Your Nation's Mythology! =D

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
Hmm well for the 1st of march men have to give women a small gift as a good luck charm (usually shaped like a horse-shoe or a chimney-sweep) tied to a red-and-white ribbon signifying blood and snow, and the woman has to wear it tied to her wrist till the day corresponding her birthday between 1st-9th of march-the 9 old hags tradition- (in case the birthday is 10+, you add the numbers. example: 13=1+3=4.29=2+9=11=1+1=2) , then she has to tie the ribbon to a blooming cherry tree, and the wish she made on that day will come true.

Then there's saint Andrew's day, when we put wheat seeds to grow in a small bowl..dunno why exactly, I guess to signify a plentiful harvest idk..

We also have saint Nicholas (the original saint nick) on the 6th of december, who brings gifts to kids in their and places them in their boots (which they have to clean the night before) and whips for the naughty..so we kinda have 2 Christmases.

Aaaand I don't remember right now, I don't know the traditions very well.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I live in Ye Olde Albion. So yeah, fuck loads of mythology. I suppose since we've been invaded so much over the years you could include Roman and Norse mythology, along with Celtic, Medival ect.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Furburt said:
Irish stuff. Fighting mostly. And something about a very large bull.
Because we're manly men. :D

And here's your bull I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A1in_B%C3%B3_C%C3%BAailnge

Knock yourself out.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
DuplicateValue said:
That happens to be my favourite.
The Valkyries and Valhalla just seem so awesome to me.

That and Beouwulf. :D
Yeah, I am really proud of "my" mythology :D
I mean, it has been used in a lot of games and all even. That must amount to something.

I think it is kinda funny how one of the places in the mythology is called Asgard, when I was born and raised at a small place called Asgardane. Which in reality means "The Hill Farms", but still :p

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I'm Scottish so, Nessy, there was this thing to fuck with people about being able to catch an Haggis

Banter

Apr 1, 2009
ravens_nest said:
I think you've just isolated the majority of the community with that question...

The UK, USA, Canada and Australia don't really have mythological backgrounds. Perhaps change the question to legends instead?

Like William Wallace, Ned Kelly, Jesse James and... erm... Bryan Adams etc?
USA has Native American mythology. South America has Aztec & Mayans, they're really interesting. Australia has Aboriginals. Canada has Bigfoot. UK has a lot of Viking/anglo-saxon influences.

Think about something not many people realise:
Sunday - Sun Day (pagan)
Monday - Moon Day (pagan)
Tuesday - Tīw's Day. alternate spelling: Tyr - god of single combat, victory and heroic glory in Norse mythology.
Old Norse didn't write in English so spelling is slightly variable.
Wednesday - Woden's day. Woden = Oden/Odin. You know of him, right?
Thursday - Thor's day. Good man, 'nuff said.
Friday - Frigg's day. Odin's wife
Saturday - Saturn's day. Roman god of agriculture.

There's plenty of mythology all over the UK, you're just not looking hard enough. Or at all.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
faceless chick said:
Hmm well for the 1st of march men have to give women a small gift as a good luck charm (usually shaped like a horse-shoe or a chimney-sweep) tied to a red-and-white ribbon signifying blood and snow, and the woman has to wear it tied to her wrist till the day corresponding her birthday between 1st-9th of march-the 9 old hags tradition- (in case the birthday is 10+, you add the numbers. example: 13=1+3=4.29=2+9=11=1+1=2) , then she has to tie the ribbon to a blooming cherry tree, and the wish she made on that day will come true.

Then there's saint Andrew's day, when we put wheat seeds to grow in a small bowl..dunno why exactly, I guess to signify a plentiful harvest idk..

We also have saint Nicholas (the original saint nick) on the 6th of december, who brings gifts to kids in their and places them in their boots (which they have to clean the night before) and whips for the naughty..so we kinda have 2 Christmases.

Aaaand I don't remember right now, I don't know the traditions very well.
That's needlessly complicated. :D

What country are you from?

_zuul

Nov 9, 2009
USA

the usa was founded by bible-thumping christians

or did someone else call that already?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
King Arthur, Saint George, whatever the Celtic Druids believed in.

But I'll stick to King Arthur because he's she's just badass.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
I live in holland, and I have no idea what kind of mythology we have here... If we even have any. Though there's this which almost replaces christmas: (I hope this'll work) Sinterklaas. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas]

Edit: Link should now work properly.
Edit: Okay, now it should.
Edit: Okay, nevermind trying it myself, I qouted you, DuplicateValue.
Might as well steal your bold Edits too, while I'm at it.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
_zuul said:
USA

Technically (excepting the Native Americans) the USA was largely founded by people fleeing religious and political persecution of the bible-thumpers in their original countries. Predictably, this opened the path to new and exciting types of bible thumping.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
TooMiserableToLive said:
I live in holland, and I have no idea what kind of mythology we have here... If we even have any. Though there's this which almost replaces christmas: (I hope this'll work) Sinterklaas. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas]
If it doesn't work, please explain how it works...
Dammit, didn't work... Help please?
You say [ url=*link* ] *words* [/ url] (without spaces).

Just quote me to see. :)

Edit: Fixed mistake.

Edit: Or not. How embarrassing.

Edit: Got it! :D

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
geldonyetich said:
_zuul said:
USA

Technically (excepting the Native Americans) the USA was largely founded by people fleeing religious and political persecution of the bible-thumpers in their original countries. Predictably, this opened the path to new and exciting types of bible thumping.
Weren't the escapees bible thumpers themselves who getting away from an increasingly anti-bible thumping society?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
DuplicateValue said:
Amnestic said:

What's that from?
That's some Fanart, I assume. It's from the game/manga/anime series Fate/Stay Night.

It's pretty decent. If you want to know everything anything about it, just ask NeutralDrow. He's a big fan.

mercertheblack

Feb 11, 2009
The US has the myth that everything was better in the Old Days... nevermind the racism and mysogyny and exploitation of anybody who didn't have money and/or power. There's also the myths that change is always bad, that private industry will police itself, that opportunities are actually equal no matter how little money a person has, and that the consumer has any capacity to affect markets outside of the choice of what logo is on the condom they put on when they screw us.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Lonan said:
geldonyetich said:
_zuul said:
USA

Weren't the escapees bible thumpers themselves who getting away from an increasingly anti-bible thumping society?
Honestly, it's tough to determine which was more extremist, but suffice to say there was a definite difference in belief which lead to an exodus due to what they perceived as religious persecution.

Of course, the number of people in the states these days that actually reflect the ethnicity of our founding colonists is probably somewhere around 10%.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Amnestic said:
DuplicateValue said:
Amnestic said:

What's that from?
That's some Fanart, I assume. It's from the game/manga/anime series Fate/Stay Night.

It's pretty decent. If you want to know everything anything about it, just ask NeutralDrow. He's a big fan.
I just might. :)

I've only recently gotten into anime/manga, but the ones I've seen/read so far have been quite good.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
DuplicateValue said:
TooMiserableToLive said:
If it doesn't work, please explain how it works...
Dammit, didn't work... Help please?
You say [ url=*link* ] *words* [/ url] (without spaces).

Just quote me to see. :)

Edit: Fixed mistake.

Edit: Or not. How embarrassing.

Edit: Got it! :D
Yay for triple edit.

Thanks.