Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
emeraldrafael said:
Veldie said:
I always checked how many pokemon they had and then went and made sure I had same number it came from when I watched the anime as a child and they did that xD
Though weirdly Pikach never stayed down. Everytime ash went ot pick him up, he was back up. There's no reason he couldnt have went back in.

OT: It wasnt really a gym battle but an online battle. I was staring down a mewtwo with my Vaporeon, one on one, both EV trained. Vaporeon took three thunders, two crit, and looked ready to fall.

Then my wish kicked in, Wish. I had used it early and forgot. So did my friend, cause after I healed I heard a long stream of obscenities.

I proceeded to kill with Surf and now have a story about how my water dog owned his mewtwo.
I never fight with or against Legendarys

OT: it was pokemon Yellow and i was fighting Giovanie and i dont know why but my one pokemon he refused to attack he just used status based moves so after about 20 or so mins of hitting him it was a low level pokemon i think Bulbasour i finnualy won from strugle

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I don't think I've ever had a pokésaviour or needed it.

Although I guess there is the time when my Whimsicott took out all of my friends legendary pokémon(I let him use them since I already beat him twice when he didn't have them).

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I think it was my very first gym battle in Red (or at least on a restart) against Brock. I had picked Charmander as a starter, and the only other Pokemon I had in my party was a Lvl 2 Pidgey. I beat Brock's Geodude, but he defeated me with his Onix. I sent out Pidgey, and bam! Pidgey beat Onix. I think he grew about five levels due to that.

My first run through on Emerald was similar. I was on the second gym, fresh from catching a Sableye from the nearby cave. Turns out that none of Brawly's Pokemon could even touch Sableye thanks to his Ghost-typing. So that was fairly easy. Too bad it took forever, and too bad Sableye never really proved himself too useful for the rest of the game...

Je Suis Ubermonkey

Jun 10, 2010
I took on my brother in an all lvl 100 6 vs 6. We opened with a Snorlax war (oh the hilarity). Just as we were both running out of rests I swapped to my Ho-oh.
Did you know that teaching a Ho-oh rest makes it capable of beating 5 full strength pokemon? The best part was taking down his pride and joy, his Feraligator. Water vs fire, fire wins - by sleeping.

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
on emerald against Norman, my low level swellow knew protect through a TM, using the fact that Slaking has to rest every other turn I was able to beat it using tackle for 22 moves, twas awesome

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I can't think of one at the moment as a child I tended to rage-quit when my starter was fainted and I still do that a lot. Most of the time I just use something with a type advantage and win, or if they have the type advantage and I don't feel like grinding up something with a type advantage over them I use a helluva a lot of potions.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
In pokemon yellow brock was pretty hard because your starter is always pikachu and all you can catch by than is rattatas and caterpies. (hope I got that all right, it's been about a decade since I last played) After several fails I eventually beat him by making my metapod harden (his only attack) until he was out of mp(?) and had to struggle. Since he hardened 40 times he took nearly no damage at all but neither did brock's onyx. After like 500 struggles onyx went down. Glory followed.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
I usually go into the gym for a couple trainer fights, just to see the levels I'm going up against. Based on those results, I will either continue to the gym leader, taking out trainers as I go, if I deem the Pokemon I've raised to counter the gym strong enough (being able to wipe out gym trainers easily, not just barely defeating them), or go outside and grind for a while. Only then will I take a shot at the leader (after healing and dropping a save obviously). Generally I win first try, no faintings, but sometimes they get a lucky crit in and I'll switch to my highest level pokemon on hand.

With the elite 4 + champion - If it's a new game, I'll usually hop online or check a strategy guide to see the types & levels I'm going up against, and train accordingly. Generally I don't even bother making a run on them unless my entire party is within 3 levels of the highest pokemon I will be facing.

So the secret to my success: Being prepared. And potions.

La Barata said:
For me, it was Celadon City gym, against Erica. I was being destroyed, and was down to just my Drowzee. I was about to lose, but then I realized a slight hope. Hypnosis: put them to sleep. Dream Eater: Do damage while asleep, and restore hp to the user.
Very lucky. Very lucky indeed. The game tends to screw me over when I try and rely on dream eater, so I don't.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
Fighting Garry after the elite four in Pokemon blue, being the naive child i was i had only trained my Charizard, after beating five of his pokemon and severley injuring blastoise he fell to hydro pump, the rest of my pokemon were weak and awful and were crushed easily by the mighty Blastoise.....I only had one pokemon left, a pokemon i had picked up before going into mount moon and had not used once in the entire game....yes ladies and gentelmen of the escapist, my final pokemon was a jiggleypuff...

