Your most unlucky purchase

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
This happened at the end of the Russefeiring [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russefeiring].
I had just finished a period of a week or so of nearly constant partying/hanging out with friends 'till late at night.
I was walking home from a friend early in the morning, knowing that the russefeiring was now over. I was tired as shit, and hadn't eaten any proper food in a day or so. So I decided that popping by 7/11, buying a calzone and a cup of coffee, and walking down to the docks to watch the water and relax for a bit would be a good idea.
Understand that this was the first cup of coffee I'd gotten my hands on since the russefeiring started. It cost me $5 and there've been few things in my life I've looked forward to as much as this cup of coffee.
I managed to get 50 meters from the shop before a pidgeon shat in my cup.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I bought Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire new, in Australia, for about $90+ after playing the first level (Battle of Hoth) and thinking the whole game was like that.

Boy was I wrong...

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
I bought the Futurama season 1 box, then found out two days later that Amazon had the 4 seasons box at something like 1,5 times the price I paid. No harm done though, I got meself the full series and gave the first one to a friend.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Just the other day I picked up Lego Batman 2 on launch day (I'd had it pre-ordered). A few hours after I'd gotten home, I received an email from the store I'd just bought the game from: "Pre-order Lego Lord of the Rings when you purchase Lego Batman 2 to get $10 off LotR and a free poster". Thanks guys, would have been nice to know before I'd picked it up. Then the next day they dropped the price of Batman from $78 to $47.

I'm not sure if it's my unluckiest purchase ever, but it's the most recent one.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
bought COD Black Ops on releases since I assumed that it would stay 70 euro,s for a long while(like COD MW2 did). Sadly it got down prized after a few weeks
captcha: fezes are cool
I couldn't agree more

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
The Anime Legends editions of DVDs keep making me look stupid.

"Hey bro, you spent £180 to own both seasons of Gundam 00? Well now you can buy each one for £20!"

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Every soda I've ever bought, and will buy. You do not want to know how kidney stones feel. And if you do happen to know how it feels, I'd advise you to stop drinking the stuff ASAP. I'm phasing it out of my daily diet and now I have them about 4 or 5 times a week. Much better than 4 or 5 a day.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
pontius298 said:
For me maybe not most unlucky but rather shittiest purchase, didn't like the game because I didn't understand it
Hey, welcome to the forums! I'm touched that you have your very first post in my thread :D

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
I bought a brand new car for about $40,000, picked it up after work at about 5pm and went to my Dad's place to show him. When I was inside having dinner a junkie used a crowbar and broke into my 3hr old car, scratched the door, smashed a window, climbed on the leather upholstery on top of the broken glass and cut up the seats, bled on the seats, reached into the centre console and stole my 5 year old pair of shitty old sunglasses worth maybe $20 dollars.
It's the only new car i've ever bought, and you know that nice smell of a new car? the joyous feeling of a brand new automobile? well that got covered in junkie blood and then police fingerprint dust (which is extraordinarily fine dust and ruins cars too).
I mean the purchase itself wasn't unlucky but having such a big purchase ruined after only a few hours was shithouse

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i bought several games of steam that didn't work and later got working copies of gog. i gifted my friend with tf2 a week before it became f2p(he still insists it's the best present i ever got him).

however the worst case is not something that happened to me but a friend of mine got himself a demo version of ghost recon future soldier to check if it runs on his hardware. if worked fine but after he bought the game it kept crashing on him so often it was rendered unplayable.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Age of Pirates 2. A shit game for twats.

Should've known there was something wrong with the box the game came in, since it didn't show any pictures of the game itself...

EDIT: Oh and it also cost 59 euros. Would've rather burnt the money I used to buy that one. At least watching them burn would've been entertaining.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Shanicus said:
saintdane05 said:
I once purchased a copy of Pokemon Quartz. If there any Pokemon fans, you should recongnize something wrong with that.

I'm sorry, but that was my reaction after reading that. That's just... damn. I honestly didn't think they sold physical copies for the knock-offs - guess I was wrong. Hopefully you weren't too out of pocket for your mistake though.
Ten bucks for a rom hack. A pretty poor one to.

