Your Newest Game: what did you get and why?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
witcher 3.. i played the previous games and thought they were ok and while a beautiful game witcher 3 really isnt grabbing me. it doesnt help things when i dont like geralt as a character

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Tokyo Babylon was on sale for 50% on steam (still is I believe) and I had my eye on it so I just had to get it. It's a religious themed VN with a lot of top tier voice actors (fans of Monogatari series will be happy), deals with the end of the world and lots of epic stuff. Also is one of those actually uncensored VNs on Steam since it never had actual sex scenes to begin with, so I had no issues with getting it on steam which was good.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
The last game I got was actually gifted by a friend, Humble Bundle surplus. Guacamelee, and The Swapper (Swap?). Have tried Guacamelee, looks like a fun lil in between game which I could get into when I don't have a lot of time to kill.

The last game I bought on my own was Quantum Break. I'm actually not even that hype for it, but I really like Sam Lake's writing, and loved the Max Payne series. I was a bit put off in the beginning by the idea of the episodic TV shows and wondering if it would lean on gimmicks too much, but I've played an hour and a bit of it so far and it seems pretty good. Really polished, graphics are great, runs smooth on my GTX 1060, gun play is nice, voice acting and models/textures are great. Story is paced nice enough that I'm into it. But we'll see if that holds up and draws me in more, or gets tedious.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Probably Shadow of Mordor along with Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin for the PS4. They're sitting on the shelf though, I'm much more focused on my new gaming PC. Skyrim with ultra settings and 40+ mods is just as absorbing as it was back in the day.

Latest game I installed was Team Fortress 2. It's been well over a year since I last played it, and it made me remember how good it is when you have a good team. Playing Scout is still fun as ever.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Sleeping Dogs ?4.29 with all DLC! Sweet
Having great fun walking round dressed as Kato shoving peoples heads into air-conditioning units!

KB13

Oct 3, 2011
Horizon Zero Dawn.

I was excited to play as an almost Miyazaki lead female character. She is curious, not afraid to speak her mind and best of all wasn't making my ears bleed listening to her talk. Her outfits were appropriate for the environment she lived in, mostly, would have given her a coat with the Nora armor to be honest, but eh. As hanselthecaretaker pointed out there are some issues with lip sync, but then I haven't seen a game with perfect lip sync. I do disagree with the loot being too random. It just didn't bother me when I spend a lot of time playing dungeon crawlers like Class of Heroes, in which I have spent three years looking for a coffee table for a quest.

I have beaten the game and I loved the ending as much as I hated it. The game play is smooth, Aloy's movement in fluid and I don't have the Assassin's Creed effect when I climb things, i.e. flinging herself off to her death. The environments are absolutely gorgeous. I am a photographer by trade so I am in love with Photo Mode. Check out some I took here (http://anise-wintertalon.tumblr.com/) Should be right at or near the top I don't post or reblog that much. Was it worth $60? For me yes, there is re-play value, as you can tailor Aloy's personality to fit you with the Cunning, Compassionate or Aggressive response wheel and there are different ending depending on which of the quests you complete. I give it a 9/10 due to some lip sync issues and this one guy whose torso kept disappearing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It was (a quality looking) Zelda, and I figured I might as well give my Wii-U one final heartbeat. It's really fucking good and deserving of most of the praise it's getting. I don't think I've ever played an (open-world) game that had me exploring just for the sake of exploration. Not to get to the next objective, or in the hopes of finding a collectable or bit of loot, but simple to see what's on the other side.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Zhukov said:
I lost interest about two thirds of the way through when I realised there wasn't even any point to switching weapons. I was literally running in circles just mindlessly spamming the trigger at anything that moved with whatever weapon I had ammo for and pressing the execution button whenever something flashed blue and orange.
Yeah, Doom plays much more like an arcade game than the more narrative focused Wolfenstein reboot. Though I think that descision favored the game's strengths. The game constantly keeps you in that loop of escalating action by introducing a new baddie and weapon just as things become stale so while the game remains 'repetitive' the rhythm continues to be slightly altered culminating in this adrenaline pumped crescendo. The developers knew the set-up for the Doom story is stupid and used this self-aware lighthearted tone for a really comedic effect of the carnage. All this combined with the smooth as butter gameplay really made for an enjoyable experience I think. Espescially b/c it also ends at just the right length.

