Your first anime series

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
If pokemon and Digimon dubbed count, then one of them. If not, FLCL was the bizarre thing I saw on Cartoon Network late one night that hooked me for the duration of my college days. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo were both on at the time too I believe so theres that.

LKArtillery

Mar 30, 2011
Well, the first anime I ever watched I don't know, because when I saw small I couldn't distinguish the difference between this cartoon or that.

But anyway, Digimon Adventure 01.

Still like waaay up there in my all time favorites. ;-;

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
Pokemon, digimon, dbz, a mix of all the things I didn't know were anime. But I consider my first 'real' taste of anime to come from one piece, something my friend was showing me back when I was still learning what the genre was. Or was it FMA? It wasn't exactly 'in order' it was just one piece, naruto, fma in a day and the details are messed up. So in this entire post... I'll just say one piece.

Ceil-Sama

Oct 29, 2008
Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, then Pokemon.

Now I watch stuff like Higurashi...where did my childhood innocence go?

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
ronin warriors, i can just barely remember the show. after that it was pokemon, and from there the world of anime was opened up for me in my teenage years thanks to cartoon network's toonami.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Pokemon
Digimon
Dragon Ball Z
G Gundam

DBZ,G Gundam,Digimon being the only 3 Ive watched from Start Ep1 -> End EpX

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
the first one I remember watching was sailor moon in 1996
the one series I remember watching fully first was cowboy bebop and that was maybe 2001.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Star Blazers!

I used to watch the first half of each episode before catching the school bus in the morning, and figure out what happened in the second half by watching the opening synopsis the next day.

And WTF? A CAPTCHA with a damned accent mark? Come on...

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
SHE IS THE ONE NAMED SAILOR MOON! ^^
I have n.o sham.e over t.his. (Btw,. m.y keyboard is k.i.nda broken,. hence all. the .periods).

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Man this thread makes me feel old. Or maybe just more cultured. I dunno

Anyway, depends how you define it... either:

Mysterious Cities of Gold (japanese-french production, some shared genetic code with Studio Ghibli but ostensibly concocted and distributed by DiC)

(And on that note... inspector gadget? His ride is SO a Trueno Sprinter when in Car mode, and the van doesn't look all that american either)

Transformers (...and get into a huge debate over whether it was actually japanese or american)

Honourable mention for Laputa - a movie, but I did see it on it's one and only pre-DVBT UK airing in '88 or so.

More definitely, Battle Angel Alita. At approx age 12-13. Wrote in to a competition in like the first copy I ever bought of a Manga magazine... and won. However they sent the wrong tape. I supposedly won: All-Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku, lighthearted soft-science cheesecakey dramedy. I received: a retitled Gunnm, a hard-sci-fi gothic horror of a thing, like a bloodier, robotic reimagining of Laputa.
And only the first three episodes of it. 15+ years later I still haven't got to see the end, as I couldn't afford the tape at the time... oh and I was like 5-6 years too young to actually buy it. Nuku Nuku was PG. Alita was an 18.
And I also just realised I've seen pretty much none of the other incredibly interesting titles that were featured on its trailers, except for Wind of Amnesia that came up on Sci-Fi channel one time. I will have to dig it out and hit Amazon / teh torrentz and rectify this. For some reason I still find a lot of the older titles more interesting-looking that most of that what's released today (it takes something truly wild like Summer Wars to grab my attention now).

Then my bro started collecting The Guyver, which was at least as nasty, but had ratings between PG and 15, including the freshly minted 12 (... and he was 11), so I & mum had to buy it for him. Censors just didn't know quite what to do with this stuff so went down a pre-prepared check-list. Someone in the background is holding something that might be nunchucks? 18. People losing limbs and having holes blasted through their torsos with laserbeams? Er... we don't have an entry for that. And no-one's shirt got ripped off THIS time, but there was some swearing, so that's a 12. Nnngh.

So it has, literally, all been UPhill from there. Even DBZ is arguably better quality :)

chinangel said:
No one mentioned sailor moon!
You think ANYONE's going to own up to that? I went out of my way to avoid it when it was on CN. Not because I thought it would suck... just in case someone walked in.
Though to this day I'm curious as to whether they left the "naked transformation" scenes in.

Kiju: I had a momentary, embarrassingly feminine fanboy SQUEEEE incident when I saw your avatar...
...then realised it was from Pokémon, not Nausicaä. Like the opposite of the mistake someone else made on seeing my plush dashboard mascot (it's symbolic AND practical - bushy tails make good windscreen demisters). Son, I am disappoint.