Your most-improved sequels

xxmyhero64xx

May 25, 2011
I'm surprised I haven't seen this yet. Fable 2. Honestly the combat was MUCH more refined and when you got powerful enough it was as though you were playing a demigod. The story was a bit meh but apparently that's par for the course in Fable.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Raggedstar said:
Ratchet and Clank 2 set the standard for the rest of the franchise, and maaaan did it up the ante. More focus on gunplay and polishing it up went farther than you would think.
I agree and this point and would go on to say that the "big three" platformers of the Ps2 (ratchet, sly, and jak) had three of the best second-installment games of all time, as far as improvements go.

Going Commando introduced the weapon upgrades, a huge-ass arsenal, arena combat, and a new game plus that didn't eat all of your weapons.

Sly 2 provided 2 new playable characters, many new memorable villains, new platform and combat mechanics, purchasable tools/abilities, and toonami tie-in(teehee. peanuts.)

Jak 2 nearly took a 360 with the generic fantasy setting with hovercraft, ratchet-style guns, an expansive detailed metropolis, a more unique and thought out story, more objective-oriented mission structure, and the metalheads. The goddamn metalheads.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hyperdimension Neptunia.

The first one was my Worst Game award last year, the sequel is way better.

Plus, how can you deny a game where game piracy is the final boss?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Pokemon Gold/ Silver.
While the other future series now make use of the night and day time, why is it only the Gold/ Silver (and Heartgodl and SoulSilver) game that once you beaten the Elite 4 you get to revisit Kanto (the first game)?
Ok sure the other series added a few islands (FireRed and LEaftGreen) or new explore areas within the region (Black and white) after beaten the Elite 4 but I want a revisit an old region dammit and without it being dumb down!!
Do they do handheld DLC yet? I've never owned a handheld outside Nintendo, and you know they are about the DLC, so I've no idea.

Previous region DLC would be a fucking gold mine for them. That, along with the lack of DLC in smash bros. brawl... such missed opportunities. It's almost as if Nintendo hates money. (I jest, of course...)

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Tenno said:
dragon age 2, 1 was awful from the ground up, the whole game was shoddy, but 2 was brilliant not a single issue
While I may not agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I'm not on the "Dragon Age 2 sucks" bandwagon, but IMO the first game was superior in nearly everyway!

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
Why the f*** are people saying witcher 2?Second game is kind of better although I liked the first one a bit better because it was longer and had more story

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Another vote for Witcher 2. I do think TW1 is great, but someone hating the game due to clunky combat doesn't surprise me one bit.

Bugerion said:
Why the f*** are people saying witcher 2?Second game is kind of better although I liked the first one a bit better because it was longer and had more story
Yet Witcher 2 pretty much requires you to play it twice to understand the plot, because there's so much content you'll miss on first playthrough

God of War 2 (mostly incredibly tight balance compared to the first game)

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Assassin's Creed 2. It went from being a tedious grindfest to a real fun game, it got improved in nearly every single way.

Saints Row 2. The first one was a fun sand box game, but it was still more or less a GTA clone, in SR2 it really got its own identity, you had A LOT of customization options, hilarious cutscenes/dialogue etc. It had the right balance between funny and serious. Sadly in SR3 they messed it up. Here's hoping the 4th will make things better.

The Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall/III Morrowind. As someone who played the original, let me tell you. It sucks. I never really got into Daggerfall, nor did I have the time, but I do know that in Daggerfall the lore of TES really started, More stuff to do, for example you actually had factions, and many side quests, Arena had very, very basic side quests, and they were all boring. I did play Morrowind and that one was amazing of course, a lot of TES fans will still tell you to this day that Morrowind is the best game in the series. And I can't blame them.

Lots of people mention the Witcher 2, but I won't include it on my list.
I absolutely loved the first one, yes that includes the combat, they were simply very different games. Thus I don't necessarily think it was a big "improvement" over the Witcher.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Assasins creed 2 improved on EVERYTHING from the first game. I despised the first game, still do!, and then AC2 came out and its one of my favorite game series of all time

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Pandabearparade said:
It's his opinion.
Or, more likely, trolling.

Dragon Age 2 has a dedicated 'hater base', and had some pretty obvious flaws even if you think the game is great. Clearly flamebait.
Now that I think of it, you don't come across so often gamers that prefer DA 2 over DAO. That's a little rare indeed. But still you can't exclude that possibility.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Mass Effect 3 was better than mass effect 2. Even with the bullshit ending.

For 99 percent of the game, it was a fun, interesting, awesome, and super personal experience which was exactly what pulled me into the series in the first place.

Combat was way more fun too.

Assassin's Creed 2 was better than the first one too. More interesting and much less monotony.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
realist1990 said:
No one mentioned MGS3 because MGS4 was such a let down afterwards
I totally agree with you on both parts... For me MGS 3 was the pinnacle of the series and the peak of Kojima's work. You can't easily find a game so balanced between its game-play and narative parts, with excellent graphics, music and intelligent and addictive game-play mechanics.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Persona 4, I can barely play Persona 3 after playing it.
Mortal Kombat 9, Basically all the best aspects of previous Mortal Kombat games and a surprisingly great story-mode and variety of things to do.

ToffeeMC

Nov 12, 2011
Assassin's creed two: It had more to do than just "Do this 9 times. Kill boss after plot twist. Game complete".
Terminator 2: This is my all-time favorite movie, without a doubt.
Halo Reach: Though technically a prequel, I'm still going to include it here. I never got the "fortune" to play the first two's multiplayer before halo 3. *equips flame suit* I hated Halo 3. The campaign wasn't brilliant to be honest, and the multiplayer just failed to keep me playing if it wasn't a custom game or team SWAT.