Your Most Hated Interpretation of A Character you like?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Silvanus said:
EDIT: Oh! I have another nomination. The New-52 interpretation of Amanda Waller. She's not supposed to be another tiny-waist, huge-bust supermodel! She was compelling and strong enough as she was!
THIS so much. American comics have such a problem with diversity in designs, especially for women and this was yet another step backwards brought to you by the DC reboot.

Ishigami said:
Raynor and Kerrigan were no item, they were comrades. But as we all know this is an alien concept since they are man and woman there has to be sexual tension and a relationship? it?s the law!
AAARGHH I hate that so much. I want more deep, platonic friendships and other kinds of non-romantic male/female relationships, seriously.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Silvanus said:
EDIT: Oh! I have another nomination. The New-52 interpretation of Amanda Waller. She's not supposed to be another tiny-waist, huge-bust supermodel! She was compelling and strong enough as she was!
The new Amanda is also horribly incompetent and constantly being undermined. Not to mention how they also turned Starfire into a lobotomized fuckpuppet.

It's like New 52 went out of their way to deliberately discourage women from reading comics.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Sylocat said:
Silvanus said:
The new Amanda is also horribly incompetent and constantly being undermined. It's like New 52 went out of their way to deliberately discourage women from reading comics.

I also hate what New 52 did to Starfire, making her a lobotomized fuckpuppet, literally retarded.
to be far about starfire I heard it was retcon only a few issues later but still wtf dc.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
ASBAR definitely tops it, Batman having an inner monologue where he praises Robin's "fast hands and big mouth"

*shudder*

Accel

Aug 18, 2012
Hmmm... most of mine are already mentioned, so I'll just throw in Andrea in the Walking Dead TV show

In the comics, Andrea is easily one of my favorite characters, just because she's a good blend of competent and badass as the sniper of Rick's group, while still feeling like a very real person.

In the show, most of those traits are thrown out and she spends most of the time being annoying or making dumb decisions. At the same time, though, Carol seems to be getting the reverse treatment, as she wasn't a very strong character in the comics, but is stepping up to fill in comic!Andrea's shoes for the show.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Bitter Hobbit said:
OK a strange one here but I'm gonna go with Constantine from the film Constantine. The reason it's strange is that I hadn't heard of the character until I saw the film which I enjoyed so I looked up the comics and enjoyed what I read.

So yea the film isn't really a good interpretation of the character, but I like the film.
Yeah, that's a pretty common critique of the movie. As a Hellblazer/Constantine movie, it's a terrible presentation of the character. As a random supernatural movie itself, it's pretty good. Though I felt the Papa Midnight in that movie was really damn spot on.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The Jedi in the later EU novels(pretty much everything NJO onward) were the best argument for axing their already tenuous legitimacy in Star Wars canon I can think of. I was a pretty big fan of the series that brought characters like Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade to us, but at some point Jedi fiction jumped up on the superhero scale from street level mystic to upper tier X-Men/Force MacGyver, and they just became boring at that point.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
The Jedi in the later EU novels(pretty much everything NJO onward) were the best argument for axing their already tenuous legitimacy in Star Wars canon I can think of. I was a pretty big fan of the series that brought characters like Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade to us, but at some point Jedi fiction jumped up on the superhero scale from street level mystic to upper tier X-Men/Force MacGyver, and they just became boring at that point.
Oh they're not boring, they're just fucking psychopaths. Look at any time Troy Denning writes Jedi. He literally had Saba Sebatyne murder the Grand Master of the order just because he was trying to mitigate bloodshed. And Saba is supposed to be one of the good guys.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I second Pa Kent in Man of Steel. Supposedly the biggest inspiration for Superman?s heroics, when asked by a young Clark Kent ?What should I do? Just let them die??, the guy says, ?Maybe?. What kind of fucked-up morals is that? And later, he pointlessly
sacrifices himself for some fucking dog, just to stop Clark from revealing his powers, even though no-one else would?ve given a shit because of the FUCK-OFF MASSIVE TORNADO DESTROYING EVERYTHING

And whatever the fuck Deadpool was meant to be in X-Men: Wolverine Origins.

