Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hades does not have enough gameplay content to justify the length of its story.

There are not nearly enough bosses or boss variations to keep the game interesting to play and it takes too many runs of the game to get all of the dialogue and conclude all of the side content. Even now the game still feels like an early access game because there's only 4 bosses with only a couple of variations, and the variations don't really tend to make you fight them in a significantly different way.

The game feels really good, the writing and the writing and characters are great, but there's not enough boss or environment variety to make me want to keep playing to actually experience all of the great writing. I probably would have much rather had more bosses and less complexity to each boss (Binding of Isaac style).
To add to this: I have no interest in the rogue-like/rouge-lite genre in general. I see the appeal, but I find it too frustrating and too much of a waste of time. The only exception where I've enjoyed this type of genre, is the DLC mode, Mr X's Nightmare. Even that mode has its own issues.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This one comes from trying out Tunic...

Challenging, unforgiving combat that requires re-trying areas and bosses to progress while improving your skill and expertise at the game? Cool.
A complicated puzzl-y world that requires figuring out where everything is, exploring, carefully looking around and remember where everything is? Cool.

But... pick one!
Putting both together is some bullshit, IMO.
Tunic is like that- oh, it's like old Zelda games! Ok but the appeal with exploration is that you can pretty much go anywhere to patiently figure stuff out. Tunic on the other hand gives you swarms of enemies and you get killed in two shots. So if I need to check and area I passed by more carefully I first have to clear it of all the enemies because of course they respawn, Souls-style. But the combat is pretty lame (even positive reviews say so), so it's shit combat, over and over, in the way of actually exploring.
And I can't even run past enemies consistently.

This was also my problem with Hollow Knight- tough combat AND touch platforming AND also backtracking to explore? These are conflicting gameplay properties that server only to frustrate players (though, obviously, not all players as these games are beloved).

At least with Ori and Celeste, two other games I quit, the focus is on platforming not combat so the total experience is coherent.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To aspiring brawler developers: basing your game off of Final Fight or Streets of Rage, is no longer a free pass or ride. If that's all you're doing, but adding nothing new to the genre, and just making your games difficult for the sake of being difficult without much balance, then we have issues. You're not moving beyond the old school and improving the formula, you just doing the same mistakes that was done in the past. You can claim old school all you want, but if there's not much difference, or not much stands out, you're going to just end up being like those other brawlers from the '80s and '90s that faded into obscurity by being weak clones.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I've got a spicy one.

Gordon Freeman being treated like a Savior in Half LIfe 2 is annoying, but it also makes some sense from a narrative viewpoint. Gordon was basically a junior lab researcher in Half Life, so much that he got the shit work of hand pushing unknown materials into giant energy beams which could have easily killed him. He's also lucky enough to be wearing the HEV suit when the catastrophe erupts(yes, he helped cause it) so he's got a lot more protection against the shitfest the Black Mesa Facility becomes over the next few days. Against all odds, he takes on both the aliens and the military to the point the military is more pissed at him then at the aliens they're supposed to be there hunting and he still wins out in the end. Then the entire facility goes up in a nuclear blast and Freeman just vanishes for close to 20 years, no doubt presumed dead.

He shows up in a world that has been completely devastated and oppressed by alien overlords to the point all meaningful military resistance to the invasion was crushed within 7 hours of the invasion beginning and the remains of humanity are more or less confined to the numbered cities and prevented to even give birth by the suppression field. The only meaningful way to move up in quality of life(if you can call it that) is to collaborate with the combine and become one of the oppressors. It's a pretty bleak ass dystopia with little hope left and suddenly, Gordon Freeman shows up again, as if from the fucking dead(which no doubt everyone assumed he was). The guy who the few Black Mesa survivors remember as being the guy who took on the military, the aliens and a nuclear fucking blast, survived and still doesn't look a day older then the last time they saw him has got to look like a fucking miracle to them and no wonder he becomes so quickly mythologized amongst the people you meet. Yeah, as a video game PC, the one man army is standard, but the NPCs probably see it as some kind of mythological hero come to save them from evil. Especially in a world where there's little hope left. Is it a little cheesy, sure? But it's not a complete ass pull either and I feel it gets shit on a little too much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You have some points Yahtzee, but you are part of the problem. I don't like to blame the audience on anything, but y'all keep buying RE4 on every console, Android, and PC imaginable. That's part of the reason why Capcom is remaking it in the first place. People love RE2 Remake, and most people like RE3 Remake! Why are you this upset or surprised?! What the hell you think was going to happen? You even admitted that you have nostalgia bias, so it shouldn't be this surprising.

