Your most hated RPG status effect

Sep 14, 2009
CrazyBlaze said:
gmaverick019 said:
Don't remember it exactly, but in FF12, if i remember right, this one stupid boss would lay down most effects onto your party at the same time, quite easily the most annoying thing ever (had to grind for roughly 10-15 levels just for that one boss in that one area that i had to go through. think it was like galmore jungle or such?)

bah, fuck that.

also death effects as people have stated, they never work on the opponent but seem to magnetize to your whole party with the biggest troll face.

IIRC that describes at least five bosses in that game, not counting marks and secret bosses.

OT: For me it has to be anything that screws with me hitting my enemies. I usuualy like to play as a shield and sword warrior who can rip through enemies so when I get hit with something like Blind or anything similar to it I can't stand it. High level pokemon? It uses five sand attacks in a row. Enter rage mode. hit with blind in FFXII, don't have spells to clear it up or no golden handkerchiefs left? enter me getting pissed.

Confusion is a close second though.

7?...7 what, exactly? just don't know specifically what your talking about.. -_-

but yeah, i'm sure there are at least 5 bosses that are described by that, I just remember that was the first one I ran into and was heavily annoyed, so after I beat him I went and did that gambit glitch thing and let all my guys get to lvl 90 overnight, so I could steamplow everything regardless of those annoying status effects.

I will say blind/accuracy decreases are definitely gear grinding worthy though, thankfully I've never ran out of meds or magic spells to help it though, otherwise i'd be bloody pissed off i'm sure.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
CrazyBlaze said:
gmaverick019 said:
Don't remember it exactly, but in FF12, if i remember right, this one stupid boss would lay down most effects onto your party at the same time, quite easily the most annoying thing ever (had to grind for roughly 10-15 levels just for that one boss in that one area that i had to go through. think it was like galmore jungle or such?)

bah, fuck that.

also death effects as people have stated, they never work on the opponent but seem to magnetize to your whole party with the biggest troll face.

IIRC that describes at least five bosses in that game, not counting marks and secret bosses.

OT: For me it has to be anything that screws with me hitting my enemies. I usuualy like to play as a shield and sword warrior who can rip through enemies so when I get hit with something like Blind or anything similar to it I can't stand it. High level pokemon? It uses five sand attacks in a row. Enter rage mode. hit with blind in FFXII, don't have spells to clear it up or no golden handkerchiefs left? enter me getting pissed.

Confusion is a close second though.

7?...7 what, exactly? just don't know specifically what your talking about.. -_-

but yeah, i'm sure there are at least 5 bosses that are described by that, I just remember that was the first one I ran into and was heavily annoyed, so after I beat him I went and did that gambit glitch thing and let all my guys get to lvl 90 overnight, so I could steamplow everything regardless of those annoying status effects.

I will say blind/accuracy decreases are definitely gear grinding worthy though, thankfully I've never ran out of meds or magic spells to help it though, otherwise i'd be bloody pissed off i'm sure.

SEVEN MINUTES TO WIN IT! No its a typo. Damn typos. DAMN YOU TYPO OVERLORDS! ONE DAY YOU SHALL FALL!!!!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Charm.
Charm can turn your greatest power into your greatest weakness and undo you in an instant.

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
Curse in Dark souls deserves a mention. Damn doom frogs in the sewers. I have a strong dislike for disarm effects too, as I usually play melee oriented characters. Constant flinching in pokemon has always been annoying. Luckily that doesn't happen that often but when it does...damn.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Amongst all RPGS, the most annoying of all has to be Pokemon's Confusion status effect....

Imagine reaching a cave for the first time, all fine and dandy until you encounter Zubat every few steps, it'll always have a compulsion to use Supersonic and a bunch of Leech Life attacks, eventually later in the game, it gains access to Confuse Ray which has higher accuracy, screw that, it ALWAYS hits!

Solution could be simply having a Pikachu or whatever, but by the time you beaten Brock, chances are that your starter is simply over leveled purely because their moves tends to be convenient. D:

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Yeah, it depends on the game. but off the top of my head:

-Dragon Age: Stunt (By Rogues). My character becomes a sitting duck, just taking hits and amazingly not snapping out of it despite the butt kicking he's getting. Also, sleep or stop. Basically the same deal.

-FF games: Poison, zombie and sleep. None of those stats ever work on the enemy but they ALWAYS work on you. God knows why. But above all, I hate those random, not well known stats like Toad. Really? I'm a toad?! Or Tiny! What is this? Mario bros?

-Pokemon: Stunt, freeze and poison. Same as above.

But I guess the one status I hate the most is Confuse. Again, it always works on your characters and it's quite common for someone to use them. It's a cheap shot because the enemy can't clearly defeat you so they brainwash your allies. And in order to heal your ally, you either gotta hit them or lose a turn and use an item. Fucking hate that.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Confusion. Fuck you confusion. Specially in Pokemon where it's rigged to hurt you more than the enemies.

Dark Aurora said:
Is there some new rule that everyones first post must be a necro?

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Stun or root. Just sitting there helpless as an enemy starts tearing my character down pisses me off.

Still, its fun to do it to others so eh...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Valanthe said:
A lot of it depends on -which- RPG we're talking about, but in general, Paralyze effects, as I mostly play Rogues, Thieves, Bards, and other classes who rely on their speed and agility to surive, paralisis murders me.
Yes. Paralysis or crippling effect. It sucks.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
The most powerful one of course. I hate it when poison does more damage than being attacked and still exists after a battle. Oh and all the bosses are immune or it has a hit rate of 2% for you and 90% for the enemies.

Though charm has made me rage quit before. I was playing Persona 3 got to the final boss and almost killed him when he charmed a teammate. I could survive her attacking me but no, she heals completely heals the boss. The moment she cast that spell I just hit the powerbutton.