Your thoughts on... Nerd/Geek culture of today.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
erttheking said:
Dragonlayer said:
Uh, you're calling for no hyperbole in the same sentence that you say that people are calling geek culture unholy. Which they are not. You're sending mixed messages. More like the idea of it. Let's be frank, this is all blown out of proportion. Geek culture? Culture? A culture is a way of life. Are we really saying that our entire lives are dedicated to these things? I just...no. I love gaming, but it isn't a way of freaking life. And the arrogance and dick heads that come with it...oh my.

Yes there are plenty echo chambers on the internet, but like I said before, geek "culture' primarily exists online. Yes other echo chambers exist, but with geek "Culture" they make up the very core of it. Uh, we've avoid managing to become hostile in this thread? A moderator said some less than pleasant things about geek "culture" and got several downright outraged and not exactly friendly replies. And the Overwatch beta thread isn't hotile? Well that's a small miracle, we finally have an Overwatch thread that isn't about censorship and SJWs. That's got to be the first in a year. Yes I'll admit it isn't always hostile, but I have to say it feels like the core of it is. "Absolute worse-" Did I say that?

Yeah the general rule of thumb is that the Escapist is considered one of the better websites out there. Which makes me laugh bitterly. My time on the old Bungie forums turned very unpleasant very fast before I migrated here. Ok I'll make a concession. Meeting up with geeks off the net tends to be a fairly pleasant affair. The problem there is that, while idle conversations can easily happen, unless people make the effort to get to know other geeks better, which they can only reasonably do with a handful of people, the majority of the interaction of geek "culture" happens online. The debates, the arguments, the voting, the crowfunding. And all of that can be very bitter and makes me not want to call myself a geek or a gamer. We've come a long way? Yes we have. And we have a long way to go still.
I'm not, that's me paraphrasing some of the hyperbolic responses in this thread, though I apologise if I was unclear. And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the existence of a geek culture: culture isn't simply "a way of life", it's a gestation of ideas, beliefs and activities into a recognizable and relatively cohesive social force. That we are discussing video games in relation to how they supposedly influence people to act online, instead of merely swapping cheat codes, is testament to that fact. As I said in my first reply, I'm not arguing that geek culture means, or should mean the total submission of all other aspects of one's identity to gaming, or comics or whatever, though there are certainly people obsessive enough to do that. What I am arguing, is that the sheer viciousness of the negative responses in this thread seem very overblown for a situation that ultimately isn't that bad. Before you counter, no I am not saying there is nothing wrong with geek culture or because others are worse, nothing needs to be improved. Far from it - but I think people are fixating far too much on the worst aspects. I mean, I've encountered twats, but I've also made some of the strongest friendships in my life through geek interests.

I disagree, I'd say the facilitation of geek culture happens primarily online and is therefore subject to the unfortunate reality of anything primarily communicated across the internet: the twats take the focus, because someone shouting something objectionable is so much easier to spot than people getting along. And again, I disagree, just compare the posting in here to 4chan, Youtube or your average website with an open political slant. *Those* generate almost impenetrable echo chambers, and *those* express blatant hostility to anyone with a contrary opinion. People are expressing disagreement with Barbas - and rightly so I think - but they aren't telling him to fuck off and die. People are providing reasoning for their disagreements - regardless of whether their convincing or not - but they aren't sending death and rape threats to each other. I'll admit that things have been charged as of late, and that Overwatch has been a particularly noteworthy example of this, but I still feel that the site is better than that*, and that it's all too easy to concentrate on the controversy topics. As for the quote, you didn't say it but Barbas and Fox12 did, and is a prime example of the style of hyperbole I'm talking about.

Oh come now, it's easy enough to avoid the twattery of the Escapist, and while a certain amount of passive-aggressive irritation spills out anyway, I would not classify that as the disgusting vermin of geek culture this thread loathes so much. I'm not so well informed on other sites, but I used to be part of the Killzone forums and they weren't exceptionally awful for being geeky. Yes, operative word there being "can": geek culture can and does have venonmous elements that need to be told "Grow up or piss off", but geek culture as a whole is not the wretched hive of scum and villany many here say it is.

*Despite the snarky comments I've made to the contrary at certain times.