I actually look forward to the RE4 remake, because it's going to do something different. If it was exactly like the old one, you and everyone else will complain! Leon can still do roundhouse kicks or suplexes, and I'll be okay with that. I just want them to drop all the lazy QTEs that insta-kill you. As long as they do that and allow you to move and shoot in the same time like they did with the previous remakes, I have no problems. As I said before, I've been so done with everyone sucking og RE4's genitals. I know I'm the odd man out compared to a lot of people, but I don't care. It's why opinions exist anyway.

And another thing: For the last fucking time, RE4 did not move away from the canon at all! Ada and later Wesker show up! It was always going to bounce back! You are in-denial about it, Yahtzee. Making them new IPs would not have done much good either. Plus, two different iterations became their own games anyway. There are the Evil Within games, but you hated those for either being "too much like RE4," or "too much like LOUS" respectively.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Any "collector's edition" that does not give you the actual physical game that comes with it, is an automatic scam in my eyes. You're charging $150-$300+ for this type of stuff, please put the actual product that's with the goodies and plastic pieces. Not just a digital code or voucher. Sterling called this crap out years ago.

What I am saying, is that scalpers are still going to try to find a way to overcharge or oversell their second hand copies. If you noticed, I was responding to what @hanselthecaretaker said earlier in responding to it. Availability or not, there are going to be jackasses buying and inflating these. You bet your ass on that.
I fucking called it. "it's only over $40" don't mean shit, if they're up charging something that's already $200+. And it won't be long until they add more interest on top of that within a month or two.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
No, it is not too late to make an "Assassins Creed: Japan" because of Ghost of Tsushima.

So the latest rumors coming out of the Ubisoft camp is that one of their projects in the works is to finally put the AC franchise is Asia. But between the reports of various projects being delayed or canceled, the supposed plans for various AC games including another stand-alone, a live service, and/or mobile, plus the fact that "Asia" is the largest continent on the planet and doesn't necessarily mean Japan, we have no real idea about what any such game would be like.
And even there was an AC: Japan, the fact that it's in the early rumor phase means that any actual game won't be coming out for years.

Ghost of Tsushima has justifiably been compared to the AC games because of its open world, stealth and melee combat, and single player linear narrative.

The conventional wisdom I keep seeing though is that the existence of Tsushima has made any potential AC game set in Japan automatically irrelevant or superfluous. And frankly I think at this point it has just become cool and popular to dunk on AC because Ubisoft is a Big Evil Company (and they deserve shit for their corporate practices and work environment) and justified criticism that there is open-world copy-paste fatigue across their franchises.

But this is coupled with resentment that a lot of the people that buy their games don't care and don't play every game like the hardcore gamrs do.
Let's say the earliest an AC: Japan comes out is 2025. That is 5 years since Tsushima, which is actually a pretty long time in game years.
Tsushima is a Sony exclusive. Ok let's say they port to PC at some point, it still leaves out XBox. And even if it ports to PC around the same time as a hypothetical AC: Japan, if someone is looking for an open-world Japan game and doesn't have the anti-Ubi/AC bias it would be reasonable to choose the new game than the one that is 5 yrs old.

And even most importantly- most games have like a bunch of similar ones out there. Hey guys, I think I'm gonna try that game where it's like a management/sim/chll game. Or that platformer, you know, with a bit of backtracking and puzzle solving and you unlock tools to help you progress. Oh, how about that one where you build your character stats while fighting enemies to earn XP. I want to play a game where I'm a sad child and it's a metaphor. I want to do that farm sim game... or that Viking one...

