Your "Perfect Song"

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Mine has to be this

The whole Queen II album was great but this song really nails it for me its Queen at their best musically and creatively.

stvncpr236

Jan 11, 2011
Hmm, Ill have to post a few, seeing as I have so many.

Before you ask, yes I am a dude. Hard to believe I know, with those songs.

Edit:
Wintermute said:
I'm terrible at choosing ONE favourite thing but I'll give it a go since I don't feel like posting my entire musical library.

Well, That is officially on the list, thank you.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Good pace, light but meaningful and clever lyrics, and uncharacteristically well played(take into account the lead singer is also lead and only guitar, and he's capable of a lot better).
"uncharacteristically well played"? Would that be to imply that the majority of their songs are not well played? Or are you referring to the genre as whole?... cuz that's fine... but if not, this face-melting solo has a pedantic semantic bone to pick with you!

(song starts at 0:39, face-melting solo starts at 3:30, WARNING: video contains A LOT of violence against animals)

OP: The song posted above is definitely among them, but also:

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Phuctifyno said:
snip for brevity
Uncharacteristic for punk, which is mostly simple musically. I'm well aware of Hannahs ability on guitar and you did certainly choose one of their best in Purina Hall of Fame. The skill they display on their instruments is one of the reasons I love Propagandhi.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Easy. Anesthetize by Porcupine Tree. It's not their best song, but it is a song I'm never not in the mood for.

Oh, and it's a hair under 18 minutes long. Grab a chair.
I was going to post that!

Porcupine tree have alot of amazing songs but Anesthetize is something very special. Being so complex and blendig different styles and still catchy.

dando300

Nov 20, 2009
Pachelbel's Canon, what can I say, I am a sucker for strings.
[youtube]hOA-2hl1Vbc[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA-2hl1Vbc

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
There's only one correct answer for this question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRPeldn0XZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lHpMOoJ78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QVKcjpjeM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEA0BLnpOtg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83zckRG7X5M

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I can't really separate my favourite songs from those i think are perfect.
There's nothing exactly close to a perfect melody...and is it something i respect for how much effort is put into the song, like all of Enya?
Or is it just that song i can listen to at any time like Sophie Ellis Bextor's Music Gets The Best Of Me?

It's not an easy question.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Phuctifyno said:
snip for brevity
Uncharacteristic for punk, which is mostly simple musically. I'm well aware of Hannahs ability on guitar and you did certainly choose one of their best in Purina Hall of Fame. The skill they display on their instruments is one of the reasons I love Propagandhi.
Yeah I was just kiddin' around; I knew whatcha meant. It just looked like a good excuse to post another one of their songs. And with no excuse this time, here's another:

Hannah's guitar skill is matched by his lyrical prowess, and that song, I think, showcases some of his best.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I get chills everytime I hear this. Truly artistic in a genre full of soulless money grabbers:

I've also been bumping this a lot lately. Cudder has a knack for being unique, yet catchy.

[atomi|c|adaver]

Oct 8, 2009
Oh, too many.
I'll keep it brief

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
<youtube=YlUKcNNmywk>

Without a doubt, my all time favorite song. Everything about it is perfect to me.

jamman

Dec 24, 2010
<youtube=aStg2V7zLeI>

this song gets me all emotional and I can't explain it, just really love it.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Way too many songs to name just one, so I'll settle for three.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Ah yes, I've always loved the guitar riffs in Muse's "Stockholm Syndrome", with "Hysteria" coming in a close second behind it. Disappointing how much they've squandered all of those guitar talents in their latest albums...

I don't listen to much Gojira, but Tool is the band that got me into progressive rock/metal. Lateralus is my favorite album by them, though I do think "Wings for Marie (Part 1)/10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)" are probably my favorite overall Tool songs. The emotional weight is a lot heavier than most of their other songs, even if the lyrical content isn't quite as deep as they normally get.
The last couple of Muse albums were disappointing yeah, but I don't actually think Matt's guitar work has gotten any worse. In fact, in terms of sheer technicality and composition he's only gotten better. The problem is that they've lost the slightly aggressive edge that they had back in Origin/Absolution days, which means there's nothing to beef up the falsetto vocals, so it ends up sounding like a Diva song or something. Stick the guitar and bas parts though a distortion pedal and you'd have great songs again. Shame.

