Your First Gaming Experience

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
Everyone has that moment they can remember of some of their first gaming experiences, the gateway that kicked off your love of gaming, and led to a life of loitering around the Escapist forums.

I was lucky in that I had older siblings, so my house already had a NES with a fairly extensive library at the time that I gained awareness of such things.

The two games I remember playing very early on was a game called SkyKid, and another called Bubble Bobble. Mostly because these were co-op games, therefor my siblings could carry my still gaming-newb self.

So it got me thinking, what are everyone's first gaming experiences? What games or systems got you in to the hobby? I'm interested to see how that key moment is different for a number of people.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
First gaming experience period...

First PC gaming experience...

First gaming experience that "made me a gamer"...

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Earliest I can remember was playing this old game with my dad. At first it was just me watching, but it didn't take that long before I tried my own hands at it!

Man I miss those days.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
I actually think my first experiance playing games was either Megaman X or Tin Star on the SNES, if I think back that far I can't remember which but I remember alot of my childhood being lost to those games. (I was only moderately good at Tin Star, I couldn't beat anyone but Chill Penguin and Flame Mammoth on Megaman X)

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
My first gaming experience was either Centipede or Pole Position on Atari 2600, then Master System, Sonic 1 & 2.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Combat on the atari 2600.

Eat these graphics, crysis!

Yup, the tank game is the first ever game I played. Was good, especially invisible mode! Both tanks were only visible when they fired, made for some tense moments.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
First game I ever saw? Super Mario 64.
First game I ever played? One of those Winnie the Pooh interactive learning games for the Windows 97. I was three back then.
I never played a shooter game till I got Battlefield 1942 in 2003.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I think it was probably Elevator Action on the arcades. I remember feeling so cool playing as a secret agent in a building looking for suitcases and fighting observers!

The first games that got me hooked were Hero and Montezuma's Revenge on the Atari. Then Terramex, Ghostbusters and Batman on MSX. And then I played Monkey Island, Another World, Speedball 2, Lotus Turbo Challenge, Prince of Persia, Syndicate and Lemmings on the Amiga and there was no turning back. I was definitely in love with games!

One of my first PC was Wolfenstein 3d. And I keep on playing until this days and occasionally I get surprised by some good games like Dishonored and XCOM.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Christmas 1989, Santa (shut up, I was 4 at the time!!) brought me a GameBoy with Tetris, Kirby's Dream Land, and I think Zelda: Link's Awakening. They're the first games I remember playing though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Can't remember exactly but I think that was Tetris but I didn't eaxctly enjoyed it. I think the first game that I properly liked was Mario Kart of Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
That would be either Super Mario for the NES

or Sonic the Hedgehog for the SEGA Master System II

I can't remember which one came first though, my early childhood memories tend to get mixed up in each other.
Good times though.

Collegeboy21

Jan 26, 2010
Got an NES for Christmas. Didn't even know what it was, so I remember being confused, with my dad clearly thinking I'd be more excited. Anyway, Duck Hunt was my first gaming experience, and it was awesome. Gaming ever since.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
It was on my friends 386 computer where he played games like Prehistoric or Dizzy. My first platform was however NES.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Pong, I think. I know we had one of the machines that played it, but not what, specifically. I was 5 or 6 when the NES was released, so Mario after that, but I'd played some arcade games too.

As for PC(except it was an Apple back then) - I have no idea. I know my elementary school had those DOS things with the black screens and green writing so maybe something on those.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
First ever game and system.
The console, sitting proudly to my left, has a few flecks of white gloss on it from a room redecoration done 17 years ago but other than that it's the same.

First PC experience.

Thank the elders of the internet that my uncle let me play this before he went to the states.

It's hard to say when gaming became a hobby for me but the Sega & PS1 contributed the most since we didn't have a PC at home.

Rath709

Mar 18, 2008
Magicland Dizzy for the ZX Spectrum. Still some of the best music ever written for a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVIPCoqqbuQ&feature=relmfu