Your "I'm an idiot" moments in gaming.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So yesterday, I was playing through Wind Waker HD. This was my very first playthrough of the game, so I didn't really know what to expect in terms of puzzles.

So I just entered the Forbidden Woods and found myself wandering around the first room for a good five minutes trying to figure out what to do. I figured the green vines that were hanging from the trees were connected to the eyeball on the door, so I was trying to figure out how to cut them down.

Eventually, I was running around carrying the giant walnut, wondering what to do with it, and without thinking, threw it at the door, which killed the eyeball and opened the door.

I just stared at the screen for a while and then facepalmed. Sometimes, the simplest solution is often the best one.

So anyway, what about you guys? Ever found yourself stuck on a relatively simple puzzle, went about it the wrong way for a while and realized how dumb you were being when you finally solved it?

I like to call it, the DSP effect. :p

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My biggest moment was in a game of LoL. Luckily for me it was with friends. Our jungler came up top lane for a gank and I failed to go in on him in time. This resulted in a double kill for him and him becoming fed as hell. He was 18 when the rest of us were 12 and had a full build by 25 minutes in. He just decimated out entire team and the only way we could kill him was by 1v5ing him. Felt like a total dumbass for costing us that game.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Yesterday in Xcom: Enemy Within I used the upgraded rocket launcher on a group of Heavy Floaters and Muton's. The upgraded version can home in on enemies and so doesn't need line of sight. It promptly went through the door, turned around and hit them all.

The problem with this is that the wall it also hit happened to be the only thing between them and almost my entire squad. This squad had now been flanked inadvertently by the enemy thanks to my stupidity.

I was very lucky because one of the enemies missed and the other only used a grenade (which doesn't gain an advantage from flank attacks).

I do wonder why I rush my attacks in that game. It is turn based so there is no hurry whatsoever.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Left4Dead, the original. Was playing online with friends. Bumped a key, and let my mouse slip, accidently torching the generator room with a molotov that lit two gasoline jugs. Killed everyone. I felt bad, so I immediately said "Fuck. Sorry, sorry, sorry!" over the mic and quit the game. Didn't go back on my steam for a few days. Friends weren't even annoyed, they thought it was hilarious.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
idarkphoenixi said:
I often forget what colour team I'm supposed to be on, leaving to some very awkward teamkills.
I actually do this kinda often. I've made it a habit in some games like Halo to melee the air so I can see my arms and find out what team I'm on.

Then I get to run out and make the mistake of actually chasing the guy with the rocket launcher while he's reloading. Only to get blown away in the end. *face-desk*

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
I had what could probably be considered a moment of complete brain failure in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit a few months back. I was close to the front of the pack, racing against a few other AI, when one of them passes me. I see that he is now in 2nd place, and the car in front of him is in first. Then I see that the car directly behind me is in 4th place.

The question that immediately goes through my mind is: "Wait, so who's in third place?"

It probably wasn't my finest instance of mental clarity.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
It's happened a few times in Contrast for the Playstation 4 with me. I've gotten half-way through the puzzle, annoyed the fuck out of myself, then found out what I had forgottten, figured out it was right in front of my face, then called myself an idiot.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I was playing Don't Starve yesterday. Doing really well. I had got this really nice ecosystem. Pig houses on the edges of spider lairs. Big clusters of berry bushes.

Then I realized I'd completely forgotten about winter. I made it into the third or fourth day of cold.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Every single time in skyrim that I get stuck in a room with a really obvious pullchain or lever that's just hidden by the environment. But I think that's the lighting engine's fault more than mine.

This one joker mission in Arkham City with that river of chemicals. I was seriously stumped, so I looked online. As soon as I had done so, I felt like a complete idiot because I forgot I had FREEZE GRENADES. I felt really stupid.

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
I think the most profound one was when I was playing the Portal 2 multiplayer with a friend. The first level, you have to get a cube from one side of a room to the receptacle on the other side. The room is divided by a wall with a window in it.

It took us waaaaaaay too long to realize we could pass the cube to each other through the window.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
In any shooter when I just completely miss someone with an entire clip when they're within 10 feet of me. I feel like a complete idiot when I pull nonsense like that. It's happening a lot in Battlefield 4 for some reason. Also anytime a puzzle that is relatively simple just gives me a lot of trouble obviously. Really whenever I struggle with a puzzle and then think "Oh yeahhhhhhh, how did I not see that before".

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Discovering the sprint button in Skyrim about 20 hours in really had me facepalming, the amount of time I could have saved had I known that.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
I was playing Don't Starve yesterday. Doing really well. I had got this really nice ecosystem. Pig houses on the edges of spider lairs. Big clusters of berry bushes.

Then I realized I'd completely forgotten about winter. I made it into the third or fourth day of cold.
Well...At least you didn't starve!

For me, I suppose it would be the time it took me to see the benefit of trade routes in Civ 5. Seriously, all the SCIENCE! that I rushed would have come a lot faster if I had a caravan or two shoving production here and there, so I wouldn't keep getting beaten to wonders.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Street Fighter 4

Every goddamn time I do an Ultra on wake-up that blatantly misses. Or indeed any other time and it misses or gets blocked, unfailingly causing me to get stunlocked into a 10+ combo by my opponent.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Every puzzle in every puzzle platformer ever. Mostly in The Uncharted and Sands of Time trilogies though.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Was on my third playthrough of Xcom before I discovered I could rotate the maps with the dpad between actions.

Sep 14, 2009
Racecarlock said:
Every single time in skyrim that I get stuck in a room with a really obvious pullchain or lever that's just hidden by the environment. But I think that's the lighting engine's fault more than mine.
oh fuckin christ, this most definitely, there were so many times where the chain or whatever would just blend right in the environment or not be right next to the door so it'd take me 5 minutes to even find the damn thing.

OT: the amount of times I kept pressing A to get nurse joy to shut up and then would end up talking to her again...

*sigh* so much wasted time.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
scorptatious said:
I like to call it, the DSP effect. :p
Oh, now don't go THAT far... :/

OT: I have an issue with FPS games where most of my deaths are backstepping then getting stuck to the environment, allowing enemy AI to load their rounds in me.
Most recently I was 3 player cooping Borderlands 2. I'd rush in head first, realize my shield is down, I then try to get out of there, eventually end up getting downed, freaking out, my friends are laughing, I then wonder "whats killing me?! I can't avoid... oh..."

I was stuck in a corner.
The environment is always out for me and I never know when.... T_T