*Your* Top 10 Most Disappointing Games Of All Time?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
joest01 said:
Nazulu said:
joest01 said:
This, however, is heresy:
Nazulu said:
3) Metroid Prime. Still looks beautiful, still great music, still big boss fights, but nowhere as clever as Super Metroid in the slightest.
MP is an absolutely brilliant translation of Super Metroid into 3D. And the whole concept comes to life 10x better in it. Rolling like a ball, screw attacking, beautiful landscapes with eerie music, haunted space stations. Damn, either re-play it or hand in your gamer card. And Super Metroid was not even that good. Yes, it introduced all the aboce concepts, but, honestly? as a platformer it's not very good. Sue me.
I'm sorry, but your 100% wrong. I really wished you challenged some of my points to make a point, because you didn't really say anything. I don't know how you expected me to reply, but I'll try and sum up my thoughts (if you are interested, otherwise just ignore me).

1) Lets start from the beginning, because both have excellent intro screens, with the music you know. Though getting into the game, Super Metroid has an awesome theme song and an explanation to build up suspense, along with small hints in how to control your character, like that you can aim in other directions, though you don't think about it.

- Metroid Prime on the other hand, just shows you landing somewhere with bugger all else going on (but some ok music sweetening it) and then plop, you are on some platform being told how to aim and shoot lights. Exciting.

2) Then in Super Metroid, you are told shit is going down and must investigate a space station. Beginning in an eerie darkish area that seems dead, you move down learning how to traverse basic terrain, discovering no signs of life until SURPRISE! Ridley catches you off guard and then leaves you to retreat, escaping for your life. It really sums up the basic lessons you need before moving on, and it doesn't take long.

- Then in Metroid Prime, you walk into a weird structure and see it's been ravaged. Slowly moving in you're given more instructions, then find some bug things crawling about and pirates lying/dying around for scanning. And then some more pirates, and some operating turrets, and then you meet the big bad bug that did all the damage. Killing it so easily it's not funny, you are then given a lengthy escape challenge that is really lengthy, waiting for shit to open or move. As well as Ridley and some other cinematics, and a lame way to show how you lost some abilities (because shes been hit a lot, and then some random blast does more damage than anything else? Fuck off).

Dying in this escape would mean you need to go through what feels like another 20-30 minutes of game play. That's overkill.

3) Now in Super Metroid you land on a grassy rock spot when it's raining and the music is still eerie. Looking in all available spots, you find no enemy's, except creatures in the walls shifting away from your presence. Going deep into the ground you find some power-ups as well as a weird eye thing spotting you as you do. With no clue whats going on, you are suddenly sprung by pirates.

- Now in Metroid Prime you land on a grassy rock spot when it's raining again, but this time the music is an upbeat ambiance and you find the world teeming with life. No dramatic build up, you are just ruining everyones picnic. Also learning that you need to shut off the hint system so you can enjoy discovering for yourself, and scanning everything to get some insight.

4) And then in Super Metroid, making your way to a room you need to figure out how to get to, you find a statue holding something juicy. Grabbing the upgrade and walking out, the door suddenly closes you in and the statue reveals a hidden beast that catches you off guard, ready to kick your ass for stealing it's shit.

- And then in Metroid Prime, after making your way through some rooms with basic enemy's blocking your way, you reach a large murky looking throne room, with a tempting looking power-up in it. Moving towards it, suddenly it's covered by defence system that uses wasps? While flooding the room with acid. And the machine can only be damaged after it's ran out of wasps for some reason.

That's basically how I feel about both these games. Super Metroid sets up everything to be dramatic and scary, while Metroid Prime half asses a lot of it with basic or odd ideas and cinematics. I really don't like it's ideas as much.

After these steps, both are generally great with the atmosphere. I don't know how you compare it but I'll say this. Metroid Prime is pretty predictable while Super Metroid keeps up the surprises in different ways that scares everyone every first time.

And my biggest deciding factor is the design. In Super Metroid, you get upgrades for moving around better and most areas actually connect with each other. In Metroid Prime this isn't the case. You are always slow and it takes ages to get from one zone to the next, especially if you keep running into the bloody ghosts. I don't like to replay Prime as much.

Look at Super Metroid where you can run, space jump and even fly (technically). And bomb jumping allows for a lot of experimentation, fascinating many. Super Metroid was designed to be replayed over and over, and I do.

