Your Music pet peeves

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
Vault101 said:
Bhaalspawn said:
If you're going to make an argument for Mac-Music, it helps not to use examples that are actually an Electric Guitar
what? into the void?...I'm pretty sure theres some electronic going on there..and if not Reznor has used electronic or synthetic methods in most of his work

I'm pretty sure "we can make the world stop" is pureley electronic
Listen properly, it's an electric guitar.

Either way, no matter how high quality electronic music is, it's always going to be vastly below proper instruments. A proper instrument can make anything sound good.

CATPCHA: Doe, a deer
and theres alot more going on than JUST an electric guitar..NIN's music is hardly ever "organic"...but mabye that was a bad example

anyway..what I'm trying to say is its NOT about skill or supiriority its about the medium, its the SOUND

you may like the sound of "real" instraments...but I also find the sound of some electronic very pleasing

oh and they do know how to play intraments..their instraments are their keyboards/comptuer programs

[quote/]Yeah, snubbing electronica is a blanket generalizations. It's also a generalization when I say 4Chan is populated by the slime of humanity. But it's not a big stretch and frankly I don't care.[/quote]

actually it is a big strech. much more subjectivity involved

[quote/]" and somehow I have walked into a junior high school dance with all the crusading done for electronic music.[/quote]

don't do that, it does nothing for your argument...its petty

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Bhaalspawn said:
Did I say "Any kind of generated sound at any point in time"? No, I said "Songs generated entirely on software or editing programs".

The kind of ear torture that people like Skrillex or the MLP Musicians are known for.

Also, Faraway has no synthesis is it, don't know where you get that from. The rythym track is created by a magical device that is commonly known as a "Drum"

Yeah, snubbing electronica is a blanket generalizations. It's also a generalization when I say 4Chan is populated by the slime of humanity. But it's not a big stretch and frankly I don't care.

This thread was asking people the things about music they find annoying. I replied with "Entirely electronic music" and somehow I have walked into a junior high school dance with all the crusading done for electronic music.

To paraphrase Yahtzee Croshaw:

All reviews are subjected to personal opinion. And if you personally enjoy it then it really shouldn't get to you.
Am I somehow harming your precious electronica by saying I reach for the mute button the instant it starts playing? No. So give it a rest already.
Your quotation of Yahtzee is kind of pointless as I'm not insisting that you enjoy electronic music, nor am I saying I'm bothered by you NOT liking it.

I was simply pointing out the fallacy of your assertions that ALL electronic music is bad. (opinions aren't facts, like you said) Certainly not because it's often made with a computer. Likewise, I was pointing out the irony of your examples as to why non-electronic music is better.

For example: Ignoring your inappropriate use of arrogant condescension (yes, I know what a drum is), that first song most definitely had a layer of electronic sound and/or manipulation to that beat. It doesn't matter if the base sound was made with a real drum, the final song contains an electronically produced beat.

And that is where the irony lies. (or the hypocrisy, depending on how you look at it. forum's been full of hypocrisy lately, so it may apply)

[as a side note, not all electronic musicians are like Skrllex. A LOT of the better ones operate more like classical composers of old. Just because they use blends of synths and "real" instruments doesn't diminish the quality of the music they compose. No matter how much you dislike it.]

You're free to state your opinion, but don't act as though it's fact. And, don't lambast people for disagreeing. If you expect people to respect your opinion, maybe you should try respecting theirs.

LordHotCakes

Feb 28, 2011
Strange, confusing, terrible and/or dumb sounding lyics in songs.

Like J-Lo's I'm in to you Feat: Lil' Wayne (I write it that way because I'm street). At the start, Lil' Wayne does his little rap... that ALL chart songs have these days (Wonderful). And says this line: "And all of that changed since I met you, So we can leave that old shit in the restroom"

What? Did I just hear that right? Shit? Restroom? Well, call him a fucking poet! Let's get some Romance up in this shit!

Another stuck me as odd, was a line from, I think Chris Brown? Either way, the line goes: "I put my hands up in the air sometimes".

Considering that this song is about partying (Wooo!) Isn't that all you do? It just sounds odd :\

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
When an otherwise awesome sounding song becomes marred because some singer who's voice doesn't fit decides what the song REALLY needs is some generic lyrics...
Example:

Also when people seem to 'staple' you into a genre, because for some reason a lot of people can't believe that I genuinely enjoy each of the following songs:

It honestly seems like people think I'm not allowed to listen to more then one genre...
Though that's more a problem with people then music ;)

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Actually, "deep" lyrics of any kind (so obviously I'm not a big fan of poetry). It's like when you see a play after learning theater tech, some people can only see what's going on behind the scenes and how things were made rather than being able to appreciate the whole product. So to me "deep" lyrics just sound like they're trying to be deep.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
KefkaCultist said:
-Metal songs about satan, killing, etc.
I've often wondered why nobody else I've seen has remarked on how utterly silly it is that there's a serious metal band called "Megadeth", with album titles like Killing is my business, and business is good!. Now, I could understand it if they were like Alestorm, revelling in their silliness, but this Megadeth band seem completely dead serious about what they do and everyone just accepts it as normal. I need an explanation!
Probably because megadeth isn't serious. Megadeth was a discarded name for pink Floyd when they formed and killing is my business and holy wars etc are about the punisher

Cerdog

Dec 7, 2010
Vigormortis said:
I'm thinking you're referring to Bro-step, not dubstep in general.
I thought you didn't believe in microgenres.

