Your video game hot take(s) thread

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So it's the same jump, but the game is just trying to psych you out. The squares that aren't missing are pretty much in the same position as they were with the squares underneath them in 8-1.
See, I *know* that, but I cannot believe it

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Fairly massive Guilty Gear Strive Bridget spoilers:
As of Strive, Bridget has realized she's trans

Gonna be an interesting time. Because they know their audience, ArcSys had her turn directly into the camera and state that she's a girl with zero ambiguity

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Gonna be an interesting time. Because they know their audience, ArcSys had her turn directly into the camera and state that she's a girl with zero ambiguity
I kind of get why you put this in the hot takes, but a majority of fans are reacting positively from what I've seen on YouTube comments. Mainly on gameplay videos or reactions to her arcade mode story.

The worst Double Dragon games are almost any iteration of III, but the NES version takes the cake. Technically, the GB version is the worst, but at least you get multiple lives. The best of version of DD II is the Turbografx-16/PC Engine version.

Raiden V is a good game, and while give credit for trying with a story, it's so forgettable and in the background, that I really wish they did not even bother. Speaking of SHMUPs, Radiant Silvergun is way too difficult. I praise the story and what Treasure did in making a dark storyline, but good luck seeing it without skill or unlimited continues.

I never cared much for Mega Man: Battle Network series. I did enjoy the anime.

Not gonna lie, Sega Genesis Mini 2 (US version) looks really underwhelming, and I am almost losing interest. I am waiting for the rest of the list. If they do not put Final Fight CD on there like Japanese version of the Mini, I am not bothering with it and rather stick with what I already own.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I kind of get why you put this in the hot takes, but a majority of fans are reacting positively from what I've seen on YouTube comments. Mainly on gameplay videos or reactions to her arcade mode story.
Hey, I'm glad. The FGC's come a long way recently. Now they just need to have Guilty Gear Strive come out on the Xbox or Switch 'cause I'm not buying a new PS4 game in 2022 and Steam is bad for couch co-op

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hey, I'm glad. The FGC's come a long way recently. Now they just need to have Guilty Gear Strive come out on the Xbox or Switch 'cause I'm not buying a new PS4 game in 2022 and Steam is bad for couch co-op
Not gonna happen unfortunately. I know some of the older GG games on XBOX and 360, with the best version of Accent Core on Switch, but Arc System has been bed with Sony for so long, and they are stubborn about it. And by they, I mean Arc System. The PC's online and offline works great from what I've seen and heard (and depending on your rig, etc). Ironic enough, the PS5 version of Strive is technically the worst version because of slight input delay, online or offline.

Strive has a million units sold now, so something might be possible, but don't get your expectations too high.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Fair

Here's a Bridget hot take: her being trans kinda proves her god right

Like, Bridget was in a set of male twins, which the god of the area proclaims that male twins bring great misfortune. So Bridget was raised as a girl, which never really stuck. "He" ran around trying to prove that it was old superstition, which led to to "him" becoming an expert and successful bounty hunter, proving the prophecy false...but "he" still wasn't happy. Complicated gender feeling later, and turns out her parents didn't actually have a set of male twins.

I dunno, seemed fun in an old school mythology "can't cheat fate" sense

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

*sigh* I'm just gonna quote what someone else said on Reddit and peace out.

Honestly I find the trend of pushing representation for one marginalized group by stealing the representation of another marginalized group to be insanely toxic. Bridget already filled a niche as far as representation goes, cis men who embraced feminity who still valued being men (the femboy if you will), defying gender roles and actively fighting for one's gender identity.

I personally think that's a form of gender expression that's just as valid (and vulnerable) as full on trans, and Bridget was a character that could really resonate for such people. Not only that but it was part of his story, pretty much his entire character motivation, to prove that he could be a man even if he was raised to be feminine. It's not just a jarring shift in character, but if you wanted to take a message from it, it'd be an incredibly toxic one, where society enforces a gender role onto you, literally under the threat of death, and despite initially doing everything in your power to defy it you just go along with it in the end anyways.

