Your First MMO?

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Started with Runescape, went on to Guild Wars, went back to Runescape, tried a bunch of other free MMORPGs, played Vanilla WoW, tried even more free MMORPGs, played WoW: TBC, tried AoC, WH:AoR and LOTRO, went back to WoW and stayed there until a few months before Cataclysm. Took one hell of a long break from MMORPGs after that.

Currently, I'm questing through post-Cataclysm Azeroth on an Orc shaman. It's fun, but I don't know if I'll buy it. I think I'd rather put my money towards more games. PS2 games and old PC games in particular.

beniki

May 28, 2009
First one was Star Wars Galaxies, pre-SOE destruction. Only played for a few days though as a practise for my real first MMO, Ryzom. It wasn't a bad game, but was a little dull for me. Combat was a little too passive, despite the awesome events done by the game crew.

Then there was City of Heroes. God I love that game. Pure style over function, with every effort made to make you feel like a super hero. This is how MMOs should be made, and I truly wish the industry had copied that instead of WoW.

Jackhorse

Jul 4, 2010
tthor said:
that is what I eventually realized, and why i don't play MMO's anymore. almost all of them are grindbased, leaving you at the end feeling like 'wow, why did i spend all these hours doing this?'
I think a lot of the grinding is based on your mentality. I play City of Heroes for fun and although I do only have two top level characters I got there enjoyably hunting down people close to sharp drops and punching them in the face. Then again took me a lot longer than a year to get those two because people so rarely admire the views from rooftops and cliff faces.

OT: First MMO I ever played was Adventure Quest but not really sure it stood up on the multiplayer part of MMO

I don't think I ever dabbled in Runescape but instead moved straight up into City of Heroes partially by accident.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
Runescape.
I started playing it at about 11, but didn't have that burning enthusiasm my friends had for it.
One of them still plays it. He's 18 a couple of days before March..

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
Runescape played off and on for about 2/3 years but then I got bored of it finally after reaching lvl 85 or something and gave up with it.

ohngec07

Apr 7, 2010
I first started with Guild Wars.
Then tried Lord of the Rings Online and Warhammer Online and recently (Christmas to be exact) i got World of Warcraft as a joke present from a friend, so i tried that too.

But then i realized that i hated MMORPGs all the time and only liked Guild Wars because, in fact, it is not an MMORPG^^

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
I like to think of MultiPlayer BattleTech on the old GEnie service as an MMO, PvE for up to four players at a time in real-time planetary invasions in player run armies in a persistent galaxy, with battle results being instantly tallied and affecting the war. At $2 an hour. That lasted until the first bill.

More traditionally, UO.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
tthor said:
So, what MMOs have you played? What was the first MMO you ever played?
I believe my first MMO was Pirates of the Caribbean Online. It was actually a hoot to play, though very glitchy and laggy. Since I am a solo style player when it comes to MMO's I always thought it was hilarious that I had the biggest most powerful ship that could be got in the game and I was the only one sailing around in it, plus the fact that I was boarding ships and taking on crews of seven or eight enemies, while my whole ship was sitting their unmanned.

The other hilarious thing was seeing what people named their ships. The one I remember the most was when I just doing a little looting of a few large ships. I had just swung back to my ship and started sailing again when a little ship about three times smaller than mine came puttering along side mine. The ship's name was Red Fox.
I burst out laughing because the whole time it was sailing beside me, the theme to Sanford and Son was blaring in my head.

My ship was called Dark Reaver, and it could take on at least three other ships at a time and barely take a scratch.

Other than that, I had a brief stint on EVE Online.

And my current MMO is Lord of the Rings Online, which I actually find to me, is better than WoW in many respects.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
The 4th Coming.

Awesome game, great community, it's the only one that kept me interested for years. (I'm not into MMOs, usually).

NathLines

May 23, 2010
ExileNZ said:
That may have been mine, too - branched out into a whole bunch of similar "World" MMOs - I can't remember if I spent more of my time in The World or Brasil Worlds, but I'm sure it was one of those. Mostly social, right? No monsters to kill, even though if you looked hard enough you could teleport down to hell and admire the little imps running around.
It was mostly social, yes. But there were loads of monsters to kill. There was also levels, equipment, skills and loads of different areas. So it's probably not the one you're thinking of.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Ruenscape
Played WoW

hated both

played Dead Frontier
got bored

I guess I'm just not an MMO person

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Technically Runescape, but I have no memory of that, so in my mind my first MMO was Planetside. Stayed with that game for years, and would still be playing it now if I could. Very much looking forward to Planetside Next.