Your mom is facing your books

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
The "book of faces" lol, that's a funny way of calling it.

Personally, I don't use Facebook anymore because it was sort of boring and pointless for me. It's not like I have very many friends to "keep track of" and I probably wouldn't care if my parents checked. As a matter of fact, I friended my dad when I used to use Facebook.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
I thought this thread would be about my mother possibly reading my books
at which point I'd say, Mom, stop reading Atlas Shrugged!

Who is John Galt?

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
my mom goes on facebook all the time, and i'm friends with her. i don't post anything that she would be disturbed to see (although she complained when i said damn in a status update, but whatever)

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
I'm not a typical internet douchebag, so I'm not afraid of others seeing what I type. If they know me, they know I won't say anything here that I wouldn't say to their face.

And it's not an invasion of privacy. If you want privacy DON'T POST ONLINE! Nothing compels you to put anything on FB.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Even if I had one, I wouldn't really care that much. She already has a look at my twitter every now and then, but mostly just because she finds the stuff I say funny, she doesn't stalk me or anything.

Jun 7, 2010
When i first got facebook i was oblivious to the existence of privacy settings so my mum saw some of my wall posts (including sex in the snow discussions and anal insertion jokes invlolving huge icicles) after she confronted me about it, i changed my privacy settings to "friends only" and i've continued cursing like a motherfuckin' sailor ever since.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
This may mean that she goes on your computer and sees what you're doing.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Not that I would really care.
It's not like I live with them anymore.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
I'm friends with my mom and uncle on Facebook. However, I am 23. My mom has flat-out said that she doesn't really care and won't disapprove of anything weird posted there since I'm an adult.

...I should probably mention that she's also a hippie.

Mr. Bojangles

Nov 13, 2009
I used to be friends with my dad on Facebook, but I unfriended him pretty quickly. He didn't even notive for a few months.

I never accepted my mum.

Apr 29, 2010
Sinclair Solutions said:
I do have my mom as a friend on Facebook. That's why I never use it.

Also: Today's Captcha WTF moment:

Oh, you just divide the horseshoe by the o to the power of 2. Simple.

Ahem, this thread was not what I was expecting. Anyways, I don't have my mom on Facebook. She doesn't have one.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
My Facebook's so innocent that a five-year-old could read it. I don't put anything on the internet that I wouldn't want my likkle nieces to see. I figure that's a good rule of thumb.

However, my mom has said (and I quote) "I'm never adding you on Facebook, even if I wanted to get on there. Parents stalk their kids on Facebook are insane."

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
thiosk said:
A recent survey seems to confirm the worst fears of today's youth: your mom is probably trying to read your facebook. And if she can't figure out how to do it, she probably wishes she could.
I cunningly avoided this by not having a facebook page.

Makes sense, though. Why not keep track of your kids like that?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I just friended my dad on Facebook after talking him into making one. It helps my family organize meetings and such. I already have a bazillion family members on my Facebook anyway. Cousins, aunts, in-laws, etc, the whole shebang.

It's as simple as not posting "Does anyone know how to get rid of the taste of hooker breath?" as a status update. Or even better, don't kiss hookers.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
thiosk said:
A recent survey seems to confirm the worst fears of today's youth: your mom is probably trying to read your facebook. And if she can't figure out how to do it, she probably wishes she could.

Code:
The survey of 2,000 British parents, carried out by OnePoll, found that 55% of respondents use social media to track their kids' online activities, with a further 5% admitting that, if they knew how to do the same thing, they would.
Source: http://techland.time.com/2011/07/18/more-than-50-of-parents-use-facebook-to-spy-on-their-kids/?hpt=hp_t2

I don't use the book of faces myself, but I met one young lady of asian descent that keeps a secret account under a pseudonym specifically to hide her activities from her parents. I thought she was exaggerating.
My question is, would you change your online habits if you knew your parents were watching?
No. I'm 21. My dad is one of my facebook friends. I use it to keep up with his life since moving out, I like to see that he's happy now.
I'm sure he does the same, in fact I know for a fact that my nan keeps tabs on us (in a caring "I like to know what's happening in your life" kind of way) through facebook.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
smearyllama said:
though my mom saw me in a picture with a girl from school while looking at my page while passing by, and said, loudly
"Ooh! Who's that? She's cute!"
And commented on her breasts.
My mom does that, but for different reasons I'm guessing.

OT: My mom's one of my friends, but I'm hardly on often and if I was I wouldn't be stupid enough to post anything that would get me in trouble.