Your home town's claim to fame

Awsomeotaku

Mar 31, 2011
Robert E. Howard, sci-fi authour, creator of Conan the barbarian, is an alumni at my high school. Need I say more

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN

The band Petra was formed there. (yay?)

Fawn Liebowitz was from Fort Wayne

Harry Baals was our mayor (pronounced 'balls') and mentioned on Jay Leno

yeah it's not that exciting here

xWestie

Apr 13, 2010
Where I live, apparently Lewis Carroll (The Author of Alice in Wonderland) was born here =) We have a marble statue of the Mad Hatters Tea Party in town centre.

Also, if anyone happens to have ever heard of the band 911. They were from Warrington too x3

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA.

There is a Wikipedia article on the movies filmed here, and other than that, we have the #1 team in the NFL(probably?). Not a big list, but it adds to the flavor of the place.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Easton, PA is where Crayola Crayon are made. Easton, Philadelphia and Trenton, NJ were the citis where the Declaration of Independence was originally read. It's not a big town, but it's got a lot of historical value.

That's all I got.

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
My village invented Rugby Sevens, the Kaleidoscope and apparently we have Robert the Bruce's heart.

Zebidizy

Apr 8, 2009
Titanic was built in the dockyards of Belfast. That is probably its biggest worldwide claim to fame.
Also Gary Moore
footballer George Best
The Troubles

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Random berk said:
CrashBang said:
My home town (Hereford, England) isn't really famous for anything except for the Mappa Mundi and cider but I recently found out that Frank Oz (the voice of Yoda and Miss Piggy) was originally born there and then moved to the USA.

Pretty awesome.
Isn't Hereford where the SAS are based?
Yeah and that's why nobody's ever heard of Hereford cos they keep it under the radar. So shhhh!

chronicfc

Jun 1, 2011
Blyth, we have several good FA Cup runs every now and then, and Blyth Spartans like to think they are the most famous minnows, which we probably are. We had a large coal mining industry 30 years back, we import a lot of pulp from Norway. About 10 years back we were featured on an episode of Panorama and called the "Drugs Capital of England" and, very recently, we have the testing facilities and whatnot of NaREC, making us one of the centres of alternative energy, go team.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Victoria BC, It's a beautiful city, it's claim to fame is comprised of it's very existence, it's full of historic stuff and touristy places. There's too many things to name really, aside from it being pretty warm all year round yet being in canada...
I think it snowed for like a day last year, and it only stayed on the ground for like 3 maybe 4 days before it warmed up and rained it away.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
Bridgend? oh nothing much just the fact it has a mass suicide reputation because a bunch of selfish pricks hung themselves, and yes they were selfish, they had no isses going on and all were pretty well off in terms of money, i know this because i knew some of them and i know people who knew the rest so it is not an assumption

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
CrashBang said:
Random berk said:
CrashBang said:
My home town (Hereford, England) isn't really famous for anything except for the Mappa Mundi and cider but I recently found out that Frank Oz (the voice of Yoda and Miss Piggy) was originally born there and then moved to the USA.

Pretty awesome.
Isn't Hereford where the SAS are based?
Yeah and that's why nobody's ever heard of Hereford cos they keep it under the radar. So shhhh!
Oh, shit. Sorry I gave away the location of your top secret military base. And on an international forum too, that was a major slip up wasn't it? Well, at least the locations of Buckinghham palace and No. 10 Downing Street are still a secret. Those are also secret, right?:)

llew said:
Bridgend? oh nothing much just the fact it has a mass suicide reputation because a bunch of selfish pricks hung themselves, and yes they were selfish, they had no isses going on and all were pretty well off in terms of money, i know this because i knew some of them and i know people who knew the rest so it is not an assumption
They didn't meet their end by jumping off a bridge? Thats somewhat disappointing.

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
Hmm... Caister...

Well, for people who know their jail history... Sarah Martin lived in Caister. But that's about it. Oh, and that it was a Roman outpost.

As for now... Ely... Well, there's a cathedral, and some film was shot there.

Hawkmoon269

Apr 14, 2011
Ipswich. You remember that ripper who killed a whole bunch of prostitutes last year? Yup, thats my town.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
My home town of Gloucester, VA shares it's claims to fame with neighboring counties.

It is the area in which General Cornwallis surrendered to the American colonists/French Navy near the end of the American Revolutionary War, the York River on our southern border (I say "our" but I don't live there anymore) was once blockaded by General Cornwallis by sinking a line of ships across it's mouth to keep the French out.

It is also home to "fort nonsense" the fort built backwards with it's ramparts facing the wrong way to protect the area from attack.

It is also the home of the Daffodil Festival.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Langley, or Fort Langley to be exact was the first capitol of British Columbia before that title was given to Victoria.

GrizzlyLives

May 26, 2011
My home town is famous because a large bank is named after it,
I live in Halifax, in England, West Yorkshire