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite Tool album out of Aenima/Lateralus/10,000 days, because they're all fantastic. I think my favourite song after Lateralus is probably Vicarious. And then Schism. Such goddamn cool bass in that song. But anyways, if you like progressive metal at all, giving Gojira a bit more of a go might be worthwhile. From Mars To Sirius in its entirety is fantastic, probably the best dive-in point for anyone who's not sure about them, but if you don't fancy listening to an entire album, just listening to Heaviest Matter of the Universe and Vacuity will probably have you hooked. It did for me.

Scars Unseen said:
Easy. Anesthetize by Porcupine Tree.
Fantastic song. Have you heard any of Steven Wilson's solo stuff from Raven at all?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I like techno that gets progressively louder & faster & can only truly be appreciated with the volume maxed out.

Or maybe something that combines two different genres of music together. Techno Opera anyone?

Either way, these songs are pure caffeine, like a simultaneously scalding & freezing cappuccino punch to the face.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I have a few...

Witchcraft by Pendulum
The Words Best Friend Become Redefined by Chiodos
Melody by Aviators
Life as We Know It by Alex S
Paper Sky by Baasik
Young Blood by the Naked and Famous

Heavily recommend these if you haven't heard them (which is most likely for some), but I'm writing this on a phone and can't be arsed to get links.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
someonehairy-ish said:
shrekfan246 said:
Ah yes, I've always loved the guitar riffs in Muse's "Stockholm Syndrome", with "Hysteria" coming in a close second behind it. Disappointing how much they've squandered all of those guitar talents in their latest albums...

I don't listen to much Gojira, but Tool is the band that got me into progressive rock/metal. Lateralus is my favorite album by them, though I do think "Wings for Marie (Part 1)/10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)" are probably my favorite overall Tool songs. The emotional weight is a lot heavier than most of their other songs, even if the lyrical content isn't quite as deep as they normally get.
The last couple of Muse albums were disappointing yeah, but I don't actually think Matt's guitar work has gotten any worse. In fact, in terms of sheer technicality and composition he's only gotten better. The problem is that they've lost the slightly aggressive edge that they had back in Origin/Absolution days, which means there's nothing to beef up the falsetto vocals, so it ends up sounding like a Diva song or something. Stick the guitar and bas parts though a distortion pedal and you'd have great songs again. Shame.
Well, that's a bit what I meant, really. As you say, it's not like they've gotten worse, they're just not as powerfully unique as they used to me. In my opinion, at least. They've still got a relatively unique sound, it's just bit of a let down after what Absolution proved they could do even within the view of the mainstream eye.

I'm not against bands changing their sound or anything (as should be evidenced by my citing of Blink-182 in the opening post), but I don't feel that the change Muse made was really for the better.

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite Tool album out of Aenima/Lateralus/10,000 days, because they're all fantastic. I think my favourite song after Lateralus is probably Vicarious. And then Schism. Such goddamn cool bass in that song. But anyways, if you like progressive metal at all, giving Gojira a bit more of a go might be worthwhile. From Mars To Sirius in its entirety is fantastic, probably the best dive-in point for anyone who's not sure about them, but if you don't fancy listening to an entire album, just listening to Heaviest Matter of the Universe and Vacuity will probably have you hooked. It did for me.
"Vicarious" is one of my top Tool songs as well, I used it for a project in my Sociology course during high school. And "Heaviest Matter of the Universe" is actually one of the Gojira songs I have heard before. :D I like them, they're just one of those bands that I haven't really given much thought.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012

There have been far too many pieces of music that have left me in awe over the years, but this encapsulates my taste quite nicely.

The Distant Worlds arrangement of Aerith's Theme from Final Fantasy VII is also well up there. Hail and Kill by Manowar is flawless in my eyes, too.