Anyways last game I got is..Nier Automata I think? A flawed gem that provides a unique, one of a kind experience. Despite not being the biggest platinum fan I actually enjoy the gameplay in Automata a lot considering the combat is a stripped down version of their more complex titles and it's mixed with a lot of different experimentations in gameplay and narrative design(which take the front seat). For a game like this to still have a robust combat system is the best of both worlds really. I absolutely love the story and the characters but the backgrounds and general 'open world' leave a lot to be desired. It has that same empty space as other platinum titles though admittedly it's mitigated somewhat by the desolate feel of the world and genuinely nice lighting(the character models look unique and awesome too). I doubt this game is on the same budget as, say, gorgeous looking games like Final Fantasy 15 or Horizon but to have such an experimental title that really breaks from the conventional mold of videogame making while producing such levels of unexpected charm and enjoyment made in this day and age by a triple A development studio is a miracle in itself.

Come to think of it last game I got is Astebreed. The shmup portions of Automata really left me wanting for more. :p

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
The last game I got was the new Torment: Tides of Numa Numa
Backed the Kickstarter way back when.

And it pains me to say that the game is just not good.
From all 3 games that I backed and played until now (Pillermann of Eternity, D:OS and this) Torment is by far the worst.

The chapters feel disjointed, the setting is just a horrible mixture of everything the writers could think of, battles are slow and it is criminally short for a RPG, which I guess could be counted as a positive point.

All the people that thought that PoE was a disappointment will dislike this game even more.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Strider 2014, although I actually won it in a giveaway from a fellow user[footnote]Sorry, don't remember your name, but if you're reading this: big thanks![/footnote]

I like it so far. Decent metroidvania with pretty good action. I especially like that your basic attack slashes as fast as you can press the button. Very satisfying to hammer away and see you dude turn in to a whirlwind of slashy death.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Most recent was Pokemon Moon, and I've barely touched it. No clue why. I like what I've played so far, but I just can't drag myself away from Dota and Runescape to go at it.

Also I've started playing the Elysium WoW server.

Jan 27, 2011
Pyrian said:
Dust: An Elysian Tale. I mean Tail. It's alright, but I got bored after a bit.

aegix drakan said:
Invisible Inc, because it was 6 bucks and looked like a turn based tactical stealth game, two genres I love, so why not.
What did you think? I love and hate that game so much. Like, I adore the core gameplay, but it really seems like it needed several more dev cycles to iron out the issues. Quite different in that respect from Mark of the Ninja (Klei's previous game).
I legit haven't had time to play it. I JUST got it, and I've got a lot of schoolwork and other games that need my attention at the moment. I'll get to it eventually.

Also, Pity you got bored of Dust. The gameplay loop is pretty static, but I found it a blast to combo enemies all the way up to the sky. And the sidequests are hilarious, complimenting the serious plot.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
pookie101 said:
witcher 3.. i played the previous games and thought they were ok and while a beautiful game witcher 3 really isnt grabbing me. it doesnt help things when i dont like geralt as a character
Yeah, Geralt is definitely the weakest part for me. His monotone voice, only ever able to match one believable emotion; sarcasm. Everything else feels too false and forced. I have no idea why everybody in the game world loves him so much. One would almost think he was intended as a blank canvas for the observer/reader/player to project themselves into, while given the flimsiest of excuses as to why it is so. Granted, the source material only allows so much, but that doesn't make spending time as him any more enjoyable. Everytime another more interesting character appeared (which was anyone), all I wanted to do was latch on to them instead for something a bit more emotionally stimulating. But no, back to being Geralt again. *Sigh* Fantasy Batman is what he is. Even with the fantasy detective vision!

