Your Opinions on Windows 7

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Mr Montmorency said:
I haven't found a good enough reason to upgrade from XP other than "It looks nice". I'm concerned that Vista and higher can't run some games for shit, and XP can do that just fine with a RAM and Processor upgrade at worst, and a driver download at best. If you have the newer ones, you're usually fucked because they simply stop using some types of rendering that are used in older games, or discontinue support for certain games on the operating system.

It's just simply worse and a waste of money when XP is perfectly functional as it is.
Whilst I agree with your points, especially about not being able to play a lot of older games on Vista/7, I also love 7. It functions perfectly well with less issues than I've encountered on any other OS, and while I am a little frustrated that I can't play old games, that's easy to get around by having an old heap of shit computer I've kept just to run XP on.

Korten12 said:
7 can run every XP game, runs faster.
Compatibility issues man. There are some older games that Vista and 7 just do not like and nothing you do can get them to run. And then there are completely bizarre cases where games will work on one person's Windows 7 machine, but not on another's. Case in point - Command & Conquer Generals. I can run it just fine on my computer, whereas it crashes when my mate tries to play it on his. We both have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, but nothing we've tried will get it to work on his computer.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Windows 7 is just plain awesome as far as I'm concerned. I can see why businesses wouldn't want to upgrade, but I'm not a business. I'm just one guy who went from XP to 7 and hasn't looked back since.

Lyx said:
- on the downside, it is bigger, slower,
Okay I have to strongly disagree with the slower bit. Going back to XP from 7 is a nightmare of "For crying out loud is this thing ever going to finish booting?! And why is this program taking so long to start now that booting is complete? AAAGH!"

Faladorian said:
Vista re-packaged with a few tweaks. Naturally it's a piece of shit, what with it being a product of Microsoft. The thing actually blocks itself... it said "Are you sure you want to allow Windows Security Check to have access to your computer's data?" which was a Windows Security Check window anyway.. what a retarded system
So are you a Mac Fanboy or a Linux Fanboy?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Mr Montmorency said:
I haven't found a good enough reason to upgrade from XP other than "It looks nice". I'm concerned that Vista and higher can't run some games for shit, and XP can do that just fine with a RAM and Processor upgrade at worst, and a driver download at best. If you have the newer ones, you're usually fucked because they simply stop using some types of rendering that are used in older games, or discontinue support for certain games on the operating system.

It's just simply worse and a waste of money when XP is perfectly functional as it is.
Depends on how far back you want to go with games... I can run Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2, Diablo 2, Starcraft and many older games on Windows 7. Some of the 16-bit apps do not work tho, and Win95/98 era games are touch and go. I have been able to get Heroes of Might and Magic to Work as well as the original Unreal Tournament, UT2004 and a few other games without any tweaking.
As far as newer games, I get better framerates in Fallout 3 than I do on my 360 in the highest video settings (in 1920x1080 resolution). I also run Crysis at full settings with rarely any lag. My memory is usually at 30% idle and about 65-75% running apps/games (depending on the game) and I'm only using 4gb of RAM.
XP is functional yes and if you like it kudos, but IMO its not viable for modern era programming/gaming.
Not trying to convince you just giving you something to think about.

More OT: I have no issues with Windows 7 and have been urging my customers to upgrade to it. And most of them already have and have reported that they love it once they got used to the UI (most of them were upgrading from XP). Some have even reported that hardware that previously didn't work or was buggy works perfectly. Others have reported that they need to upgrade some hardware (understandable since some of their computers are over 6-8 years old).
So in summary its probably the best release out of the box Windows O/S since 98 Second Edition.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
I haven't switched, because I've gotten so used to XP. I tried Windows 7 on a different computer but it wasn't right, it had a sense of familiarity but I had no clue what I did.
better learn quickly.

technology is still moving at a relatively fast pace, with that the GUI is also going to change to help "improve" the usage for everyday users.

also not being able to adapt to newer technology/software/hardware is not a good feat to have at this day and age, especially if you are looking/doing a technical computer related profession.

On Topic:
I suppose I loved XP once I got Vista due to amount of crashes (damn you Explorer.exe!) however I'm barely having any issues with Win7 other than the fact they had to put the "show desktop" on the other side of the task bar.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm using 7 on both my laptop and my desktop. XP was nice, but 7 is such a giant leap forward that it's really time to leave the venerable old dog behind.

aschere van she

Sep 26, 2010
It's pretty snazzy.

Andddd..

