Your home town's claim to fame

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
My town is right next to the meth-production capital of the world. Says it all, doesn't it?

There was also an episode of X-Files that allegedly took place here, although having watched the episode I can say that it certainly wasn't shot here.

gizunt

Nov 20, 2009
I live in Rehovot, Israel sooo.... Machon Fucking Weizman!!! it's an institute with physics and chemistry and science... BIG science!!

klakkat

May 24, 2008
I was born in Pueblo, Colorado. They have two U.S. records, attained in the 70s and still standing to this day. I don't think these are still world records, but they were for a time.

-Most bars per capita
-Most alcohol consumed in a 24 hour period per capita

Sarmos

Mar 28, 2010
Bay of Fundy area, Nova Scotia, Canada.

World's highest and lowest Ocean tides.
the water level goes up and down over thirty feet every day, twice a day. Seriously.
Here, look it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Fundy

Grottnikk said:
Sidney Crosby grew up here. For a Canadian that's pretty cool :)
dude, your from cole harbor? sweet. Nice to see another Nova Scotian on here. =D

Osbojo

Apr 18, 2010
Kennewick, Washington has the 7/11 that sells the most slurpees per year worldwide

Discon

Sep 14, 2009
Sandefjord, Norway. Huuuuge in whaling some decades ago, and has a surprisingly high amount of violence for a city with only 42k residents. Relatively famous writer Dag Solstad, whom none of you have probably heard of, but whose writing is being compared to quality of great Norwegian writers such as Ibsen, was born and raised here.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Mine was on the News

I know Kate Moss comes from my town, that's something I guess.

Volodanti

Aug 18, 2009
Newbiggin's claims to fame:

1. Site of the first Anglo-Scandinavian Telegraph pole
2. Formerly 3rd most important port in England
3. Oldest Methodist Church in Britain.

Also where 'Room at the Top' was written, but that's pretty incidental...

HoradricNoob

Jan 31, 2010
Greers Ferry, Arkansas happens to have the distinction of being one of JFK's final stops before making his way to Dallas in '63 :/

The Lake is really nice too.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Fort Worth a bunch of cows stop here giving it the nickname cowtown

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
I live in Gloulds, a Part of Miami-Dade county Florida. Our biggest thing is that a few members of the Miami Heat(Basketball) and Miami Dolphins(American Football) are from here. My high school has produced a lot of NFL players as well.

Grog289

Sep 1, 2011
The lovely Portland Oregon is famous for some of the best beer in the world, the biggest independently owned bookstore in the world (powells), and most strip clubs per capita.

Noteable celebrities who call Portland home include Matt Groening (who graduated from my high school) and The Decemberists, an awesome chart-topping indie band.

trollax

Aug 1, 2011
My Small town of Lucas has strangw art like Grassroots Art Center
Here are some of the strage pictures of art via google

Aug 1, 2010
Mount Shasta, California...

Our only claim to fame is our mountain, which is supposed to be the center of all spirituality in the US, or something.

It means our entire population is Hippies and Conspiracy Theorists.....

Stormanne

Mar 28, 2008
Saint Albans, WV. Only thing that St. Albans is remotely known for is being the oldest, regularly settled town or village in the United States. There are many towns that are far older. But, St. Albans, once founded, has existed undisturbed since. The Revolutionary War ignored it, the French-Indian War stayed well away from it, and the Civil War rowed right on by it. Hell, the very first home, known a the Patton House (no relation to Gen. Patton, though the builders great, great grandson did fight in the Civil War) still stands on its original foundation...at the corner of Kanawha Terrace and Pennsylvania Ave.