Your opinion or thought on Love?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Has this been posted yet? I'm not sure.

On topic now, there are various different types of love, but I assume this thread is about romantic love.
I do believe in love. But I recognize that it is part of brain chemistry and biochemicals in our brains that create feelings which we recognize and call "love". I may have felt it before, i'm still searching for it again myself. I've only ever been in one relationship myself, which due to the subsequent problems that occurred and the break-up, I learnt a lot of things about myself, what I want personally in life and what I want in a partner.

While I do hold the belief that life is ultimately pointless, I am hoping that I can find love again... simply because I think it's worthwhile for myself personally to aim for it since I desire it and the things that are associated with and come with it.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Do I believe in love?

There was a boy, no older than most when they first find interest in the opposite sex.

He spent most of his days by himself. Part of it was by choice. Part of it wasn't.

There was a girl, a bit younger than the boy.

She was a troubled spirit, free and yet simultaneously chained down, unable to overcome the hardships she faced by herself.

The two met one day.

No words were exchanged, at first. Just a locking of their eyes, and two small, shy smiles.

The pair found common ground, and began spending their time together, more and more each day as time passed.

As the days turned to months, it seemed like they were inseparable. Nothing would come between them, as long as they had each other.

And then the day came.

The girl's family moved away. She had to go with them.

It hit the boy like a sidewinder, revealed out of the blue. He couldn't understand it. Why did she need to leave?

The days turned bleak, after that. Darkness seemed a permanent fixture in the boy's mind, and his schoolmates noted that he seemed increasingly irritable and distracted.

He needed an outlet. Something to pour his heart and soul into now. He settled on a combination of music and literature, hoping it would fill the void left behind by her absence.

It did, for a time.

As the months passed, he could feel her sliding further into the back of his mind.

But fate was not so kind.

Two summers after she had left, the girl reappeared in the boy's life.

He was confused, understandably. When asked about her return, the girl replied that she wanted to see him again. The boy... could scarcely believe his ears. In a single instant, all of his thoughts, feelings, memories of her, came crashing back into his head. As much as he wanted to tell her that he didn't feel the same way... he couldn't formulate the words.

And so they spent the summer together, knowing that it would end in heartbreak and disappointment when the girl needed to leave again at the end of the summer. Despite that, the boy would recall that summer as being the best few months of his high school years.

As his final year of high school began, the boy found solace in the fond memories he would always have of his time with the girl. He was amicable, jovial even, a rock for his friends in their times of need. But he always knew, somewhere deep in his mind, that he would never forget the girl.

Months passed. The boy's family began falling apart. He graduated, but was left aimless by the situation an ailing father and an absent mother presented him with. He wanted a direction. He needed something, or someone, to guide him.

And so he went to the girl.

She had never forgotten him. She had always been there for him.

I'm not sure whether that answers your question or not, to be honest. But I hope it does.
That... gave me chills. Thank-you for that :)
I can take some haphazard guesses (two admittedly), but how does the story fit into your life?
Realitycrash said:
I believe in love. Love is a biochemical state of mind which causes certain physical, social and mental responses that we generally associate with affection of different forms.
I believe in it because I can A: Apply the scientific-method to have it tested. I can cut people open and study their neurological patterns and biochemical interchange (well not me per se, but others with the technical know-how), B: Study the social interactions between humans that are in love, and C; I have experienced it myself.
Also this, I agree with this.
I hate it when people claim I have no idea of/belief in a lot of more conceptual things like love because of a lack of religion, so therefore I like this answer a lot ^.^

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Brandon237 said:
shrekfan246 said:
Do I believe in love?

There was a boy, no older than most when they first find interest in the opposite sex.

He spent most of his days by himself. Part of it was by choice. Part of it wasn't.

She was a troubled spirit, free and yet simultaneously chained down, unable to overcome the hardships she faced by herself.

The two met one day.

No words were exchanged, at first. Just a locking of their eyes, and two small, shy smiles.

The pair found common ground, and began spending their time together, more and more each day as time passed.

As the days turned to months, it seemed like they were inseparable. Nothing would come between them, as long as they had each other.

And then the day came.

It hit the boy like a sidewinder, revealed out of the blue. He couldn't understand it. Why did she need to leave?

The days turned bleak, after that. Darkness seemed a permanent fixture in the boy's mind, and his schoolmates noted that he seemed increasingly irritable and distracted.

He needed an outlet. Something to pour his heart and soul into now. He settled on a combination of music and literature, hoping it would fill the void left behind by her absence.

It did, for a time.

As the months passed, he could feel her sliding further into the back of his mind.

He was confused, understandably. When asked about her return, the girl replied that she wanted to see him again. The boy... could scarcely believe his ears. In a single instant, all of his thoughts, feelings, memories of her, came crashing back into his head. As much as he wanted to tell her that he didn't feel the same way... he couldn't formulate the words.

