Your five flaws

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
So a while back, Tomska (the Youtuber) released a video in which he discussed his five biggest flaws. This got me thinking about my own flaws and how they affect my life. So, Escapists! It's time to be honest with yourself, what are your five biggest flaws. Don't worry, you'll feel liberated! Please leave your answer in a format such as is displayed below in my own answer. Xxx

1. I am extremely socially awkward - Without wanting to invoke any social stereotypes, I am sure that this is true for many users of this site. I'm perfectly fine talking to people I know and like but I am abysmal around people who intimidate me. Thanks to my interest in acting and the dramatic arts I've managed to become a little more confident and create an illusion of charisma but intense social situations still scare me, partly down to my passionate hatred of small talk.

2. I worry too much about what people think of me - While I think it's healthy to be concerned about how your peers view you, I often find myself over-analysing everything my peers say and come to the conclusion that nobody likes me. I hope that this isn't the case but it does cause me to put a stupid amount of effort into what I wear and how I come across. This also stretches over to relationships but don't worry, that's coming up next...

3. I have the romantic skills of a toaster - Without wanting to sound too pretentious, I consider myself to be a romanticist. I fall in love too easily and I will do anything for an attractive woman. These would be noble traits fitting of a young Casanova if it weren't for the fact that I can rarely find the courage to 'make a move' making my romantic 'skills' a perfect zero...

4. I am dyscalculic - Discalculia is pretty much Dyslexia but with maths. My brain just is NOT mathematical, I'm not good at quick mental arithmetic. I have the ability to think logically and I'm fairly certain that I'm not stupid but that's just how it is. It's something that I've always been rather insecure about and is kind of a *****.

5. I have a trouble sleeping - This is mainly down to the fact that I have had pretty bad Tinnitus since birth (Gav from Miracle of Sound, you have my respect). I've managed to fit my life around being constantly tired and as a result have developed large grey marks under my eyes. I'll usually only get about 2-4 hours a night of sleep which sucks but I've managed to adapt to it pretty well.

Well.. That was liberating!

Jayemsal

Dec 28, 2012
Me? I'm flawless.

OT: I suppose I can think of a couple.

I tend to be a bit of an indecisive ****.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
1. I have quite the ego - I tend to think pretty highly of myself. And if I put work into something, and the person who sees it doesn't acknowledge how great it is (yes, of course it's great!), I get a tad miffed.

2. I procrastinate - To be fair, if I actually care about what I'm doing I'll get it done. But with certain homework - math and science - no shits are given, little work is done in time.

3. I am a perfectionist - Both a blessing and a curse. I put 100% into things, but if I'm not great at something I get angry at my own shortcomings.

4. I don't get enough sleep - Look OP! We have something in common! You should be honored Although I must say I run on a few more hours than you. (2-4?? Damn) Usually about 5 a night for me, which isn't enough. I can be irritable the next day or just have trouble focusing. Not good either way.

5. Just kidding, I have no flaws - Yeah, please disregard everything I've just said. Especially flaw #1. Bunch of BS, what the hell was I thinking writing all that down?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Hmm, that's a tough one for me. Not because I have big ego or anything like that; I try to be humble at all times and mostly succeed. But I have a very... I guess "zen" view of myself. I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, but I'm exactly as I need to be to be happy in life. Others may see my flaws and think less of me or get frustrated by my lack of concern for them. I see my shortcomings, but I know that they don't define me. I guess what I'm saying is that while I have traits that aren't helpful or good, I'm happy with the way I am, and those negative traits don't keep me from being happy. I can still list five flaws, but I'll also say how I work around them.

1. I'm lazy. It's true, I am very lazy and opposed to work in general. But I'm not stupid enough to ignore work that needs to be done. I know I have to work to survive and support my way of life. So I do, and I don't complain about that. I also don't cut corners, because that usually just ends up leading to even more work, so it makes more sense to my lazy self to do things right the first time.

2. I'm forgetful. I tend to forget things that can be important. I even forgot my own mother's birthday last year. Weirdly, sometimes I remember the tiniest details about things, which can come in handy. Still, there's really nothing that I can do about this.

3. I'm not really physically fit. I'm fit enough for my job, which is still plenty more fit than a lot of people, but I hate working out and I don't care for being physically challenged. There are some exercises I do like, like swimming, so I make it work where I can. This is just a part of my personality, so again, there's nothing I can do to MAKE myself like working out.

4. I can be passive-aggressive. Not nearly as much as I used to be though. This is something that seems to be fading with age, and I am usually pretty good about checking myself when I get the urge to be passive-aggressive. Learning to forgive others came easily to me after I learned to forgive myself.