As for the graphics and styles. I really like both. I still believe Super Metroid is one of the best looking games out there because the pixel work is still very clear and sharp, and it's style makes it look very... serious.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not calling Prime shit. In fact, I'd say it's the 2nd best Metroid game, and that it even out-does Super Metroid in some important areas. Probably the biggest one is generally the bosses difficulty. In Super Metroid some later bosses are easier than the ones before, especially the last.

You can't convince me that Prime is the better game. It's one of those impossibilities in life you are just going to have to come to terms with. Now hand in your gamer card :p
Mmk, you have obviously spent a lot of time with SM. Tbh I see all the points you are making but I guess I never really noticed the actual "story telling" in SM. The atmosphere in MP combined with the info from scans works a lot better for me. Places like Phenandra Drifts and Elysia (yes, in MP3) are some of the most memorable gaming locations to me.

But, either way. You may be right about everything. But putting MP on a biggest disapointments list still rubs me the wrong way. Seeing that world come to life in 3d must have brought a smile to your face, no :)

p.s. my gamer card is in escrow until I can find it in me to finally finish Resonance of Fate.
I said at the beginning of my original response that I don't really have any after Brawl. I even put that rest are moderate, meaning no big deal. I just Metroid Prime and Half Life 2 just to add something to my post, that's all really. I still think they're amazing games. I even thought both of those games were the best EVER!!! at a point in my life. The scanning in Metroid Prime still amazes me in how it improves the immersion. But I came back to Super Metroid and Metroid Prime at the same time one week and was surprised in what I actually preferred. I'm just glad you didn't say I'm blinded by nostalgia.

Super Metroid is my favourite game, so it's hard to say which location is my most memorable, but if you were to put a gun to my head, I'd think Meridia, both upper and lower sections.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Might not be able to manage 10 but, here goes!

1) Borderlands - Yes I know it came out in 2010 but it slipped by me until recently. I love the graphical style but it's just not interesting me. It strikes me as a kind of bizzare crossbreeding of Fallout 3 and Far Cry 3, which doesn't sound bad but I can't summon up the energy to carry on. I'm told that it's better with co-op and I might try that but I feel a game should be able to stand up on single-player alone.

2) Mass Effect 3 - I have such a love/hate relationship with this game! As with several-squillion other people, the ending left me broken and, despite the Extended Cut and the, in my opinion, excellent Citadel DLC doing good jobs of sewing up the wounds, the scar is still there as a reminder. I am, and always will remain, an unapologetic Mass Effect fan but that doesn't mean I refuse to see its flaws.

3) Saints Row 3 (PC Version) - Wow! I thought GTA IV was a bad PC-Port! All the fun and zaniness promised was let down by abysmal performance on the PC and it wasn't just me who said so.

4) Far Cry 3 - To be honest this one isn't really the game's fault. Again I'd taken years to get around to it and was having a lot of fun with it. That was until I accidentally spoilered the endings for myself and I thought: "Well...they sound like a right buzz-kill..." and my enthusiasm for continuing went out the window.

5) GTA V - Again, this is a game that I don't dislike but, for all the hype, it falls short. The car driving mechanics are still shonky, the radio stations are dull and I can't think of a single character that had any endearing features at all. GTA IV had Jacob, who I liked a lot but GTA V is packed with knobheads and lunatics to the point it becomes tiresome. While the world is GORGEOUS and it's obvious an absolute fucktonne of effort went into it, there's less to do. Yes the constant requests to go bowling are but a bad memory but I did at least enjoy the minigames. The golf is challenging but what little else there is, is sub-par (pun intended).

I also spent ages trying to find my way into a fast-food joint to top up my flashing-red health bar...and wondering where my newly pimped-out Vigero had vanished to...and where the single-player DLC is...

6) WWE 2K15 - Somewhat uniquely for this list, WWE 2K15 is a game that disappointed me before I even played it (and I still don't own it). I was VERY interested in the My Career mode in which you create a wrestler and start him / her off at the very bottom and work your way up, as a career mode should do.

Then came the announcement that this mode would not be featured in the X-Box 360 or PS3 versions and I was overcome with the urge to hit things with chairs. There is no reason other than the desire to get people to spend money on the new consoles to leave this mode out, and for that I am most disappointed.

7) L.A Noire - I was loving this game until the last level when it all went a bit Call of Duty: Gumshoe. That and the fact there is zero replayability value and no real reason to get all the collectables.