Trinity in the Matrix sequels. She goes from being a badass freedom fighter in her own right to essentially Neo?s damsel-in-distress who I was actually glad to see
die in the third film
?cos she just kept pissing me off so much with her fawning over Neo and their forced, devoid-of-any-chemistry love scenes.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
I could be mistaken about this, but isn't Darwin (from the X-Men) essentially God-Tier when it comes to his mutant abilities? I haven't read the comics but a review of First Class mentions how he can literally adapt to survive in any situation and ended up traveling through Space...I think...again, I could be wrong. The point though is that he was severely de-powered in the movie for the sole-purpose of his character being the sacrificial lamb that teaches the rest of the team to work together and also hate the main bad guy enough to team up against him.

"Adapt to this"
*explodie-ball down throat...Darwin adapts*
"That all you got?"
*punch*
To be fair, I think roughly the same thing happens to him in the comics and he turns into some kind of cosmic energy to adapt. He didn't have a physical body anymore and I think it took him a while to adjust to that before he was semi-brought back.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
chocolate pickles said:
On topic: The dreadful watchmen prequels ruined Rorschach in more ways than i can count: Went from having a strange kind of sophistication to just sounding like a street punk (complete with odd swear attempts), was way too emotional, and got his ass handed to him by a single guy who seemed to know some kung fu (now granted, he's wasn't a powerhouse in watchmen, but he was supposed to have some fighting skills.)
IMO, Rorschach being beaten isn't that out of character. Sure, Rorschach is great at fighting, but he's not the only person in the world who is.

Yeah, the swearing was out of character, I'll give you that.

Now, the emotionality... I never saw Rorschach as an unemotional guy, just a differently emotional guy.

(I'm assuming the series you're criticizing is the Rorschach one.)

mojopin87

Jun 5, 2009
Have to second Kerrigan in SC2 since it almost directly contradicts the character development she underwent in BW. SC2 in general has terrible writing and characterization compared to SC and BW.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
tf2godz said:
Zen Bard said:
Varanfan9 said:
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. Betrayed literally everything the character stood for.
/thread
You know I would have posted that but I literally went out of my way to forget it EVER existed! God, that was horrible!

On topic, Galactus:

versus "Ultimate Galactus":

Let's take what is essentially an alien god in the Marvel Universe and turn him into the sentinels from The Matrix but with the Borg hive mind.
What about the movie Galactus or as I like to call him "The Killer Cloud".

According to the producers, Classic Galactus was supposed to be at the heart of The Killer Cloud from Outer Space. But they wanted to save the big reveal for the next movie...which thankfully, didn't happen.

But yeah...the Killer Cloud sucked.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
The Andrew Garfield Spider-Man. Even more than the Superior Spider-Man, I hated this interpretation. He's just lacking the spirit of Spider-Man, he has no depth, he clearly isn't full of self-doubt or self-loathing, and he I just hate his face. I do. I really enjoy watching characters hit him.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
I personally usually like watching Dracula films, even those old cheesy black and white ones.
Out of all them up to this point I must say Alucard from Hellsing is my favorite interpretation of him out of all the ones I loathe...

That new Dracula Untold movie is just... Im speechless, they butchered him, atleast in my eyes haha. I watched it to keep by my thing of watching all the films etc and atleast giving it a shot but..dear lord.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Shoggoth2588 said:
I could be mistaken about this, but isn't Darwin (from the X-Men) essentially God-Tier when it comes to his mutant abilities? I haven't read the comics but a review of First Class mentions how he can literally adapt to survive in any situation and ended up traveling through Space...I think...again, I could be wrong. The point though is that he was severely de-powered in the movie for the sole-purpose of his character being the sacrificial lamb that teaches the rest of the team to work together and also hate the main bad guy enough to team up against him.

