Your in-game phobias

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
My arachnophobia translates into games. Good thing I'm not into RPGs where spiders are common enemies.

My fear of squid, not so much (though I hate those Minecraft squid).

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
pale little girls/undressed young women with a not so friendly look on their eyes and supernatural abilities, all meant to kill you painfully
thanks, F.E.A.R, i really enjoyed the ride, though it gave me more than one heart attack ^^

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
...Let's just say my phobia stems from an unnatural sexual lust.
And yes, it is because of videogames.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
What I do have Arachnophobia but I ain't afraid of ingame spiders (thank you uncanny valley). However what I fear in game is the creepy voices like e.g. the Regenerator in Resident Evil 4. It creep me out so much I either turn the volume down or mute it (which make it harder for me when they ambush me).

Varil

May 23, 2011
Silence. Nothing will get me jittery faster than hearing nothing at all, even if I know I'm perfectly safe.

DeManix

Jun 7, 2010
Bears. Specifically bears that jump me from behind, so I have no time to prepare before they rip my head off. Had to deal with it in Red Dead Redemption, now Skyrim. This also applies to the cougars/sabre cats of those games as well.

Xen0n

Sep 21, 2011
Fear of moving platforms, although I bested that fear in Portal. Now I'm afraid of cake instead...

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
None. I feel that playing games allows me to overcome my RL fears, like spiders. What's a dumb little spider going to do to me when I can blow it up with a spell or cut it into tiny little pieces? Fuck that spider, it can't hurt me.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
Glitches. Mostly because I've read/watched too many creepypastas. Every time a game glitches up, it makes me feel like the game's going to eat me or something.

Magnus

Dec 12, 2011
If I see corpses falling in a weird way I feel the need to rearange them, I saw that happen a lot in Crysis where shot enemies would end up lieing on the floor with their legs in the air, happened a few times on Hellgate:London too! And getting spotted by deathclaw's.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
since that one scene of bioshock...
in fps i always have the fear of someone standing right behind me while i'm busy with opening treasures or doing other stuff where i couldn't defend myself instantly

half of the time in amnesia i spend doing 180° turn-arounds

Goldhawk777

Jun 3, 2010
Arachnophobia. It seems as though every game that I play has a giant spider that wants to kill me through it.
Gears of War: Corpser with lotttttsss of legs, and corpser babies in GW3.
Lost Planet: Giant Spider where it regenerates legs.
Skyrim: Bigg spiders.

I think I need to change my game preferences to something that does NOT try and kill you and has more then 2 legs.

Also fighting underwater freaks me.
DMC4 with the murkey water and fish trying to eat you. Ahhhhhh!

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I hate going near or in water in games when I know there is something that can possibly attack and kill me, to the point where I will refuse to play the game for a while if it's necessary to be near water to progress. In games like Skyrim where underwater enemies are scarce I have no problem, but Arkham City with its giant shark? No way man, I don't care if its attacks are just scripted.

Also, I hate chase sequences and time limits. I like to have time to think.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I've been playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. recently, and it's developed in me a great fear of light sources when underground, because you know it's some **** with a gun who's about to shoot you in the face. Seriously, my hatred towards lights in that game is now at a Splinter Cell: Conviction level.

Oh, and also the mutants. They're dicks.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Griphphin said:
Easily getting chased in first-person games, especially by something that spells instant death and cannot be defeated. Now I use it to get immersed because a lot of games have these segments, though few are actually death for you should you take a wrong turn.
I hope you're referring to Condemned 2: Bloodshot's "Run for your life" moment. Epic terror.

Sleipnir

Oct 17, 2009
Some kind of cave dwelling shark boss in a Tomb Raider game gave me the water phobia, I can't deal with it at all... even when I was playing Jaws Unleashed (wherein YOU play the biggest shark out there) I was freaking out like crazy.

It's carried over pretty bad, I went into all out panic at the START of a tomb raider game cause it dumped you in the ocean and I couldn't see anything. I'm paranoid of water in all other games, I can barely function in water on WoW even when you've got everyone's health bar visible within a five mile radius and track beasts on.

I don't fear it in real life, just shadows, that's carried over to games, and it's worst in Skyrim at the minute cause EVERYTHING has a flickering shadow that looks deceptively like someone is stood immediately behind your sneaking ass.