Your Music pet peeves

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Vault101 said:
internet explorer
NHNHGGHHGBJHGGHHH explain or get out.

But yeah, I hate music with good parts in it and then the rest is shithouse. Why would you do that?

Or music that ends on something awesome, and then you don't see it progress.
2:26 is so fucking AWESOME and then it's over. WHY!?!

Bitcoon

May 16, 2012
burningdragoon said:
The only thing that really bugs me is rhyming a word with itself. Except when it's a whole line repeated, since that's not really rhyming as much as just repeating.
Thanks for reminding me of the musical rage I have every time I listen to Sweet Home Alabama.

I'm not sure if it's the actual lyrics but it goes like,
"We were tryin' different things
We were smokin' funny things"
And I just lose it. Seriously, I just rage out loud at this part every time.

First off, using the word THINGS not once, but TWICE? In such a short span? That's the most useless, empty word you can use as a noun and they did it TWICE. And not only that, but at the end of the line both times. Rhyming "things" with itself? No, Sweet Home Alabama, you don't GET a third strike. As far as I'm concerned those two together count as five and you've retroactively destroyed everything that came before that part as well as anything after it.

more OT:
This is half the reason I listen to Japanese and Korean music. It's candy-coated crap probably all about teenagers and sugar and iPods and dancing and love, but I don't care as long as the beat is good and the sound is right. Perfume can go on and on about whatever the hell they want and it will never bother me because I don't know what they're talking about.
Unlike Niki Minaj, who I hate with a passion. I love pop, but GOD I hate the artists. (ESPECIALLY you, Minaj) They're so full of themselves and they sing about the dumbest crap. The ones who are usually good even manage to ruin themselves in a song or two. Even Adelle. You set fire to the rain okay whatever but WHAT THE HELL IS RUMOR HAS IT? I thought you were supposed to be singing, not repeatedly projectile vomiting into the mic!
My favorite English-language pop song.. aside from F*** You, has to be Today I Don't Feel Like Doing Anything. (Yes, I'm so lazy I won't even Google the name of the song so I type in the lyrics DON'T JUDGE ME) And that same guy annoys the crap out of me in everything else he sings. LOVELOVELOVE WHY WON'T YOU KILL YOURSELF FOR MEEEEE?
Worst thing is the damn rap interludes. They've taken over modern pop songs entirely. You ca't get through a song without some random low-voiced guy coming in out of nowhere and rapping about something even dumber than the rest of the song. WAIT GUYS, this song almost sounds good. Let's bring in the guy who can't sing to talk with a backbeat and ruin it!

You'd think with all that, I'd hate pop but for some reason it's all I usually listen to on the radio. That and top songs from the 80s-90s-Onesies, which I usually prefer, actually.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
Vault101 said:
Bhaalspawn said:
If you're going to make an argument for Mac-Music, it helps not to use examples that are actually an Electric Guitar
what? into the void?...I'm pretty sure theres some electronic going on there..and if not Reznor has used electronic or synthetic methods in most of his work

I'm pretty sure "we can make the world stop" is pureley electronic
Listen properly, it's an electric guitar.

Either way, no matter how high quality electronic music is, it's always going to be vastly below proper instruments. A proper instrument can make anything sound good.

CATPCHA: Doe, a deer
Disagree. I much prefer a well-applied, high-quality electronic drum machine to the majority of "real" drumming. For starters, I find the sound generally more satisfying, as well as more varied - and it can do things real drums could never dream of doing, turning them from just percussion into an inventive instrument in its own right. Linkin Park are wizards with this - Robot Boy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck7Vfwo65NI] is probably my favourite example. That drum machine is more than just a beat - it's an atmosphere, a texture that the song delicately floats on.

tl;dr drum machines are far better instruments than real drums in basically every way, IMO.

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
lacktheknack said:
blaqknoise said:
Vault101 said:
gorwling is also a thing for me..though I supose thats a personal taste thing (I just dont really get it)
It adds power and intensity. Well, in my opinion. That's why I like it.
I also find it annoying. I like my power and intensity to come from a good set of pipes or from <youtube=jZNk35OJERI>

<youtube=cR2XilcGYOo>

OT: Bad remixes.