5. I'm an introvert. This is something I don't see as a flaw, but it can be off-putting to others. I like to keep to myself, and when out in the world, I tend to just go along with things rather than put myself in the spotlight. It's just the way I am, and most people eventually see that and don't try to take me out of my comfort zone. Most people. Even the ones that don't usually get the message after a stern "No thanks." Oddly enough, the only person I've ever had to actually YELL at about this has been my older brother. But that was just a one time thing.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
1. Lazy and Procrastinator. It's affected both my grades and my health, and I haven't made a serious and conscious effort to try and change it.

2. Introverted. It is hard as balls for me to talk to people who I've never met, and I mean naturally talking. I can talk to complete strangers, but it's mostly me acting out nervousness and trying to fill the silence. It's even worse if I have nothing in common with the person (i.e. they don't play video games or are interested in any sort of geek culture).

3. Paranoia. I feel that this flaw of mine is justified at times, but it's also the root of all my other flaws. Growing up as a black woman I've been taught to watch out for strange men, white men, and cops. I'm extremely uncomfortable around strange men, and even more so if I have to be in a closed space with them. The first thing that usually comes to my mind when I'm around strange men is how I'll have to defend myself (thoughts that get pretty violently very quickly). My justification for this is that should anything happen to me, it would be considered my fault that I didn't take enough precautions to fight off an attacker and he'll get away scott free. I've also had to live my entire life thinking "Don't act like a gang member. Don't dress like a gang member. Be super nice to white people or you'll get harassed by a cop." So yeah. I pretty much avoid parties, bars, clubs, and conventions for this reason alone.

4. Dependency on my significant other. Due to my paranoia (the internet does not help), I believe that my boyfriend is the only guy I'll ever be able to date, because I won't find anyone else who'll put up with my problems and respect me like he does. This is not to say that he's a doormat and tolerates any grief I give him, but rather he just accepts and loves me the way I am.

5. Compulsive lying (no this isn't "what I said was all a lie!"). This is something I manage to avoid with my boyfriend and really close friends, but I do with everyone else (especially my parents). I hate getting into arguments, and when confronted I usually default to coming up with a lie and trying to fix the situation after I have done so. I started doing this more often when my sister was kicked out for failing college and coming out of the closet.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Seagoon said:
4. I am dyscalculic - Discalculia is pretty much Dyslexia but with maths. My brain just is NOT mathematical, I'm not good at quick mental arithmetic. I have the ability to think logically and I'm fairly certain that I'm not stupid but that's just how it is. It's something that I've always been rather insecure about and is kind of a *****.
I... did not know this had a name. I Googled it, and now I know what I have. It's also the sole reason why I dropped out of high school all those years ago. Couldn't acquire the necessary credits in order to graduate because of my inability to pass any of the required math courses.

Now I have something that I can point to and inform my family that I was fucking right about my problems. The assholes.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Hmmm let's see....

Pro Procrastinator
As the old saying for students goes, "Due tomorrow do tomorrow". Yet luckily I'm bright enough to still get good marks.

Cynical Chap
I tend to be very analytic towards things, and even then I make rather grim observations or have a pessimistic view, my friends often call me cynical.

That's about it, I can't really think of 3 more.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I can't stand people for long periods of time.
-Working in retail made me pro-choice.

I don't think before I speak.
-Though some of my friends find this to be one of my pros.

I have an addictive personality.
-It's one of the reasons why I don't go near drugs (legal or not) and have to set an alarm on my phone so I don't game for too long.

I'm lazy.

I hate falling to sleep but don't like waking up.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
1) I'm completely unlikable in every way - If you don't already hate me judging by what I type here, you would if you actually knew me.

2) I'm stupid - I don't know as many things as I ought to.

3) I'm argumentative - Does not go well with the above trait.

4) I'm ugly - Like a butt.

5) I'm entitled - I expect people to reciprocate my feelings for them despite point #1.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I sleep way too much. I really, really do.

I can get overly emotional and that can make me act like a total ***** or cry a lot.

I'm lazy. I don't want to work 30 hours a week and go to school full time so I quit my last job over it.

I'm too shy. Even if I like someone, I can rarely manage to start a conversation with them.

I write too much fanfiction. I think that's self-explanatory.

But, honestly, I think I'm an okay human being overall.