Talking of which, I find it annoying when people complain about genres. They're useful, you don't have to use them if you don't want to, and there really aren't that many of them (and the ones there are aren't normally very similar).

I have various issues with other things people have said in the thread, but it would take too long to reply to them individually. They're largely to do with people blanket hating all harsh vocals (doubly so if they call them "screamo").

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Goddamn breakdowns in hardcore and metalcore. Don't get me wrong, I love a good breakdown, but you don't need one in every song, have a solo instead sometimes. Most shit breakdowns are done by shit bands anyway, so I don't have to hear them, but even good breakdowns grow tiresome after the 12th time on one album.

This isn't in music, but people complaining 'DATZ NUT METULZ' or similar. It's just pedantic.

Jazoni89 said:
The second one is definitely true for Grunge.

It's always Nirvana this, Nirvana that, Nirvana created Grunge, Kurt Cobain is God, I want to snort Cobain's ashes...What about Mudhoney, or one of the real originators of the genre like the U-Men and Tad, or hell...even some Soundgarden, or frikken Pearl Jam will do.

There is so much good stuff in that genre that was overshadowed by the juggernaut that is Nirvana. They weren't even as good as the others as well, and they pretty much ripped the Pixies off anyway, so they weren't all that original.

Here's a challenge for all you guys: Go up to any kid wearing a Nirvana shirt, and ask them to name five Grunge bands, and guess what, nine times out of ten I bet you they will only say one, or maybe two if by any chance they know Pearl Jam.
I agree with that. Admittedly, Nirvana are my favourite grunge band (and one of my favourite bands of all time, too), but there's a hell of a lot more grunge than just that. What irritates me the most, rather than kids in Nirvana shirts not knowing other grunge bands, is kids in Nirvana shirts not knowing Nirvana very well. Smells Like Teen Spirit is the worst Nirvana song. I don't really understand people who like one song by a band and never check out any of their other stuff.

headbanger97

Mar 3, 2010
I would have to say my pet peeve is auto tune and other tools like that. I've always considered it a respectable thing to have a skill like singing and guitar playing. But now that auto tune is here it seems like everyone suddenly doesn't care about those things anymore and now i'm just ranting so i'm going to stop now before something bad happens...

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i'm not exactly sure... i don't like main stream music most the time. basically anything on the radio, it gets played to death. i hate hearing the same songs every day. they were bad the first time, and hell the 1000th time.

also yeah, anything with vocal filtering. just proves how talentless mainstream singers are. gotta cover up that shitty voice the same way they cover up their shitty face with makeup.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I don't like music that is pushed along by the mainstream. Especially when it's music that many people of my culture grew up with and are only interested in it because it's what's popular at moment.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
i hold a rather deep disdain for most of the pop songs released in the last 5 years, i don't like rap at all, and they stick it in almost every song! country music is only tolerable in small doses.

Rap is my most hated 'song' type, and i use the word song very generously, listen to any rap song for about 30 seconds and it WILL contain one of the following pretty much every time:

~a "brother" getting shot or killed (or some other family member)
~some form of derogitory term related to women
~money
~sex (or whatever particular euphamisms for it)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
lunavixen said:
i hold a rather deep disdain for most of the pop songs released in the last 5 years, i don't like rap at all, and they stick it in almost every song! country music is only tolerable in small doses.

Rap is my most hated 'song' type, and i use the word song very generously, listen to any rap song for about 30 seconds and it WILL contain one of the following pretty much every time:

~money
not "any" rap song...most gangsta/pop type rap songs

Reginald

May 9, 2012
Bhaalspawn said:
Am I somehow harming your precious electronica by saying I reach for the mute button the instant it starts playing? No. So give it a rest already.
The Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack is better than any music you listen to. Or any music at all. Anything that isn't the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack isn't worth listing to. This is the objective truth, because it is my opinion. Also, the only music I've ever actually listened to is on the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack. If you disagree, you have bad taste.

Wow, how stupid does that sound? See what I did there? I'm pretending to b a berk. What you're doing, is actually being a berk. It's irritating, so naturally people are going to take offence.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Reginald said:
Bhaalspawn said:
The Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack is better than any music you listen to. Or any music at all. Anything that isn't the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack isn't worth listing to. This is the objective truth, because it is my opinion. Also, the only music I've ever actually listened to is on the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack. If you disagree, you have bad taste.

Wow, how stupid does that sound? See what I did there? I'm pretending to b a berk. What you're doing, is actually being a berk. It's irritating, so naturally people are going to take offence.
Berk?

we both know what the BEST music is....

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
lunavixen said:

~money
Then you have just really not explored the genre and have probably dismissed it unfairly. That statement is the equivalent of saying all metal is about satan or all country is about Jesus and Texas.

However, by posting these, I don't want to suggest that the only good rap is where they avoid the subject matters suggested above. Jay Z for example, is pretty much as stereotypical a rapper as you can get, but I still think that he is a good musician. I think the Blueprint is one of the finest albums released in the 00s.
Just because you can't relate to what a musician is singing about doesn't mean its bad music and doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it. The Rolling Stones have a bunch of songs about sex and drugs that I can't really relate to or agree with in any way. I'm going to guess that you don't bat an eyelid when AC/DC or the Velvet Underground sing about the same subject matters that you talked about above.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Most anything you hear on the radio is not that good, rap included.
You have to go underground to find the diamonds.