8) South Park: The Stick of Truth - Just kidding! This game is fucking amazing, pant-pissingly funny and wrong on more levels than Sean Hannity in a defective lift!

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Nazulu said:
DSK- said:
Nazulu said:
2) Starcraft 2, even though I didn't play it as soon as it came out, it had it's ridiculous online DRM. How they span bullshit saying they would make more epic story's if they separate the race missions into 3 expansions, and as expected, the quality of their story and cut-scenes is amazingly corny and lame. Also the forcing of pro strategy's from the previous good game is one of the most retarded things I've seen in all things gaming. Fucking hell! Underground supply depot instead of a fucking gate! Buildings I'm expected to use as walls! Idiots!
I can agree with the story and the DRM, but believe me, walling in in Brood War was infinitely more complicated than it is in SC2.

I suppose the walling in as a concept does seem a little weird, but in lots of competitively-minded games you have to go with accepted strategy if you want to do well and improve yourself.
That's because they weren't meant to wall in Brood War. It's an interesting strategy some clever chaps came up with. So I thought the new Blizzard would combine brain cells and figure that maybe putting walls and gates in would add to the flavour. But no. Lets just build the game around a clever tactic instead of making the base feel like a proper base.

I'm sorry, but it's just fucking stupid. They should focus on making the game clever and functional in an immersive way, because the gaming experts will always find a way to improve their game. There is no stopping them.
I know, I see your point, but having supply depots the way they are (in SC2) made them more useful, so that the option to use them that way was possible.

Similarly, the other races' supply-giving unit/structure, the Overlord and the humble pylon, were given new features and mechanics, respectively, that made them more useful and more intuitive in general.

But I digress. I completely agree with you on the act of walling, because when I first learned of competitive Starcraft I balked at first.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
To be short, my choices are Diablo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Duke Nukem Forever.

-Diablo 3 have a very enjoyable gameplay and interesting playable characters, but the progress of the story and how easy actually is made me a little sad [I read the Book of Cain and that why I had high expectations for this game].

-Metal Gear Solid 4............Kojima really needed to make this game in 3 different games....The story was a confusing clusterf*ck and not very freindly to the new players....like, at all....

-Aaaand Duke Nukem Forever........aaaaaaaAAaaaaaa Duke Nukem why. I was expecting something more glorious than this "meh" game. AT least the DLC was more enjoyable than the actually game....which this is bad.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
DSK- said:
I know, I see your point, but having supply depots the way they are (in SC2) made them more useful, so that the option to use them that way was possible.

Similarly, the other races' supply-giving unit/structure, the Overlord and the humble pylon, were given new features and mechanics, respectively, that made them more useful and more intuitive in general.

But I digress. I completely agree with you on the act of walling, because when I first learned of competitive Starcraft I balked at first.
Oh yeah, I can see more useful and the possibility it could be improved to be a clever strategy. However, they could have made all these supply units more useful in other ways too. They could have made them so they could be carried to be moved, or maybe some upgrades so it can defend itself. Millions of ideas galore.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo 4. I loved Halo, and Halo 4 was meant to be the glorious return of the Master Chief, and the start of a new trilogy under 343. Unfortunately, aside from the graphics (which even had issues), I cannot really think of a redeeming thing about this game. The sound design was awful, the music didn't live up to Marty's score, the armour in multiplayer looked like plastic, the prometheans were frustrating, the final boss was a QTE, the multiplayer had loadouts, Spartan Ops was boring, and forge was broken. This is the pinnacle of everything Halo shouldn't be.

Battlefield 3. To be quite honest, I don't see how Battlefield 3 couldn't have been disappointing. Bad Company 2 is my favourite Battlefield game, and DICE would have had to knock the ball out of the park with 3 for me to have been impressed. Sadly, Battlefield 3 was a gigantic downgrade. The maps were too big, the destruction was too small, operation metro was a thing, the campaign was a huge waste of time, ugh, just awful.

Assassin's Creed 3. My first "oh, Ubisoft" moment. The game took me around a year to get running because it pretty much just refused to run well on AMD GPUs, so I could only play it once I got my new NVidia GPU. AC3 was the first AC game to have a new engine, and the game looked so pretty, unfortunately, the quality in that department didn't carry over to any other aspect of the game. Sure, the combat was fun, but the cities were small both in size and in height (seriously, when your tallest building is a small church, you picked the wrong setting), Connor was boring as hell, the setting was boring as hell, and I struggled to motivate even myself to finish this game. Assassin's Creed used to be one of my favourite franchises, now it is just a shadow of its former self.

