Your most Unpopular Media Opinion

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Star Wars movies. All of them. I don?t hate them as my feelings aren?t that strong against them, but I REALLY don?t like them. Light sabers are a cool concept and Darth Vader is a badass, but other than those two redeeming qualities, I find pretty much everything about the Star Wars films utterly fucking silly. I have no idea how they has such a strong following, especially amongst adults. That being said, I DO like The Force Unleashed video games.

And Popular music. I?m not saying that as some elitist hipster, to each their own, but after exposing myself to the wide and varied world of electronic music nearly 30 years ago, I detest 99% of that mass-produced, shallow and mindless noise fodder on the radio and television. It all sounds the fucking SAME; how is it so popular?? Pop, Rock, Country, ?Hip Hop,? etc., it?s like in each genre, someone made a song that?s essentially been acopied and/or remixed for decades. How do I know this to be true? My girlfriend loves Country music, so I?ve been exposed to it fairly regularly for the better part of 2 years now; she?ll put on a song I?ve never heard before and I can hum the cadence of the words and music simply because it?s so predictable.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Sonmi said:
If you don't cry watching Stand by Me, you lack a soul.
Seconded. A fine movie about boys growing up.

I wish I had more to contribute to the thread at the moment, but I need some time to collect myself (at home, ideally).

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I think it's stupid that aquariums are separate from zoos. Just put the aquarium in a section of the zoo like god intended, already.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
People bitching and moaning about how terrible and obnoxious the Undertale fandom is are far more obnoxious than anything I've encountered with the fandom. Oh, and while I don't think Undertale is the second coming of christ, it's still a wonderful game and the best surprise of 2015 for me, and in no way shape or form deserves the vitriol or hatred that's directed towards it from certain parts of the video game community.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Exley97 said:
Prometheus is great and is one of the best science fiction movies of the decade.

[ducks under desk]
I don't agree that it's the best of the decade, but I sure as hell enjoyed it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
spacemutant IV said:
I love the Akira movie, which many people do, but I also think it's much better than the comic book.
The movie has more memorable artistic weirdness, and the sound just adds so much. Ryu also gets a way better ending in the movie, whereas in the books he just sort of gets forgotten about after the halfway point. And despite the movie ending on destruction I find it more satisfying than the book's, which left an incredibly sour taste in my mouth. I like that the movie ends the way it begins, bringing the whole experience full-circle. And the movie implying Tetsuo became a seperate existing universe always gives me goosebumps.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Exley97 said:
Prometheus is great and is one of the best science fiction movies of the decade.

[ducks under desk]
I wouldn't call it the best myself, but I did greatly enjoy that movie.
Unlike the latest Alien movie it atleast didn't blatantly copy the script from Alien and Aliens.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
kitsunefather said:
I find the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition so boring that I can't play them. Maybe they get extraordinary after the first hour, but I can't make it that far. While I play, all I can think about is all of the other things I could be doing with this time.
No, no, that's about right. They're both packed to the brim with busy work, collecting, and just general faffing about.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I think the "Amazing Spider-Man" movies are better than the "Spider-Man" movies (even if you disregard the train wreck of Spider-Man 3)

It all comes down to Adam Garfield and Emma Stone just nailing their roles. Tobey Mcguire did okay for the time but looking back he kind of over-acts, whereas Garfield is much more natural in the role. Plus their relationship felt much more real than the one between Peter Parker and Mary Jane.

(I also think the Amazing Spider-Man 2 would have been a better movie if it were mostly a romantic comedy and only tangentially featured superhero stuff)

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I like the Shadow the Hedgehog video game. Not ironically, I genuinely enjoyed my time with it. Aside from the tedium of killing every Chaos in the flashback stage, I found the stages enjoyable to go through. Not to mention, for shooter controls adapted to a platformer, the gunplay's actually pretty decent.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
Southland Tales is a really good movie, no movie Richard Kelly has ever been involved in has been anything less than brilliant.

No show HBO produced or aired before or since has been better than Carnivale.

DS9 is the worst Star Trek property. Worse than any of the individual shows or movies.

Legend of the Seeker and The Dresden Files are better ways of adapting a series to television than A Game of Thrones.

I had way more fun with Final Fantasy VIII than I did with VII.

RaikuFA said:
Fallout 4 is not as bad as people make it out to be, dubs aren't bad.
I can get behind that. I'll even add that crafting makes Fallout better.
I don't mind it but fuck Adhesive and aluminum.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
the December King said:
Exley97 said:

[ducks under desk]
I don't agree that it's the best of the decade, but I sure as hell enjoyed it.
Poetic Nova said:
I wouldn't call it the best myself, but I did greatly enjoy that movie.
Unlike the latest Alien movie it atleast didn't blatantly copy the script from Alien and Aliens.
I certainly didn't expect the first two responses to this to be postive. But hey, it's good to hear. I always enjoy meeting/reading others who have an appreciation for that movie.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
I found Half-Life to be a rather boring game, even back in the day.

