Your toughest Skyrim battle

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Everyone really had that much trouble with that Frost troll near High Hrothgar?

I mean I was barely level 15 at the time, playing on Expert before moving it down one level because I kept getting slughtered in dungeons. I literally just walked over to the cliff, waited for him to come close, dodged around him and then Ice-Frmed his ass. He just rolled right off the cliff and died, no trouble at all.

Nov 24, 2011
I decided to go after Volsung's mask at around level 28. On the way through the dungeon, near the end, I ran into a draugr deathlord sitting on a throne. My character was actually very well rounded and was an equal mix of one-hand knight and cloak and dagger assassin. I had left Lydia at the entrance to the dungeon so she wouldn't impede my stealth. Having sneaked through the rest of the dungeon, I decided to just be stealthy and lodge an arrow in this dormant ************'s face. I let the arrow fly, the deathlord woke up, disarmed me with a shout and began advancing. I scrabbled to pick up my bow from the ground and got attacked while doing so. His first two hits took down half my health. I used the marked for death shout to snap his armor and switched to a gout of two-handed flame. It did virtually no damage. I equipped my ebony sword and mace and just started wailing on him. The next five minutes were spent strafing, whittling away at this tank's health, and chugging health and fortify one-handed potions. When I finally killed him, I sighed with relief and looted him for a sword with a unique enchantment. This guy was such a pain in my ass, Volsung went down easier! Oh, did I mention this was on apprentice difficulty?

Suicida1 Midget

Jun 11, 2011
You know that dragon priest, the one with the staff of mangus? Well i stumbled apon him at lvl 8ish with no points in health. No matter what i did, lightning shocks, runes, fire, ice, atroches, it would just laugh and turn against me. After seven retrys, i started to use my magicka draining bow, then the most amazing thing happened, my game bugged out. Trapping our buddy unable to turn the needed 23 degrees to blast me with instadeath. Using my bow i ran through my iron, steel, and most of my nord arrows until he died.

Second toughest goes the deadra that would sync thier flame clouds of death at you.

Nov 24, 2011
SweetLiquidSnake said:
Mine was probably Malkoran in Meridia's quest. You've finally made your way through this huge dungeon and you see this necromancer standing at the other end of the room, but once you engage him you notice he has a 6-Dragur posse and they all attack at once. I had to barricade the doorway with myself and Lydia and just spammed the spark spell til all his guards died. Unfortunately Malkoran has an incredibly powerful Frost Spell that goes through walls, can knock half your health out and freeze you in place. What's worse is that once you finally defeat him in human form, his spectral form comes out and you gotta face that, no breaks.

I think I died at least 6 times, and had to load up on potions (bows do more damage) and use Lydia as a distraction for most of the fight. Fun quest though.
Ha! I actually have a really funny story about that. When I finally got to that room, I just stood in the door, shot a stealth arrow that killed Malkoran instantly, waited for all the shades to rush the door, and used the ice form shout to freeze all of them solid. Then Lydia and I just had to wail on some ice statues.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Krosis.
I was only maybe level 14 at the time, I swear that bastard killed me at least 10 times. That fight was tough considering all he had to do was get three consecutive hits and I was down. I ended up having to spend more than half the fight cowering behind pillars and healing myself.
The guy was annoying as hell too, anytime I actually did get into range to hit him with my weapons, he just kept kiting and killing me with fireballs. Only way I could even hit him was to charge into range, use my slowing shout, hit him with a double-power attack and then run for cover before he could turn me into a red smear adorning the rocks.

I got so desperate I just started trying to hit him with the Wabbajack, turns out that's what won me the fight. I hit him with it, and he turns into a rabbit. So then I just bum rushed him, slowed time, and hit him with everything I had. Turns out it wasn't enough because once I hit him he turned back, and I couldn't kill him in one rush so I had to polymorph him again to get close enough and finish it.

Though the first time I fought a Blood Dragon was tough, but I wouldn't really consider that a fight, since after killing me 3 times I realized I had no chance and just ran halfway across Skyrim, Benny Hill theme music playing in my head, until it got distracted by some bandits and I managed to lose it.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Playing on novice, killing guards/ letting them damage me, therevwas about 7 and i was running, out of potions and magic, anxient dragon shows up, i dispatxh the now distracted guards and manage to kill the dragon with one hit worth of hp left using a two handed sword which was at lvl 23. srry spelling, on phone

danirax

Jan 11, 2011
2 ancient dragons, deathoverlord, 4 deathlords a legion of skeletons and a bunch of other stuff (frost trolls, whispmother, wolfs, etc) its was like a real battle field.
chased a dragon in the direction of some surface ruin without noticing the undead and beasts pile up behind me,once I got there I found a whispmother deathoverlord 4 death lord and another dragon.
Edit: im playing on master... however im not always so lucky....