So we're cool with endless games that do some variation of the same shit but AC: Japan is somehow redundant because of a 2020 PlayStation exclusive? No, I don't think so.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
No, it is not too late to make an "Assassins Creed: Japan" because of Ghost of Tsushima.

So the latest rumors coming out of the Ubisoft camp is that one of their projects in the works is to finally put the AC franchise is Asia. But between the reports of various projects being delayed or canceled, the supposed plans for various AC games including another stand-alone, a live service, and/or mobile, plus the fact that "Asia" is the largest continent on the planet and doesn't necessarily mean Japan, we have no real idea about what any such game would be like.
And even there was an AC: Japan, the fact that it's in the early rumor phase means that any actual game won't be coming out for years.

Ghost of Tsushima has justifiably been compared to the AC games because of its open world, stealth and melee combat, and single player linear narrative.

The conventional wisdom I keep seeing though is that the existence of Tsushima has made any potential AC game set in Japan automatically irrelevant or superfluous. And frankly I think at this point it has just become cool and popular to dunk on AC because Ubisoft is a Big Evil Company (and they deserve shit for their corporate practices and work environment) and justified criticism that there is open-world copy-paste fatigue across their franchises.

But this is coupled with resentment that a lot of the people that buy their games don't care and don't play every game like the hardcore gamrs do.
Let's say the earliest an AC: Japan comes out is 2025. That is 5 years since Tsushima, which is actually a pretty long time in game years.
Tsushima is a Sony exclusive. Ok let's say they port to PC at some point, it still leaves out XBox. And even if it ports to PC around the same time as a hypothetical AC: Japan, if someone is looking for an open-world Japan game and doesn't have the anti-Ubi/AC bias it would be reasonable to choose the new game than the one that is 5 yrs old.

And even most importantly- most games have like a bunch of similar ones out there. Hey guys, I think I'm gonna try that game where it's like a management/sim/chll game. Or that platformer, you know, with a bit of backtracking and puzzle solving and you unlock tools to help you progress. Oh, how about that one where you build your character stats while fighting enemies to earn XP. I want to play a game where I'm a sad child and it's a metaphor. I want to do that farm sim game... or that Viking one...

So we're cool with endless games that do some variation of the same shit but AC: Japan is somehow redundant because of a 2020 PlayStation exclusive? No, I don't think so.
Honestly I'm more convinced Ubisoft is gonna put out a AC Japan that's a very pretty map of Japan with a ton of GaaS elements and bloated to shit. Like the last few AC games. GoT will likely look like the better game due to Ubisoft Ubisofting all over their answer to it.

Infinity will probably just be GaaS all the way down, because fun is no longer the point. It's just profit generating mechanisms to appease the never ending greed of executives and shareholders.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While you have your points, that does not make Ubisoft's problems and game design problems any less true. Though I started hating on Ubisoft since the Rayman Legends fiasco, and before it became "cool" to do so. With one or two minor exceptions, AC combat is ass and super automated. This is the major advantage Ghost has over every game in the franchise. Not to mention better characters and side characters, better narrative, and just more fun activities and explorations. Not held down by some stupid conspiracy no cares about anymore.

So we're cool with endless games that do some variation of the same shit but AC: Japan is somehow redundant because of a 2020 PlayStation exclusive?
Yes, it is redundant. See my text from above. Their folly decision will be even more redundant when Ghost 2 comes out.

Honestly I'm more convinced Ubisoft is gonna put out a AC Japan that's a very pretty map of Japan with a ton of GaaS elements and bloated to shit. Like the last few AC games. GoT will likely look like the better game due to Ubisoft Ubisofting all over their answer to it.

Infinity will probably just be GaaS all the way down, because fun is no longer the point. It's just profit generating mechanisms to appease the never ending greed of executives and shareholders.
@Dalisclock example only further proves my point.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok but you guys are not arguing that AC shouldn't make a game in Japan, you're effectively arguing that they shouldn't make games at all and should just stop existing. Which is fine, whatever, I'm not gonna defend Ubisoft's existence. But these are two different arguments.

