Your gaming "kryptonite"

Smallfry

Aug 6, 2010
What this is, is basically things that cripple either your gaming experience or the game itself for you. Mine would be multiple boss battles one after the other. Don't get me wrong, an epic boss battle here and there is a good thing, but if you have 3 or 4 bosses all lined up?

So tell me, Escapist, what is your gaming "kryptonite"?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Item Creation/Alchemy as a core mechanic of gameplay.

Fuck. You. NIS.

Especially the systems that basically require a guide and hours of grinding to get the most out of.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 3.

I love the game, but I suck at it.

Probably because the controls are absolutely foreign to me.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
Loading Screens that don't fit in.

At least Portal 2's loading screens made sense.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
A game being too easy or the story beingt too bad can completely kill all interest I have in a game, even though the gameplay might be the best thing ever.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
cheap games, like Call of Duty on veteran. A guy blind firing from across the courtyard and killing you instantly isnt hard its cheap. Also underwater levels, lost me a bit at DMC and GoD of War. And mario, just underwater=/= fun.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Miles000 said:
Loading Screens that don't fit in.

At least Portal 2's loading screens made sense.
Mass Effect 2 somehow made me want the elevators back...

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Metal Gear Solid 3.

I love the game, but I suck at it.

Probably because the controls are absolutely foreign to me.
Funny you should mention it.
Rapid switch of controls is my gaming kryptonite. For example, I've been playing a game on my PSP where X is to confirm certains options and square for attacks, but then I just recently put in MGS 3 where O is to confirm and triangle is the action button. It takes me a bit to adapt back to it.

But if that doesn't count as kryptonite, I'd say too many sidequests...or open endings.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
When it's obvious that finishing the game will leave you without a single inspiring thought or emotion.

madriani

Jul 16, 2009
Games that were awesome about five years ago, but failed to age well...
I'm looking at you Sanity's Darkness: Eternal Requiem!

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Puzzles, even the most basic ones can get me stuck.
For instance, there was seriously a part in Half life 2 before you got to Ravenholm where you have to break a lock on a door with your Crow-Bar, and it took me 40 minutes to find that out and it would've taken more if I didn't look up the walk through...Needles to say, I didn't enjoy Orcarina of Time either.

Smallfry

Aug 6, 2010
I've got another one. AI that appears to have been programed by a 5 year old. The Bloodwing in Borderlands I found to be notorious for this. I ordered it to attack the boss character.

What does it do?

It attacks the MIDGET standing ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROOM.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
it's actually surprisingly easy for me to lose interest in a game. There are a huge list of things that can easily turn me off of the game even before I gave it a fair shake

- narrative dissonance between how powerful my character is supposed to be vs. how powerful they actually are. i.e. a superman game where superman gets taken down by a single stray bullet, Contra style? sorry.

- games that give you missions to collect multiple items of the same type. i.e. collecting 12 wolf pelts or some such. Doubly so if the act of collecting these items are not fun in the first place.

- narrative dissonance through characterization is another big one. Certain types of characterization are just too foreign to make any sense in certain settings. i.e. a far flung post apocalyptic setting with a genki school girl? sorry, doesn't work for me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Smallfry said:
Mine would be multiple boss battles one after the other. Don't get me wrong, an epic boss battle here and there is a good thing, but if you have 3 or 4 bosses all lined up?
It isn't so bad when they heal you in between fights but that hardly ever happens. I hate when you get those but what's worse are old-school final bosses. The most recent example I can think of would be The Wizard from Castle Crashers who has 4 or 5 different forms that you must kill before the game is officially beaten (story mode anyway). Not kryptonite, just an annoyance.

What I really, really can't stand are current platformers like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. You think you've found the ledge you need to climb onto but no: that's background and that background will make you die. Not necessarily die but still...Stupid adventure games...

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Bosses with regenerating health if you don't keep beating them to death. If I take a second to let my fingers rest from button mashing for 5 minutes straight, the big boss shouldn't be getting health back!