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
1>Wery wery socially awkward(I mean i misspell things forget friends surenames can't stand still etc...)
2>Wery wery lazy and I mean it (well not that lazy i like long walks... but cant get myself out of room to pee at night because toilet is too far down the hallway(well not realey(3 meters tops))
3>Low word count in my vocabulary when it matters... I mean it...
4>I worry too much when i shouldnt (paying taxes before exams(which i aced)) and so on... Like im too intense(get afraid easeley(well not afraid per se just startled... from jumping cats and so on)...
5>I look hideous ... Like im the most ugley thing you could imagine and im too much self centered...
Yeah...

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I have the mental state of a small dog.
-----------------------
Loud noises startle me badly, and usually put me in a bad mood. When a lot of things are happening or going on near me, I stress bad, and become aggressive/passive aggressive.

I have issues sleeping.
-----------------------
To the point were I've begun semi-relying on sleep aids to help me sleep. It's not insomnia, as I do finally get tired and when I am extremely tired it's easy for me to sleep. I just rarely feel tired.

I'm overly boisterous/too much of a braggart when it comes to any successes or achievements I make.
-----------------------
I was a really quiet shy kid back when, never said much, never did much. I've become an entirely different person in my young adulthood, but I think I tend to overcompensate for all the years I felt I wasn't much of anything, so when I'm proud of something I did, I probably seem a little too arrogant and in your face about it.

I spend entirely too much time on the internet/computer in general.
------------------------
We lost our internet sometime last year in the fall. During the time it was shut off, I didn't get hardly any headaches, something I occasionally suffer from. After getting it turned back on this year, the second night after I was complaining of a headache.
I know it's terrible for me, both mentally to absorb all the cynicism and human bile that pervades most sites I run through, and physically because of severe eyestrain, but it's not uncommon for me to get on and completely lose track of time until, unknowingly, several hours have passed. Which leads to my last flaw.

I have the worst perception of time.
------------------------
I often joke that I'm some super being who is unaffected by the flow of time because sometimes very strange things happen. I can wake up, know without a doubt that it is Friday, and find out later that its actually Sat, or Monday even.
This is a very embarrassing issue. It's not attributable to weak memory, as my memory is rather good most of the time and occasionally I will spend several hours reminding myself that X day is coming tomorrow or whatever. Sometimes it works, other times this strange mortal time flow passes right over me.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Tanis said:
I hate falling to sleep but don't like waking up.
Me god damn too. Sleep is just awful all around.

manic_depressive13 said:
Mauler said:
5>I look hideous ... Like im the most ugley thing you could imagine
Aw cmon you two. That's a paradoxical amount of ugly, and since the universe hasn't collapsed, I think that means you don't look as bad as you think you do.

OT:

I don't make back-up plans.

I will argue past the point of hurting someone's feelings without realizing.

I also procrastinate which compounds the first one.

I usually wear my interest in subjects out too much, so I end up bored with everything I do.

I don't remember names. I can remember faces, but names are hard for people I don't see daily-Weekly.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
One: Honest to a Fault: Seems odd I guess but I can never hide anything. Not that I ever need to but I think somethings in my life could of turned out better if I could twist the truth just a little bit. This is kind of a problem because some people don't want to hear everything and some situations are better served with some embellishment.

Two: Heavy Over Thinker: I am constantly thinking. There is hardly a moment that my mind is blank or empty. Even in video games, I am constantly going over things. This sucks the most when trying to sleep. Could just be a kind of restlessness, which it why it's a problem. It stops me from sleeping and sometimes I'll think about past things and get into old feelings.

Three: I need a Directive: When there is something I want to do, I get it done. I feel like an unstoppable force. The only problem is getting motivation. Weird thing is, my best motivation is having someone telling/asking me to do something. This is really only a problem until I've given something to do, I just need to find a way to give myself things to do to stay active.

Four: I can't get Angry: Seriously. It feels like no matter what happens, I never get angry or mad. Sure, I'll get frustrated at things but never in negative sense. Maybe it's just better to say that I'm too nice. While not too much of a problem, some situations just require anger, or at least me looking angry. Not sure though, haven't had too many of those.

Five: Super Seclusive: As much as I enjoy hanging out with friends or working at my job, I still find myself enjoying burying myself in a game or some work a whole lot more. It's hard for me to call this a fault since again, I enjoy what I do, but things could/might be better if I wasn't.

theparsonski

May 29, 2010
1 - I care too much what people think: Now, it's not that I'm under-confident. Heck, even if I don't feel confident I can feign it damn well, so usually what people think is fairly good. However, if I make a mistake, especially around people I don't know very well or am uncomfortable around, I will be very worried that they think I'm an idiot.