Only realised just yesterday that everything in the quest/bestiary/menu info screen is supposed to be written by the Dandelion bard character, which is a cute detail that passed me by for far too long.
Chimpzy said:
Strider 2014, although I actually won it in a giveaway from a fellow user[footnote]Sorry, don't remember your name, but if you're reading this: big thanks![/footnote]

I like it so far. Decent metroidvania with pretty good action. I especially like that your basic attack slashes as fast as you can press the button. Very satisfying to hammer away and see you dude turn in to a whirlwind of slashy death.
Am almost certain that was a last purchase. About the only game that legitimately made me say "whazaaaahh hyyahh!" out loud during a leap into grouped enemies, while mashing all buttons furiously.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
putowtin said:
Sleeping Dogs ?4.29 with all DLC! Sweet
Having great fun walking round dressed as Kato shoving peoples heads into air-conditioning units!
I've got that both for PC and Xbox One. Have you been playing much for that ability or using mods? Feel free to message me with any mods link (don't recall if it is OK to post them).
Casual Shinji said:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It was (a quality looking) Zelda, and I figured I might as well give my Wii-U one final heartbeat. It's really fucking good and deserving of most of the praise it's getting. I don't think I've ever played an (open-world) game that had me exploring just for the sake of exploration. Not to get to the next objective, or in the hopes of finding a collectable or bit of loot, but simple to see what's on the other side.
I may do that eventually. I'm interested in the switch but the thing isn't available and I do have the Wii U. Might as well get more use out of it. Also, hear that Wii U has slightly FASTER loadtimes! (Guy beat Zelda in an hour on Wii U).

Chris Mosher said:
I actually finally upgraded to a Ps4 Friday. I picked up the uncharted 4 bundle. The was a three for the price of two so I got Uncharted collection, Bloodborne and Divinity Original Sin and new copies of Doom and Fallout 4.
Congrats: it is a great system and those are great games for it. Though, I am not a good gamer, much as I like gaming and can't beat the first dang thing in Bloodborne!

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I picked up Tomb Raider, Vagrant Story and Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko, all PS1 classics on PS3. The whole lot are in the current PSN sale so all together they cost me like, 6 quid? Dirt cheap for a bunch of old games. Tomb Raider I remember having when I was very young - in fact it was one of the first games I owned for my PS1 alongside Rayman and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - but I never got too far in it. Gex 3 I got for when I want an old 3D platformer to play and Vagrant Story I bought because I've heard some interesting things about it and I'm always looking for interesting RPGs to try out.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I kept hearing good things from people I usually trust and decided to get it for the Wii U. Pretty good indeed, but after Final Fantasy XV, I feel like I'm going to end up with open-world burnout before trying Horizon: Zero Dawn.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The last game I bought was the PC re-release of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and it is still the most hype game ever to exist, i'm so glad it wasn't just my nostalgia talking. I went back to BlazBlue and I thought my game was having FPS drops because it seemed so slow in comparison.

Though it is just a shameless copy paste of the 360 version to PC which is pretty awful by today's standards but is was a game from 2011 and the game still runs flawlessly. There's just no mic controls so you have to listen to people ***** at you 24/7. Actually now i've got used to it, it's nice to sample the salt directly.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
NieR: Automata.

Was hype up by it, loved the playable Demo. But that I own the full game I suddenly went back to Borderlands 2.
Dunno why, don't hate it, and the demo was certainely representative of the full game, but it did not grab my attention as wel.

I'll be saving for a 3DS before i get Horizon: Zero Dawn, in case it'll be a similar situation.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Torment: Tides of Numenera, because I like this cRPG renaissance thing going on, even if they are a bit too oldschool for oldschoolness sake.

I love it so far, but it can be a bit overwhelming. I only have time for sporadic gaming sessions and it requires quite the investment to know what is going on. The scifi setting reminds me of Myst a lot, so it got me sold on that alone.

odolwa

Feb 15, 2011
Exit for PSP. It cost a fiver, it's not a sequel, it's not a remake, it's an entirely original experience. Enjoying it thoroughly!