Your Favorite Game Sucks

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Your Favorite Game Sucks

Despite popular opinion, you don't need to have played a game to hate it.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Totally agree - Justices my hate of aloto f games...especilly in he racing genre

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
But on the other hand, recklessly broadcasting an opinion about something you haven't tried can be unnecessarily damaging to a products reputation. Its okay to have an opinion on something, but blurting out you don't like it in a forum only to reveal you haven't actually tried it is understandably going to be met with hostility by those who do like it. So yes, it is healthy to have an uninformed opinion, otherwise you'll get burned by purchases you simply won't like, but mindlessly yelling about it at those who do like it over an internet forum is not going to lead to many decent arguments.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
jebussaves88 said:
Its okay to have an opinion on something, but blurting out you don't like it in a forum only to reveal you haven't actually tried it is understandably going to be met with hostility by those who do like it.
This is the problem. There is no reason for hostility. I LOVE me some ice cream, but if somebody says that ice cream sucks I don't get all angry and confrontational. There is simply no reason.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Legitimate Reasons Why you shouldn't to be a complete dick over someone's "OPINION" over a game or whatever.

Yahtzee says what he says in his videos for 5 main reasons and I'll list them

1. Because He's part of the escapist and he has a job with them [Or something Iwk how that goes.]
2. he's making a legitmate points about a game and how it can be liked and disliked by the public mass who do and don't play video games
3. He makes it entertaining filling it all with those colorful metaphors and analogys to bolster his review and the points about it. He's not just a person who was shat out from the womb and didn't go to school folks.
4. It's his bloody opinion on a game for one thing, the second being the facts of the game.
5. Because he can and wants to actually get a reaction out of the fk's that infest the internet and possibly even change their stupid views on things. He has some hope in humanity at least.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Shamus Young said:
jebussaves88 said:
Its okay to have an opinion on something, but blurting out you don't like it in a forum only to reveal you haven't actually tried it is understandably going to be met with hostility by those who do like it.
This is the problem. There is no reason for hostility. I LOVE me some ice cream, but if somebody says that ice cream sucks I don't get all angry and confrontational. There is simply no reason.
But it begs the question; if you don't like a game, and you haven't tried it, why are you getting involved in an argument over something you clearly have no interest in in the first place? If you'd played the game, or even demoed it, and had genuine criticism for it, then I think its something to discuss, but wading into the troll pit blindfolded is not bringing anything to the table except bad feeling.

For example, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't like the cover system in Killzone 2, and have never thought it was really that pretty a game, which rendered it as a console shooter rather impotent (to me anyway). But you don't see me wading into a Sony forum to tell all the members that their most anticipated game of last year was a big grey pile of something unpleasant. Just because I didn't bother to buy or demo it does not give me the right to criticise peoples taste, which is what anyone who stumbles into such a conversation is doing. "I didn't bother playing the thing you like, but I know it's just bloody awful, and anyone who disagrees is just a moron". If you were to say something like "It just didn't appeal to me" that would be something, if not completely pointless and a waste of time.
If people want mature conversation about something, then the people within that conversation should really be informed about what they're talking about, and anyone who isn't is entitled to their opinion, but within that conversation, that opinion isn't needed.

(Don't take this as me defending fan boys, but to be honest, anyone who blindly criticises a game without playing it is equally guilty of trolling it up)

Monk Ed

Feb 11, 2010
I'm so glad to see someone say this! It's not even about money. The one precious irrecoverable resource is time; to even ask someone to spend time trying a product is thus equivalent to asking them to sacrifice a portion of their life force that they will never get back. That's why the burden of proof is enormously on the side of advertisers and evangelists to convince people that something is even worth the opportunity cost associated with trying it out.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
jebussaves88 said:
Shamus Young said:
jebussaves88 said:
But it begs the question; if you don't like a game, and you haven't tried it, why are you getting involved in an argument over something you clearly have no interest in in the first place? If you'd played the game, or even demoed it, and had genuine criticism for it, then I think its something to discuss, but wading into the troll pit blindfolded is not bringing anything to the table except bad feeling.

For example, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't like the cover system in Killzone 2, and have never thought it was really that pretty a game, which rendered it as a console shooter rather impotent (to me anyway). But you don't see me wading into a Sony forum to tell all the members that their most anticipated game of last year was a big grey pile of something unpleasant. Just because I didn't bother to buy or demo it does not give me the right to criticise peoples taste, which is what anyone who stumbles into such a conversation is doing. "I didn't bother playing the thing you like, but I know it's just bloody awful, and anyone who disagrees is just a moron". If you were to say something like "It just didn't appeal to me" that would be something, if not completely pointless and a waste of time.
If people want mature conversation about something, then the people within that conversation should really be informed about what they're talking about, and anyone who isn't is entitled to their opinion, but within that conversation, that opinion isn't needed.

(Don't take this as me defending fan boys, but to be honest, anyone who blindly criticises a game without playing it is equally guilty of trolling it up)
^this a million times. People need to learn how to articulate their opinions better and try not to present it as fact.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
jebussaves88 said:
Shamus Young said:
jebussaves88 said:

Yeah...but Yahtzee actually played the game, and he still got a reaction like that from the fanboys. I like SSBB, I have fun in that. I can design me some nice stages in that game with its limitations, and I have fun.

Fanboys like those have absolutely no reason to be just sending that hate to him.

Yahtzee as his job is to play and review games, he has to go out and buy them himself [or some other reason but probably what i stated anyway]. He doesn't have forever to play a game as well, he said in his review he had like 3 hours to play with his buddies, in the mailbag showdown he gets rammed for apperently NOT playing with friends.

They need to pay some bloody attention is what they need to be doing.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
You know, every time this comes up it bring's Adam Sessler's hatred of Final Fantasy to mind.