"Adapt to this"
"That all you got?"
*punch*
Yeah I read that at one point the Hulk was facing him down. His powers promptly went "NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!" and teleported him to a different planet to keep him safe.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Redryhno said:
Shoggoth2588 said:

"Adapt to this"
"That all you got?"
*punch*
To be fair, I think roughly the same thing happens to him in the comics and he turns into some kind of cosmic energy to adapt. He didn't have a physical body anymore and I think it took him a while to adjust to that before he was semi-brought back.
Well...that would be a neat way to bring him back in a future X-Men movie. I really didn't know about that...there are so many X-Men comics, so many variations, so many offshoots that it's just kind of intimidating to even try getting into them.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
If sequels qualify, especially ones handled by different companies, then Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Yes, I'm talking about the family-friendly stealth game with anthropomorphic critters.

Penelope from Sly 3. Discounting her horrible design change, I'll go into her place in the story. She somehow went from a light-hearted geek to a sadistic, manipulative, uncaring Bond villain; a Doctor M 2.0, basically. In this case, it isn't the betrayal that disgruntled me, it was its execution. Her reasons for being a traitor don't even make sense. Money? She has it. Plenty of it from the Cooper vault. To change the world? Um, she had made a friggin' time machine and she was concerned of the gang "holding her down"? Seriously?

I especially dislike how the story treats her like she's just Bentley's girlfriend and not as a former member of the team. She was friends with the other characters too, not just "Our buddy's *****". They showed a strong degree of care for her when she got kidnapped in the third game. There was a healthy degree of platonic friendship and respect yet her relationship with Bentley was the only thing that carried over to the sequel. She got turned into an accessory for Bentley's character "development" all for the sake of a crappy plot twist.

Ishigami said:
Blaming Kerrigans heinous acts on the Zerg Infestation just destroys her legacy as a villain. Of course they had to do that because they fucking suck at writing.
They needed to ally all races for the imminent return/attack of the Xel?Naga/Hybrids. They couldn?t come up with a reason for the original Queen of Blades to join forces with Terrans and Protoss nor either of them to trust her so they pussified her and the Zerg alike by turning them into lapdogs.
Yea? fuck of Blizzard.
Blizzard seems to have a running trend with turning villains into misunderstood lapdogs for the sake of a "Battle of the Five Armies" type of conclusion. They did it with the Orcs in Warcraft 3 (it was the demons' fault!), though at least there was a bit of effort put in it. I can't wait for when the Burning Legion allies with the "good guys" to fight off the Old Gods or something.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
TheMigrantSoldier said:
If sequels qualify, especially ones handled by different companies, then Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Yes, I'm talking about the family-friendly stealth game with anthropomorphic critters.

Penelope from Sly 3. Discounting her horrible design change, I'll go into her place in the story. She somehow went from a light-hearted geek to a sadistic, manipulative, uncaring Bond villain; a Doctor M 2.0, basically. In this case, it isn't the betrayal that disgruntled me, it was its execution. Her reasons for being a traitor don't even make sense. Money? She has it. Plenty of it from the Cooper vault. To change the world? Um, she had made a friggin' time machine. Seriously?

I especially dislike how the story treats her like she's just Bentley's girlfriend and not as a former member of the team. Um, She was friends with the other characters two, not just "Our buddy's *****". They showed a strong degree of care for her when she got kidnapped in the third game. There was a healthy degree of platonic friendship and respect yet her relationship with Bentley was the only thing that carried over to the sequel. She got turned into an accessory for Bentley's character "development" all for the sake of a crappy plot twist.
That was the first time I ever turned off a game out of sheer anger. I was getting bored of it before that point with it crappy main villain and to it meh gameplay compered to the first 3 but then it had the balls to pull that shit. FUCK THAT GAME.