Your Least Satisfying Gaming Victory

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
My fourth playthrough of Dragon`s Dogma. I beat the big red and the final boss but it was frustrating.
Don`t get me wrong i still like this game but wanted to be done with it. I didn`t use a second save because there was no way i could mess up this one mission for the golden idol (never happened before) and guess what? I messed it up and i`m still missing the damn hero trophy. Next time i`m going to use a second save for sure.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Sir Boss said:
Napoleon Total War, playing as the french, moving in on Austria. I won the battle, but suffered something like 80% casualties, so I had to fall back to rebuild my army, and give the Austrians ground. That was no true victory there. That was truly bitter.
The very definition of a Pyrrhic Victory.

"Another such victory and I come back to Epirus alone"

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Whenever I had to resort to using the grenade boss glitch in Blaster Master because I didn't want to have to start over from scratch.

King K. Rool in DKC. You just jump on his head when he throws his crown, over and over. Its like fighting a really determined Goomba that doesn't know it could be a Spiny.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Soluncreed said:
JEBWrench said:
It would have to be a Magic: the Gathering game. Many moons ago, back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. I was playing in a draft tourney, and in the final round, match tied 1-1, I was about to lose the match (and subsequently the tourney). So I convinced my opponent that I was about to win, and he promptly conceded to save time.
That is absolutely wonderful. I wouldn't feel bad about that at all.
Man, what an awesome way to win. XD

It'd be a little silly, but I'd leave smiling after winning like that.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
JustPhil said:
Guild Wars 2.

After fighting through Zhaitan's forces, both on land and in air you're treated to a pretty cinematic where the airship gun blasts the tail end off Zhaitan forcing him to land on a nearby tower. After mopping up the remaining forces on deck you then sit on a cannon and keep pressing "2" until he dies and falls into the abyss. The fights leading up to Zhaitan are great but the final encounter is 100% anti-climatic and isn't the slightest bit satisfying.
What I found even more galling was that characters talk about him in the same tone of voice one would use to say "Why, we're having such nice weather today, aren't we?" But hey, the explorable more than makes up for it.

Bhaalspawn said:
The Lich King in World of Warcraft.

Beating him has a "Fuck Yeah" feeling to it, but the ending cutscene strips all that satisfaction away.

It turns out that Arthas was grateful to finally be rid of Ner'Zhul.
Anub'arak HC with 50 tries left was my case. Or rather my raid group's case. The general sentiment was "Can we go back to Ulduar again for the next few weeks instead of farming this place?"

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
I remember, back in those halcyon SNES days, I played Super Mario World like mad, and somehow got to the Special World on my own without a walkthrough. I remember getting to Tubular (which is the most difficult level in the game), and being so angry that I could never complete that I'd often throw my controller on the floor. Fast-forward many years later, and I found that you could use a Blue Yoshi to pass the level. I reloaded the game in a ROM, played through as small Mario with a blue Yoshi, swallowed a Koopa and won on my first try. It probably should have been satisfying, but I felt like a chump.

Also, the final boss battle in the original Deus Ex. The first 98% of the game is some of the best FPS/RPG gaming of all time, but the lackluster way you get the endings aren't up to snuff. I remember turning on the final generator to stop Bob Page, while a melee was going on between a security bot and genetically-engineered creatures behind me, watching Page blow up like a fool, and thinking, "This should be awesome, but it really isn't". Same goes for the final boss in Human Revolution - I still had a plasma rifle with me, and decided to shoot it through the glass at her on a lark. I won the game in twenty seconds.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
I GUESS that one time were I was overleveled IN A RPG in a MAIN STORY BATTLE.

As in, around HALF the time I play any of those GAMMES.

Like, say, SKYRIM. but then again that whole game was a little screwed up with BALANCE. I still loved it, thougt.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Beautiful End said:
AC2. Punch the pope to win. Screw your weapons and everything you've learned.

Meh.
Yeah, you would think that in a game about assassination, there would be a lot more stabbing involved.

For me, it was when I defeated Joker in Arkham Asylum. It felt.... anticlimactic.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Cody Hargreaves said:
Beating Demon's Soul's the last boss was just so easy after the rest of the game was so hard.
This. The final boos being a barely mobile pile of slime was disappointing to say the least.