2 - I can be extremely self-critical, especially in matters of the heart: Essentially, when it comes to love, I'm a massive pessimist. In my mind, if a girl I'm interested in shows any kind of attraction towards me, it must be explained some other way (because who could like a guy like me? - or so my thought process goes). Now obviously my head knows that this is bullshit, and there is no reason that people wouldn't fancy me, but I can't seem to get over this subconscious mental barrier of negativity. I think it stems from childhood experiences, being honest.

3 - I am fiercely, angrily protective: If someone is messing with a person I love, I can lose it with them. Most infamous instance was at a party when some twat I'd never met was shouting and waving a broken bottle at a really close friend of mine. I ended up quite forcefully moving her out of the way and doing a bit of Krav Maga on his ass (had to make the event sound as non-cringey as possible, but basically I beat him down). Whilst many saw this as a super-noble thing to do, the guy I'd attacked cut his arm quite badly upon falling on the broken glass, and had to be taken to hospital. I could've taken the bottle off him with only slightly more difficulty, and that wouldn't have happened, but my temper caused a drunken idiot to get taken to hospital.

4 - I procrastinate with work that I'm not motivated to do: If I want to work, or the end goal of the work is something I want, I will work my ass off. For example with running, I will train a huge amount if I want to win a race. However, often with schoolwork, I just can't be bothered. This leads me to spend time posting about my flaws on an internet forum instead of doing my English coursework.

5 - I'm just too sexy for my shirt: So for a start, I can't wear shirts. This is quite difficult, especially at school, where the regulation states we have to wear shirts. Instead, I had some special tops made with shirt buttons printed on the front to give the impression of a shirt without an actual shirt existing. This works rather well. In addition, I just get so many offers of casual sex, most of the time from pedestrians on the street, that a lot of my time is spent in public toilets pleasuring the latest interested female. This, along with flaw number 4, means I don't get a lot of time to do work.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
1) I'm completely unlikable in every way - If you don't already hate me judging by what I type here, you would if you actually knew me.

2) I'm stupid - I don't know as many things as I ought to.

3) I'm argumentative - Does not go well with the above trait.

5) I'm entitled - I expect people to reciprocate my feelings for them despite point #1.
I like you.

Ok,

1) I'm lazy. I want to be thin like I was when I was young but can't be arsed to exercise. Also I love sleeping.

2) I'm impatient. I hate repeating myself more than once, I hate mindless repetative tasks, I hate queuing despite being English and its what I'm supposed to do.

3) I'm the least photogenic person ever. I will give £100 to anyone who can find a decent picture of me.

4) I have kidnapped and murdered women for the sake of it and will do it again unless someone someone stops me.

5) I take nothing seriously and lie quite a lot.

Vanorae

Oct 5, 2011
Well, now random people know some bad things about me. Making a great impression, everyone.
1. My confidence relies on my academic achievements
Somewhere along the road I decided that if I wasn't going to be very attractive I was going to be smart. So if I fail a test or do worse than I thought I would it really comes down on me hard. Not like for others it goes:'Ugh. I failed'. My mind tells me:'You can't even do that'.I realise that's pretty fucked up now.

2. I avoid confrontation at all costs
I hate arguments or stating when something bothers me. I let it build up inside of me where it turns into a much bigger issue then it would have been if I had just said something about it.

3. I'm shy and have difficulty speaking loudly
I'm only talkative when I know the person I'm speaking to well enough. New people are often pretty intimidating to me so I often remain quiet if there's a conversation going on with a lot of people involved. Whenever I give a presentation or speak in front of a crowd, which isn't exactly my favorite thing to do, I always get the same feedback. You have to speak louder. I think it causes people to take your points less seriously and makes you come across as insecure. Something I have to work on.

4. I apologise for everything
When someone bumps into me, I apologise to them. A while ago when I was on my way to school with a friend I walked into a wall and then apologised to it. That's right. This brings me to my last point.

5. I'm very clumsy
I drop things. I walk into things. I never catch things. On the bright side, it amuses my friends most of the time.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
What are you guys doing!? You're doing it all wrong!

That's not how you list your flaws! Here, let me show you how it's done.

1. I'm so devilishly handsome women don't dare approach me with romantic intentions believing I'm out of their league.
2. I look so intelligent and helpful I'm constantly approached by random strangers asking me for help, it's a wonder how I get anything done at all.
3. I'm so amazingly skilled at what I do that my co-workers frequently say "Fuck it, let Hagi do it. He's so much better at it anyway."
4. I'm so good in bed I blow women's minds. Literally. It's a mess. Takes hours to clean and I still find pieces of bone days later. Quite the turn-off as well.
5. I am not Batman. I probably should be, but I'm not. It's a tough fact to live with, but I manage. Somehow.