Your opinion or thought on Love?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Vault101 said:
manic_depressive13 said:
So to me asking "Do you believe in love" is like asking "Do you believe in drug addiction".
so the moral of the story is...can't get a partner? DO AMPHETAMINES!
You could look at it that way. Alternatively you could ask yourself if you really want to get addicted (whether to amphetamines or to another person) and find yourself making the stupid decisions a drug-addled brain is prone to making.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Rose and Thorn said:
Do you believe in love?

Whether or not you can describe it, I am curious to know what everyone who answers opinion or thought on love is. What is love to you? What ISN'T love to you?

Get technical, stay simple. Be detailed, or answer vaguely. Give me your honest feelings on this one word, and what it means to you.
Have you ever heard the myth of poros and penia? Well they are the personification of the ideas of Resource and Poverty. Their child was Eros (Love). He has traits of both of them. Love is full of "plenty" but always leaves you with a desire for more. A desire to be with the person/thing you love, which fills you with joy/happiness, even when you're with Them/it. As if your full and empty at the same time.

Thats what love feels like. Does that feeling exist? Yes! Is it important or meaningful *shrugs*

I'd say yes, but I'd be speculating XD

What love isn't, is friendship with sex. Its different. I don't why or how, but it is.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
You could look at it that way. Alternatively you could ask yourself if you really want to get addicted (whether to amphetamines or to another person) and find yourself making the stupid decisions a drug-addled brain is prone to making.
you dont need to take amphetamines out to dinner...

Ashhearth

May 26, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Do I believe in love?

There was a boy, no older than most when they first find interest in the opposite sex.

He spent most of his days by himself. Part of it was by choice. Part of it wasn't.

There was a girl, a bit younger than the boy.

She was a troubled spirit, free and yet simultaneously chained down, unable to overcome the hardships she faced by herself.

The two met one day.

No words were exchanged, at first. Just a locking of their eyes, and two small, shy smiles.

The pair found common ground, and began spending their time together, more and more each day as time passed.

As the days turned to months, it seemed like they were inseparable. Nothing would come between them, as long as they had each other.

And then the day came.

The girl's family moved away. She had to go with them.

It hit the boy like a sidewinder, revealed out of the blue. He couldn't understand it. Why did she need to leave?

The days turned bleak, after that. Darkness seemed a permanent fixture in the boy's mind, and his schoolmates noted that he seemed increasingly irritable and distracted.

He needed an outlet. Something to pour his heart and soul into now. He settled on a combination of music and literature, hoping it would fill the void left behind by her absence.

It did, for a time.

As the months passed, he could feel her sliding further into the back of his mind.

But fate was not so kind.

Two summers after she had left, the girl reappeared in the boy's life.

He was confused, understandably. When asked about her return, the girl replied that she wanted to see him again. The boy... could scarcely believe his ears. In a single instant, all of his thoughts, feelings, memories of her, came crashing back into his head. As much as he wanted to tell her that he didn't feel the same way... he couldn't formulate the words.

And so they spent the summer together, knowing that it would end in heartbreak and disappointment when the girl needed to leave again at the end of the summer. Despite that, the boy would recall that summer as being the best few months of his high school years.

As his final year of high school began, the boy found solace in the fond memories he would always have of his time with the girl. He was amicable, jovial even, a rock for his friends in their times of need. But he always knew, somewhere deep in his mind, that he would never forget the girl.

Months passed. The boy's family began falling apart. He graduated, but was left aimless by the situation an ailing father and an absent mother presented him with. He wanted a direction. He needed something, or someone, to guide him.

And so he went to the girl.

She had never forgotten him. She had always been there for him.

I'm not sure whether that answers your question or not, to be honest. But I hope it does.
Thank you for this I'm in a long distance relationship and am leaving tomorrow this really cheered me up.