Terminal Marque

May 2, 2016
Secondhand Revenant said:
Terminal Marque said:
You're not nerds and geeks, you're just people who play games.
That probably works better. Then people can drop the stupid baggage that comes with those words and stop pretending the chip on their shoulder is reasonable.
It's not just baggage, it's also the claim that you're intelligent and educated, generally in the STEM fields. More broadly, it's someone with exhaustive knowledge and passion for academic subjects or activities, like music or math or medicine. Buying videogames isn't "Geeky" it's "Average". Liking PopSci doesn't make you a nerd, it makes you a duffer on the course of intellectual life.

I understand why people would rather think "I'm a nerd!" than "I'm a poorly socialized loser", but c'est la vie.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Terminal Marque said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
Terminal Marque said:
You're not nerds and geeks, you're just people who play games.
That probably works better. Then people can drop the stupid baggage that comes with those words and stop pretending the chip on their shoulder is reasonable.
It's not just baggage, it's also the claim that you're intelligent and educated, generally in the STEM fields. More broadly, it's someone with exhaustive knowledge and passion for academic subjects or activities, like music or math or medicine. Buying videogames isn't "Geeky" it's "Average". Liking PopSci doesn't make you a nerd, it makes you a duffer on the course of intellectual life.

I understand why people would rather think "I'm a nerd!" than "I'm a poorly socialized loser", but c'est la vie.
You've got a point there. I think many gamers do like to act as if their ideas are more intellectual than they are.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
You guys have once again turned this into a gender issue instead of what I originally was speaking about. I am probably done posting after this post because of the lack of people reading through the entirety of the discussion or simply ignoring aspects of my posts and I am having to either restate what I already said or having to explain what I mean by a statement because this or that part was ignored and being taken out of context so it can be misread.

Something Amyss said:
I didn't assume only straight sales
You did in the only part I care about. You made a factually incorrect statement about the readership levels. I don't really care about your weaboo assertions.
This sums up the annoyance rather well. You don't care about my whole point. You only care about this minor detail of something I said that is not my point. By doing so you ignore my point, and then it should be no surprise you don't know what I am talking about. By the way, Marvel almost went Bankrupt. They even filed, that isn't factually incorrect. As well, at the time collectors were buying multiple issues of the same comic to collect. When the bottom fell out the sales dropped by over 50% showing that sales were heavily dependent on the collector market. Many collectors were buying all the variant covers to keep in pristine condition sometimes multiple copies of the same collectors edition books and then buying an extra book to tear into and read. This means that sales were not on a 1:1 readership level. Comic shops couldn't return unsold copies and there wasn't enough people to buy the copies and keep the shops from going out of business. Why do you say it is factually incorrect? Additonally, I drew a direct parallel to social culture in the 90s.

However, the main point I want to stress is that you actively ignored a part of my point that collaborated with the entire rest of my post. Phasmal has been great in structuring her responses as responses to my points I have made and not trying to dissect my argument and treat it all as statements that have no correlation. I am not placing the blame at women. I am not placing the blame at men. I am not placing the blame at the social inept. I am not placing the blame at the hipsters. I am saying we are all equally at fault as we are all equally a part of this community and this community has went downhill. This site being fueled by Yahtzee fans who like the idea of finding the most negative to view something has always been a detectable part of the atmosphere around here. However, things have flared up in the past couple years and I think that we need to use understanding and tolerance to lower the levels of toxicity. That is why I keep pointing at StatusNil's post. It shows that there is plenty of toxicity in this community to go around. It shows it on both sides. The "here first" nerds and the "ironic social" nerds.

I agree with most that many of the "nerd community" places seem to be doing ok. It is on the internet when opinions run amok because society is not there to keep you in "check" and we are allowed to say whatever we want. Here, online this is a very negative community. The escapist has a TON of negativity in it. I am getting barked down and having people try to twist my words to make my statement negative. I have said nothing negative.

You've spent a lot of time in this thread railing against things I actually enjoy because they don't meet your standards of nerddom (I just bought Rock Band 4. Do you know why I first bought a Guitar Hero game?
For example I own 4 guitars to Guitar Hero in my closet. I own Guitar Hero Aerosmith and Guitar Hero 3 for PS3. I havent played Rock Band until recently when a friend got it. I did play Guitar Hero World Tour at my brothers house a lot though. I like those games, I wasn't railing on anything. I merely said that they helped push video games into the mainstream and show that games aren't just things for kids. I also own CoD: BlOps, BlOps2, Ghosts, but I got rid of CoD4 regrettably thinking that no one play it once MW2 came out because at that time CoD4's servers were already practically empty. However, there is no denying that CoD took gaming to the mainstream audiences. That doesn't mean I hate it, that means I can recognize its significance in pop culture.

