your hipster thing

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, I agree. The people who tend to attack moe are typically just lazy/ignorant.

There are some sexist things in some moe materials, but it has nothing to do with moe and everything to with other problems in society. Calling moe sexist is like shooting the messenger.

It also seems equally ignorant to treat moe as the antithesis of badass like some people do. There are plenty of badasses in the moe fandom.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
LilithSlave said:
Yeah, I agree. The people who tend to attack moe are typically just lazy/ignorant.

There are some sexist things in some moe materials, but it has nothing to do with moe and everything to with other problems in society. Calling moe sexist is like shooting the messenger.

It also seems equally ignorant to treat moe as the antithesis of badass like some people do. There are plenty of badasses in the moe fandom.
And they brand everything with their ignorance, as though all moe is just one thing.

Here's three images, one is different than the others, all are moe, if you can't tell the difference it's your problem! :D

To those people, just cite Berserk, it contains both horrible arm-chopping, eye-gouging and demon horse rape while at the same time having pixies in school swimsuits and other cutsey stuff. It's one of the best manga too.

Mastercylinder

Jun 27, 2010
I dislike calling it "hipster" but . . .

One or two uber-obscure bands on my ipod that I say in conversation to confuse people is nice.
Also, obscure movie references, love those.
Having an undecided opinion on the 'Watchmen' movie.
Reading Osamu Tezuka works . . . oh, and actual BOOKS, with the paper flap dealios that you turn.
Actually enjoying the original Matrix and not turning it into a joke in my head.
Having long hair instead of a buzzcut (amazing).
Living in California without smoking "Mary-jane".
Defending both "Tron" films almost daily.
Knowing a lot of really weird technical things about Disneyland (hidden storage areas, small ride changes, what imagineer did what, references to extinct rides etc.)
Laughing at the word "Curling" (the sport).
and
Knowing about "Buckaroo Banzai" . . .

General Grind

Oct 31, 2011
Giest4life said:
Malazan Book of the Fallen--I love to rub in the fact in the faces of Fantasy geeks that they haven't even heard of the greatest fantasy epic of our time.
A true believer! Although I usually don't go the hipster route when I'm talking about it. I'm more the "PLEASE READ THIS, ITS SO GOOD! COOOME OOON! JUST TRY IT!" kind of guy. Alas, most my friends sees the covers and the colossal size of the series and turns around. Got a good friend to start reading them though. Naturally, he was spellbound as well.

Also, I'm a hipster in the sense that I like to rip on people who think Twilight\Eragon\Nicholas Sparks is well written and on people who think Two and a Half Men\Other bad tv-series and movies are well made. Also a Darren Aronofsky fanboy, which strikes me as very hipsterish.