Your Gaming Roots

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
First game: Skate or Die (I was an 80's skater-kid)

I'm currently obsessed with Mass Effect 2 on PS3. LOOOVE IT!!! Mordin is awesome!

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Well, if you want me to go all the way back, the very first games I ever played were stuff like Reader Rabbit.

Proper first game probably included Donald Duck Quack Attack. After than it was Warcraft 3 and then to top it all off HL2.

I'd go first Donald Duck, most loved WC3 and HL2. I can't chose between them :3

DigitalLight

Jan 17, 2011
My first console was the Atari 7800, with Akari Warriors, Scrapyard Dog and way too many "space" themed games. But the first games I played were on the Mac Plus in school, like Billiards, Albert's House, Scarab of RA and Dark Castle.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
my first game was Think Tank on the PC. That was some challenging shit for a 5 year-old. After that, i guess, a first real game was The Mummy. Oh the happy memories.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
my first game was "V-Rally" on PS1, fav games of childhood had to be spyro and crash bandicoot

SEPECAT

Nov 15, 2010
I'm not counting educational stuff like Reader Rabbit so I'm going with Mechwarrior 2 when I was 6 years old (I'm 21 now). I'm still trying to install it on my new computer but the game's just too old.

neon flame

Jul 19, 2009
The first game I played was Mario Brothers on the NES, but I was 4 and had to regularly give my brother the controller to get me past big jumps and enemies. The first game I played myself was Sonic 2 on the sega genesis, and the first game I finished was Spiderman on ps1.

The games I loved the most were Pokemon Red, Goldeneye (though only because it was the one multiplayer game that I could beat my brothers at) and, again, Spiderman.

Today, I'll play games from any genre, so long as they're good. I generally buy old games second hand, like Planescape: Torment, Thief 1 & 2, the GBA Fire Emblems, so on. The newest game I have is Prince of Persia: Two Thrones on ps2, which is nearly 6 years old. I got it for 50p in a store that was trying to clear all it's ps2 games. Happy day :D

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
First game: Mario Bros.

Favourite game growing up: Donkey Kong Country 2.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
Video games in general: 2 year old and playing Zelda/Mario.

PC gaming: 6 y/o playing Age of Empires. About 4 years later it spiralled.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Started playing back when I was 3/4/5 on DOS, which I couldn't work so my dad had to start all my games for me.

I remember playing Tomb Raider and Crusader the most but I have a long long long list of games since them and I can't say for sure what the first ones I played were.

First console was my cousins SNES which she was nice enough to give to me when she went to college. Loved Donkey Kong, Batman and some top down survival shooters.

Never owned a PS1 but I played it at friends houses, was always a hardcore pc gamer btw.

First online game was Halo:CE on p.c, played it on a 56k modem.

Now I'm still a PC gamer, playing everything but especially sandbox MMO's like Mortal Online.

Jul 13, 2010
The first game that really had any impact on me what Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey. I'd played a Flight Simulator or two and racing game before that, but as a six year first taking on a game like LBA2 was certainly life changing and well truly got me into gaming. It also set the bar at unreachable heights for game length as it took me about 4-5 months to beat the game the first time (I was six after all, and apparently I had an amazing attention span, which is now long gone) and ever since every game I've finished has felt a bit to short.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
My gaming roots are tied with Commodore. Mainly c64 and Amiga. The first memorable game I remember playing was Atari Pong on the home console.

the-Wind

Jan 29, 2011
I love the grand adventure, and epic scope that some titles have achieved. Here are three games that stood out for me over the years.

Privateers 2 : A stand-out game that got great visuals due to it being a Dos-based engine. The game featured amazing space dog-fights and was mission based so you could pursue the plot missions or noodle around on side missions. Huge story arc, challenging AI & FREEDOM!

DeusEX: All time fond-memory favorite. Played it through 11 times and continued to discover new elements, tactics and places even after the eigth time through. A bit onerous with all the crate-smashing & inventory choices but the level of detail made for great replayability.
Groundbreaking for it's time. (please ignore it's first sequel 'DeusEx/Invisible war': awful.)

Scrapland: A singular delight for the eyes. Everyone who has a beef with 'brown shooters' should find a copy of this game. Works great on a new system with a USB joystick and the graphics scale-up seamlessly. Yes, some people may not dig the on-foot mini missions but this game is worth it for the arcade-style flying. The flyers cannot be pancaked for hitting walls, only shot down by a foe. The racing is a blast with a huge variety of maps and styles.
The controls allow for freedom of movement unmatched anywhere. *Definately not a flight-sim = ]
Thrust forward or reverse.
Hover upwards or downwards (while any other maneouvers are happening)
Pitch up & down.
The side-sliping is half strafe and half roll but very intuative.
On-board afterburners. (Recharge rate dependant on your hull-type)
Grav/tractor beam to help acceration or hook onto the lead racer ahead of you. (like drafting)

Add to that: cool guns great models & animation, & Booster-gates everywhere so...
the game engine allows you to maintain most of your boosted momentum until you bump into someone/wall or the gradual effect of wind resistance slows you to cruising speed. (find the nearest boost-gate or hit afterburners again.) WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Hats off to the developement team & American McGee on this one. No game has such a smooth feeling speed and motion. She just purrs along seamlessly while letting you hone your piloting skills & explore.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
Gaming roots. The real basis here is River Raid and Zaxxon on the C64, after that Danger Dave and Captain Comic on a dos machine.
Later i got unreal and the whole sierra city building thing going, and baldur's gate 2.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I'm pretty sure it was Super Mario World was my first

I loved the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot series as well as Yoshi's Island and Link to The Past.I started making up differant stories for the game because I played them so much.

Now I play mostly JRPGS and some action games on occasion.Though I still do love platformers.

ShrooM_DoughKiD

Jan 14, 2010
Started playing DOOM2 When I was 5
Moved onto Duke Nukem
Shadow Warrior
Hexen
All these on PC

Then I got my first SNES
Super Mario - The Full Catalog
Zelda - A Link To The Past
Super Mario Kart

Stopped for a while until I got my first PC and started playing very mainstream games;
Diablo II
GTA3
UT 04'

I've played a few games over the years, but... I still need to play a lot of the games that matter.
(I.E) Psychonaughts. Mass Effect. I've missed a lot

Oh. And there's The N64 in there as well.. but I figure the List is long enough as it is.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
as far as I can think, the first thing I played was probably Duckhunt. Maybe mega-bomberman or streets of rage or goldenaxe.