Overwatch is overrated as hell, with most of the interesting character stuff in it just being fan headcanons that've spread out and about. It's a fuckin' barebones games by itself.

Dark Souls wasn't that good of a game, with most of the difficulty coming from bad balance (see how easy it is to break the game with Magic and/or Heavy Armour) and shitty hitboxes. Also, sweet music, but fuck me the sound design in it was fucking awful.

I really enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition, and found it to be more compelling than The Witcher 3. Not that the Witcher 3 is bad, I just... liked the Inquisitor and their band of merry men WAY more than Geralt and the usual fuckos he hangs with on a day-to-day basis.

Firefly wasn't that good, suffering from the usual problems with Whedon's writing, and I'm pretty sure it's only remembered fondly because it was cancelled early, everyone likes Nathan Fillion and people were still riding the Buffy high.

Exley97 said:

[ducks under desk]
It wasn't one of the best for me, but I did find myself enjoying it despite how much everyone wanted me to hate it - it had some fuck-ups but also had some solid ideas to it, and I was interested in all the stuff about the Engineers it did.

...the part where the dude who mapped the caverns got lost was a little stupid though, likewise with the dude who saw a penis snake and immediately went 'IMMA TOUCH IT'. Like, I know scientists can get a little excited about their work but come on.

CoCage said:
Dragonball Super is a glorified fan fic and more of the same bullshit. The Buu saga is worse than GT. At least GT tried to capture the adventure of the original Dragonball.
...Yeah, honestly, following the current arc and the Supreme Bullshit that is Jiren, and the previous bullshit involving Zamasu, I'm... really struggling to see why people didn't like GT. At least Baby and the Dark Dragons were entertaining antagonists.

And I preferred SS4 over SSGSS. Seemed more... grounded, at least in the sense that enemies who could compete with SS4 didn't have to be dimension-warping gods or whatever bullshit of the week they are in Super.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
CoCage said:
Dragonball Super is a glorified fan fic and more of the same bullshit. The Buu saga is worse than GT. At least GT tried to capture the adventure of the original Dragonball.
...Yeah, honestly, following the current arc and the Supreme Bullshit that is Jiren, and the previous bullshit involving Zamasu, I'm... really struggling to see why people didn't like GT. At least Baby and the Dark Dragons were entertaining antagonists.

And I preferred SS4 over SSGSS. Seemed more... grounded, at least in the sense that enemies who could compete with SS4 didn't have to be dimension-warping gods or whatever bullshit of the week they are in Super.
I was pretty much done with Dragon Ball as soon as Super Saiyan God was introduced. I watched Resurrection of F out of curiosity, but I haven't watched anything Dragon Ball since that. From the bits I've picked up about Super it all sounds so stupid to me.
Dragon Ball GT was a complete mess, shot full of plot holes, continuity errors, and dangling plot threads, but it was still fun to watch. And while I always hated the overall look of Super Saiyan 4, I will agree it is much more, grounded as you say, than the nonsense of SSGSS and whatever.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Let's see:

The Minions are the worst thing to happen to animated films in almost a decade, and Illumination has never made a good movie.
I've never liked any Will Ferrell movies.
I liked Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
Facebook and Twitter are stupid, and Twitter has ruined the internet.
I've never watched Game of Thrones, and I have no intention or urge to do so.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Ezekiel said:
I liked Prometheus too. More than I liked Blade Runner 2, actually. Makes me wonder what a Scott-directed BR sequel would have been like.
What is happening right now? Am I in the Upside Down? The Dark Mirror universe? Did I jump under my desk for *nothing*? WHERE ARE ALL THE PROMETHEUS HATERS???

Wrex Brogan said:
Exley97 said:

[ducks under desk]
It wasn't one of the best for me, but I did find myself enjoying it despite how much everyone wanted me to hate it - it had some fuck-ups but also had some solid ideas to it, and I was interested in all the stuff about the Engineers it did.

...the part where the dude who mapped the caverns got lost was a little stupid though, likewise with the dude who saw a penis snake and immediately went 'IMMA TOUCH IT'. Like, I know scientists can get a little excited about their work but come on.
Yup. Despite my love of the film, I totally agree with this. That scene should have worked better, as it was inconsistent with what the movie had already established about Millburn (he wanted to get the F out of there with Fifield). However, I've posted this in another thread here a few months back, but it bears repeating -- there's a scene that was cut from the threatrical version that shows the team when they first arrive inside the structure, and Millburn discovers the bugs/worms/whatever that eventually get mixed with the black goo and become the snakes, and he's super excited because, as the movie explains, it's the first recorded discovery of life outside of earth, and the bugs/worms are totally harmless. So that kind of explains why he would go from scared tosuddenly excited when the snakes show up. In fact, I think during the audio commentary, either Spaights or Lindelof even acknowledges that the snake scene doesn't work because they cut that 30-second or so segement earlier in the movie. Oh well....when Ridley does a Director's Cut of the film in a few years, he can add that back in (and hopefully more of Janek).