BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chris wearing a turtleneck.
Don't forget Boulder punching action. As much as I love to admit it, Jake and Ethan get the most development compared to a majority of the protagonists in the series. Sherry got character development too, but neither her, nor Jake will ever show up again. Hell, even Albert Wesker got the most characters development out of all the villains.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
'To the Moon' isn't heartwarming. It's actually rather creepy and the fact that people get warm fuzzies from rewriting an old man's memories so he can live out a fantasy is kinda disturbing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
'To the Moon' isn't heartwarming. It's actually rather creepy and the fact that people get warm fuzzies from rewriting an old man's memories so he can live out a fantasy is kinda disturbing.
I don't know what any of that is.

House of the Dead III gets way too much hate. While it has its weak moments, I still got more playtime on it than Overkill. I am not knocking Overkill, but once I beat the game, get the most powerful shotgun, I felt rarely a reason to go back and play again. Aside from the cut-scenes I can find online.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The Evil Within (at least on PC with a DualSense) plays more smoothly than any Resident Evil. Yup, even the Remakes. What makes it off-putting for most people is the more claustrophobic camera (which feels often appropriate), and tacky upgrade system which hamstrings the player moreso than typical survival horror mechanics.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Evil Within (at least on PC with a DualSense) plays more smoothly than any Resident Evil. Yup, even the Remakes. What makes it off-putting for most people is the more claustrophobic camera (which feels often appropriate), and tacky upgrade system which hamstrings the player moreso than typical survival horror mechanics.
As much as I appreciate it, that was after all the patches and bug fixes. Before that, the first Evil Within was super rough; especially on pc. They had to put in a patch to remove the letter boxing. The letter boxing actually interfered with the gameplay and made things worse.

Playing the 360 version without any patches or updates, is by far the worst version though.

EW2 smooths out the controls even further, and honestly more survival horror games should take from it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I don't know what any of that is.

House of the Dead III gets way too much hate. While it has its weak moments, I still got more playtime on it than Overkill. I am not knocking Overkill, but once I beat the game, the most powerful shotgun, I felt rarely a reason to go back and play again. Aside from the cut-scenes I can find online.
It's not your type of game anyway.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
My hot take is- Starfield looks pretty cool!

But that's because I don't expect it to be any more than a decent fun space game. The hype cycle for this one threatens to put CyberPunk to shame. It seems that all the kool kidz are all into shitting on Starfield, which kinda sucks honeslty.

Yes yes, no pre-ordering or excessive hype, sure, but also the opposite is silly. If it comes out and is shit, let's all shit on it. But if offers space adventures and some cool quests, it'll be good, so everyone calm down.

I don't mean you, forum readers, calm down, I mean like youtube videos populating my feed about how the gameplay looks bad. wtf there's no gameplay yet, lol

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
"Final Fantasy Tactics is not only a subpar strategy RPG, its not even in the top 5 of its generation."

*how to get banned from a subreddit in one sentence*
I think more people were impressed by it's super backstabby(and frontstabby and sidestabby) political plot then the gameplay, to be honest Because video games, especially at the times, rarely did that sort of thing. Which is why it's kind of a shame it goes back to "magic rocks turn people into demons" fantasy bullshit in the final act.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I think more people were impressed by it's super backstabby(and frontstabby and sidestabby) political plot then the gameplay, to be honest Because video games, especially at the times, rarely did that short of thing. Which is why it's kind of a shame it goes back to "magic rocks turn people into demons" fantasy bullshit in the final act.
Well in its defense, I think they say the rocks only turn you what you were gonna be so all the shitty assholes end up being demons. Granted I'm literally at that point in the game where I've killed the first two of the priest/leaders turned demon so I don't know where it goes from here, although they have already introduced the

"guy in every final fantasy game whos behind the scenes and is the real final boss with murky reasons for anything they did in the game" character.

Speaking of which Sephiroth is a dumb villain. Theres your hot take.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
"Final Fantasy Tactics is not only a subpar strategy RPG, its not even in the top 5 of its generation."

*how to get banned from a subreddit in one sentence*
I demand to know the top 5.