<youtube=YQTV1uciisI>

OH GOD WHY
As far as that last bit is concerned, I whole heartily agree. I mean, I'm not a fan of Dubstep to begin with (I prefer Trance, and maybe some House), but that is one bad mix. Dx

Perhaps whoever made it should have taken some notes from these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRg7vDXhy4o&list=FL-uMXMXwyikmTbxWQjt0z1A&index=16&feature=plpp_video

Leon Declis said:
When they stick rap into a song. Into every single song. As in, I am enjoying my music, with the singer I like, then some random not-very-good rapper comes in, sings about something completely unrelated, usually about how awesome they are and something about hoes, and then the song continues.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FlQSQuv_mg
Yeah... even less of a fan of Pop, Hiphop, and Rap (the last one being worst of all, imo), I mean, at least with the Electronic Genres (Trance, House, Dubstep, etc...) you get either lyrics that don't talk about sex, violence, or how cool it is to be popular, or you get no lyrics at all.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
I'll either just not like a song/artist outright, or if I have a problem, it's because it all goes wrong when the singer opens his/her mouth.

Helloween/Gamma Ray are the worst for this IMO.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
Any kind of music that is generated with software.

Includes 99% of Hip Hop, Rap, Pop Music, and R&B and 100% of NES Rape Tracks (AKA Dubstep)

Honestly, learn to play a god damn instrument!
Dude, you don't make music do you? It takes some serious skill to make good electronic music. It is not something you can just pick up easy as, you need an understanding of music or else you will (and probably would if you were dropped in front of a program) produce utter shit.

is probably a good video to explain it.

I got distracted by listening to all the good music I was sifting through to find something to try to get that 100% down.
It really depends what you want to listen to though... and there is SO MUCH electronic music. SO MUCH. Nobody likes none of it.
I think I could target your palette if I knew what you listened to :D

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
Artist gatecrashes. You know when a song sounds fine 'til the the guy who they decided to collab with decides to open thier trap, and ruins the song. Can't think of any examples, but it's probably because I flushed them all out of my head.

Though when it goes well, I REALLY like it.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Mockney! Oh I hate that stupid fake accent, that goes double for singers. Luckily I don't tend to like the music it is prevalent in but it just grinds when I hear it. Well known singers who use it would be Lily Allen and Kate Nash although there are loads of them.

Pop groups/singers covering songs by metal bands (or other heavier / fringe genres). Not that I particularly hate the cover song usually but because all the little pop fans always seem to think that their favourite band wrote that song etc.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
When people put rap into a song that doesn't need rap.

When a song teases me with a great base moment and never uses again (Coldplay Paradise I'm looking at you).

One direction. I'm sorry but that band is everything I hate in the music industry.

A chorus that's used more than the actual verses.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
Alright, I'll bite.

Sam Totman, Herman Li, John Williams, Yoko Shimomura, Walter Murphy, Globus/Immediate Music, Two Steps From Hell, Derdian, and Thousand Foot Krutch.

Give it your best shot.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that the use of a Tone Piano or an Electric Guitar counts as using an instrument. The kind of electronic music I refer to is music that is generated by synthesis software and put together in any editing software (ie. Skrillex, the track in Hip Hop music, that weird popping sound at the start of "Crawling"). The kind of music that sounds like R2D2 being raped by Optimus Prime.
Eh okay. Well, a great deal of electronic music is sampling and re-editing. Which is why next time don't make a generalised statement like "Any kind of music that is generated with software" without explaining that if it's sampled or produced by a synth that uses an instrument as a starting point (ie, synth guitar) it doesn't fit your description. This basically excludes 90% of electronica. Hey, Daft Punk doesn't fit your description.
Harder than I thought, seeing as I don't understand the appeal of your music (any of what you posted above), nor do I listen to anything really similar. So I may just post some stuff in the hope you like some of it XD

I think I stopped looking for music to suit you and just started going "this is good and fits your description-ish" at a point.

Funnily enough the song that got me into electronica isn't electronica. Twas "Pendulum - The Tempest" which then motivated me to look into Pendulum and it went from there.

Saying things like "Okay, good electronic artists may exist, but they are still miles beneath real musicians." is just horribly moronic. Just because you don't understand a genre doesn't mean you should go slag it off and say that artists in it are not "real musicians" and say everyone else is better. Because if I knew you I would just punch you in the face.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
gNetkamiko said:
lacktheknack said:
blaqknoise said:
Vault101 said:
gorwling is also a thing for me..though I supose thats a personal taste thing (I just dont really get it)
It adds power and intensity. Well, in my opinion. That's why I like it.
I also find it annoying. I like my power and intensity to come from a good set of pipes or from <youtube=jZNk35OJERI>

<youtube=cR2XilcGYOo>

OT: Bad remixes.

