Your home town's claim to fame

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Town was named after a famous Jewish Ukrainian poet which laid the groundwork for the further development of the Hebrew language. Many idioms and other expressions came from his writings and his work is highly regarded as the finest in its time and even now.
So... not so famous.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
My hometown was Frankfort, Ohio. Uh... I know they filmed a movie there once but aside from that there isn't anything special about it. Not a thing, it was a very boring place to grow up.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
London, England so.... lots of stuff. I guess more specifically I was born in Hammersmith, home of the Hammersmith & City line, of Tube fame!

hashtag

Oct 30, 2011
Toronto. We have the CN tower. That's pretty cool. Like...it's tall and tower shaped.
Wow that sounded a lot worse than it did in my head.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
During the Easter Rising the rebels called on towns across Ireland to rise up and overthrow the British. My town was the only one that did...... by which I mean 45 guys attacked the local police station.

There's a monument near the edge of the town, and every year someone puts a wreath up. This kind of freaks out the older generation who were alive back when the situation with the IRA was much worse, so people tend not to go near the place. I think the reason the wreath stays up for so long is because everyone is secretly afraid to get rid of it.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden.
Uhm... tons of things.... The royal family lives here. Guess that counts.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Diamond Creek.

I have heard different reasons for why it was called Diamond Creek, with the first one being Diamonds were found in a creek.

And the actual one is... (thank you wiki) ... Huh..... Well, I preferred diamonds but it was actually that a bull drowned in the creek. The bull was called Diamond. Thank you wiki, for destroying my childhood knowledge of the town.

Anyway, because we aren't famous for diamonds, then I guess Cadel Evans.

But he's not made out of diamonds......

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Hemel Hempstead was mentioned in Broken Sword 2 and we have a funny roundabout that goes the other way.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Irvington.

Washington Irving lived here, and the town is now named after him.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
Trololo Punk said:
Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
First prime minister of Canada's birth place. Canada's first Capital city (I think).
Also Fort Henry. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Henry,_Ontario)
Fort Henry is pretty cool, I'll be visiting Kingston again last week of Dec (my mom lives there) so we're hoping to visit a couple other big sites, like that special train thats kept there and stuff

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
The playwright and essayist William Hazlitt was a native of the town, and the local (tiny) theatre is named after him.

A battle was fought here during the Civil War. Some of the old buildings have bullet marks on them.

Oh, and one of the areas on the town has the highest teen pregnancy rate in Europe.

rangerman351

Dec 27, 2010
OK, Staten Island New York (if any one mentions Snooki i'll break their face)
Movies filmed partially or wholly on Staten Island include:
Analyze This
The Astronaut's Wife
A Beautiful Mind
Big Daddy
Big Fan
Donnie Brasco
Easy Money
Freedomland
The Godfather
GoodFellas
He Knows You're Alone
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Little Children
Neighbors
"The Other Guys" (2010)
Scent of a Woman
School of Rock
Shamus
Sisters
Sorry, Wrong Number
Splendor in the Grass
Staten Island, a 2009 film by James DeMonaco
The Toxic Avenger
Two Family House
War of the Worlds
Working Girl

And Killmeyer's Old Bavarian Inn was a Nazi hot spot during the 30s and 40s

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
The actor who was the body for R2D2 lives in fucking Preston!

/thread.

Oh and Wade Barrett from WWE was born here, and Sir Tom Finney, Andrew Flintoff, Ian Kirkham from Simply Red, Nick Park (the guy who made Wallace and Gromit) and Colin Potter from Nurse with Wound.

Jelly?