God I wish Kartia got a rerelease

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Speaking of which Sephiroth is a dumb villain. Theres your hot take.
I don't think he was always dumb but he's definitely become so since then when he become the ultimate nihilist goth bishonen due to the spinoff games and the movies. To be fair, my direct exposure to FF7 was pretty much the original which I played in the late 1990's and I saw Advent Children once like a decade ago.

Everything else is 2nd hand. I missed pretty much all the compilation stuff.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I demand to know the top 5.

God I wish Kartia got a rerelease
I think my problem is I honestly dont even consider FFT a true strategy RPG, but going from that generation GEN/SNES, obviously not including actually strategy games like Nobunagas Ambition, in no particular order
  1. Front Mission
  2. Shining Force II
  3. Langrisser
  4. Tactics Ogre
  5. Fire Emblem
Thats literally just naming some I know. I feel like Im missing one I really liked but its not coming to me. I never played Kartia. I need to put that on my play list, Ive never heard of it.

What bugs me is if you include like Sega Saturn playstation etc, theres a ton of better Strategy RPGs, but I accidently clicked one of those dumb kotaku whatever lists the other day that actually declared FFT has the best Strategy RPG of all time, I about lost my shit.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I don't think he was always dumb but he's definitely become so since then when he become the ultimate nihilist goth bishonen due to the spinoff games and the movies. To be fair, my direct exposure to FF7 was pretty much the original which I played in the late 1990's and I saw Advent Children once like a decade ago.

Everything else is 2nd hand. I missed pretty much all the compilation stuff.
The real problem with Sephiroth is that people came away from Final Fantasy VII thinking he was the villain of Final Fantasy VII when he...really wasn't. Most of the game, he was asleep. He doesn't even wake up until the WEAPONs do, although he exerts his illusions before then. Hell, he doesn't even kill Aerith. That was Jenova using Sephiroth's image. 90% of the time in the first disc you see him, it's actually Jenova, who is much more the villain than Sephiroth. But Sephiroth looked cool and had a big sword, so bam.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The real problem with Sephiroth is that people came away from Final Fantasy VII thinking he was the villain of Final Fantasy VII when he...really wasn't. Most of the game, he was asleep. He doesn't even wake up until the WEAPONs do, although he exerts his illusions before then. Hell, he doesn't even kill Aerith. That was Jenova using Sephiroth's image. 90% of the time in the first disc you see him, it's actually Jenova, who is much more the villain than Sephiroth. But Sephiroth looked cool and had a big sword, so bam.
Only furthe proof of my point why Eve is superior.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This hot take is aimed at Gaming Slopes, and some other YT critics, but Final Vendetta is not this second coming or "true successor/sequel" to Streets of Rage or Final Fight. The game has cool combat mechanics and an awesome soundtrack, but lots of fake difficulty and padding greatly holds the game back. There is only arcade mode, and no continues. To unlock the other modes, you have to beat arcade mode. That includes the training mode. Who the fuck does that?! The only difficulty options are Easy and Hard, changing the amount of lives. Ultra difficulty can only be unlocked by playing Hard with the slowest character. Again, it's backwards, stupid, and is just padding for the sake of it. In Streets of Rage 4, no matter what difficulty you started on Story Mode, and who you played as, once you beat the game, Arcade Mode and Mania difficulty was unlocked. That is how you do accessibility options.

I know Slopes had some disappointments with SOR4, and still considers SOR2 the better game. I disagree heavily, but the man is titled to his opinions. I can't help, but feel that SOR4 disappointed him too much, yet he does not want to fully admit it and looking for something to fill the void. There are other games that are better "successors": The TakeOver and Fight n' Rage.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think more people were impressed by it's super backstabby(and frontstabby and sidestabby) political plot then the gameplay, to be honest Because video games, especially at the times, rarely did that sort of thing. Which is why it's kind of a shame it goes back to "magic rocks turn people into demons" fantasy bullshit in the final act.
I also like how Tactics Advance was about growing up, not running from your problems and not living in a dream world. Most plots like that frustrate me but in Advance they made it work for me.