Your Name.

T4FF3R

Mar 22, 2011
My name is Richard, and I'm very happy with it. The only downside is that my last name begins and ends with R as well. That's a lot of R's when my full name is spoken aloud.

I was named after my maternal grandfather. My nickname growing up was Ricky, and is still in use by relatives and some childhood friends; I cringe every time I hear it. I started going by Rich when I hit middle and high school. In my mid 20s when I got a new job there was someone in my department whose nickname was also "Rich" so I used my full name to avoid confusion.

I prefer my full name now so I always introduce myself as Richard. It's interesting when friends of mine meet and they address me differently based on how long ago they met me.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
i like my name when you put all my names together it means giving decendants giving ceasar king that just sounds cool to me

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
NightmareWarden said:
Kiyeri said:
Both my first and middle name are from my family. My real name is Katherine, but that was a pain for young me to write out. I'm usually Katie in person but with a couple people and on the internet I usually go with Kate. People in high school called me by my last name though, that was annoying since my last name really sucks. Same with the nickname Kitty. I am not a cat. I do not look like a cat. I do not like cats. Do not call me a cat.
Did you get that avatar recently or something? You certainly look like a cat to me... I've always wondered what life would be like if I went by my middle name or some variation of it.
Vincent
Vinnie/Vinny (George Carlin, may his ashes hit someone in the eye like he would have wanted, said it is a tough name but it sounds like a baby name to me...so conflicted)
Vince (Totally doesn't fit for my appearance, but whatever)
What are you talking abou- Oh......well....oops. *ahem* It appears I need a new avatar then! Off to go find something that is totally not contradictory to what I posted! :D

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Sebastian. It's a mouthful to say so my friends call me Seb. My family calls me by my full name though, Sebastian.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
Adam Joseph Johnson

Pretty generic right? Yeah, I know. I'm not a big fan of it. I always wanted a middle name that was cool enough that I could go by it instead of my first name, or I wish I had a last name that was unique enough to be called by that.

I went to high school with a kid whose last name was Axle and I swear to this day I do not know his first name.

Anyway, I almost exclusively go by Adam (and of course when I was younger my dad gave me the nickname Adam Bomb which was later shortened to A-Bomb....actually have an uncle that still calls me that even though I'm 24 now). My old radio station boss and a select others call me AJ which is ok I guess.

My other uncle calls me "popcorn" because I apparently liked popcorn as a kid.

When I was first born my dad wanted to name me Butch, but he couldn't get my mom to go with that.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
I always introduce myself by my full name, Nicholas. Everyone still shortens it to Nick. I gave up on correcting them by the time I was ten and it doesn't really bug me anymore, but I still prefer the sound of the full version. Now, what really cheeses me off is when someone calls me "Nicky", that is a girl's name.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
My name is Corey, and I'm a guy. It's actually quite uncommon that someone who doesn't know me spells it with the 'E'. Not that big a deal though, and I don't see anything wrong with the name.

Vanilla_Druid

Feb 14, 2012
I was given the name Neil, which would not be so bad if it did not sound like a verb. I have been called "Neil Young", "Neil Diamond", and "Neil Armstrong", which annoys me to no end. I hate it when people give me nicknames; I was given my name for a reason. Apparently I was named after one of my mother's ex-boyfriends.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
I Stomp on Kittens said:
I don't mind my name, Spencer. I have no nickname except the occasional "Spency-Poo" or "Spency-Wency" from joking friends and hot babes alike. I always wanted some sort of ballin' nickname that I would be recognized by.. Oh well, maybe someday.
That's a fantastic name. 'Spensive' could be a suitably nifty nickname if you've got lots of dosh.

Matt is unexciting and unadventurous. I'm not a fan of being called 'Maaatt Daaamon' (not my real last name, thank goodness for small favours), which is why I moved north of the border.

Oct 27, 2010
Melissa. Everyone calls me Mel though. I used to hate being called Mel but it grew on me. But because of the shortened name, I've been mistakenly called other "mel" names including melany, melody, etc. the one thing I REALLY hate is if someone calls me missy. Seriously, if anyone calls me that, they will have their throat promptly torn out so they may never mutter the name again.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Michael Gene Short. I'm fine with Michael, even Mike & Mikey are fine, I don't care. Gene is fine too, unique enough for me. Short, ah so many stupid lame ass jokes. At least I'm not short.

The only nickname that ever stuck was "Flame". Red hair & setting things on fire will get you that kind of alias.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
Matthew. I generally like my name, and am glad for it. As far as stuff people call me by it only ever goes as far as Matt, so I say lucked out a decent bit.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Matthew. I like the name, but I do have some difficulty calling myself "Matty" or even "Matt", not entirely sure why.

Weirdly, for about 3 years there was a good portion of my friends who called me Simon, but thankfully that stopped about a year ago. All I did was purposefully call a couple of twins each other's names and so they gave me the name Simon, and it stuck massively.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
My name is OK, simple, cannot be shortened or get nicknames from.

It'll do.

3aqua

Aug 17, 2010
Theodore Jerzy Raoul Curtis. Quite a mouthful isn't it? Everyone calls me Theo and I'm still waiting for a nickname

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
My first name is unusual enough that most people don't bother with nicknaming me. I won't lie, I'd rather be named something common.

Xdeser2 said:
My Names Tim

so, It was a little annoying being called Timmy in high school, but overall, I guess my names fine
Tims across the world must mark 19 April 2000 as the day their name went from "perfectly innocuous" to "millstone 'round my neck."

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Edit: Didn't realise how old this thread was. Turns out I've already commented o_O

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
James. Always liked my name, simple for others to remember, and because my last name is also one syllable long it means I can pull off the "Names Bond...James Bond" phrase if and when the situation arises (which is basically never).

I dunno why my parents chose it though, to this day they always call Jamie. Some of my friends also call me Jimmy which I don't mind.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Due to my transgendered nature, I've used two names. I picked the one I use now, which is Valetta, Val for short.

The one I used pre-transition was William. It's derived from the Germanic name Wilhelm, which is a portmanteau of "will", which means the desire of or to, and "helm", which means protect, which meant the name's meaning was "the desire for protection" or the "desire to protect". It was strangely fitting as it was an identity used as a shield.