EDITED:

Whoops.... Exile was the first to include vocals with their chorus singing in a crescendo all the time. But Revelations had vocals that were discernible to the ear, and you could make out the lyrics.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Slenn said:
lacktheknack said:
Myst in general did their music really well.
I remember in some interview that Rand and Robyn Miller originally didn't want to have music in their games because they thought it would disrupt the gameplay. And once Robyn started dinking around with a synthesizer he felt that what he experimented with actually provided some additional ambience to the game.

That being said, there are some exceptions I would make to the series. While not an original Cyan Worlds game, Myst 4 Revelations was alright but it had the very first Myst track to include vocals. The dream-spirit deal with the singing was a pretty big scratch in the record for a decent game.

Myst 3 Exile had good music, but like the original Myst they were too short in length. Especially the intro musics that play whenever you get to a new age. Voltaic and Amateria's theme were my absolute favorites out of that game, but they were too short! They're a minute and a half long.
I pretend the Enya-video-from-WTF-ville never happened. The whole "Dream Realm" thing was a total disaster from beginning to end. Myst IV was my favorite up to that point, too.

I will admit the themes are really short. But man, the stuff that's there is great quality.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Wow...people need to learn how to use the spoiler tags....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Anywho, I think this may be the...twentieth?...."Favorite Game Soundtrack" thread I've posted in during my time here at the Escapist. Certainly feels that way.

Oh well, on the requisite list(s):

One of the reasons I so greatly anticipate the release of another installment of Half-Life is for the soundtrack. I am an avid fan of Kelly Bailey's compositions. Frankly, I'm just an avid fan of all of Valve's music composers.

This has been one of my favorite puzzle games that I've ever played, if not the most relaxing. This is due, in no small part, to the amazing soundtrack by Jerry Schroeder, a.k.a. Urbex.

I still say Rare's composers wrote some of the greatest, most catchy game tunes ever.

Not only is Homeworld still my favorite RTS, and one of my favorite games, but it's soundtrack is still one of the most appropriately atmospheric OSTs I've ever heard in a game. Bonus points for Relic using Adagio for Strings.

Not only the series that got me into giant robot combat, but also helped cement my love of PC gaming. Plus, Jeehun Hwangs soundtrack for MechWarrior 2 and it's expansions was utterly brilliant.

You can say a lot of things about id Software. Cutting edge tech and design. Depressingly antiquated tech and design. You name it.

However, it's hard to argue with their soundtrack choices.

I could honestly keep going on and on. I could add Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Halo, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, etc, etc, etc. However, I've listed more than enough already, so I'll leave it at this for now.

Maybe I'll post more later.

But that's a big maybe.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Not a single song from any Metroid game has done me wrong, my personal favorites coming from the Prime series.

Especially this one.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Every time one of these threads comes up, I say the same thing: Chrono Cross. Without a doubt, the best soundtrack to any game I ever played, and I still listen to the soundtrack regularly, as it's one of my personal favorite albums of all time. The perfect example of excellent music adding to the story being told.

For example, my personal favorite piece from the soundtrack:

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I think the soundtrack that got to me first was Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I fell in love with all of the Ocarina songs that, throughout my multiple playthroughs back in the day, I knew all of those tunes by heart. If anything, that is my favorite.

The Mass Effect soundtracks have defined the last half-dozen or so years of my video game life and I would be remiss in saying that. The theme, Suicide Mission, Illusive Man, I'm Proud of You, An End, Once And For All were all amazing tracks that, combined with the music, created the games I loved and followed like no other game before it.

Assassin's Creed I through Revelations were all great, although ACII gets the cake, particularly for the very first three, Earth, Venice Rooftops, and Ezio's Family.

Then Final Fantasy X and, sometimes Final Fantasy XIII. Both had amazing tracks that I will never forget.

But, overall, Journey is a masterpiece. It really, really is. I Was Born For This makes the entire soundtrack amazing, it made the game memorable, and aspires you to things greater than yourself. Here, take a listen:

I love soundtracks of all kinds but video games can, and sometimes are, the best of the best. I only wish they had more recognition from the bigger markets.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The soundtracks I liked are from Final Fantasy 7, Muv Luv Alternative, and the Halo series

They know how to put the music when the mood is there

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon

(also listen to part 3, starting around 3:30. Epic metal reprise!)

All of the castles in this game have FANTASTIC music, and the overworld/town sections are pretty catchy too.

Also, Castlevania Judgement.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
My absolute favorite song from any game. The series as a whole has some of the best music in gaming.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Let's see here.

Mass Effect series, Persona 3 and 4, the Final Fantasy Series(I pretty much stopped at 7 though), older Mega Man titles, Earthbound, Castlevania series, and all kinds of remixes from OCRemix.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
One of my favorites is Frozen Synapse. Thats eargasm worthy

Lufia 2: Rise of the sinistrals and to a lesser extent Lufia and the fortress of doom is one Ive listened to forever. For a 16 bit game that had some really emotional music in it

Bastion has an interesting electric meets bluegrass kind of feel

Dark souls has another really good sound track. Lots of meaning that fits very well with the various fights in context

Anything Dynasty warriors is another nice set of music

Xenosaga is another good one I listen to frequently

Blazblue generally has some good soundtracks

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
well my three favourites are
M4 Part 2 (Faunts) by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick from mass effect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwfJvemUIZg
the Chinatown theme from VTMB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9TTSI3bi4E
and Sheeda's den BGM from the chinatown night club in DCUO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFhvNjQrnSU

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Alright, well everyone know that Halo and TES and Mario and Zelda have good soundtracks, so I'll try and tell you one you might not know about: Trine. On top of being one of the best platformers available, it has a brilliant soundtrack by Arl Pulkkinen. Here's one of my favourites:

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Somanah said:
A Soundtrack as a whole, nothing beats Bastion. But to choose fav songs would be too hard. Right now i'll say;

I gotta hand it to Gearbox they are 2/2 for picking amazing tracks for the Borderlands opening. That song made me go out and get the album "The House that Dirt Built" by The Heavy. For a debut album its pretty solid.

2 of my favorites that I dont believe have been mentioned are the Little Big Planet soundtracks.

Doing that one level in LBP2 to Ferry Corsten's Rock Your Body, Rock was a really cool gaming experience for me.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Twilight theme
Rainbow Dash theme
Applejack theme
Fluttershy theme

From MLP Fighting is Magic, its still not out but soon.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Elder Scrolls series
Legacy of Kain series
Mass Effect series
Bastion
Assassin's Creed II
Halo series
Final Fantasy X

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
The ones that came most immediately to mind - Chrono Trigger (holy crap Corridors Of Time), Command And Conquer (Act On Instinct is still phenomenal after all this time) and every last Final Fantasy - have been cited already, so I'll go with the one that nobody's said yet; and inevitably enough for me it's Bayonetta. Never mind the After Burner and Space Harrier remixes, or the Out Run cameo; the Paradiso theme, the Ithavoll buildup and all the boss tracks are just amazing.

Also Let's Dance Boys.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Bastion and Legend of Legaia. The latter being really hard to find anymore, due to being about 15 years old, but thank Fuck for YouTube.