Crysis 2. I mean, Crysis 1 was brilliant. Semi-open world, different ways to approach your objectives, and a beautiful jungle setting. How do they follow that up? A linear shooter in a very dull grey city. Crytek dropped the ball.

Red Faction Armageddon. This pretty much follows the same pattern as Crysis. Guerilla was this huge, open world shooter, and then Armageddon 1-up'd it by becoming a painfully short linear shooter in a bunch of caves and tunnels. Oh sorry, did I say "1-up'd"? Oh, I meant "fucked it all up". At least they had the magnet gun, the glove rebuilder thing, and Mr Toots.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Metroid Prime 3: it felt more like a FPS than a proper Metroid adventure. The increased focus on other characters (even with spoken dialogue) made it lose that sense of wonder and isolation that is the series trademark

Metroid: Other M: no explanation needed

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within: it went the mature route and lost all its charm in the process

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: Love the artstyle and setting, but I grew tired of the motion controls real quick. The only Zelda game I never finished

FFXIII: After the fantastic FFXII, this was a major letdown. I still enjoyed it somewhat, but the linearity and lack of towns made it a lackluster chapter in the series overall. The combat system was also disappointing

Max Payne 3: Really thought I'd enjoy this with it's noir influenced story/setting. But the gameplay was utterly frustrating, and as a result I stopped playing it pretty soon.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'm sure all of these have already been mentioned, but what the hell (possible spoilers below):

Diablo 3: God this game was so disappointing. "Let's take the entire concept of creating your own characters by letting you assign attribute and skill points and throw it out the window!". Why why why!? I played through the game as the Monk (just to see the story through) and then went right back to playing Torchlight 2.

Impire: I thought this game was going to be "Dungeon Keeper 3". I was very, very wrong.

Splatterhouse (reboot): I actually still enjoyed this game, but Christ, did they playtest it, even once? It had so many obvious bugs and issues that should have been easily caught during testing, it was so obvious they rushed it out the door as quickly as possible.

Crysis 2: This was one of those games where they decided to fix what wasn't broken. They took a game where you had a huge playground to run around in and made it linear, took it out of a beautiful tropical island setting and stuck it in a city, and took a simple plot and turned it into an overly complex, convoluted mess.

Rage: I still love this game to death, but every time I play I'm reminded how much better it could have been. Better and deeper RPG elements, a better story, a bigger and more interesting wasteland, could have made this one of the best games ever made. Sadly, I'm not sure if we'll ever see a sequel or not.

Uncharted 3: Seriously? That's what the big baddies were chasing after? A big box of LSD? That's the super weapon they traveled around the entire world to find?

Max Payne 3: I get mixing things up, but taking the series out of a gritty, noir-ish New York to stick it in Brazil just felt bizarre and out of place. Likewise, Max seemed to be made out of fine china while the enemies were made out of iron. And seriously, Max can't find a single two handed weapon with a strap on it?

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Don't know if I'll be able to think of a top ten, but a few games that immediately come to mind are (in no particular order)...

Skyrim. I'd been following the game's development since it announced. I thought I was going to have the time of my life with it, especially considering that Oblivion is still one of my favourite games of all time. And I did end up putting many hours into it at first, but aside from a handful of quests such as exploring Blackreach and slaying my first couple dragons, I really didn't get much enjoyment out of Skyrim. I came to the gradual realization that there was nothing to really gain from it. I found the aesthetics of the land itself incredibly boring, the draugr-invested, completely linear dungeons boring, the combat boring, the character models boring...I mean, say what you will about the deformed faces in Oblivion, but at least they were vibrant like the rest of the world. Skyrim is just so unbelievably drab.

I dunno, I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours with Oblivion and I still have urges to go back and play it some more (like this morning, for instance, I woke up with the desire to make another orc and just run around smacking things with a mace), but Skyrim was just so boring for me. Last time I tried to play it, I lasted all of half an hour before feeling like I was about to fall asleep.