Also, something I didn't get into- the other reason a hypothetical AC: Japan cannot be redundant to Tsishuma is the meta-narrative of the AC lore. That is, any game in a franchise has a distinctive offering by virtue of it being in that franchise. I understand this argument doesn't hold any interest to those not invested in a franchise but it's still there. The idea that Tsushima is a better AC only makes sense if you don't care about AC- the ongoing battle between Assassins and Templars, the Isu, the whole experiencing ancestor's memories. It's fine not to care- lord knows it's gonna silly and boring and I also care a lot less than I used to.

Similar to Trek or Star Wars or Marvel when people say "this would have been a better Marvel movie without all that Marvel stuff"... ok but it doesn't work that way, lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok but you guys are not arguing that AC shouldn't make a game in Japan, you're effectively arguing that they shouldn't make games at all and should just stop existing.
I did not say that, but it would be nice if they did stop existing at some point. Don't make me dream right now, and don't ever put words in my mouth.

Also, something I didn't get into- the other reason a hypothetical AC: Japan cannot be redundant to Tsishuma is the meta-narrative of the AC lore.
Yeah, the lore and meta-narrative still sucks in AC, and only got worse each time.

The idea that Tsushima is a better AC only makes sense if you don't care about AC
Not really. You can still care about AC, and find Tsushima better than AC. Don't know who told you that, or how you came to that conclusion. I've met plenty of people that liked both AC and Tsushima, but realized or had no problem saying the latter is the better game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Stamina bars are just... why?

Is this a hot take? I don't know, but considering this has never been a point of contention for Fromsoft fans I feel like bringing it up anyway. Stamina bars are shit. If they're just for special moves or skills, fine, but if simply running, jumping, and even swinging your weapon costs stamina, how is that at all an engaging mechanic? It's just annoying. It's not fun to work with or work around. What makes it worse in Souls games is that you need that shit to dodge AND swing your weapon... while you need to keep your eyes on the action so as to know when to dodge and when to swing your weapon... while the stamina bar is in the corner for you not to properly keep tabs on.

I can assure you nobody actually considers this stupid stamina bar during combat - unlike a health bar it charges up too fast for you to bother, yet it still gets your way - so why the hell is it even there? You're then pretty much forced to pump skill points into this stupid thing so that in 5 hours or so you have the promise of being able to perform a combo of 4 hits instead of 3. Yipee!

It sucks, yet Fromsoft just keeps 'm around for some reason. And yes, this is me taking the oppertunity to dump some more on the myriad of bad mechanics in Souls games. 😛

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Hey you know which FromSoftware game doesn't have a stamina bar? Sekiro.
Maybe that's why it's the one I keep replaying...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Is this a hot take? I don't know, but considering this has never been a point of contention for Fromsoft fans I feel like bringing it up anyway. Stamina bars are shit. If they're just for special moves or skills, fine, but if simply running, jumping, and even swinging your weapon costs stamina, how is that at all an engaging mechanic? It's just annoying. It's not fun to work with or work around. What makes it worse in Souls games is that you need that shit to dodge AND swing your weapon... while you need to keep your eyes on the action so as to know when to dodge and when to swing your weapon... while the stamina bar is in the corner for you not to properly keep tabs on.

I can assure you nobody actually considers this stupid stamina bar during combat - unlike a health bar it charges up too fast for you to bother, yet it still gets your way - so why the hell is it even there? You're then pretty much forced to pump skill points into this stupid thing so that in 5 hours or so you have the promise of being able to perform a combo of 4 hits instead of 3. Yipee!

It sucks, yet Fromsoft just keeps 'm around for some reason. And yes, this is me taking the oppertunity to dump some more on the myriad of bad mechanics in Souls games. 😛
I understand your sentiments on their face, but I'd argue that stamina in FromSoft games adds a layer of gameplay complexity that must be considered to survive the game. In fact, to say "I can assure you nobody actually considers this stupid stamina bar during combat" is by far and away an inaccurate statement. I, for one, went into DS1 trying to play it like a typical hack 'n slash game, tried to button mash, and got shredded. It wasn't until I learned that managing stamina was a vital key to success before I was able to manage. I learned that an opening in an enemy's attack pattern meant nothing if I took advantage of it without enough stamina to roll away or block without being stun-locked.

