Your Least Satisfying Gaming Victory

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I just finished a campaign in Battle For Westnoth and I was severely disappointed. It lasted three rounds and it just felt too easy after all the hard battles leading up to it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Any emulator old emulator game that I beat through excessive save scumming. Nothing robs you of your feeling of triumph like save scumming.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
My first super mutant behemoth in fallout 3 glitched out on the texture and let me shoot him with an assault rifle until he died.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
So I've been playing Trials Evolution. For those who don't know, it is a game that gets painfully difficult after a while, to the point where you'll ask yourself multiple times why the hell you're even still playing. I finally finished a ten minute long track called "Gigatrack," got myself a tidy gold medal. And I look at my time spent and I just felt... empty. There was no joy, no shame, hardly any emotion at all. I had achieved momentary victory... but at what cost? Hours of my time, my very life's essence, and in the end, it was no victory. I had fought tooth and nail, but there was no satisfaction... only inevitable emptiness.

So, Escapists, what of you? What wins of yours have been short-lived, petty? Mutually assured? Astound us with your tales of unsatisfying, or outright undeserved, gaming victories. The multiplayer games where you steamroll a bunch of newbs and feel that, in the end, no-one won. Those games of Left 4 Dead where the last member of your team crawls over the finish line and stares back at the corpses of their fallen comrades and, instead of elation or joy, just sighs in defeat. Those games of XCOM where... those games of XCOM.

Regale us with your least satisfying gaming victories!
Getting sixteen "perfect" victories in a row in "Super Street Fighter 2" on the Sega Megadrive. No saves, no continues. If you so much as take a single jab's worth of damage or block a special attack, you're done and have to start again. Took me several months using Vega. After finally completing this feat, which had taken SO long and SO much work, I end up wondering what the heck I'd just done with my life.

Purple_Kuja

Oct 2, 2012
Buddha in Fate/Extra. The Lancer 2 bosses ago was so difficult for me that I spent hours on the one fight. The enlightened one was much easier by comparison, plus the plot that happened before and after the fight left a bitter taste in my mouth

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Blunderboy said:
I once made a guy resign fifteen minutes into a game of AOE2.

By building a wall.
I can beat that. I was playing Company of Heroes: Online, 1v1 match. Guy apologizes right at the start for having a crappy connection, and eventually disappears. Normally, when someone drops out of a game, the AI takes over. It didn't. His troops just stood there, doing nothing. If I quit, that would mean I lost the game, and I didn't want that. So I went over with one riflemen squad and basically executed every soldier he had, and blew up every building he had. Man, that was a shitty round...

Glic2003

Dec 24, 2008
I would have to say Duke Nukem Forever. The whole game was just such rubbish I was constantly asking myself, "why am I playing this? Oh well, I'll just see it through to the end." Then I get to the end and the ending is basically nonexistant.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
I just beat Bass GS in Megaman Battle Network 3. When I was a kid, I could never muster the skills to even beat the regular game, and wondered what monstrous entity Bass's final form must have been like. I faced him today, and clobbered him easily. I was sorely disappointed.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
Every enemy in Dark Souls. That game was agonizing to play. The difficulty was fine. The lack of a tutorial was fine. The whole attacking and defending thing was fine. It's just that when you hit an enemy, they seem to say, "oh, I'm dead" and lightly fall over. I have a goddamn claymore you asshole! I'm using a weapon that can cut through seven men with one swing, why the fuck don't you get thrown to the ground in a spray of gore and mangled meat?!

JomBob

Jan 14, 2012
Random game of Heroes of Might and Magic VI. Me versus 1 AI player. I took its lightly defended city and waited. It turned out that it had a huge army I couldn't have taken but for some reason it never tried to attack me.

JustPhil

Dec 7, 2009
Guild Wars 2.

After fighting through Zhaitan's forces, both on land and in air you're treated to a pretty cinematic where the airship gun blasts the tail end off Zhaitan forcing him to land on a nearby tower. After mopping up the remaining forces on deck you then sit on a cannon and keep pressing "2" until he dies and falls into the abyss. The fights leading up to Zhaitan are great but the final encounter is 100% anti-climatic and isn't the slightest bit satisfying.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
JustPhil said:
Guild Wars 2. Zhaitan.
Could not agree more.

Sit there for five minutes taking some very minor damage that heals back up anyways, and you just spray him down with fireworks..

Pretty sure I stopped playing after that fight if that is what I could forward to in other areas of the game.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Well, personally, ME3 for many reasons stated over and over.

When I was young I began playing Majora's Mask, but was not smart enough yet to figure out how to really manage the time mechanics and all that, and I also had a very short attention span, so it sat unbeaten for a good five to seven years until about three years or so ago I found it again and decided I'd finally finish it up. I think maybe that's why it felt sort of cheap. Looking at it now, it's not a bad ending, but at the time that final little screen of the carving on the tree stump made me go, "Wait, that's it?" I think maybe if I played through it now and knocked it out in a few days it wouldn't seem so bad.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
acillies45 said:
Fable 2 Final boss.

He was talking too much and I just shot him once and he was done...anti-climatic if you as me.

Thanks for helping me to remember that incredibly...bland ending

Also the ending to Borderlands. I mean...balls.

Absolute balls.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Blunderboy said:
I once made a guy resign fifteen minutes into a game of AOE2.

By building a wall.
WHAT

Absolutely ANYONE ELSE would think "well, touche!" and get working on the siege weapons.

OT: The final boss in the original Tomb Raider glitched into a wall and died. That was... sad.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Pretty sure a load of LoL games go like this... "It's ok guys, you can do whatever the fuck you want now since we have an Xin on 9/0 at 10 minutes"

I hate Xin Zhao so fucking much. So broken. You could replace Xin with loads of people since 9/0 is going to make anyone ridiculous but Xin is a whore. I would happily ragequit against an Xin if I had to deal with his Easy Mode shenanigans in lane. Even spamming /laugh won't make me feel better. It usually helps when i'm feeling down. Especially if i'm playing someone with a massive obvious laugh (Lux, Lulu) or a trollish laugh (Singed, Rengar, Kha'Zix)

I hope I end up with my Fiora top against him eventually... I want to see who has the best unfair advantage. His armour reduction and knock up combo or my 91 AD at level 1 and Blade Waltz. I wish you could parry CC. Fucking annoying when you parry Garen's autoattack silence and it silences anyway for zero damage.

Oh and it's not really that fun when you're the ridiculously fed guy. Like when I 1v3'd successfully with Diana after getting a few kills bot and one from mid. /yawn we got this.

At least fed carries can be instagibbed, fed bruisers can 1v5.

acillies45

Feb 25, 2009
grey_space said:
acillies45 said:
Fable 2 Final boss.

He was talking too much and I just shot him once and he was done...anti-climatic if you as me.

Thanks for helping me to remember that incredibly...bland ending

Also the ending to Borderlands. I mean...balls.

Absolute balls.
I still preferred Borderlands to Fable 2. Honestly, it was such an epic setup...You've been trapped in his prison, you've suffered his wrath more than once and lived, you've become an incredible hero that could fight a demon from hell if you wanted...and then 2 seconds and it's done.

At least Borderlands had a final boss to be honest haha.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Tayh said:
Recently, the last boss in XCOM: Enemy Uknown
Etheral makes his speech, then takes a plasma sniper shot to the face. Cue ending cutscene.
Definitely this. I spent two weeks slowly milking the game, building up an unstoppable military organization, and in the last battle
I end up killing the boss with collateral damage, via a rocket shot that wasn't even aimed at him.