Your home town's claim to fame

The Keeper

Feb 19, 2009
I was born in the city of Springfield; in the commonwealth of Massachusetts of the United States. The major claims to fame are:

1) They are the birthplace of basketball.

2) The armory is well known, and produced the first American-made musket. Also where Shays' Rebellion took place.

3) I believe the first accusation of witch craft in the 1600's happened there

However most people in the surrounding area know it as the place where nobody wants to live. :p

At the moment, I live in the nearby city of Holyoke. Their major claim to fame is that volleyball was invented there. I can live with that. I always preferred volleyball.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
My hometown of Lanigan (Saskatchewan) is known for its potash mine (that it essentially annexed from another town called Guernsey which is located about 5-10 minutes closer to the mine) which I think is famous for being the largest single shaft mine in Canada (I thought it might be in North America or maybe with world, but I learned that at least ten years ago so don't quote me on this)

As well as if anyone has head of Wade or Sheldon Brookbank in the NHL, yeah my oldest brother grew up with them. It was kinda cool :p

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Paladin Anderson said:
My home town of Union City, Pa made it to number one on a David Letterman top 10 list some years back.

For what?

Town with the highest teen pregnancy rate of the country....
Hey, you're not that far from me. I'm in Erie, PA.

We have Presque Isle State Park, and this is where Oliver Hazard Perry's fleet was built in the summer of 1813.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Famous retired MLB player Darryl Strawberry lives like 50 or so yards from my house, I can see it from my porch. Ya not much other than that though.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
Ormeau, Queensland, Australia.

Nothing ever happens, nothing has ever happened and nothing ever will happen.

wottabout

May 4, 2011
Um, we supposedly had a tree that was planted during the American Revolution, although I had never heard of it until it fell down in a wind storm and a friend mentioned it to me. Otherwise, I got nothing.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Westminister, Colorado.

Has a sword fighting group that is basically wrestling in medieval times with weapons. I personally work for them.... Also, I live here.

Dranae

Apr 19, 2011
George Washington apparently called it the most beautiful place he had ever seen!

And... uh...

um...

Yeah, that's about it.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Steubenville, OH... is known for Dean Martin, Traci Lords, and Jimmy "The Greek". Not known for anything else other than people. And really corrupt police.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
cheyenne wyoming famous for two things
1) we hold the largest outdoor rodeo in the world.
and
2)we are by far the smallest capital in the US.

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
Tulsa, Oklahoma.

We were once the oil capital of the world.
And we had some race riots..
And a giant ass ice storm..
And we're the 8th fattest city..

But we have some good food.
And Bill Hader came from here...

And apparently Bill Goldberg, undefeated wrestler...
That's pretty cool.

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
the bosten tea party started where I used to live, now I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere menifee C.A, which only bragging rights is 8th most teenage suicides because of anti gay bullying instigated by the local church. I know fun.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
My town went through a period before the civil war where it didn't have a name. It was sometimes called "Hell Town" because of all the crime and trouble that went on in it. fast forward to the civil war and a regiment of soliders (its northern va so i can't rember if it was Union or Confederate that was in the town) were running drills but the commanding officer realized that none of his men knew there left from there right so he pointed to an oak tree and said "Front, the royal oak." and proceed to show them left and right. Someone over heard this and now the town is called "Front Royal"

...yup my town got its name because a group of people didn't know right from left.

Naal

Feb 24, 2009
Fullerton, California. It's where the show "Leave it to Beaver" was set in.