Your Opinions on Windows 7

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Faladorian said:
Vista re-packaged with a few tweaks. Naturally it's a piece of shit, what with it being a product of Microsoft. The thing actually blocks itself... it said "Are you sure you want to allow Windows Security Check to have access to your computer's data?" which was a Windows Security Check window anyway.. what a retarded system
Lies and shenanigans. You clearly haven't even used it.

OT: It's great. It has better compatibility then XP, so I'm not going back.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Mr Montmorency said:
I haven't found a good enough reason to upgrade from XP other than "It looks nice". I'm concerned that Vista and higher can't run some games for shit, and XP can do that just fine with a RAM and Processor upgrade at worst, and a driver download at best. If you have the newer ones, you're usually fucked because they simply stop using some types of rendering that are used in older games, or discontinue support for certain games on the operating system.

It's just simply worse and a waste of money when XP is perfectly functional as it is.
You can run games in compatibility mode you know. I have Windows 7 and I can run Halo PC just fine. I dunno about you but I would consider that game pretty old.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
I like it enough. I've never noticed anything wrong with any operating system that I've had, but I've only had 3: Windows 98, XP, and 7.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop, came preinstalled, and I'm really liking it. Every so often I'll stumble across a feature that makes me think "huh, cool". Don't think I'll ever bother upgrading my main PC (the one I'm on now, running Vista) 'cos I can't be bothered with the cost and effort, but I'd certainly recommend it to anyone less lazy than myself.

Mr Montmorency

Jun 29, 2010
halo3rulzer said:
Mr Montmorency said:
I haven't found a good enough reason to upgrade from XP other than "It looks nice". I'm concerned that Vista and higher can't run some games for shit, and XP can do that just fine with a RAM and Processor upgrade at worst, and a driver download at best. If you have the newer ones, you're usually fucked because they simply stop using some types of rendering that are used in older games, or discontinue support for certain games on the operating system.

It's just simply worse and a waste of money when XP is perfectly functional as it is.
You can run games in compatibility mode you know. I have Windows 7 and I can run Halo PC just fine. I dunno about you but I would consider that game pretty old.
Oh, totally, compatibility mode completely fixes driver incompatibilities and rendering incompatibilities. I never thought of that.

Fridge

Jun 25, 2009
I haven't tried it out myself, I'm still on Vista here (it was what was installed and I was lazy).
My brother uses it and seems to have had no issues, in fact he thinks its the best one yet. I may have to do an upgrade to it soon, but I'm going to wait a while longer and see if any cracks appear first.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Signa said:
Overall it's nice, but there are some REALLY FUCKING bad design choices for the sake of customization. For instance, on XP, I would made My Computer a taskbar at the top of my screen. Win7 prohibits taskbars other than the main one. Also, I'd like to have some folder shortcuts, but any time I place those shortcuts on the start bar, it only opens Libraries. I DON'T WANT FUCKING LIBRARIES! I PUT MY SHIT IN FOLDERS LIKE ANY ORGANIZED PERSON DOES!!

Also, they renamed a bunch of functions in the Control Panel, so Add/Remove Programs is no longer at the top. If I want to view my network connections, I have to page through several windows instead of just placing a shortcut on the side of my Start Menu. Every time I use the Open dialogue, it defaults Libraries and I can't use the scroll wheel to shift down to where I want to go until I click something on the side pane which opens it up. Pain Pain PAIN one after another.

But yeah, overall I like it and wouldn't consider going back to XP.
You can actually "remove" the libraries functionality. There is no easy way to just turn them off, but you can move them out of the way in the Open/Save dialogs and from within Explorer. Open Explorer, and in the left-hand pane where Libraries are, right click on each library and properties. There you can control what folders constitute the library, which one takes new files, and can also tick/untick a box to make it show or not. You can also Delete libraries by selecting them and right-clicking and pressing delete. I, for example, have set the four libraries to point to their equivalent My Pictures, My Documents, My Music and My Videos folders in C:\Users, only. In this way, they basically end up as clones of the normal method - My * folders with a fancy icon. Alternatively, you can use this to move the library elsewhere if desired. Infact, the My * folders don't even need to be in C:\Users as the things you see are links, with a hidden folder underneath. Right clicking the My * link lets you alter the location of the physical folder. You can even make new libraries, if you want.

I'm not saying Libraries are great; i think they're a waste of time. I, too, have Explorer in pinned on my start menu and it does annoy me that it defaults to Libraries and you can't change that, but honestly, it's not all that bad, and I can see how they COULD be useful, to other people.