BioShock Infinte. Again, another game I'd been excited about for quite awhile. This time I even went so far as to pre-order the collector's edition because I KNEW this would be my game of the year, if not one of the best games I'd ever play. But alas, it was not meant to be. While I can commend Infinite for being an above-average shooter, I cannot forgive the failure to its pedigree. And yes, even though I just said it was above-average for its genre, I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, so I found very little fun to be had with the actual gameplay. Like Skyrim, what I loved so much about its predecessor (the gameplay, level design, world-building, political themes and disturbing if not genuinely frightening atmosphere) was either lacking by comparison or non-existent. Ah well. At least the Songbird statue is still cool.

Final Fantasy XIII. I...ugh. Do I even need to explain this one? I think it's been talked about enough that people get the idea. Moving on.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories. I love Kingdom Hearts. When I heard that they were going to remaster Chain of Memories for the PS2, I was ecstatic. I finally got to learn what went on between 1 and 2 firsthand! And let me tell you, what a fucking slog that was. I'm not going to say it's a terrible game and I'm sure some people out there enjoy it, but I really hated the card battle system. And hey, I'll give them credit for trying something different. Too bad it sucked. Now I have another copy of it with the 1.5/2.5 ReMixes I got last Christmas, but I will not be playing it. I just can't put myself through that kind of torture again. I think the worst part was simply that I felt like I had to get through this game that I was having absolutely no fun playing (and not once, but TWICE; first with Sora and then with Riku) because I was such a huge Kingdom Hearts fan at the time. My sister was too actually, but she gave up pretty early on. She was smart.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly. This was actually the very first PS2 game I played. And since that was my first console, I had no clue what I was doing or what to expect from video games in general, but even so I knew something was amiss. Thankfully I also received A Hero's Tail, so I could play an actually decent game too, but boy...looking back I was lucky I didn't give up on the hobby altogether. Though it's a big shame, really...Enter the Dragonfly could've been okay, even enjoyable for Spyro fans like me, if it hadn't been rushed out the door invested with bugs. I almost went back to play it not long ago when I was on a real Spyro the Dragon bend, but then I thought better of it.

Assassin's Creed III. Unfortunately, I can't give you a detailed breakdown of all the game's faults because I only lasted about three hours, but I can tell you it was one of the most uninteresting three hours of my life. And I can't believe I lasted that long, in hindsight. Real shame. I loved AC2 and went on to love Black Flag, but AC3, please stay far away from me. Sometimes, the reaction a game gives me can only be summed up with "I just don't wanna."

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
FootloosePhoenix said:
Different strokes for different folks and all that (I personally found Oblivion's fairly standard-issue medieval Europe setting incredibly boring, and Skyrim's Viking theme setting great) but have you played the game with mods? It's 1000x better with modding, I can't even imagine playing it vanilla anymore.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Different strokes for different folks and all that (I personally found Oblivion's fairly standard-issue medieval Europe setting incredibly boring, and Skyrim's Viking theme setting great) but have you played the game with mods? It's 1000x better with modding, I can't even imagine playing it vanilla anymore.
Maybe I'm just a sucker for high fantasy, but I thought Cyrodiil had gorgeous and varied environments. You had the snowy mountains to the north, the Gold Coast, the more boggy areas around Leyawiin...Skyrim was all snow, plains and the occasional plateau. I guess it wouldn't have been bad in and of itself, but the game also seemed to have this constantly gloomy atmosphere over it. Exploring Cyrodiil was an adventure. Exploring Skyrim kinda got me down after awhile.

To answer your question, I played both games on PS3, so no mods for me. I actually own the Elder Scrolls anthology as well, but considering my current computer was never intended for gaming and as a result can't even run Rogue Legacy at a decent framerate, there will continue to be no mods for me until I have the money and knowledge to build a new one. Honestly though I'd much rather just play Oblivion or Morrowind. I'd really like to get into Morrowind again once I have a better computer.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
baddude1337 said:
Evonisia said:
2: Halo 4. I've got absolutely nothing new to say here. Expected it to be bad; it was fucking awful. A game that pretends to be continuing the legacy of Master Chief while having absolutely no respect for the previous games, the story or the fan base it's so disgustingly pandering to. A game that makes Halo 3 look like a How To Guide for Original Level Design. A game that pisses over the story of the previous games whilst stealing set pieces from said games. The less said about that multiplayer... thing they included the better.
My main turn off for Halo 4 was the unnecessary redesign of everything. All the covenant enemies, marines, spartans and human weapons looked hideous and disregarded the look of them in the previous games. It was... Eeh. I've never been a fan of Halo gameplay but I do like the lore and the redesign of the basic look of everything offended me.
I've seen this complaint a few times. As cruel as I am to Halo 4, I do find myself being fond of the aesthetic of the game, bar the actual NPCs. Sure it's not like the original games, but even they wildly varied in nitty gritty details. Some of the level design looks nice even if it's not well put together. I don't think I can ever forgive them for butchering the Grunts and Jackals the way they did, though.