Using XP now is the rough equivalent (time wise) of using DOS while xp was out. So yeah 7 is a lot better, mostly cuz it was actually designed in this decade.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Overall it's nice, but there are some REALLY FUCKING bad design choices for the sake of customization. For instance, on XP, I would made My Computer a taskbar at the top of my screen. Win7 prohibits taskbars other than the main one. Also, I'd like to have some folder shortcuts, but any time I place those shortcuts on the start bar, it only opens Libraries. I DON'T WANT FUCKING LIBRARIES! I PUT MY SHIT IN FOLDERS LIKE ANY ORGANIZED PERSON DOES!!

Also, they renamed a bunch of functions in the Control Panel, so Add/Remove Programs is no longer at the top. If I want to view my network connections, I have to page through several windows instead of just placing a shortcut on the side of my Start Menu. Every time I use the Open dialogue, it defaults Libraries and I can't use the scroll wheel to shift down to where I want to go until I click something on the side pane which opens it up. Pain Pain PAIN one after another.

But yeah, overall I like it and wouldn't consider going back to XP.

Apr 29, 2010
SimuLord said:
I'm using 7 on both my laptop and my desktop. XP was nice, but 7 is such a giant leap forward that it's really time to leave the venerable old dog behind.
Does this mean we have to put Ol' Yeller down, Pa?

OT: The few times I've used it makes me want get a new computer.

TheOrangeOne

Jul 11, 2010
My only issue with 7 is that it made the built in blu-ray player on my laptop (which wasn't even a year old at the time) no longer work. It still plays DVDs, but not blu-ray. I don't care what the commercials say, that wasn't MY idea :p

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
superbatranger said:
SimuLord said:
Does this mean we have to put Ol' Yeller down, Pa?

OT: The few times I've used it makes me want get a new computer.
Believe it or not, I didn't think of that until about 5 milliseconds after I hit "post". :p

(and just for what it's worth, Ol' Yeller getting put down is one of the few places where it's perfectly acceptable for a man to cry.)

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I've not tried it. Stuck with Vista because I don't feel like going through the hassle of switching right now. I'll do that when I get an all-new computer. :eek:

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
bahumat42 said:
dude right click any part of task bar and u get that option
sadly, it never comes to me unconsciously. I always tend to look for the button :(

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I used Vista for a while when it was new, but I hated it, and switched back to XP after about 2 weeks. But I've been using Windows 7 since it came out, and I havent even missed XP a tiny bit.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
It works, it looks good, and it doesn't minimise applications to tell me to install an update every 5 fucking minutes!

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
I've basically been using Win7 since it was available (I got the RTM version via our university), and so far I only noticed positive changes:

Libraries are great for accessing multiple locations of similar content. I have all my digicam pictures in one folder. There's another folder somewhere completely different with a collection of pictures of my girlfriend and me. So I just add it to the library and they appear to be in the same folder.

Hard disk image backups are great, not only for backup reasons, but also to migrate a working Windows installation to another harddisk. I installed it on a really old one, and when I bought a new disk, I made a system image, put it on the new disk and my system didn't notably change.

Non-admin user accounts are now actually useful compared to XP. Whenever I need admin access for anything, I just enter my admin account password, and that particular process gets admin permissions, nothing else. Great way to prevent accidental system setting changes.

Defrag now works almost unnoticeably in the background of a running system if you've scheduled it. I don't use the windows defragger right now, but as long as I used it, it was great.

VHD files, hard disk images created by Virtual PC, windows backup or the storage manager, can be mounted like regular hard disks, in normal or read-only mode. Not an everyday feature, but not bad either. Apparently it's also possible to install windows on one of these virtual disks and have a self-repairing system.

Internet Explorer now is an extremely secure and comfortable browser. While it's not exactly a Win7 component, it can use a special secure mode (much like a sandbox) when running in Win7, making it actually safer than most other browsers who don't use this OS feature.

Window management is great. I got so used to Aero snap and stacked windows with previews that I can barely adjust back to XP now. Now it's even more better than Mac OS in this regard.

Some hard- and software I couldn't get working after I switched from Me to XP (a USB IR port for example) are now working just fine again. I had a lot less compatibility problems with Win7 than I had with XP. Actually, I had none so far.

Pinning programs to the task bar is great. Although most Mac users just see this as a lazy copy of the mac dock, it's much better executed in Win7, with jumplists and full, seamless integration into the window manager (the taskbars original function).

System restore seems to work a lot better now. Old versions of any files and folders can be accessed any time you want through a convenient interface. Saved me from the consequences of quite a few accidential overwrites.

Well, there a a lot of nice changes, but also a few disadvantages. The only one coming to my mind right now is the search function, which feels a bit restricted compared to XP.