<youtube=YQTV1uciisI>

OH GOD WHY
As far as that last bit is concerned, I whole heartily agree. I mean, I'm not a fan of Dubstep to begin with (I prefer Trance, and maybe some House), but that is one bad mix. Dx

Perhaps whoever made it should have taken some notes from these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRg7vDXhy4o&list=FL-uMXMXwyikmTbxWQjt0z1A&index=16&feature=plpp_video

Also, the Windowlicker mix could have been good, had they of actually used THE MAIN THEMES of the original song. I mean, listen to that mix, then listen to the actual song.

<youtube=FATTzbm78cc>

Notice how the remix focused nearly exclusively on one bloody transition instead of any of the important bits.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
Alright, I'll bite.

Sam Totman, Herman Li, John Williams, Yoko Shimomura, Walter Murphy, Globus/Immediate Music, Two Steps From Hell, Derdian, and Thousand Foot Krutch.

Give it your best shot.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that the use of a Tone Piano or an Electric Guitar counts as using an instrument. The kind of electronic music I refer to is music that is generated by synthesis software and put together in any editing software (ie. Skrillex, the track in Hip Hop music, that weird popping sound at the start of "Crawling"). The kind of music that sounds like R2D2 being raped by Optimus Prime.
<youtube=FATTzbm78cc>

<youtube=WtU_qAM7bIc>

<youtube=IPEW_2Q8ejI>

Fun Fact: Richard spent four days synthesizing the sound of that didgeridoo from scratch.

<youtube=y0LO6v43YCo>

<youtube=uiUAq4aVTjY>

<youtube=iyH-HKm1qjg>

You may notice that I'm a major Aphex Twin fan. ;P

I didn't even pay too much attention to your musical tastes, as they're really varied anyways.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
debra_ beretta said:
Microgenres. Are they *really* necessary?!
No. No they are not.

As far as I'm concerned, musical separation stops at sub-genres. For example, Hard Rock below Rock, Techno below Electronic, or Swing below Jazz.

debra_ beretta said:
Also, more often than not, a "dubstep drop" is so predictable in its arrival that it makes me sick.
I'm thinking you're referring to Bro-step, not dubstep in general.

I will agree, though, that Bro-step is VERY predictable.

Vault101 said:
Vigormortis said:
indeed, hell they are like my "go to" group for defending the electronic genre as a whole,
If you like them, then may I suggest another band/artist you may or may not have heard of:

He's primarily an electronic artist who intermixes lots of electric and acoustic instruments into his songs. His music spans quite a few varied genres. He's released several of his own albums since the 90's. However, a majority of his work is composing remixes and original songs for other artists, films, games, commercials, etc.

Honestly, I can all but guarantee you've heard at least one of his songs before, but likely didn't know it. Here's a very small sampling:
The titular song from his (imo) best album.
I love this song. Especially the violin piece near the end.
One of the first songs previewed from his upcoming album.
I thought this was a fantastic remix of Hans Zimmers tracks Time and Dream is Collapsing.
This one's slow to build, but I rather like it.
Last song post, I promise. This is another of my favorites. Just a great song to relax to.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Bhaalspawn said:
TheKasp said:
Bhaalspawn said:
So you just basically never heard a good electronic artist.
Okay, good electronic artists may exist, but they are still miles beneath real musicians.

Case in Point:

Oh my the irony...

You DO realize, of course, that large portions of the first and third songs you've posted were made using electronic "instruments", right? Hell, I can tell you right now the beat in that first song is made almost entirely with synths. I've used enough of the things in my own songs to know that much.

Maybe you should try analyzing your own musical preferences and preconceptions before you start making blanket generalizations.

Just sayin'.

Also, "real musicians" compose great music, regardless of what "instruments" they use. Just because some jackass can strum a few guitar strings it doesn't make him better than a musician who uses a computer to compose music.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
I hate when electronic sounds good at first, but then the "DJ" (If you call them that.) drops the bass and goes into a steady rhythm of "Feedback loop(That annoying sound of a cat dieing), Feedback loop, Bassdrop, WUB". I also hate when artists mix primarily with their computer. I think the art of using turntables is dying =/

Captcha: Laser beams

I guess captcha is in the mood for a rave