Your Opinions on Windows 7

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
While I don't actually use it, from what I've seen on my friends computers it's pretty good (barring one incident when it installed without internet drivers).

Since this is an OS thread, though, I'm obliged to state my wish for greater linux support in gaming.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Upgraded from Vista 32 bit home version to Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate, works a hell of a lot better for gaming and everything else really. No driver issues, no blue screens, no random registry errors(something I actually did get in vista). In my opinion it works better than XP and looks nicer than Vista so it's the best edition of Windows yet.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Agreed. I'd be using Linux exclusively if there were support for all of the programs I use.
That could be quite problem. Windows contains a consistent programming interface for almost any task. There's DirectX for... well, just about anything any game could need actually, including Physics (soon, at least), and also a lot of different APIs for common tasks (a non-Microsoft defragmenter for example can just use the MS defrag API to move files around).

As far as I know, such a standardised interface does not yet exist in Linux, mainly because of its open-sourced nature.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
kalt_13 said:
Only recently upgratded and so far I like it. Had a few issues with my graphics card when i 1st tried upgrading, apparently it doesnt like some ATI cards (yes there will be alot of ppl that havnt had an issue)
What's your card, out of interest? Just got a Radeon HD 5770, and was thinking of upgrading to 7 to make use of DX11.

JoeCool385

May 10, 2010
As a friend of mine put it, Windows 7 is the Jesus. I've been using it on my new laptop for a week and it's awesome.

My personal ranking of Windows OSes goes: 7, Vista, 2000, XP, 98, 95, 3.11. (Never used ME or anything earlier than 3.)

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Being nice? Vista patch you have to pay full price for.

Being honest? Vista with a name change.

JoeCool385

May 10, 2010
bahumat42 said:
mad825 said:
however I'm barely having any issues with Win7 other than the fact they had to put the "show desktop" on the other side of the task bar.
dude right click any part of task bar and u get that option
Why bother right-clicking? Windows key+D

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Gimmicky. I don't have it on my laptop, but whenever I use my parents' I always find the features to be kinda useless.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
Woodsey said:
kalt_13 said:
Only recently upgratded and so far I like it. Had a few issues with my graphics card when i 1st tried upgrading, apparently it doesnt like some ATI cards (yes there will be alot of ppl that havnt had an issue)
What's your card, out of interest? Just got a Radeon HD 5770, and was thinking of upgrading to 7 to make use of DX11.
radeon hd 4870.

I hope you dont have the same probs as me (took about a week to find a solution) not sure if its been fixed by microsoft or not, or if it was just a bug with the profesional version.. In case ya do heres what happened and how to fix it.

It would get up to the piont of instalation where it wants to name the computer but instead of showing that it just shows a black screen.

To fix it just type in a name hit enter, hit enter a few more times.....can take a few mins. Eventially the system will load it self (still with a black screen). When you think its done reset the comp. start the system in safe mode. You should be able to see things this time. Once in go through the windows directory and delete the ATI folder and intall new ATI drivers. That should work.........well it did for me. g/l

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Faladorian said:
Vista re-packaged with a few tweaks. Naturally it's a piece of shit, what with it being a product of Microsoft. The thing actually blocks itself... it said "Are you sure you want to allow Windows Security Check to have access to your computer's data?" which was a Windows Security Check window anyway.. what a retarded system
It didn't block itself, Windows alerts you before anything alters the Kernel or the OS itself. Regardless of what it is that's actually making the changes it asks you anyway. Its actually very effective, and if you don't like it you can disable the UAC (User Account Control) Microsoft doesn't innovate well but they always manage to catch up and make someone else's innovation even better. They still do it better than anyone else, they just can't thing of it themselves. Judging something just because Microsoft made it generally doesn't make you come across as intelligent.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Lyx said:
- on the downside, it is bigger, slower,
Okay I have to strongly disagree with the slower bit. Going back to XP from 7 is a nightmare of "For crying out loud is this thing ever going to finish booting?! And why is this program taking so long to start now that booting is complete? AAAGH!"
My XP boots in 12-15secs timed from bios screen, no SSD. Slow boots in XP usually come from bloated/bad designed drivers. IIRC, vista/seven compensates a bit for such buggy drivers, by arranging the load-order to reduce the effects of such slow-loading drivers. If drivers are well choosen, XP doesn't boot slower than vista/seven, usually faster.

As for apps taking longer to start: Thats because all your favorite apps get loaded upon boot, which is a tradeoff between bootspeed and applaunch-speed - and it only works if you have enough RAM. To me, this feature doesn't matter: I usually put my PC into standby instead of shutdown, so usually, all my fav apps will be ramcached anyways (thus, resulting in the same effect as with vista/seven).

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Can't say i am really fond of it. Sure, it is a bit easier in use, but i don't like how they made it more rigid. Security is a bit better but that is all.
For instance if you want to cut/copy/paste files around your HD. I could customize XP so i had nice buttons on top of the windows for it, can't do that in 7.
Also selecting a bunch of files in a map is harder since a file will take up the entire white horizontal line after it.
O yes, I absolutly HATE how 7 tries to force you to use the 'My documents' folder for anything important to you. If windows craps out you will lose almost everything in case of reinstall!

It's good enough for daily use. But i liked XP more.

moogu

Oct 19, 2010
I quite like Vista and Win7 except for the defragger in both!They took off the GUI from XP and its supposed to run on a schedule 'automatically'. I think its highly inadequate for serious defrags - slow, skips many fragmented files and cant be set to run in the background.

Slash47

May 10, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
Gimmicky. I don't have it on my laptop, but whenever I use my parents' I always find the features to be kinda useless.
Agreed, but if you turn all that off I think it's a pleasure to work with.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Its GUI is a much prettier on the eyes and from my time with it its quite stable(7 64bit)

All in all much better than XP.

TheJwalkR

May 20, 2009
meh, I like it. Better than Vista which is better than XP ect.

Nothing too too exciting but whatever