Expecting a swift demise i sent out jiggleypuff, but then an amazing thing happend, Blastoise's attack missed!, quick as a flash I used Lullebye ....over and over again, until Jiggleypuff could only use that weird move they get when they have No more PP....guess who killed blastoise with a jiggleypuuff :D:D:D

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
In White, Marhsal destroyed all of my pokemon with Meinshao, which was his second pokemon. My last pokemon turned out to be Musharna. Hypnosis, Dream Eater, repeat. Doesn't matter what pokemon or what situation, that strategy always works.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Okay. generation 1, where it was possible to win any battle with a pokemon faster than the foe that knows wrap.

I began a battle in celadon gym with a female jr. trainer, she had this weepinbell which was faster than all of my pokemon, kicking the ass of each one with its wrap attack! I was down to my last pokemon, dripping with sweat i sent it out. My graveler. It had a type disadvantage and so seemed to be, at first, a suicide mission. However, the weepinbell continued to sue wrap before switching to a STUN SPORE! I kicked its ass, but i don't remember which move i used. Probably rock throw or magnitude or something.

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
I usually am pretty good on gym leaders, so this story is from a recent infrared battle.
I was down to my last pokemon, a shiny Raikou, yes, I did the event from gamestop, I wanted Zoroark, he had a Galvantula and an Emboar left. Extreme speed takes out the Galvantula, on what I thought would be my last turn, and, sure enough, Emboar flamethrowers Raikou. I watch his health plummet, begin to shake his hand, for the battle, and it stops at 2 hp. No held item. Thinking it is the last turn, I use thunderbolt, knowing that I have all but lost unless Parahax works for me. I watch his Emboars health plummet, and 2 words liven up my mood. Critical Hit. One shot kill.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
warcraft4life said:
I do this one at every gym

I go in, get all the supplies I need, go to the gym leader, find out what pokemon they have, leave the city and do some grinding

Never fails
I do that all the time, saves me from excessive swearing.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I was fighting Maylene (fighting gym leader in Platinum) not having too much trouble, until she brought out Lucario. Since I didn't have any pokemon with fire moves at the time, that thing just tore through all my pokemon until all I had left was Drifblim.
I ended up just constantly using Stockpile/Spit up to eventually take down Lucario. I had to use up every last potion I had to keep Drifblim alive to finish the fight.

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
Sorry for my stupidity in advance, I play, but don't know everything yet.

1, what is a Nuzlocke? I have heard of it, but I never found out what it is.

2, My Poke Saviour was when I was battling the Elite Four in Pokemon SoulSilver. It was the last opponent, the Champion with Dragon types. All my pokemon were wiped out, all that was left was a LvL 30 Dratini I got from the last gym in Johto that I was training with a Exp Share. He used Hyper beam the previous turn, so my Dratini used Twister in a feeble attempt to win while ti was charging. It was a critical. It KO'ed it, and I won.

After that, I went.

.......................how?

After that, I was dumbfounded and was more enpowered to play even more.

bulbasaur765

May 1, 2010
The only time I can remember being owned was by Whitney back in 2000. I probably got saved by Kadabra's Future Sight at the last second, but that's all I could theorize.

Edit: Oh! I do remember recently I was replaying Blue Version and was getting destroyed by Lt.Surge's Raichu until I sent out a Parasect I was raising. Electricity didn't faze it and I just used Poisonpowder and Leech Life.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Using curse.
I just beat a much stronger NPC trainer in White with this tactic:

-Send in a quick pokemon to use Thunder Wave to paralyze the target
-have that pokemon faint
-send in a ghost to curse it
-have that faint
-use revives to revive pokemon so even if they faint in one hit you have always at least one left, and since the foe is paralyzed you get turns when it can't attack and you can either hit it or heal pokemon

This tactic doesn't work against human players for several reasons, but the game just never switches cursed pokemon out.

Also ghost pokemon were almost unbeatable in the beginning of the game in gen 1 or gen 2(where you could easily get one) at least when most opponents had just normal-type attacks.

And any psychic pokemon in the first gen.

bliebblob said:
In pokemon yellow brock was pretty hard because your starter is always pikachu and all you can catch by than is rattatas and caterpies. (hope I got that all right, it's been about a decade since I last played)
You could catch Mankey. They changed it for the yellow version so you could get it from a nearby route and that it learned Low Kick earlier.

Kneel before my knowledge of useless trivia about a decade old children's game!