Your Least Satisfying Gaming Victory

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Blunderboy said:
I once made a guy resign fifteen minutes into a game of AOE2.

By building a wall.
"My God. What is this sorcery?!"

I can't imagine how that wouldn't be satisfying, to thoroughly demoralize someone through clever masonry tactics.

Brad Calkins

May 21, 2011
Everything I accomplished in Fable 3, I was going to say X-blades, but at least that let you actually lose if you sucked.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Front Mission:Evolution

That game needs to be renamed devolution everything about it sucks and end game was so easy for a boss

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
There was a boss late in FF13 which I cant for the life of me recall the name of, kind of mech thing piloted by the head of the military, but once I worked out that after staggering it caused after the stagger for him to counter attack and wipe me (sure i was supposed to level up and heal through it) I just stopped attacking each time he was close to being staggered and waited it out, took forever and was unsatisfying but it got hte job done i guess

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
JEBWrench said:
It would have to be a Magic: the Gathering game. Many moons ago, back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. I was playing in a draft tourney, and in the final round, match tied 1-1, I was about to lose the match (and subsequently the tourney). So I convinced my opponent that I was about to win, and he promptly conceded to save time.
That is absolutely wonderful. I wouldn't feel bad about that at all.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Resident Evil 6:

Playing coop with a buddy and neither of us are really enjoying the game but just want to finish the campaign we started...

At one point there's a helicopter shooting at you from above and I believe our mission was to destroy it in order to move on. We run around like chickens with our heads cut off for about 5 minutes when the game tells us our objective was completed.

Guess the helicopter ran out of gas before it could shoot down two civilians.

Best victory ever???

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
QuadFish said:
Even if it's only a few cut-away shots in the credits of some-post action characters, some kind of epilogue or send off is nice to have.
Did you get the bonus post-credits scene that sets up Deus Ex?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf21Dl1vNvg

AHHH SPOILERS

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Soluncreed said:
JEBWrench said:
It would have to be a Magic: the Gathering game. Many moons ago, back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. I was playing in a draft tourney, and in the final round, match tied 1-1, I was about to lose the match (and subsequently the tourney). So I convinced my opponent that I was about to win, and he promptly conceded to save time.
That is absolutely wonderful. I wouldn't feel bad about that at all.
I didn't say I felt bad about it; it just wasn't very satisfying. But hey, I won, and that's what matters.

babinro said:
Resident Evil 6:

Playing coop with a buddy and neither of us are really enjoying the game but just want to finish the campaign we started...

At one point there's a helicopter shooting at you from above and I believe our mission was to destroy it in order to move on. We run around like chickens with our heads cut off for about 5 minutes when the game tells us our objective was completed.

Guess the helicopter ran out of gas before it could shoot down two civilians.

Best victory ever???
That's... that's just beautiful. Cheers.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
QuadFish said:
Even if it's only a few cut-away shots in the credits of some-post action characters, some kind of epilogue or send off is nice to have.

AHHH SPOILERS
Huh, forgot all about that. Still, it's a nice link to DX but it only really explains what happens to Megan. The rest of it is still just crammed into the monologue.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
QuadFish said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
QuadFish said:

AHHH SPOILERS
Huh, forgot all about that. Still, it's a nice link to DX but it only really explains what happens to Megan. The rest of it is still just crammed into the monologue.
Oh yeah, it's not a suitable epilogue at all, especially after the ending. My point was that it existed at all.

Oh, thanks for linking this all together with your avatar, man.

"UNATCO?"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
Incredibly obvious answer: ME3, pre extended cut. I cured the genophage, united the Quarians and the Geth, beat the Reapers... and all I got was a blue beam of light.
Beat me too it

I dont know what the fuck was going on but it was NOT satisfying....

now going toe to toe with Harbinger "shadow of colussus" style while he tried to talk you down..THAT would have been an ending worthy

*sigh*

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
Napoleon Total War, playing as the french, moving in on Austria. I won the battle, but suffered something like 80% casualties, so I had to fall back to rebuild my army, and give the Austrians ground. That was no true victory there. That was truly bitter.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Blunderboy said:

By building a wall.
WHAT

Absolutely ANYONE ELSE would think "well, touche!" and get working on the siege weapons.

OT: The final boss in the original Tomb Raider glitched into a wall and died. That was... sad.
I know. I was looking forward to another 3 or 4 hour session with the usual group. Luckily I was able to convince him to start again. Where I trounced him with regular units instead of buildings.

JEBWrench said:
Blunderboy said:

By building a wall.
"My God. What is this sorcery?!"

I can't imagine how that wouldn't be satisfying, to thoroughly demoralize someone through clever masonry tactics.
Yeah I guess it was but when you're getting set for a marathon, a sprint is pretty crap.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Bioshock bossfight with Atlas, in the main game I discovered that using fully upgraded chemthrower with electric gel while also having all the possible electric damage enhancing plasmids it was easy as fuck to take down any version of a big daddy so I thought I'll bring the same combo to the final fight and it lasted something like 30 seconds, I was to blame but yeah it took away any chalange and I just stood there feeling empty while the little fucks had their way with the supposed superhuman.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Obviously the pre-EC mass effect 3 ending.
Also the non-special edition (extended) ending of Alan wake was a bit lackluster, confusing, and generally disappointing.
Rage also had a pretty shocking (poor) ending, oh and Two worlds, and FFXIII, don't get me started on the splinter cell conviction co-op ending. I could go on really.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That capture the flag minigame in Assassin's Creed 2 during the carnaval.

You start on top a building, and there's no other way to get to the flag before your adversary without hurling yourself off the roof and losing 80% of your health. The moment the other guy gets the flag you're fucked, because he out runs you no matter how much you try and catch up. And you have to do this three times, the third being an experiment in pure brain-bleeding frustration. This one moment alone almost drags down what was till that point a fantastic game.

And all of this is so you can win a golden mask which you need to enter the area where your next target is. But in the end you get cheated out of it, and you're forced to simply steal the stupid thing when you could've just fucking done that from the start

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Well have to say it is to this day still ME3, and I nailed that in first playthrough without the internet, any walkthroughs or anything, with best possible ending. Pre-extended cut. (Although this gripe still applies post-extended cut).

The choices to this day still feels very unpersonal and not applicable to the universe as much as to general philosophical and ethnical questions.

That and I had a feeling I was playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but without any real context/connection to the ending choices. As these things didn't really take into account Shepard's journey and experiences as much as maybe Jensen's dillemas,

Existence and life are two entirely different concepts to revolve choices about. When you think about it.

However that one was obvious so...

Another one would have to Legacy of Kain: Defiance. This one on the other hand is more of an immersive sense of "least satisfying victory", it ends on a very bittersweet note. So I suppose that is at the opposite end of the spectrum. It barely even felt like a victory, more like a turning point - which in this instance is a good kind of thing.

Although it does have the downside that it never really concluded the series after that cliffhanger. Still, good a series, good games.