What part do I actually play in being told to make someone a sammich or getting told to GTFO because I logged on with a female username, profile pic or character?
That isn't for me to answer but you. I am merely pointing out that one isolated scenario is not the whole picture. If you decide that your part is to throw more hostility into the environment, I can't stop you. But don't expect me to then believe that THEY are the sole source of the hostility and that you are innocent.

You prominently stated you are a Christian. I remember someone in the Bible saying that one should remove the beam from one's own eye before addressing the mote in their neighbour's.
Good advice, don't you think?

Well, except you used the term empathy, for people in this community, and used yourself as an example.
I used myself as an example of being someone trying to set an example. Not once did I elude to wanting you to show me sympathy. My message has been to show tolerance, patience, and understanding. Empathy could be a way to so. Personally, when I view others I like to keep in mind that the Lord loves them and as such I should too by ignoring my own preconceptions. I don't like to assume that they have been harassed or abused but it happens. I try to keep an open mind and simply wonder why they would reply as they did. Any anger on their part I try to look past to find resolution. That is ideal, it doesn't always happen but I have gotten better at it over the years and when it does happen I find I actually get to enjoy the experience instead of letting it frustrate me upon thinking of it.

I am affording you empathy but I am still going to tell you that I disagree with you. I just do so in a way that doesn't attempt to belittle or otherwise take a jab at you. Empathy certainly doesn't mean enablement which is what many here seem to mistaking my message for by the looks of it.

Nerd outrage has been a thing longer than we've been alive. It seems the only problem is now that it's not confined to whites and males.
Nerd outrage tends to happen when you go changing the continuity. The 'campaign' to kill of Robin, first of all, wasn't a campaign. They changed the character of Robin and he was not well received by the fanbase. DC then created a campaign where fans could vote for Todd's death and they treated it as fan service. A rather smart way of handling it. The pols came out almost 50/50 with his death leading the votes by a small margin. This created a controversy. There was no vocal outcry for DC to kill Todd. As well, Spock's death was a death of not only a main character but THE fan favorite. Spock's death was essentially the director attempting to be "edgy" and it made fans no longer interested in Star Trek if it were final. That ending tested poorly and it could have meant the end of a fandom, thus money had they went through with it. They were faced with pissing off the majority of their fans and losing money, or not doing it.

There is a big difference in "You destroyed my main interest in your franchise" ourage and "you need to change your franchise to MY tastes despite current fans" outrage.

I just want the right to fucking exist and enjoy my own hobbies. Somehow, this makes me culpable in my own harassment. I want the same respect you have demanded for others, for being a 30+ year veteran of nerd hobbies.
You act like I received such respect. I have always been able to count on 1 hand my friends who shared my interests. Of those, It was usually 1 common interest. I got whatever respect I gave which was, essentially, politeness. When I was rude, it resulted in negative behavior towards me. If you give respect, people tend to give it. Sometimes you have to give it away for a while. Unfortunately, when it comes to online there is always a chance of yet another person quoting you to tell you why you are wrong. This is why I will probably be ending my part in this discussion and backing away slowly. We are now in territory I don't feel this discussion needed to go.

"I'm a true geek because I've been doing X for fifteen years!"
Original geeks don't own it and I don't advocate that. Actually, I think more people being included is awesome. I quit reading comics in 2004 because Marvel pissed me off and then they finalized it with One More Day. MCU is my new "comics" as they seems to be good at capturing the spirit of the comics and they have, more than once, made me feel like I was watching a live action issue of a comic. I am Jonny-come-lately to Star Trek as when it aired I was too young to appreciate its social nuances. Personally, I hope that by bringing nerdom/geekdom into the mainstream, many of the social inadequacies of others can be aided by those who are more adept at them. A little hopeful? Maybe, but I am the kind of guy that watches Star Trek and read comic books thinks Jesus is the most awesome guy ever and loves the idea of the "greater good" that I identify as God.

We have a history of talking about the Ghostbusters movie and that's it.
Untrue, though you've managed to insert it into more than one conversation when I said nothing about it.
I think you have me mistaken for someone else.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Phasmal said:
I am gonna make this one fast as I would mostly be reposting a fraction of my post Something Amyss. Essentially, you asked me my take on your scenario and I gave it. That doesn't mean I excuse that behavior its just that the scenario is so isolated that if that is the only perameters I get to look at then I have to make my judgement from that. I am not saying my judgement is the only right way but rather I am simply promoting less hostile reactions. Not condoning poor behavior.