Seeing the fanboy hate is one reason I look forward to them posting those reviews. (See Crisis Core).

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
Of course you have an opinion about games you haven't played. If not, you'd buy every new release, play a bunch of crappy games, go broke and die. But when the flame war starts between fanboys and haters about a gmes you haven't experienced, STAY OUT OF IT! Your opinion really doesn't need to be shared when you have zero evidence to back it up.

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
Shamus Young said:
jebussaves88 said:
Shamus, you're my new hero. That is EXACTLY what I've always said. Taking offense because someone doesn't like something you love is just plain insecurity, IMO.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Impluse_101 said:
I don't really have anything to argue with here. I think people should be able to disagree with him via message or forum post, but if only they were more literate. If both parties (in this case, Yahtzee and SSBB fan boy) have played the game, then there are grounds for a discussion/argument. Hate mail is NOT appropriate, and I do disagree with extreme fanboyism. Plus, Yahtzee is renowned for disliking multiplayer, so taking issue with his lack of opinion on it is like taking issue with a Violinist for not being able to do a kick ass drum solo.

What I take issue with is people verbally dismissing a game via the internet at the very people who are likely to take issue with the criticism they are levelling at it when the person has no contact with the game short of demoing it. SO I think saying its fine to bad mouth a game without playing it is sort of reckless.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Shamus Young said:
Ice cream looks like frozen cum and (probably) tastes worse. How can you eat that crap? Lord knows I never would.

I completely agree that you can dislike and avoid something without seeing it firsthand. You can mention that it sucks or isn't for you if the topic arises and even list reasons why this is the case based on secondhand sources.

But hate is a strong word. The only entertainment media I can honestly say I hate are ones I've actively been tortured by like Twilight. How can you develop an emotion as strong as hate for a game/book/movie/pile of vampire flavored word-vomit without actually having the experience? I understand that I'm just arguing semantics here, but I feel it's an important distinction to make. Some people decide some new game or whatever is one of the worst creations of man alongside nuclear weapons or supernatural romance novels and will loudly tell everyone everywhere how horrid it is at the slightest provocation. That is hatred and it makes no sense to me.

Towowo2 said:
People need to learn how to articulate their opinions better and try not to present it as fact.
It is impossible to present your opinion as fact without saying something ridiculous like, "Research shows that Twilight sucks." If you're offended by someone offering their opinion without a big disclaimer that what they say is in fact their own subjective view of the matter, you lack conviction in your own opinions and need to get over it. Just about everything a person says that isn't either a math problem or a dry description of the current weather conditions is an opinion. Informing them that they still only speak for themselves just makes you look insecure.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
This is all fine and good as long as you don't go on the internet and tell people why the game sucks so hard.

That's when you are transformed from opinionated human to annoying trolly butt-nugget.

Sep 4, 2009
Shamus Young said:
jebussaves88 said:
I think people expect to be understood as well in writing on the internet as they do when discussing something face-to-face, where body language, tones of voice, dress sense appearance and even a speakers age all inform the conversation at least as much as what is being said. Confrontation isn't the exception, it is the rule; harmony and cooperation only exist so long as people are constantly seeing the familiar and the agreeable, and constantly having that reinforced.

But news and opinion on the internet canno simply keep shovelling out the same-old-same-old. Remaining uninformed carries a stigma, it is backward, its something to be made fun of. So we're obliged to search out something new. And when we see it, it sure looks ugly sometimes. And then, despite me trying to be the model of reason, I go and post something in defence of something else.

And then I electronically step on someone-else's toes because I completely fail to communicate everything that would be entirely reasonable spoken face to face. And the cycle perhaps starts over and again, until its essentially the culture of a chatroom.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I agree Shamus!

I think having and sharing your opinion is fine and dandy, and nobody has a right to call out out on it. But there is the trolling scum that will fire of an opinion with as much vile spittle as they can muster which goes beyond an opinion. It's a forced attempt to piss people off. I can go and say that Metroid other M looks pretty boring and sounds like there's a stupid concept behind it. But that's about it. If I were to then presume it's the worst game of the series ever, and call people who like it, or even tried it, complete jerk offs, then I'd deserve to be rebuked... although, obviously, that would have been the point in saying those things ;)

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Ideally we'd all be like the fan boys want and give everything the time it deserves but there's only so much time and money to put aside for a hobby.

We have to form opinions from known experience a little research and the feedback others and we usually do that pretty swiftly. Other times we don't and the only way to form an opinion (and opinions do need to be formed and revised) is to forge ahead and acquire a copy; I like JRPGS but the feedback from FF13 was a game that left me undecided before I actually got it.
I'm glad I did and glad I stuck it out through the ridiculously long tutorial areas. I like the game and the story was well worth it but unlike other JRPGS I wouldn't want to replay it my, opinion is finally complete. Unless someone can find some artistic subtext within it and chooses to enlighten me

I know I don't like football games the manner of play, rules and appeal of the games are lost on me. Technically I know them all but it just doesn't flip a switch somewhere deep inside. I played FIFA at a friends recently (at his behest) and I will admit I was surprised at how well it played and how far those games have come from Sensible and Fifa98. we played for a couple of hours but I won't give a football game my own time and money they just don't appeal and probably never will.
I don't need to check reviews, screen shots, pre-release footage and and couple of days hire to know I would only find them a passing and mild distraction and why waste my time on that when I could be playing the latest RPG or finding out what the next big strategy game has to offer?

Yahtzee was right to give ssbb a review, it keeps his opinion of fighting games up to date and his extremely critical view of such games allows him to point out serious flaws in a game without just glossing over them as normal parts of the genre
like the camera being annoying, most other reviews didn't mention it, we are used to fighting games having uncontrollable cameras that zoom in and out
. Which is his job after all.