BrownBunny

Dec 10, 2011
Wow reading everyone's post reminds me of all the times I died and tried again. My tough one is right now with the last Dragon Priest I found he is protected like a mofo among soo many deathlords. I'm pissed off the just get to surrounding me and my follower is down and my magic is down. My health will be fine but I guess it's the two or three that hit me at once and I'm dead. Sux because I'm a level 34 and they are an issue. I can take down dragons but these guys are a pain. I just want the mask.

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
I'm a stealth character using the x30 sneak damage attack mostly. After somehow sneak killing the dragon priest I entered Sovengarde and was confronted with the big brute standing guard where he challenged me to honorable open combat. I don't do open combat! I sneak behind you and stab you! Needless to say that my lack of awesome when fighting fairly and using all my healing potions on the way there left me on the edge of my seat as I somehow managed to run away long enough for my health, magic and stamina to regenerate each time I wanted to land a hit on him.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I may have already posted in this thread, but i just recently ran into an ancient dragon (im level 35) and i have to say, i didn't stand a chance, i was killed in less than 2 seconds while i was healing, so i guess this is the toughest for me.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
The toughest one so far for me would boil down to two:

The battle alongside the Grey-Manes against the Thalmor at Northwatch Keep, while I was at a very fledgeling level. I actually had to load an earlier save game and re-try it because, while we won the initial battle with two casualties, it became nigh impossible to continue deeper into the keep with just me and Avulstein, so I had to re-fight it several times to keep the other two alive as long as possible. In the end, we came out alright with only one casualty.

The other was one I just fought this morning. I am level 21 now, so obviously much stronger and experienced than I was before, but anyways it was Lydia and I against two giants, as part of a Whiterun bounty from the Jarl's steward. Since we don't use magic or archery, it was quite a struggle. Fortunately, being a Redguard, the adrenaline power really helped me alot as the shield-bash was more or less essential for me to not get one-hit killed by the giants. Well, we came out alright and got 100 gold pieces from the steward... 100 gold pieces? I got more than that from just looting one of the giants corpses. Gah.

willis888

May 18, 2010
The Moroki Dragonpriest fight was the most difficult I've been in (was lvl 13-14 at the time, with 140-160 health, I forget exactly). I'd just hide from him until I had full mana, then activate Slow Time shout and hit him with a few spells, then go back into hiding before time resumed it's normal speed. I could only survive one hit from him, with a sliver of health left. IIRC he killed me 3 times before I found a strategy that worked. The first time I just went in blasting and chugging potions (eventually ran out of potions and died), then I tried staying at long range and dodging (lightning is too fast to dodge reliably), then I tried stunning him with Unrelenting Force (it didn't last long enough and I got blasted to cinders before reaching a safe location).

Gemannihilator

Jan 28, 2011
Probably Morokei in the Academy Quest line. He would 3 shot me into Oblivion every time so I loaded up an old save, did a bunch of quests and leveled up a few times, fought my way back to him then continued to get 3 shotted. So I decided to at least run past him to the exit so I could get back there easier next time. Which is when I discovered his exploit, by going a bit down the next corridor, he would just ignore me and head back to where he started, so I just took pot-shots with lightning bolt until I killed him.

Not the most noble of victories, but seriously, fuck that guy.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Getting the dammed thing to run. Seriously. It was an epic battle. I fought the config files, i foung the drives and i had to fight the settings eventually. Still crashed.
LoL^^

Seriously mine was an ice troll (Kind of stupid that a troll is harder to kill than a dragon).

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
Malkoran, the boss of the Meridia daedra quest line. I was maybe lvl 13 or so, just about the right amount of challenge for most of it. Except for Malkoran. Jackass was 2-shotting me with his frost magic, even if I was just kinda near the path of the frostbolts. It was only through some fancy footwork (read: running back and forth like a frightened deer) and shouting FUS RO at him that I finally got him into his wraith form. Cue me dual-wield hacking away like a maniac while eating the comparatively weak fire magic. I was so tunnel-visioned I was swinging a few seconds after he was dead.
Sweet sword for a reward, though, that was worth very nearly rage-quitting.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
At the end of Meridia's shrine thingy getting the Dawnbreaker....fucking raaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeee!!! I just couldn't win using my normal method, ended up using 3 Fire Storm scrolls and accidentally killed Faendal in the process :(

Shawn Morrison

Feb 3, 2012
The hardest battle I would think, is after the main quest if you are finishing up The Blades storyline, and it tells you to kill Parthunax or whatever his name is, head of the Graybeards guy. The reason it is so hard is because there are about 15 dragons at the Throat of the World after you kill Alduin. You attack one and they all go after you.