You don't have to like it, but I feel it's a mechanic that keeps the player engaged during every moment of combat, and makes victories over more aggressive and fast enemies that much sweeter when you discover how best to juggle your health AND stamina to stave off relentless attacks that would otherwise decimate players who think tanking damage with a shield or mashing the attack button with abandon are viable options. Stamina mandates that nearly every action has a potential consequence.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

It sucks, yet Fromsoft just keeps 'm around for some reason. And yes, this is me taking the oppertunity to dump some more on the myriad of bad mechanics in Souls games.
Honestly I think it made a lot more sense in the early games like Demons, Dark and Dark Souls 2 where the Stamina Bar didn't fill up quickly and the games were designed around fairly slow and methodical combat. Ignoring the Stamina bar in Dark Souls would lead to you being unable to do anything but walk and get wrecked at the worst time. As fast as the newer games are getting(Bloodborne and beyond), the Stamina Bar feels like it's there for the sake of being there most of the time(it might be more noticable if you're playing an unga-bunga build). It does act as a limiter of sorts but honestly you're more likely to just fuck up and get clobbered long before you run out of stamina in Elden RIng.

Kind of like I didn't even notice Durability wasn't a thing in Elden Ring because it wasn't something I bothered thinking of in Dark Souls 3 and honestly I think I just went "Wait, this game has durablity?" after playing it for god knows how many hours. The only game where I noticed Durability at all was Dark Souls 2 and that's because your weapons degraded insanely quickly in that game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I absolutely love the stamina bar and I find myself liking the gameplay in fromsoft game less has they make it less important with super fast regen and low stamina cost of every attack.

It help make every attack feel like they count for something, it means there are trade off for everything, reward dodging without using the stupid i-frame button and make blocking attack more engaging than just holding down a button.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Kind of like I didn't even notice Durability wasn't a thing in Elden Ring because it wasn't something I bothered thinking of in Dark Souls 3 and honestly I think I just went "Wait, this game has durablity?" after playing it for god knows how many hours. The only game where I noticed Durability at all was Dark Souls 2 and that's because your weapons degraded insanely quickly in that game.
I was thinking along these same lines; sans stamina, the only way to punish/reward performance in combat without a stamina bar would have to be insanely high weapon/armor degradation, which means more trips to a blacksmith, or the entirely pointless full regen upon resting at a bonfire, both of which are far less engaging than punishing/rewarding my performance during engaging gameplay.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I was thinking along these same lines; sans stamina, the only way to punish/reward performance in combat without a stamina bar would have to be insanely high weapon/armor degradation, which means more trips to a blacksmith, or the entirely pointless full regen upon resting at a bonfire, both of which are far less engaging than punishing/rewarding my performance during engaging gameplay.
Yeah. I did forget that Stamina does keep you from just hiding behind a shield and tanking attacks, so that is one purpose it serves. Granted, some shields can tank some big hits with minimal stamina drain but those are the big heavy ones that require a lot of strength and carry weight to use.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah. I did forget that Stamina does keep you from just hiding behind a shield and tanking attacks, so that is one purpose it serves. Granted, some shields can tank some big hits with minimal stamina drain but those are the big heavy ones that require a lot of strength and carry weight to use.
While I won't stretch so far as to say they "perfected it," FromSoft has done a really good job [generally] of balancing the "give and take" of your various build options. Like you say, Havel's Shield can mitigate a lot of incoming damage, but you have to invest a butt-ton into Strength to wield it, points that could easily have gone into Stamina and allowed you a more agile build with a lighter shield to the same effect of mitigating damage, and BOTH options require an active awareness of your stamina bar.

I get how managing stamina can be frustrating and why some wish it away, but just like the multitude of bosses you beat your head against before finally besting them, learning how to manage is all a part of the game, and save for health, stamina management is probably one of the biggest indicators of how well you're learning.