WHile I agree that it is dumb, the community being so large is still new and growing pains should be expected. All I am saying is that I firmly believe they will pass. The more you act hostile, the longer it will take to pass. For what its worth.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Zenja said:
Phasmal said:
I am gonna make this one fast as I would mostly be reposting a fraction of my post Something Amyss. Essentially, you asked me my take on your scenario and I gave it. That doesn't mean I excuse that behavior its just that the scenario is so isolated that if that is the only perameters I get to look at then I have to make my judgement from that. I am not saying my judgement is the only right way but rather I am simply promoting less hostile reactions. Not condoning poor behavior.

WHile I agree that it is dumb, the community being so large is still new and growing pains should be expected. All I am saying is that I firmly believe they will pass. The more you act hostile, the longer it will take to pass. For what its worth.
Well, yeah I think it's about time we wrap this up. I did think you were going somewhere different with your posts, so to see the same old 'Have you tried ignoring it' is a little disappointing.

I've been around for a fair while, as have many other women on this site, and maybe when we're saying that ignoring it isn't effective, it's because we have experience in this.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a particularly hostile person, I don't jump for joy when I have a chance to tell a nerd to go fuck himself, but I believe everyone is responsible for what they do. And if I sit around tolerating nerd boys being assholes to me, I am sending the message that their behaviour is acceptable. It's not. If they're honestly not smart enough to see the connection between what they've said and how women respond to them, that's not something I or any other woman can fix.

I'm always happy to meet new people with the same interests, and I'm not actively hostile to dudes, even though I've had bad interactions with dudes in the past and that seems to be a good enough excuse for them, but yeah, I'm generally very positive in my interactions with other gamers and such. But I'm not going to sit back and be Miss Nice Nerd when someone's going off at me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phasmal said:
Well, yeah I think it's about time we wrap this up. I did think you were going somewhere different with your posts, so to see the same old 'Have you tried ignoring it' is a little disappointing.
It's not even that, though. It's "you are party in your own harassment."

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Something Amyss said:
Phasmal said:
It's not even that, though. It's "you are party in your own harassment."
Yeah, I'm not even gonna pretend to understand that. The idea that we must have done something is really... well... this is the internet. People are dicks to women for no reason all the fucking time, why are we acting like it's a two-way street?

Ugh. To be honest I don't know why I bother with this kind of discussion, it always goes down the same.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phasmal said:
Ugh. To be honest I don't know why I bother with this kind of discussion, it always goes down the same.
Tired of feeling voiceless and powerless in what is supposed to be your own community?

More or less why I started getting more vocal. I even got very "comfortable" talking about some uncomfortable things. Granted, the air quotes are because I still sometimes want to throw up or hyperventilate, but if nobody says anything nothing gets changed.

Zenja said:
You don't care about my whole point.
You're right. I only care about the false claim used to invalidate others. But here's the thing. You can be annoyed all you want, you can say you have a problem with what I choose to respond to, but you are not entitled to a response from me, let alone in any format. You may not like that sexism is being brought up, but it's a very real and prominent example of the sort of shit that happens in nerd culture.

By the way, Marvel almost went Bankrupt.
Who denied that?

However, the main point I want to stress is that you actively ignored a part of my point that collaborated with the entire rest of my post.
You still haven't made a case for that.

Phasmal has been great in structuring her responses as responses
I'm not Phasmal, and I'm not going to emulate her because you prefer her organisation.

I am not placing the blame at women.
No, you're not. You're asking that the harassed party share blame in their own harassment. This is victim blaming, the notion that the wounded party had some part in it. What I said was and remains true.

That is why I keep pointing at StatusNil's post.
Repetition will not make your point more correct or more true. Blame sharing is very beneficial to the harrasser, the bully, the one who instigates. And you can continue to say I didn't read his post, but the fact is I'm simply not interested in discussing someone else's post with you. Again, there's this idea that if I'm not agreeing with it, I must have not read it or ignored it. Neither you nor he are entitled to anyone addressing it.

