Your mom is facing your books

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Monkfish Acc. said:
My mum added me as a friend on Facebook and tells me off for swearing.
I show her how to use the computer and internet so she can more effectively tell me off for swearing.

Then I post a full status update of nothing but swears.
That she tells me off for.
Sounds like you and your mother have a wonderful relationship! (Not sarcastic.)

Mom and I had a facebook, but neither of us never use it. SHe's the one who forced me to get a facebook in the first place, but eventually, I got so sick of everyone yakking on and on about it that I deleted mine. (Yes, such a thing is possible.)

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Considering I'm 22, it's my parent's own fault if they see something on their they don't like.

Though I tend to keep it civil on their anyways, so there's nothing they WOULDN'T like.

Minjoltr

Aug 6, 2008
Don't know.
I'm the same person online as I am offline only maybe more confident. And occasionally a dude. But there's nothing I'd say on the book of faces which I wouldn't say to people in person. They might not understand if it was some kind of in-joke but I don't have the nefarious online existence my parents think.
That said, it would give my dad another forum to air his disdain and criticism although it may also help him to understand more of what goes on herein and that it's not 100% counter-productive.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Besides, since when were privacy settings hard to use?
Yea, I totally don't get it when people talk about how horrible the privacy settings are. It took me maybe 5 minutes to sort it out so that people that weren't my friends could see only my profile picture and people that I wanted as friends but didn't want seeing that much (ie family and people I have a more professional relationship with) can see my interests as well but not much else.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
What? My parents might be able to look at my Facebook? Oh no!

Oh wait, I don't have one!

Seriously though, is it any surprise that if you put your life up in a public area, random people might take a look at it?

Retal19

Dec 5, 2010
I added my Parents, but they quit after a few months. So, no worries there anymore. Though for a while I was praying that everyone I knew on Facebook wouldn't say anything that would offend them, and I was constantly censoring myself.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Apparently, people from my mom's work check my facebook, because I volunteer there every once in a while. I'll post extra-sexual stuff, just to piss them off.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
My parents are mucho tech sawy. So I couldn't keep them away if I wanted. As for denying their friend request.... nah, I have no worries. If I want to hide something from them, I'll just add them to another group.

Midnight Llamaman

Jul 15, 2011
I wouldn't really care, I'm an adult. Also - if you don't want someone to know something about you/you've done, just don't put it on Facebook. Just a thought!

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
thiosk said:
My question is, would you change your online habits if you knew your parents were watching?
No, my mom gives me crap about things I post occassionally and I tell her it's MY Facebook, if she or anyone else doesn't like it, don't read it.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Actual said:
Any good parent should monitor their child's activities online.

Also, don't assume you're doing anything your parents haven't done worse.
Raise your kid properly IRL and there won't be any monitoring online left to do.

OT: Don't have a bookface, and I don't plan on ever getting one.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Aside from the fact im a adult so I don't really have to care or worry about what my parents think I wouldn'r have to worry eithr way, my mum thinks its a ''waste of time'' and my dad bless him couldn't use a computer if his life depended on it.

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
Lilani said:
I love how people say these sort of things about Facebook--a web site designed for the public viewing and sharing of personal activities and events.
I see facebook as a way to connect to friends, not family. If I need to tell them about anything I'll just walk downstairs and talk to them. I don't have any family on facebook, so that is less likely to happen. I don't care if they look at it, but I don't want them "trying to protect me from the internet" or something all the time when I know far more about what I'm doing than they do.

I hardly post anything on facebook though either. I mostly just use it to chat to people since everyone gave up MSN and whatnot.

Sariteiya

Jun 10, 2011
My mom is on my facebook, and several of my relatives besides. I don't drink, and I'm not a super vulgar person, so I never really worry about what they might see.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
Oh, bugger. Now they know all about my illegal activities! I knew I shouldn't have posted about all those bad and evil things I do on my facebook to brag to all the people I know - who would definitely not tell the police about the atrocities I committed because I thought my mum would never find out. Now my naughty-doing spree is over! I can no longer scheme behind my parent's backs because some of them can or wish they could monitor what I chose to make public on a social network.[/sarcasm]

Oh, in all seriousness; what does it matter? Social networking was essentially invented as a form of legal stalking anyway. If you don't want your parents to find out something, don't be so friggin' dumb that you post it on an official board!

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
My father was on facebook well before me, my mum hates computers, so no problems there... Even if they did go on to check on my "Online Status" or what ever you wish to call it, I never share anything personal, I share more personal stuff on here

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Ha, there is no privacy on the Internet. Thank Samus I was smart enough not to go onto Facebook, MySpace etc.