Your most-improved sequels

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Thief 2: The Metal Age

It did exactly what every sequel should, it took feedback from the original game and used it to improve the sequel without changing the fundamental gameplay or the experience which made the original unique.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Stars Wars Battlefront2: Space combat and Yoda as a PC

/thread
Indeed. I loved SW Battlefront. Then, when 2 came out, I was like this

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Silent Hill 2. The first was... okay, and all of a sudden, number 2 comes out, the best game ever made.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Zone of Enders 2 was a big step up from the first.

Better combat controls, more variety in weapons and missions, and the protagonist wasn't a whiny little brat.

Master-Jedi

Mar 9, 2010
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Its not a sequel to Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time in a plot sense, but in a gameplay and visual sense its way better. The cell shaded graphics mean TWW looks good today, compared to OoT's early 3D graphics that look horrible. The sword combat has counters you can preform, and the Items are more varied. The sailing in the game lets you explore a world that is more populated and bigger than the ones in OoT and MM (There is a teleport move for the people that don't care for the sailing).

I have to say though, on the topic of ME2, I think it dropped the ball pretty hard. Yeah, the combat in ME1 needed to be improved. A lot of stuff in ME1 needed improvement. but ME2 didn't improve on the combat or the vehicle sections of ME1, it replaced and removed anything that people didn't like. The combat system was changed to a Halo/Gears of War style instead of fixing the more RPG style system. The Vehicle system was just removed, replaced by a resource scanning mini-game(Yeah, that was a good trade). So I would say that ME2 was a horrible sequel to ME1, in the sense that it didn't improve on the mechanics of the first game at all. ME2 was a vary different game in the sense of the mechanics, and I think that was a bad thing.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Winthrop said:
Are we only counting games? Best sequel in general for me was Terminator 2. It just didn't fall into the usual traps sequels fall into at all. Making the T-1000 the protagonist added an incredible amount of depth and comedy in my eyes.
The T-1000 is the antagonist in that film friend. You're thinking of the T-800.

On to the topic at hand. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. This game blows the first out of the water. Everything is improved. The mechanics, the characters, the graphics, the set pieces, the scale...it's an amazing leap forward. It's not only one of the ebst video game sequels ever made, it's one of the best games ever made period.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Just Cause 2. The fact that almost no one knew the first existed until the second one came out says it all.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Witcher 2.

My god, it was one of the biggest improvements on one of the most over-rated RPGs of the past decade. The first Witcher was poorly-presented, horrible voice-acting, and atrocious gameplay that was somewhat uplifted by excellent writing and deep C&C.

In the Witcher 2, everything was perfected, paving the way for CDPR to become of the top dogs of the RPG developers.

Seriously was shocked just how big of an improvement the second game was in comparison to the first.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2, Fallout: New Vegas, TES V: Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, and Mount and Blade: Warband in my opinion are all improved sequels.

I think The Witcher 2, New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, and Arkham City are the best sequels on that list.

Reiterpallasch

Sep 27, 2010
Tenno said:
dragon age 2, 1 was awful from the ground up, the whole game was shoddy, but 2 was brilliant not a single issue
Oh boy, you better put up your flame shield before it's too late for you.

[http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/91829-shitstorm]

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Savber said:
Witcher 2.

My god, it was one of the biggest improvements on one of the most over-rated RPGs of the past decade. The first Witcher was poorly-presented, horrible voice-acting, and atrocious gameplay that was somewhat uplifted by excellent writing and deep C&C.

In the Witcher 2, everything was perfected, paving the way for CDPR to become of the top dogs of the RPG developers.

Seriously was shocked just how big of an improvement the second game was in comparison to the first.
I was surprised to learn that the actor that played Geralt in The withcer 1 was the same actor that played Geralt in The Witcher 2. The guy really improved his acting for The Witcher 2. Having a good voice director pry helped out a lot as well.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
System Shock 2, it had a better story sure, and more terrifying enemies yes, but what set it apart from the first one was YOU CAN LOOK AROUND WITH YOUR MOUSE!

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I'm actually having a really hard time answering this. I'm going to have to look through what I played recently.

majora13 said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Mass Effect 2, the combat felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much better. Seriously combat in ME1 felt like a disabled man trying to open a cupboard while climbing an escelator.
Huh... I felt completely opposite this. ME2 was smoother, I guess, but it just seemed like they realized that ME1 was too ambitious and nerfed the whole thing. Let's see... No grenades, only one cooldown timer, no advanced equiping (armour, weapon mods, etc...), no weapon stats, recharging health, totally cover-based, no long range combat, no vehicle combat, really no variety in combat at all, and it was super easy. ME1 was awkward as fuck, but at least once you actually got into to it it was tactical and challenging. ME2 was just: 1) hit cover 2) spam singularity 3) move to next waist-high wall. Once you have one power leveled up the single-cooldown-timer basically makes all the other abilities useless. Just take one squad member with biotics and one with tech so you can handle the different types of shields and you're good to go. Really boring shooter, imho. It didn't help that BioWare decided they didn't need loot - that totally unincentivized exploration and made the linear level design all the more apparent.
You forgot about the horrible continuity breaks starting to leak in, and paragon being just as dickish as renegade a lot of time, just passive-aggressive instead of cartoonish

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
Well, let's see...

Mass Effect 2 - Gunplay is definitely better than the first game. Power revamp made it possible to use powers heavily without needing high-level gear and lots of talent points to reduce cooldowns to a spammable level. Classes are more well defined, with greater distinctions between related classes.

Street Fighter 2 - The first game is a forgettable non-entity. SF2 is the most significant and influential fighting game of all time.

Super Metroid - Greatly expanded moveset allowing for greater combat flexibility and new opportunities for sequence breaking. Larger, more immersive game world.

Super Mario Bros 3 - More varied and interesting power-ups. Larger moveset. Larger game world with more branching paths and more interesting levels.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Infamous 2.

Zeke became a character you want to accept, not fry till his muscles pop. The storyline was well-done and it ended so well... Good Side anyway did

MuttyGrims1321

Jun 20, 2011
Pokemon Gold/Silver were way better then Red/Blue. Better story, better graphics, more gyms, and more Pokemon. It was just awesome and great sequels.