For example I own 4 guitars to Guitar Hero in my closet. I own Guitar Hero Aerosmith and Guitar Hero 3 for PS3. I havent played Rock Band until recently when a friend got it. I did play Guitar Hero World Tour at my brothers house a lot though. I like those games, I wasn't railing on anything. I merely said that they helped push video games into the mainstream and show that games aren't just things for kids. I also own CoD: BlOps, BlOps2, Ghosts, but I got rid of CoD4 regrettably thinking that no one play it once MW2 came out because at that time CoD4's servers were already practically empty. However, there is no denying that CoD took gaming to the mainstream audiences. That doesn't mean I hate it, that means I can recognize its significance in pop culture.
Right, except you didn't do that. You didn't identify them for pop culture value, but used them as shorthand for a problem that you can't really establish exists.

I am merely pointing out that one isolated scenario is not the whole picture.
No, you tried to pass the buck from the harassers. Since this is larger than just me, this new argument isn't even a counter to mine. There's a larger picture. Nerds as bullies, abusers, harassers. The permissiveness towards that group in overall nerd culture. The irony is you're making a case for nerds to be treated the way you don't like. Telling girls to assume zero social skills, show empathy because they've been wronged. These are the exact reason nerds get accused of being manchilren and whatnot. Because we're asked to assume zero social skills, that nerds just can't handle functioning in real society with civilised people and women, and then when that assumption is made, people get offended.

And one of the reasons sexism is so relevant here is that we are automatically othered. When you pictured Phasmal in your mind, you suggested that she was confident and even made a Z-Snap reference based on little information other than that she was a girl.

The solution is to set a standard. If you ask us to treat you like children, or treat you like you don't know how to behave around women, then you have no grounds to complain if we do. This is the way we (because I am part of this group whether they want me or not) are viewed, and you're telling people to assume it. Assume the worst.

If you decide that your part is to throw more hostility into the environment
Which one of us declared we were at war? Remind me, because I think I was the one who said I just wanted to play my games and enjoy my media without people yelling at me because I present with a female username. I think it was you who kept describing a war.

But don't expect me to then believe that THEY are the sole source of the hostility and that you are innocent.
See, this makes it look like you're looking for a reason to justify harassment. You did the same, again, when Phasmal simply recounted a story about something that happened. I forget the exact claim, but you said that she was making a big deal about the event when all she did was recount to you an event that has happened to a friend.

A female username is all it takes to be harassed a good chunk of the time. You don't have to speak, you don't have to even join a game or play for any amount of time. Unless you think my soul is being broadcast through the net, but only when I use a female name, then there is no argument, there is no refuge. Harassment doesn't require two sides to tango.

Also, it does go away when I go with a male username. And the general consensus on this site is that presumed male me is a lot less nice than "me" me. I used to balk at that notion, that I might have changed the way I act, but...I always feel like I'm walking a tightrope. I get it. Your baseline is "male." You don't get how awesome it can be to be perceived as a dude in nerd culture. That's because you don't have the experience of being constantly othered, constantly harassed. So maybe listen to those who do.

Sure, it's why I suggested it. The problem is, you're still trying to turn this around on me and it doesn't work. Honestly, I suspect you really feel you're the wronged party, even though you described nerd culture's relationship with women as war, but that's the thing. I'm not at war with anyone but the Lizard people, and they're more hipster than nerd. Also, they're technically avians. But I honestly believe this is being treated as a war. But not by me. And I doubt by much of anyone on my "side." This is how we end up "othered," though.

Not being harassed or violated or treated like crap my people who claim they don't like those behaviours (unless you're cool with being bullied or beaten up, in which case fair enough) is not an unreasonable desire. You want peace and understanding? It's time to reflect on the attitude that this is a war. That nerds are under attack by "the other" to which I always seem to belong.

I am affording you empathy but I am still going to tell you that I disagree with you.
Except you're telling em to assume that when people threaten to rape me, that I should assume they have zero social skills and afford them empathy. You're not saying "well, Amy might have actually been raped in the past and has spent years and years working on the associated PTSD and this might be actually damaging to her."

And I don't get a cookie for ignoring them or laughing it off. I just get more of the same. This is taken as permissiveness.

You're not showing sympathy for me constantly being belittled in terms of my technical or trivial knowledge or the dismissal of me based on a screen name rather than aptitude. You're telling me to consider that I might have wronged these people I've just met, or worse. That I should show them understanding because they've been belittled by women before.

Except I've been harassed before. Constantly. More than enough to want to hide behind an assumed name. That's the problem with this model. It doesn't work once you factor in both sides. Because culturally, we are constantly asked to put up with this crap, and to consider the boys' feelings. In an equal system, you wouldn't be telling me that if I decide to be hostile, then I shouldn't expect you to believe me when I say I didn't have a hand in the harassment. My response after the fact, in fact, should be quite normal. I'm as human as nerd boys are. I have social anxieties and phobias and I'm in therapy for those, too. But you shifted the burden to the point that if I fight back, then I wasn't an innocent victim. Except I don't go on the offense. I'm not the one going onto a server and declaring an entire gender can't play video games, or demanding dick pics, or threatening to rape people I've just met. This is a pretty one-sided phenomenon.