And so they spent the summer together, knowing that it would end in heartbreak and disappointment when the girl needed to leave again at the end of the summer. Despite that, the boy would recall that summer as being the best few months of his high school years.

As his final year of high school began, the boy found solace in the fond memories he would always have of his time with the girl. He was amicable, jovial even, a rock for his friends in their times of need. But he always knew, somewhere deep in his mind, that he would never forget the girl.

Months passed. The boy's family began falling apart. He graduated, but was left aimless by the situation an ailing father and an absent mother presented him with. He wanted a direction. He needed something, or someone, to guide him.

I'm not sure whether that answers your question or not, to be honest. But I hope it does.
I can take some haphazard guesses (two admittedly), but how does the story fit into your life?
It's an adapted (and abridged) story based around a girl that I met six and a half years ago, and our subsequent relationship together.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Love... is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
I believe and don't believe in love simultaneously. I know for a fact it's a real thing, science has proven it. I don't believe it's a good thing however, as I only ever see and experience pain from it.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Perhaps you should rephrase the OP to "Romantic love," it's pretty hard not to believe in love if you have family and friends. Though I also believe in romantic love. Kinda. Somedays. It's getting hard to actually, but the cynicism hasn't completely conquered my romantic heart yet.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
It's an adapted (and abridged) story based around a girl that I met six and a half years ago, and our subsequent relationship together.
Sounds not unlike my own (also massively abridged) story.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Love is just something that happens.
It's like a fart. If you have to force it, it's propably shit.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011

This is basically how I feel about it because its pretty much spot on.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I believe it's something made up to give people an excuse to do things, but that's probably just be being cynical.

Kirke

Apr 3, 2011
Do I believe in Love? I believe he's vicious, at times, and lovely (sometimes.) And he is my little brother. So yes, I believe in Love. I love Love, as a matter of fact.

Stordarth

Oct 16, 2012
I don't believe in the concept of True Love, love at first sight, or any of this happily ever after stuff. If there was 'someone for everyone' a) why are so many people alone and b) ever noticed that people who claim to have 'found their soulmate' are almost always geographically close to and just happen to find one another? It's such a common thing, it just seems a little too convenient to me.

What I do believe in is evolution, and with evolution, comes instincts. I therefore believe in attraction. I believe that people place value on another person because of these feelings of attraction, and the fear of losing that person if the attraction fades is a very real emotion. The mutual sharing of oneself is a form of symbiosis; two people choosing to cohabit/copulate for the mutual benefit of mood and contentment the other provides. The word 'Love' is overused, and misused, but I believe that the aforementioned instincts can qualify as love, since love is a stong and powerful liking of something, and romantic love is very much a strong liking of the other person because of how they treat us, how they make us feel, and the things they let us do with/to them. Love is an instinctive attraction that we wish to nurture and maintain for instinctively selfish reasons.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I believe in love, but not the kind where it is portrayed as being deeply infatuated with the partner for all of eternity without burning out. It's just a desire/attraction(non-sexual) to other people i.e., you love your friends, your parents, your family and so on. When you fall romantically in love with someone, I find that it is really just infatuation, and when that fades, whatever kind of relationship you have built up with them to that point determines how things go from there. I think that diametrically opposed people can become infatuated with each other, be lovey-dovey for a year or so, and then when they are no longer infatuated, realize that they don't really like each other as much as they thought they did, and break up. I also think that two like-minded people (have similar interests or though processes/compliment each other well) can become infatuated with each other, and when they are no longer infatuated with each other, realize that things still work regardless of infatuation and from there they may decide to continue to be together since they still appreciate each other's company.

That's my opinion on the matter anyways.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I believe in it despite I have not experience it yet (love as in having a girlfriend) eventhought my mates think I'm btter off that way (needless to say they had experience the bad side of it).

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Brandon237 said:
shrekfan246 said:
Do I believe in love?

The two met one day.

And then the day came.

It did, for a time.

Aah, well that was very well told and as said, it gave me chills, so well done :D Sounds like a very happy story indeed :)

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I don't believe in love. I think it's one of those idealistic imaginary concepts like magic or zombies: we all know what it is, and we all spend hours and hours talking about it, but it's not something we can actually achieve. The popular conception of love is an unreachable utopia.

John Nordstrom

Oct 3, 2011
Love?

IT'S A WAAAAAAY OF FEEEELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN'

But yeah, the above song pretty much sums it up. It can be great and all, but most of the time these days, it's a means of control.

blank0000

Oct 3, 2007
Love 2D is an interesting engine. I admire it's existence, however LUA's most useful applications seem a little more broad.