Imagine actually watching or reading a story that plays out that way. Imagine tweaking the genders slightly so that it was a trans person who decided they were cis after all and that's the happy ending. It seems like the exact opposite of what the LGBTQ should be fighting for as far as representation goes.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
*sigh* I'm just gonna quote what someone else said on Reddit and peace out.
Lmao, 20 years of "are traps gay" and "everyone's gay for Bridget" and people want to pretend they're losing representation. Don't worry, they still have Astolfo, Chitose, and every other trans girl that *doesn't* turn directly into the camera and say "I'm a girl". Like, name one other femboy that got "stolen" and turned into a trans girl. Where's the trend?

So, here's the thing: Bridget's parents were so bad at grooming that they convinced a trans girl that she was 100% male for a decade. Only *after* proving that superstition about same gendered twins was bogus nonsense did her parents back off and she was finally allowed to unspool her feelings about herself without outside influence.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
In addition to what GX just said, I've talked with actual trans people who are over the moon about Bridget being outed as trans, and say her character arc is completely consistent with actual trans experiences. I'll take their word over keyboard anti-woke people who now are probably even more worried about finding Bridget hot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You know, for all that's wrong with gacha games, they really do employ some damn good artists because there's a lot of really beautiful artwork in a lot of them.
That's the idea. It's how they hook in the suckers and rubes paying customers. The rule 34 and erotic fan artist too, but that is a given at this point. Though the fan artists are mainly there for "research".

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That's the idea. It's how they hook in the suckers and rubes paying customers. The rule 34 and erotic fan artist too, but that is a given at this point. Though the fan artists are mainly there for "research".
Yes the r34 is a big part of it but even outside of that there's some really cool artwork. Don't get me wrong, it's in service to something bad, but I still gotta admire the skill I see in the art.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dark levels can never and will never be enjoyable in a video game. I can get the concept of wanting a dark level. You can set a different mood and make really striking visuals between light and dark. I've always been interested in the concept, but I just played a game that really went all in on it and, did so fairly well, but it just doesn’t work to play. Since sight, unlike real life, is basically your only sense in a video game once you take that away you just have no way of knowing where you are going. There’s no way to just feel your way along and it sucks. It just takes longer to explore a level. You just need to walk slower, and take more time to look everywhere with your little pinprick of light. Also once the screen turns mostly black then you are just staring at the reflections in your screen and it can only serve to take you out of the experience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dark levels can never and will never be enjoyable in a video game. I can get the concept of wanting a dark level. You can set a different mood and make really striking visuals between light and dark. I've always been interested in the concept, but I just played a game that really went all in on it and, did so fairly well, but it just doesn’t work to play. Since sight, unlike real life, is basically your only sense in a video game once you take that away you just have no way of knowing where you are going. There’s no way to just feel your way along and it sucks. It just takes longer to explore a level. You just need to walk slower, and take more time to look everywhere with your little pinprick of light. Also once the screen turns mostly black then you are just staring at the reflections in your screen and it can only serve to take you out of the experience.
For me at least, it depends on the game. I will say, that ironic enough, most 2D games seems to get darkness right or play around with it correctly. I love the lighting and games like Donkey Kong Country or Vectorman as far as 3D example goes Alan Wake, and Shadows of the Damned know how to do darkness right. RE2 REMAKE got this right most of the time, but it could be a pain depending on your screen or TV settings. I did have to crank up the brightness a little over halfway. RE3 REMAKE handled darkness better. It still had some dark parts and lighting, but not to the point where I had to adjust the brightness as much.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Oh dear lord, I thought I was the only one. I hate darkness, I'm just squinting.
Most recently I tried playing Inside and I just literally couldn't see half of it, gave up and watched the rest on youtube.

It's really annoying because I like fantasy settings and that always means some damn caves. One of the reasons I don't replay Elden Ring even though I think about it sometimes is how much of it is in caves and mines and I just can't even.
Even my beloved Witcher 3 has dark caves and at least there are a couple of options on how to deal with it but just, no thanks.

It's why horror games are just a no from me- it's just dark, dark, dark.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh dear lord, I thought I was the only one. I hate darkness, I'm just squinting.
Most recently I tried playing Inside and I just literally couldn't see half of it, gave up and watched the rest on youtube.

It's really annoying because I like fantasy settings and that always means some damn caves. One of the reasons I don't replay Elden Ring even though I think about it sometimes is how much of it is in caves and mines and I just can't even.
Even my beloved Witcher 3 has dark caves and at least there are a couple of options on how to deal with it but just, no thanks.

It's why horror games are just a no from me- it's just dark, dark, dark.
I made a point early on to have my lantern equipped to a dpad slot :)