Your favorite new IPs of this generation

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
I am breaking my answer down into two categories, there are many games that I have never played but feel have made quite an impact on the latest generation of consoles.

Games I have played and I consider my favorite of this generation:
Mass Effect
Crysis
Mirror's Edge
Dead Space
Borderlands
Saint's Row
Call of Duty (the first was released on PC alongside the new console generation so I count it)
Gears of War
S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Games I haven't played:
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted
Demon's Souls/Dark Souls

Byte2222

Jul 2, 2012
All 3 of the Operation Rainfall titles: Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. Also Cave Story and (if you count it as this generation, it's sortof on the cusp) Okami.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
wakeup said:
Alan wake
Alan Wake didn't get nearly as much appreciation as it should have. I even really enjoyed the combat which I often hear as a criticism.

OT: Souls games
Mount and Blade
Assassin's Creed (early on)
Portal

tce11

Turtle Who Lives in the Clouds
Apr 17, 2008
Anything involving Suda51: No More Heroes, Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw. The dude is a new IP machine.

Also:

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, how did this game not get more attention, it is absolutely beautiful! Artistically speaking, probably the best looking game of this generation.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
InFamous
Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Dragon Age
Uncharted

The obvious I know, but I likes what I likes

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I'm just gonna say:
BioShock
Rage
Borderlands

But I don't know what "this generation" is. You mean generation of consoles? I mostly play on PC and we still have the same thing, and it can still run games from 20+ years ago.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Coreless said:
Call of Duty (the first was released on PC alongside the new console generation so I count it)
You mean the first was released on PC and then 6 years later it came out on consoles?

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
Coreless said:
You mean the first was released on PC and then 6 years later it came out on consoles?
I just mean I count it amongst the latest generation of gaming, sure it came out before the Xbox 360 was released (which I think is universally counted as the start of the latest generation) but since the design of the game went on to be a big influence on modern day shooters I just count it as being apart of this generation.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Valkyria Chronicles
Xenoblade Chronicles
Blazblue series
The Last Story
Bioshock
Uncharted series
Demons Souls and poss Dark souls (havent played the later yet)
Bayonetta
Journey
Skullgirls

Probably loads more I am missing out as well but that will do for now.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
Well, for starters, there's Bioshock, which is currently my favorite game of all time. Yeah, I know it's a spiritual sequel to System Shock, but I count it as a new IP.
Every time someone says 'spiritual sequel' on the topic of BioShock and System Shock, a part of me dies.

While BioShock is certainly a good game (and series), it lackes in the amazing depth System Shock had. And, to be honest, I would've rather seen a System Shock 3 than BioShock back in 2007.

OT: It's hard to decide, but perhaps the Mass Effect series. Sure, the ending of 3 was a big letdown and they screwed up in the end (though the Extended Cut fixes this slightly. It's actually not bad, though I expected better.), but I think many of us agree that the ride to ME3 was a very fun one, and that the Mass Effect universe is one of the most intriguing ones in this generation.

There are plenty of other ones, such as STALKER and Borderlands, but I am too tired/lazy to write a detailed explanation of all of the IPs I liked this generation. So that will have to do.

Sh1nobu

Nov 23, 2009
No More Heroes. Can't you tell by my Avatar/Name?

I just love the colorful characters to bits. Also the music is really really really good.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
No more Heroes
Demon's Souls (not played dark souls yet
Portal
Transformers(yes yes, there have been other Transformers games, High Moon's the only one to do it right so for though)

and since I'm apparently the only one that liked it on this thread thus far

balanovich

Jan 25, 2010
Although I'll always like 192.168.0.1 for it's reliability, I enjoy 170.0.0.0 ... I mean, so many possibilities!
I like the bad-boy 154.255.666.0 even if he's not of very much use.
I guess my favourite is sexy 10.80.0.8 !

Quarik

Jan 7, 2012
Portal, Borderlands, Journey, Bastion, Souls. I'd say League of Legends, but it's more that I really enjoy MOBAs in general.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
For me, it's clearly the two Souls games. It's also the only series I am eagerly hoping/expecting for another and another and another iteration of it to come to whatever platform. The more powerful, the better.

I very much liked Bioshock, but the second one already felt like a rather dull reboot of sorts, with a bit of gender equality thrown into the mix. And since the third one went into an annoying bout of pre-release spoiling, which, combined with an autoplay feature some websites consider to be good fun, it just already pretty much took out all the steam and dreams and hope I had going for it. So, no, there's no 'series' for me to like there. IP laws be darned, the soundtrack discs/goodies were some of the most underwhelming things in the last decade. Get those darn IP laws fixed, they're just no fun no more.

I really want to like The Witcher, as I think it's mostly brilliant, but the battle and mere moving around feels like sore ass to me. Can't stand Ass Creed, can't stand Mass Effect, detest Dragon Age 2.

What else?

I really like the Portal games, so I think that's another 'series' of sorts, even though the tiny, simple, pretty ugly first one has more replayability than the all-made-up second coming... and the coop/multiplayer bit got boring really, really fast.

Even though they all were pretty much broken or at least easily breakable, I loved the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Great atmosphere that was really multiplied with the Russian voice-acting. The feeling of dread, of being lost & alone in a well messed up world was insanely more prominent in the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. than in, say, Fallout 3.

Ah, yes. Fallout 3 - I love and respect the first two games from a thousand years ago. I kinda like Fallout 3. I don't like the Bethesda looks of, say, 99.9% of all the characters, and I really have severe issues with the Bethesda inventory system. But still - Fallout 3 was one of the first 'modern' games - with an aging and ailing bouquet of engines - that saw me clock in well beyond 100 hours, and enjoying myself most of the time. Fallout NV - pretty strong MEH from me there, so... we'll see. If another one comes out that doesn't involve too many Mad Max fake Romans and it isn't located in Las Vegas, we might find some love again. Yes, I know Fallout is not a new IP per se, but 3D Fallout that isn't complete random bollocks is kinda new.

I very much enjoyed Heavy Rain, but it's a tough one to follow up. I just don't see myself playing a dozen of these 'interactive experiences' and some glitchy bits turned the unfolding drama into an insane LOL-fest - laughing so hard we almost broke our backs, died of lack of oxygen and fell off chairs and sofas when we least expected it. It's been a while, so I'd definitely give any new IP in the same vein a spin, though.

Special mention needs to go out to Brütal Legend and Psychonauts. There's a guy that moves in mysterious and pretty random ways, but I really enjoyed these two games. The silly item-seeking knight abomination, though, saw me bored and losing hope in just one sitting. That was pretty crap.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Little Big Planet. Anything that can pierce my layers of built-up, battle-hardened cynicism is worth a mention.