If I do have a nitpick on the design other than the overuse of bloom and NPC assault, it was that they changed the Carbine to not display how much ammo you have left. They re-use the Halo 4 Carbine in Halo 2: Anniversary which was a bit sad to say the least.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
In semi-recent memory...

-1- Spore
Seriously. Such high hopes for that game, what we got was just a dumbed down and clearly cut back and incomplete game.

-2- Saints Row III/IV
Saints Row 2 is one of my favorite games of all, and I think the direction taken afterwards was the wrong. Decently fun, but I've not logged even quarter the hours on both 3 and 4 that I spent on 2 alone.

-3- Elder Scrolls Online
Laggy, broken, buggy, incomplete game that didn't capture any of the spirit of the Elder Scrolls series.

Seriously. Such high hopes for that game, what we got was just a dumbed down and clearly cut back and incomplete game.

-4- Civilzation: Beyond Earth
Reskin of Civ V. The lured me in with claims of it being a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. It is not.

-5- Star Wars: The Old Republic
Game instantly fell apart at max level. Once the story was over, game was done. You can't be a Jedi/Sith Lord and get whooped by some pirate or bandit just because he's "elite" and the raids weren't all that interesting to me. Bloated character skills yet lack of tools to do your job, especially as a tank.

-6- Diablo III
No Necromancer? WTF! Also, the Auction House. Diablo was too easy to beat, especially considering the beast he was in Diablo II. Probably most of all is the restricted console-bullshit skill slotting and usage.

-7- Grand Theft Auto V Online
Buggy, cheater infested, and boring.

-8- Aliens Colonial Marines
All LIES. Nuff' said.

-9- Dragon Age II
Good characters (mostly) but meh story. Shit level design. Stupid combat encounters with enemies just teleporting in.

-10- Arma 3
Was hoping they'd increase the user friendliness of the UI and the editor, and make the overall feel less clunky. Nope.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Diablo 3.
Blizzard did what Blizzard does: take someone else's idea and polish it to a perfect shine. WoW wasn't the first MMO but it remains the most popular. Starcraft wasn't the first RTS but it was so good it became the industry benchmark for a decade. This time it's like they polished and polished and polished until nothing is left. It's a very pretty game, but it feels empty and soulless. The final boss is so anemic I beat him with multiple characters without dying, a pitiful substitute for the epic pants-shitting battle in 2 that left me feeling like I really had just killed the Devil himself. An HD rerelease of 2 would have been so much better.

Oblivion.
There's something deeply wrong with any game that makes leveling up a process of downgrading rather than upgrading. They tell you you can develop your character any way you like, but if you play anything other than a straight-up combat beast, you will be outmatched so severely you'll break multiple weapons trying to kill a single monster. The goblins I killed easily at level two are now Raging Barbarian Goblin Shaman Boss Motherfuckers that absolutely school me. Also it ruins the immersion when town guards are tougher than demon lords. Thoroughly bad design.

Resident Evil.
Impossible controls, awful cameras, and voice acting so bad it's not even 'so bad it's good.' RE4 isn't much better. I've been duped by this series twice now!

Counterstrike (and CoD to a lesser extent). Spawn, leave safe room, get headshotted from god knows where, wait for next round. Spawn, leave safe room, get headshotted from god knows where, wait for next round. Repeat until you quit the game.

Smash Bros.
Several friends raved about how deep and exciting this series is. As near as I can tell, it's half a step up from button mashing, performed at ridiculous speed with so many special effects you lose track of your own character. Does absolutely nothing for me.

Dead Rising 2.
The sandbox elements would be fun if you could get away from the goddamned mission timer for a few hours. You are constantly interrupted with the need to be in some part of the mall by X time so a mission can happen. On more than one occasion I believe it was physically impossible to traverse the distance in time, which means it's game over, sucker! Decide to ignore the mission because you're having fun? Game over, sucker! It's like two different teams designed two completely different games, then mashed them together and released them without any thought as to whether they were compatible or not.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Saints Row The Third: Such a letdown after Saints Row 2. The story was blatantly padded with side missions that the game tried to pass of as main missions and it still ended up considerably shorter than Saints Row 2 and even Saints Row 1. That the world wasn't nearly as fun to explore and the side missions were considerably less varied than SRIIs didn't help.

