Your opinion of metal...

Miri_Chan

Jan 15, 2010
I love APC, Dir En Grey, Slipknot, System of a down and more but I also love other types of music except Rap, Hip hop and R N B, they're just so derogatory towards women and they're about drugs and sex

I really like From Autumn to Ashes it's rather nice and soothing <3 <3

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
AvsJoe said:
Also, I need a new favourite band. I grow tired of Children of Bodom and Nightwish et al and I am looking for suggestions. Does anyone have any? I'm desperate here; listening to my MP3 player is almost a chore these days.
Huzzah, I love it when people ask me to do that!
Agathodaimon
Alestorm
Amberian Dawn
Angra
Angtoria
At Vance
Apocalyptica
Artrosis
Ava Inferi
Avantasia
Axenstar
Ayreon
Battlelore
Beautiful Sin
Beyond Twilight
Blind Guardian
Celesty
Coronatus
Dark Moor
Darkwell
Delain
Demons & Wizards
DragonForce
Dream Evil
Dreamland
Edenbridge
Edguy
Elis
Ensiferum
Epica
Excalion
Eyes Of Eden
Falconer
Falkenbach
Fatal Force
Gamma Ray
H.I.M.
Hammerfall
Heavenly
Hydrogyn
In Tenebris
Kamelot
Karelia
Katra
Korpiklaani
Kotipelto
Krypteria
Lacrimas Profundere
Lacuna Coil
La-Ventura
Leaves' Eyes
Luca Turilli
Luca Turilli's Dreamquest
Lunatica
Manticora
Maroon
Masterplan
Mercenary
Mob Rules
Mortal Love
Nocturnal Rites
Nuclear Blast Allstars [small](not a band, but a project featuring vocalists from a bunch of Nuclear Blast's power metal acts)[/small]
Octavia Sperati
Operatika
Pagan's Mind
Pain
Paradise Lost
Passionworks
Primal Fear
Rhapsody/ Rhapsody Of Fire [small](they changed their name to the latter relatively recently, so a lot of their older albums are under the name Rhapsody)[/small]
Royal Hunt
Russell Allen & Jorn Lande [small](may be listed as just Allen/Lande)[/small]
Satyrian
Scar Symmetry
Serenity
Silent Force
Silentium
Sirenia
Sonata Arctica
Steel Attack
Stratovarius
Suidakra
Suspyre
Symphony X
Tarja
Tarot
Theatre Of Tragedy
The Gathering
Therion
Thunderstone
Todesbonden
Tristania
Turisas
Twilightning
Unsun
Urn
Virgin Black
Within Temptation
Xandria
You've doubtless heard of some of those before, but I will be flabbergasted if you knew about all of them. Happy (potential) listening!
Geez, now *THAT'S* a list!

...wait, do you have this list saved on your computer or something? It seems like this is the work of CTRL-C + CTRL-V rather than you actually remembering and typing out each band.

BTW it's good to see someone recommending Within Temptation around here. They may not be ridiculously popular but their music rocks.

Kyouran

Jan 10, 2009
I'm a fan of gold, myself, and iron, but... oh. Wrong thread. Sorry!

As someone else said, it has its gems.

Aug 25, 2009
I ignored metal until I had to teach a metal fan the guitar. While listening to the endless drudge of speed and thrash metal I eventually realised that some of it was very good. Still not my sort of music, but technically accomplished, lyrically ingenious, and melodically inspired.

It's like most genres of anything, 90% bullcrap, 10% genius. It's still not my sort of music, but if the right song comes on, I will still listen and think 'Wow, that's clever.'

MetalMachine

Dec 23, 2009
Metal is the only genre that can be beautiful, epic, heavy and brutal all at the same time. Whether you're going through a tough time or are looking to feel like you could slay a fucking 79 headed spider dragon and his legion of porpoise demons, metal is always there for you. Admitedly, it is an acquired taste, although if you were looking to get into it I would suggest starting with some power metal (IMO the most accessible of the genre's) and then maybe go into melodic death metal (which is basically power metal with harsher vocals)or, if you don't want to even touch the harsh vocals then you can always look into progressive metal, glam metal, NWOBHM, or hell if your that desperate look into some nu-metal (I personally can't stand the stuff but everyone has their own taste)

musthaphawang

Jan 16, 2010
im asumeing your from america (if wrongly sorry) bands that are slightly obscure that are intresting are gojira(heavy as hell) evile(trashy as hell) down(not obscure i no but where for me till recently)jason becker(solo guitarist only if your intrested) skindred (funky metal thats not shit) suidakra(if you like bodon you might like these guys) those are just off the top of my head and you might of heard of them if you want more stuff dat u prob wouldnt of heard message me ive lots more

ShrooM_DoughKiD

Jan 14, 2010
IMO, it all depends on what you call metal, wether it be; Black, Doom, Heavy, Hardcore, Scene, Dark, Love or any of the other eleventy-billion other sub genres. You like whatever you like, there is no inbetween, there is no better or worse, it all depends on personal taste. Also, Nu-"Metal" if it can so be called, is really not metal however it is coming back into the mainstream, Thanks to bands like Slipknot and Disturbed who have sold out and catered to everyones tastes to become Mainstream, that, in my opinion, is really not metal, its more heavy rock.

Ranis

Dec 15, 2008
musthaphawang said:
jason becker(solo guitarist only if your intrested)
that's funny I was just finishing listening through Cacophony's second album while I read that

but OT I love all sorts of metal but my favorites are prog, glam and thrash.

musthaphawang

Jan 16, 2010
Ranis said:
musthaphawang said:
jason becker(solo guitarist only if your intrested)
that's funny I was just finishing listening through Cacophony's second album while I read that

lol i luv speed metal symphoney and the thought of marty and jason playing together is my wet dream but i much perfer his actual solo album ever hear it ? its called perpetual burn its how allllll guitarists should make theyre solo albums (michal angelo batio cough yngwie cough) impressive technically while still sounding bach reincarnate (listen to song called altitudes)

and not to just be sucking up but trash , prog and glam are my favourites too haha

and dude not