The box on the table looked to be convincing to my five year old self.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
BringBackBuck said:
I bought a brand new car for about $40,000, picked it up after work at about 5pm and went to my Dad's place to show him. When I was inside having dinner a junkie used a crowbar and broke into my 3hr old car, scratched the door, smashed a window, climbed on the leather upholstery on top of the broken glass and cut up the seats, bled on the seats, reached into the centre console and stole my 5 year old pair of shitty old sunglasses worth maybe $20 dollars.
It's the only new car i've ever bought, and you know that nice smell of a new car? the joyous feeling of a brand new automobile? well that got covered in junkie blood and then police fingerprint dust (which is extraordinarily fine dust and ruins cars too).
I mean the purchase itself wasn't unlucky but having such a big purchase ruined after only a few hours was shithouse
I had something similar to that happen to me a couple years ago. I'd inherited my grandma's car, and while it wasn't the best car it was still free. Not long after, it was totaled when I going to drug testing for my (then) new job. I'd had the car for 3 months, and It was totaled and replaced by a much older, much more shitty vehicle that is quite literally falling apart at the seams. I spent my first few checks paying that off.

Speaking of which, my next on my list of extremely unlucky purchases is my current car. It's almost killed me on several occasions and it seems that every month it has a new problem. My friends and I call it "The Trollmobile" for that very reason. I think it wants me to die, and it's been doing a "crying wolf" type deal to get me all jaded towards my own mortality before it offs me. That's why my next bigh thing on my list of purchases is a new vehicle, preferably a '95 Blazer. Great balance of traits.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
It was a lovely day after Christmas and there I was bright eyed and bushy tailed(or something like that), with my wallet full of Christmas money ready to be spent like an idiot. I walk into the F.Y.E and see the Box-set for welcome to the N.H.K. I had started watching the series and really liked it. I pick it up for about $20, it's missing volume 6 but I figure I'll just get it up of the internet like I've done with a few other series. Well I get home and my jaw drops as I manage to find one copy of it for $500.So now that box set sits in my collection as a reminder to always do your research.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
I bought a Samsung Nexus, took it home and over the next few days found out that it randomly wouldn't charge when plugged in.
I tried the cable in different outlets, in different computers, nothing consistently worked.

I took it back to the store I had bought it from within the 14 day replacement-for-any-problem period, and they tested it. They tried it on 5 different outlets and came back saying 'yeah, it's fucked'.
Then 'we'd offer to replace it for you, but we don't have any in stock'.
They check their computer, to see if there are any locations that have it in stock. The closest is downtown, about an hour drive away.
I go there, they test it too, come to the conclusion it's completely broken as well. But surprise surprise, they had sold out >.>
They tell me to go to another one that's about 45 minutes walking distance (this was also downtown, driving there and findig parking would have taken longer).
I go there, they have three in stock!
But they also demand to test it as well.
The fucking thing would not stop working *angry face*. Normally it would stop registering being plugged in several times per minute, but I was there for 45 minutes and it just kept right on working.
I told them to call the other places, talk to the people who tested it and found that it was broken. I gave their names.
He responds 'I'm sorry, but I need to see the failure myself before I can give you a new phone.'
And then the thing that blew me up 'it's physically impossible for hardware to fail randomly, it's either perfect or it doesn't work, there's no such thing as hardware only working some of the time'.
Oh My God the anger I felt towards that guy.
I knew if I stayed I'd be facing an assault charge.
I went back to the place I bought the phone from. They tested it again, and it stopped working for them too.
I told them keep the phone and order me a new one. I'll be back when it arrives.

3 days later I got my new phone.

So much anger.

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
A few years ago at around christmas I went to about 6 different shops looking for one that would sell me a copy of God of War because I was under the age limit. Anyway I eventually found one and brought it home only to find that my PS2 was bolloxed and couldn't read the disc. Whatever right? It was early in the day and I had time to bring it back to the shop to get my money back. I got to the shop and realised I didn't have my receipt on me but the guy who had sold it to me was still there so I went up to him. He made some comment to me about the game, I don't remember what it was exactly, and then I explained the situation to him and he said he couldn't give me my money back but he could buy it back. I thought I could at least get about ?10 back so I said okay (the game cost ?30 to begin with) Do you know how much he gave me? 65 cents. Sixty fucking five cents.
And that was the day I learned about the importance of receipts.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Lord of the Rings:The Third Age - Picked up a new copy on Xbox.Got home and the wrong game was in the box.Returned it but they couldn't find the right game so I got a refund.A couple of days later I picked up a second hand copy for PS2.Got home and the damn game wouldn't work.Returned it and got a replacement copy and guess what..the exact same thing happened.Returned the replacement copy for another replacement copy and thankfully it worked the third time