This is not what actual empathy looks like.

DC then created a campaign where fans could vote for Todd's death and they treated it as fan service.
That's only part of the story.

There is a big difference in "You destroyed my main interest in your franchise" ourage and "you need to change your franchise to MY tastes despite current fans" outrage.
I imagine the difference you're thinking of isn't "one's a strawman."

Again, Trek got changed to meet the racist attitudes of its time. Themes Roddenberry wanted in led to boycotts and lost affiliates. Except nobody seems to care that this sort of activism happens all the time. Rationalise it any way you want, but this isn't about changing continuity.

You act like I received such respect. I have always been able to count on 1 hand my friends who shared my interests. Of those, It was usually 1 common interest. I got whatever respect I gave which was, essentially, politeness. When I was rude, it resulted in negative behavior towards me. If you give respect, people tend to give it. Sometimes you have to give it away for a while. Unfortunately, when it comes to online there is always a chance of yet another person quoting you to tell you why you are wrong. This is why I will probably be ending my part in this discussion and backing away slowly. We are now in territory I don't feel this discussion needed to go.
Respect was your word, not mine. Call it what you want. What you're describing is not what I have described. You only had one interest in common with your friends? Try being a dyed-in-the-wool geek and being told to leave because you're not legit enough.

When you were rude, negativity happened to you. What I described, what you ignored, was negativiy for existing. You're preaching things that we've been asked to do and it doesn't work. Rather than listening and empathising, you choose to lecture. You downplay our experiences.

Original geeks don't own it and I don't advocate that.
You were the one who brought up the "here first" idea. You asked us to understand they wanted to be recognised for that. The only reason I responded is because that door should swing both ways. Now you're trying to say you don't advocate it. That's fine. I don't give a crap. What isn't fine is that you wanted us to recognise them for false accomplishments when no such recognition will be afforded us. It's a goalpost shift to make this about how original geeks down own it. Maybe stop saying that we should afford them the respect they crave. And maybe start preaching to them that if they give a little respect, they can get some.

You want empathy for people doing bad things. Start by preaching empathy for the people they do bad things to.

I think you have me mistaken for someone else.
Then someone else on here is named Zenja.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
Parasondox said:
snip
Actually, what exactly defines a nerd or a geek these days? Big glasses and braces no longer count. I don't think. I haven't been in school for 8 years.
Nerds are devoted to some form of academia, geeks are devoted to some form of fiction and/or collectible /arbitrary_definition

I don't think geek/nerd culture has changed all that much, at least in self-perception. It's more mainstream, but still sees itself on the fringes. The biggest shift has been the incorporation of politics into the culture as it expanded into the mainstream. In essence it's yet another staging ground in the continual culture war between conservatives and liberals. Mixed with the usual anonymity, straw-manning, and shit-posting you'd see when the console wars were still relevant. *Different subjects, same culture. Slowly the surely the geek culture has become more tightly incorporated with mainstream culture.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Zenja said:
You guys have once again turned this into a gender issue instead of what I originally was speaking about. I am probably done posting after this post because of the lack of people reading through the entirety of the discussion or simply ignoring aspects of my posts and I am having to either restate what I already said or having to explain what I mean by a statement because this or that part was ignored and being taken out of context so it can be misread.
Maybe people just disagree. After you made stuff up on my behalf about how easy things were supposed to be to get over I'm surprised you had the gall to accuse people in this fashion.

Something Amyss said:
I didn't assume only straight sales
You did in the only part I care about. You made a factually incorrect statement about the readership levels. I don't really care about your weaboo assertions.
This sums up the annoyance rather well. You don't care about my whole point. You only care about this minor detail of something I said that is not my point.
The way to avoid arguing on points that you don't find relevant enough is to not make those points, not to complain that people don't just ignore them.

However, the main point I want to stress is that you actively ignored a part of my point that collaborated with the entire rest of my post. Phasmal has been great in structuring her responses as responses to my points I have made and not trying to dissect my argument and treat it all as statements that have no correlation. I am not placing the blame at women. I am not placing the blame at men. I am not placing the blame at the social inept. I am not placing the blame at the hipsters. I am saying we are all equally at fault as we are all equally a part of this community and this community has went downhill.
The thing is, by refusing to assign any blame in any situation you implicitly defend aggressors and are unfair to those receiving the aggression.