Grand Theft Auto V: It's not bad by any means and I still rather enjoyed it but compared to GTA IV which might very well be one of my favourite games of all time it seemed kinda lackluster which is a shame because it had the potential to be even better than IV. But sadly it wasn't. The story was short and incoherent, the world was pretty but only used about half of its location and the side content was too repetetive and spread itself too thin.

Bioshock Infinite:The original Bioshock was a good game with an amazing setting, one of the best antagonists in gaming, a focus on exploration, a good variety of different weapons and and just enough variety to be more than just a generic action game. Bioshock Infinite was a dull shooter where you run through linear levels and shoot people.It still had a great setting and some really neat visuals but the gameplay was dull, the leveldesign so linear and the story so unapologetically pretentious that I couldn't help but wonder what happened between Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.

Metroid: Other M: Hey, how about we ruin a perfectly good series flawless track record by giving it's most recent installation an absurdly bad story with entirely unlikeable characters played by people lacking any sort of talent? And while we're at it we could also abandon Metroid Primes gameplay for something much, much worse!

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: The first two Paper Marios are among my happiest childhood memories, they have a charme in their visuals, in their writing and in their characters that few other games have. Sticker Star replaces all of that Charme with blandness and boredom.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: Seriously, how do you manage to fuck up Zelda? Why would you ever think giving the the series that invented Open World gaming linear corridor levels would be a good idea? It just boggles the mind, it really does. What would give you the idea Zelda needed a stamina bar? Who could ever look at Phi and think she's a likeable character? It's just baffling how this game ever got made.

The Wonder of the net

chasing ninjas and giant robots
Mar 12, 2011
10. Assassins creed unity. Obvious major tech reasons aside, the story from how... half way I went in felt wanting of something more along a hook. "It's assassins creed" is not a hook or a excuse to show how bad it is, the idea of basically 3D modeling our world is something I like to see.

9. Call of duty: Advanced Warfare. Call it nit picking or me cursing the roundness of my eyes but this is low on my list for the reason that titan fall is off this list; I want a gundam game that is first person, so bad that if I spoke the language and had the money I would have bought a japanese xbox 360 for the battlefield styled Gundam game.

8 Chrome hounds. See 9. Though by the time I got it the learning curve was so high that it made it a feat to even get a unit that actually lived past the first salvo, it made me hope again for giant robot games that would never come out.

7. Armord core 5. the game could have been fun, the ideas were good, they just stripped all of what made the game series its own game. The fighting was slow, the weapons were bare, and I couldn't even use a feature like sniping as much because the designs for the levels just were too cramped, no sense in giving us so many of them.

6. Halo Reach. it didn't just end... It kept halo going with master chief and what I really would have liked to see purely from the sales of halo reach was a separate entire story using the spartans in the earlier parts of the war.

5. Metroid: other M. Taking the hatred for what they made Samus to be, the game play sucked. Everything was clunky, too many bugs with controls, and ultimately the designs were nothing but boring.

4. Any sonic game made after Adventure 2. I kept with sonic because it was the first game me and my brother could play together and I didn't feel like I was hindering him. My brother dropped off sonic and thats fine, I get that but when I played the old sonic games I was not being hand held. Adventure 2 held my hand but I did not play one so it eased me into the 3D idea.

3. Most anime fighting games by Cyber connect. I love cyber connect when it came to the Dot hack games, they tried their best to keep within the world established by the game, holding your hand for the first fight then when you learned new stuff it would smack you on the head telling you to do better. But when they got into making the fighting games it kinda lost me mainly because I would only buy the new Dragon Ball games if there was a reason, not just nestaga for the anime but if they had every character from the show.

2. Echo the dolphin. Just really hard, really frustrating, never could beat it.

1. MS: saga. Apart from the gundam universe used in such a way that made me almost tear my hair out, the game had the hugest difficulty spikes when it came to the xemal. To this day I have not beaten that game but I wana go back, just disappointed now that all the added gundams that have came out won't be in the game... Maybe if they make a new game with the same idea and bring it to next gen.