Your Health Will Regenerate in Resident Evil 6

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Your Health Will Regenerate in Resident Evil 6

"Wait a moment, let me duck down and heal from this zombie bite."

Since Resident Evil 4, Capcom's landmark survival horror series has gradually become less, well, survival-horror-y. Co-op play in brightly lit desert environments in RE5 wasn't very scary. The upcoming Resident Evil 6 will add another standard action game trope to the franchise's growing library thereof: health that regenerates over time.

In all fairness, the series' trademark healing herbs aren't going away entirely. The player's health in RE6 will be divided into health blocks rather than one single gauge. Any damage that the player takes in the current box will gradually regenerate, but if one of the blocks is completely depleted, the player will need to use a healing herb to restore it.

Some will laud this change as a desperately needed modernization that the series has needed for some time, like the ability to shoot while moving. Still, it's hard to feel like these quality-of-life improvements to make the game more accessible are taking away from both the "survival" and "horror" parts of the experience.

If you can just duck behind a wall to heal from injuries, can monsters really be that scary? And if you don't need to make the choice to use a precious healing herb to make it through the next section, what are you surviving?

On the other hand, terrible fixed camera angles made the games scarier, too - and I don't think anyone wants to go back to those.

Source: Gameranx [http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/7721/article/resident-evil-6-now-features-regenerating-health/]

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I don't think Capcom can or will make it scary by this point since it is Capcom we are talking about.

Just enjoy the ride guys...on the corpse of your childhood.BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well that was funny

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Most of them are getting far too easy now anyway, especially the long running franchises.

I just got the Devil May Cry HD collection yesterday and I'm getting my head kicked in. I can't even get past the puppets on the 2nd level for crying out loud! Maybe its just age.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
it may work, but even if it does it isnt going to help with the whole survival horror part of the game. It just seems like a pointless addition in the best case scenario to me.

seems to me there just trying to turn up controversy with this.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
The7Sins said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
I think this is the way to do regening health: partially, not all the way.
No the way to do regenerating health is none @ all.
I said it was the way to do regening health, not that regening health was any good. Regen doesn't have any place in a horror game. Still, I'm glad that they're doing this halfway comprimise thing rather then just going the whole hog.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Someone is going to be outraged by this.

Reminds me of how Far Cry 2 did health, with bars the would regenerate as long as they were not completely empty. Otherwise you would have to inject yourself with magic.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Partial regenerating health bar?

How many sequels till I'm just playing Resistance Evil 8?

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
It's like the first Resistance: Fall of Man game, the health bar is split into sections (four in all) that refills over time but not the one that's empty one so each time you fight you cannot allow another bar to be lost cause you'll heal even "less" and can die faster in one hit if you don't use a health item against the stronger enemies.

Example:
[/quote]

I find this to be a acceptable compromise though I am sad that the reliance on health items have been given less priority but given the amount of fast relentless enemies you will encounter at the same time it makes sense

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
When I saw the headline I let out a sigh if disgust. After I found out it was just a lesser version of that I let out a slightly softer sigh.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Why don't they stop beating around the bush and make Call of Resident Duty.
Or just replace the zombie section in Black Ops 2 with RE6. At least people still enjoy the zombie mode in Black Ops

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I got all worried for a second. But that is the one way to do regenerative health right.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Eh so basically there's no more questioning on taking the herb or not? That's disappointing. Why do they think they need to try and draw in players who enjoy health regen? Don't they realize those people wouldn't leave their COD's and BF's for a game that is trying to claim survival horror?

Also, why is it we have yet to get a sandbox racoon city game? I might be willing to overlook this whole regen thing, IF I was tossed into a RE zombie filled setting after the outbreak.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Escape from Butcher Bay approach, huh? Alright, whatever. It's not as though I'm getting this game anyway.

I have no intention of paying $120 for a $60 game.

Also, still not big on the move-and-shoot thing. I thought having to stand still to aim was part of what made Resident Evil 4 quite so fun.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
bafrali said:
I don't think Capcom can or will make it scary by this point since it is Capcom we are talking about.

Just enjoy the ride guys...on the corpse of your childhood.BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well that was funny
Eh... not that funny. but funnier than this.

Apr 28, 2008
So... the same healing system that's in Chronicles of Riddick, Far Cry 2, and Resistance Fall of Man?

I'm ok with this. It lets you have the tension of being short on health without the bullshit of getting royally screwed by hitting a checkpoint at 2% health.