OT: Love to me is complete trust in someone. They can understand you to the core every facial expression or change of voice can be noted. It's not something that is just attained its something that you have to fight for. It's never going to come from where you expect it but it will always be worth it. Maybe I'm just an optimist and maybe I'm just telling myself this to keep my own sanity but its what I believe and what I think is worth fighting for despite having to deal with plenty of crap from others.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I believe in it, but have yet to experience it myself in a romantic way. From my experience everyone has a different definition for love (ex: support; dependance; yearning). My definition would probably be along the lines of someone you can take through life and enjoy it, like along a long road, even if that image is vague.

The only definition of love I'd dismiss is the old story of "love at first sight." It's just lust, unless you exhibit psychic powers and already know about them.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Vault101 said:
we shouldn't be doing that...its the 21st century XD
Actually I always pay for my boyfriend since the poor thing's broke. That's progressiveness! It would probably be cheaper for me to take up amphetamines but hey, here's the terrible decision making I was talking about :p

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I'll admit I'm the last person on earth who should be talking on the subject, but from what I can tell there's physical attraction and then there's friendship and 'love' is what happens when we blur the 2 together in our heads.

For more information go watch any of the five hundred trillion crappy movies that have been made about it.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I partially believe that I live in a Matrix world in which anyone but me can experience true love. I may know the keys, but the door runs away from me.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
To me, love is the closest thing to magic we have in this world. Everyone is trying to to find it, use it, sell it etc but to be honest I think its best to just sit back and allow yourself to stumble upon it, I'm still eagerly awaiting the day where I stumble upon it.

Toy Master Typhus

Oct 20, 2011
Love is dead in this day in age with higher expectations of ones partner and lower tolerance to settle for less. It has become nothing more then a financial or social-political bonus. Perhaps I am just jaded from personnel experience but everyone (myself included) goes into relationships assuming their partner is exactly the way they wan them then the little things start poking at your smile; and before you know it your happier to go to work then be at home.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I think love is the creator and destroyer of worlds. Beauty and horror entwined in a terrible glory that few find in its truest form.

A power beyond full comprehension, a life within life.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Romantic love certainly makes for a pretty fantasy. Never seen it actually happen... just a lot of projecting and unrealistic expectations. Family and friends, though... attachment to others with or without sex (which is inconsequential to such matters)... that sort of love I do know and trust.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
WHAT IS LOVE?! BABY DON'T HURT ME, DON'T HURT ME, NO MORE!

Ahem, sorry 'bout that...

Uh, I dunno... Wait, I need this: [sappy answer] Really, I never felt love and, sadly enough, I don't know if I ever will. It's not that I'm a hateful bastard who doesn't want anything to do with the emotion. On the contrary, it's something I really want, but I feel sometimes like I'm unable to experience it even though a person feels it towards me :_( [/sappy answer]

Kenkurogue

Mar 19, 2012
That is a tricky question since the word love is used to mean different things and people often get the concepts confused together. Now that I got that out of the way, yes I believe in love. Love=understanding. Love is based on your desire to be with someone, how much of your world overlaps with theirs, and good communication. Love is not static thing, but a variable quantity. This is why people "fall in love" and "fall out of love" This is also why I do not believe in love at first sight which is usually just hormones or infatuation. ( although the other person could remind you of a love lost in which case the feeling of love may be real just misplaced )
if you want love to grow, talk with your partner. Love is two people connecting ( I mean spirituality but hey, sex is communication on a physical level so that's good to. Just don't forget to ask how their day was afterward :) on a deeper level. Its sad that we live in the information age where we can send and receive messages to the other side of the planet, but nobody wants to sit down and talk. There could be so much more love in the world.

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
"Love is a device invented by bank managers to make us overdrawn." Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?" George Carlin

"My wife and I were happy for 20 years--then we met." Rodney Dangerfield

"Love is a friend, a fire, a heaven, a hell, where pleasure, pain and sad repentance dwell" Richard Barnfield

"Bigamy is having one wife too many, Monogamy is the same."

"Men marry because they are tired; women, because they are curious; both are disappointed."

"The one charm about marriage is that it makes a life of deception absolutely necessary for both parties."

- Oscar Wilde

"What is needed is a realization that power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." Martin Luther King Jr.

I could go on all day with these.

To me, its an interesting neural and chemical reaction with unusual social and psychological effects. How it feels though, you should ask someone else.