Also you do seem to implicitly imply blame. Someone tells you how some else treated them poorly, you try to blame them for having done something first or for the reaction you presume they have.

This site being fueled by Yahtzee fans who like the idea of finding the most negative to view something has always been a detectable part of the atmosphere around here.
That doesn't sound very understanding.

However, things have flared up in the past couple years and I think that we need to use understanding and tolerance to lower the levels of toxicity. That is why I keep pointing at StatusNil's post. It shows that there is plenty of toxicity in this community to go around. It shows it on both sides. The "here first" nerds and the "ironic social" nerds.
I think you're ignoring the source of the problems by trying to say not to blame anyone. You're putting the burden on those who didn't do anything wrong and saying it is their problem to solve by being nice to the aggressors. You then excuse the problems caused by the supposedly 'socially inept' and expect everyone else to work to improve them. It's simply not fair to place the burden of someone else's problems on everyone else without a single expectation from the party whose problems they actually are.

I agree with most that many of the "nerd community" places seem to be doing ok. It is on the internet when opinions run amok because society is not there to keep you in "check" and we are allowed to say whatever we want. Here, online this is a very negative community. The escapist has a TON of negativity in it. I am getting barked down and having people try to twist my words to make my statement negative. I have said nothing negative.
Who cares how 'negative' what you say is. That's not a worthwhile evaluation. What you propose is utterly unfair to one party.

And you're one to talk about twisting.

What part do I actually play in being told to make someone a sammich or getting told to GTFO because I logged on with a female username, profile pic or character?
That isn't for me to answer but you.
You claim people are equally responsible so it *is* a question for you.

I am merely pointing out that one isolated scenario is not the whole picture. If you decide that your part is to throw more hostility into the environment, I can't stop you. But don't expect me to then believe that THEY are the sole source of the hostility and that you are innocent.
Being hostile doesn't make one guilty. Being hostile for no reason does.

Don't expect anyone to believe that you are at all being equal to everyone when you blame people for not appreciating those who treat them poorly for no reason.

You prominently stated you are a Christian. I remember someone in the Bible saying that one should remove the beam from one's own eye before addressing the mote in their neighbour's.
I certainly have not seen you do so.

Well, except you used the term empathy, for people in this community, and used yourself as an example.
I used myself as an example of being someone trying to set an example. Not once did I elude to wanting you to show me sympathy. My message has been to show tolerance, patience, and understanding. Empathy could be a way to so. Personally, when I view others I like to keep in mind that the Lord loves them and as such I should too by ignoring my own preconceptions. I don't like to assume that they have been harassed or abused but it happens. I try to keep an open mind and simply wonder why they would reply as they did. Any anger on their part I try to look past to find resolution. That is ideal, it doesn't always happen but I have gotten better at it over the years and when it does happen I find I actually get to enjoy the experience instead of letting it frustrate me upon thinking of it.
Expecting everyone to follow your personal philosophy is where things get ridiculous. Forgive people if you want but don't tell others they need to.

I am affording you empathy but I am still going to tell you that I disagree with you.
The empathy of refusing to blame those who are rude to her, but blaming her if she responds in kind to them. I might call it empathy, but not for her.

I just do so in a way that doesn't attempt to belittle or otherwise take a jab at you. Empathy certainly doesn't mean enablement which is what many here seem to mistaking my message for by the looks of it.
Your proposals have only suggested enablement. If there's a component that isn't enabling to those who treat others poorly for no reason I have yet to see it. You only seem concerned with warning off those who may retaliate not those who cause the original problem.

Oh so now you decide that one cause is noble and the other not, while putting a negative twist on the one you dislike.

Funny why aren't you lecturing the people who are initially rude and instead only lecturing those who you think *might* respond with it?

It's funny how you warn off Phasmal and SomethingAmyss as if you know they would react rudely to being treated badly, but as far as I can tell I'm probably the only one who is aggressive enough to bother to defend such a response.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
"Nerd/geek culture" is incredibly broad. There are subsets of subsets of subsets of subsets. To say that 'it' is anything is wrong by default.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Denamic said:
"Nerd/geek culture" is incredibly broad. There are subsets of subsets of subsets of subsets. To say that 'it' is anything is wrong by default.
Seriously. I rather doubt Star Trek fans have a lot to discuss with Game of Thrones fans.

