your game of the year so far

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Well it's early in the year and there's 8 more months of releases so how could we possibly make this call yet?

Still...

Nioh - Fun and fresh but fizzled out and got boring halfway through. May not even finish it

Zelda BOTW - Same as above except I forced my way through it. Probably will never play again

Torment Numa Numa - Another fizzled out dud at the halfway point. Maybe the problem is me?

Tales of Berseria - Getting hard to keep these straight. I don't know why I play Tales games anymore, I think the last one I liked was Graces. I am a consumer whore.

Mass Effect: Androgyna - Hahahahahahahahaha no

Horizon: Matriarch Dawn - Nope, no interest in more archery games

Persona 5 - Just started playing, it will be hard for anything to top Persona 4 or even Persona 2. Good luck though.

Nier: Automata - Has such a downer and incoherent narrative but damn if it doesn't stick with you. The ending song is still stuck in my head. Probably be the only game I'll remember in 8 months, so yeah good GOTY candidate

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
At this point, I will say Zelda.

Nier is definitely on my list, but this has been a busy month in terms of RPG and exploration-heavy offerings.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to be the only 2017 game this year for me, unless Divinity Original Sin 2 launches in December (highly doubtful), so it wins by default. :p

I wasn't a kickstarter backer and I didn't follow development, so I had no expectations for this to be the Voice of God, whispered from the honeyed lips of divine angels, manifesting itself in the form of a video game, finally answering the question why do we exist.

It's more of a homage to Planescape than a spiritual successor, but I don't mind because the Myst-like esoteric scifi universe is awesome, and it puts a unique spin on the themes of Planescape: Torment. It's really read heavy, and the combat is dull (although sparse), but then again, you have ethical dillemas like killing a child and making an antidote from his spinal fluid to potentially save thousands, so it has the role playing part of the RPG down to a tee.

8/10. If you like oldschool, give it a shot after they patch in the cut content.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For me, it's Nier: Automata since I've had so much time with it. Love the story, the characters, and I've gotten all of the main endings. I know there are several joke ending you can get by dicking around or being stupid, but those can wait.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
way too many good games this year, right now I'm going to say Nier but I haven't beaten P5 yet so that might climb up once I get farther into the game. Still the fact that while I'm playing P5 I'm wishing I was playing P5 I think it's safe to say that right now Nier is my GOTY

Jan 19, 2016
I'll probably get booted from Escapist for admitting this, but I haven't actually played anything released in 2017 yet. I've been too busy playing Overwatch and slogging through the never ending AP grind in WoW. I do want to play Nier, Nioh, and Horizon, and I'm intrigued by Persona 5, but raid preparation has to come first.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Haven't gotten around to any yet, but the next on my list is RE7. Being a rather avid fan of RE6, rare as that is, makes me very keen to see what they've done with it, and if it's as good as people say it is, despite looking nothing like an RE game. I'm still playing through Mafia 3 (I only got it on sale recently, refused to play full price, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be, but does get tiresome after awhile, and makes you just wanna shuffle things along a bit).

I'm also concurrently playing through the F1 2016 championship season in tandem with the 2017 F1 season this year, something I do every other year, depending on if the games are any good. Having an excellent time with this one, maybe because I'm not being so hard on myself and lowering the difficulty a bit, and my *purist* expectations line up with my work schedule.

I will definitely splurge on a few 2017 games once I get a ps4, besides the other exclusives I really can't wait to play Yakuza 0 and Nier: Automata. For some reason I can't get it on Steam, it seems to have never gotten a South east Asian release, and haven't heard any news of a realistic date.

Other than that, I can't decide whether to try the amazing Horizon: ZD, or the brutally difficult Nioh. I haven't played a Souls game since Dark Souls itself, while I enjoyed it and played the crap out of it, I'm not sure I'm up for the amount of commitment a game suc as that deserves. Ubisoft games has got me burnt out on open world a bit, but I've heard such good things about it from my brother (and the rest of the internet) that I'm wondering if I should really give it a shot soon.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
... Mass Effect 3? All the attention given to Andromeda made me finally decide to play ME3, which I was holding off after all the stuff I heard about it. Yeah, the ending is pretty bad, even with the updates, but the journey was fun.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Horizon Zero Dawn is my pick right now - it might get knocked off by Nier Automata, but I'm still working my way through the first Nier before I play that. And no Switch to play Zelda, well...

Though, I've heard good things about Person 5 - have zero experience with the Persona series, but I'm getting it for my birthday so we'll see how it goes.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Hmmm... Either Salt & Sanctuary, ICEY or Torment: Tides of Numenera.

I'd probably give it to S&S. 2D Dark Souls with Chef as a starting class choice? Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Ummm... Can I say Chrono Trigger?

Yeah I... haven't actually gotten a new-new game this year, I've been catching up on some old classics I never played.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
It's probably going to be Persona 5, but honestly 2017's been such a good year for games so far it's hard to pick. Seriously, so many games here could easily have won GOTY status if they were released any other year.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Games I've played this year? BioShock (though I'm still playing it, so it could do a nosedive).

Games that came out this year? Have't purchased any.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Battletech.

Now, I'll grant, it hasn't released yet. BUT, I have had a chance to play the early build of the game extensively and, even if it released as is, it'd be my game of the year (so far). Harebrained Schemes just got so much right with the game, from the game mechanics to the look and feel of the world and designs to the sounds and music to the story. It just oozes Battletech while being a damn fantastic turn-based strategy game.

But fine, since I'm sure most will say that doesn't count, I'm gonna go with Rain World. It's an amazing puzzle/platformer with incredible style and atmosphere. It wears its Metroid inspirations on its sleeve but it does some rather cool things with that basic exploration-heavy formula.

I'm yet to play Nier: Automata, Yooka-Laylee, and Horizon: Zero Dawn, all of which I really want to try. So maybe one of them will take the top slot?

Likewise, there's a very good chance either Hob or Dusk will drop this year, and they look awesome. So, we'll see.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Persona isnt out till next month in the backwater continent of Europe, so until then im ruling with Nier: Automata.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Admittedly I haven't played many games this year so maybe there are other really good games out there. I really do like Zelda though.