There's always going to be a bit of overlap, but there's always gonna be groups with their own thing. Geek Cliques.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Something Amyss said:
What party do I actually play in being told to make someone a sammich or getting told to GTFO because I logged on with a female username, profile pic or character? Where does the fault lie when my options are drop my voice two octaves to not sound "like a girl" or just not mic up? How am I at fault for unsolicited dick pics?

Why do these problems go away if I use a male username and speak in a way that's physically uncomfortable? If I bear some responsibility, why is it only when I present as a girl that it's a problem? What, particularly, is Amy doing that "Totally Not Amy" isn't?
On your youtube channel are you dropping your voice a couple octaves lower?

If that's the case then you, and I'm going to emphasise this, should not, have a problem with being attacked or accused of being a female. I strain to get my voice that low, and I am a male.

EDIT: Is this you? https://www.youtube.com/user/ZacharyAmaranth

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Pluvia said:
Hell the most recent big movement from gamers was getting upset that a woman might have slept with people. It was a massive thing. Even smaller things, like Blizzard changing the pose of one of the characters in their game, caused a big uproar because it took the focus away from the characters ass.
You do realize this is an incredibly sexist misrepresentation of both GamerGate (which contrary to what its detractors have continually failed to demonstrate was not formed specifically because Zoe Quinn slept with Nathan Grayson, the later being the reason it was an issue in the first place) and the Blizzard incident of them changing a part of their game because of the complaint of 1 MAN about the pose which fans/customers of the company, man and women alike, did not want changed. The issue in the first case was a massive breach in journalistic behaviour that in any other industry would be career ending (but because this is gaming we aren't worthy of being held to the same standards as the rest of society for some reason) while the second was the fact that a single irrelevant individual who took offence to a part of the game that requires one to bend over backwards so far to take issue with that if it wasn't a metaphor it would be deadly to the person in question, that single individual was considered more important then the sum total of the game's community. We aren't talking about the latter incident dividing the community, it was about as close to unanimity as one can realistically expect, and it was mostly driven by principle. Mainly the fact that one random forum poster can in a shocking display of disconnection be considered more important then the bulk of a game's community.

Your two examples aren't supporting your point in any degree, and in fact only serve to demonstrate the continued problems geek/nerd culture has when dealing with a mainstream that has a negative view of it, don't bother to do basic research into the realities within that culture and aren't bothered with letting facts get in the way of things.

It's like geek culture goes out of its way to make itself look bad.
The problem isn't geek culture doing anything. The problem is non-geeks going out of their way to try and make geek culture look bad.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Pluvia said:
Hell the most recent big movement from gamers was getting upset that a woman might have slept with people. It was a massive thing.
You ignore the fact that the people she slept with included judges of indie game festivals and a journalist who provided coverage of her game, it's who she slept with and the conflicts of interest that arise from that rather than the fact she slept with people. In any case, the whole thing would've blown over in a couple of weeks if there wasn't a concerted effort to try to suppress the scandal followed by the gaming press declaring war on its audience after the Streisand effect took hold and the scandal could no longer be buried quietly.

Anyway, I have to ask, why are you still here? You have previously posted that you don't like video games anymore, you clearly despise large sections of this website's audience. It seems like it would be better for everyone, including yourself if you just moved on and found other pursuits to fill your time.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Zontar said:
It's like geek culture goes out of its way to make itself look bad.
The problem isn't geek culture doing anything. The problem is non-geeks going out of their way to try and make geek culture look bad.
Do you have any evidence of this?

Incidents?

Evidence that those involved are non-geeks?

Evidence that their motive is to try and make geek culture look bad?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Pluvia said:
Hell the most recent big movement from gamers was getting upset that a woman might have slept with people. It was a massive thing.
Pluvia if you seriously think that, then you genuinely haven't listened to a word half this forum has been saying for the better part of the last two years. I'll let that speak for itself.
Supernova1138 said:
Zontar said:
And you two should know better. If Pluvia isn't even going to consider having their mind changed after all this time, and keep using generalizations circa September 2014 why would you think your paragraph long response this time around is gonna change his mind?

This isn't even me trying to be a dick, but do either of you three believe you'll change each other's minds when you've been trading these same talking points, and that this time one of us has a smoking gun?
There hasn't really been any new info in a while is what I'm saying.

EDIT: This presumes you've talked with each other on this at some point before.