Your video game hot take(s) thread

XsjadoBlayde

~Social Anxiety Catalysed Free-Market Alienation~
Apr 29, 2020
Checking the Inscryption file download size for playstation console release, there's a rough 3x size difference between the PS4 (7.25 gig) and the PS5 (2.28 gig) versions. So whatever the SSD is doing, a lot more devs should be taking advantage of that kind of optimisation potential.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Checking the Inscryption file download size for playstation console release, there's a rough 3x size difference between the PS4 (7.25 gig) and the PS5 (2.28 gig) versions. So whatever the SSD is doing, a lot more devs should be taking advantage of that kind of optimisation potential.
The ssd plays it's part, yes, but it's also a matter of having a decent cpu that can decompress all the data on the fly. And also enough fast ram to keep the cpu fed, but that technically was not as much of an issue in the PS4, as opposed to its rather weedy cpu and mechanical drive.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
PS5 version is the smaller size for real?

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
PS5 version is the smaller size for real?
That's not unusual. As mentioned, the specs of the new consoles allow for more advanced compression. Meaning PS5 games can have (much) smaller sizes than their PS4 counterparts, even with the PS5 versions' higher quality assets. Tho PS5's are generally also a bit smaller than Xbox's or PC's, cuz Sony has a proprietary compression tech that I'm guessing is just that bit more efficient than competitors.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Tried listening to some of LA Noire's soundtrack hoping for some music that would get me in the right headspace for a character I have... Holy shit this soundtrack is bad. It certainly sounds like an old detective movie but... it's just so lacking in any individuality. It's "make generic noire detective music for me" and the composer went all in on the "generic" part.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Tried listening to some of LA Noire's soundtrack hoping for some music that would get me in the right headspace for a character I have... Holy shit this soundtrack is bad. It certainly sounds like an old detective movie but... it's just so lacking in any individuality. It's "make generic noire detective music for me" and the composer went all in on the "generic" part.
Just put LA Confidential on, that should help.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't know if it helps but The Saboteur I seemed to remember having a pretty good soundtrack. Ironically most of the songs were anachronistic or from fairly recently but sounded like something from the 1940s.

Genesis Noir also had a pretty good soundtrack IIRC.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Did you really listen to the soundtrack? Because I don't think you did. I think you went to the club listened to a few songs, had a few drinks. But, listening to her sing rubbed your own lack of individuality right in your face and you just couldn't take it. So when she stepped out back for a smoke, you followed her and bashed her skull in with an empty wine bottle. Did it feel good Specter? Did you enjoy it? Or was it just another generic murder to you? You make me sick, and you are going to rot behind bars for the rest of your life!

** Checks notes **

Looks like I've made a mistake.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Back with more Bridget takes:

Okay, let's say the deniers are right, it's all an activist localization team that should be fired and there's Bad Endings that get overridden by the flawless ending and Bridget is 100% Still A Boy: this turns Bridget's arcade story into one extended "Did you just assume my gender?" joke. Because the assertion is that the Flawless ending says that Bridget is enthusiastically proclaiming "I am a BOY! despite what anybody else thinks!"

But Bridget's parents thinks he's a boy. Bridget's village thinks he's a boy. Bridget's friends think he's a boy. Bridget's acquaintances think he's a boy. Literally the only people who think Bridget's a girl are people who've literally never interacted with Bridget before and see a girl in a skirt. Just a handful of people assuming Bridget's gender like, once before being corrected, including Goldlewis if every other ending is Non-Canon, as he now knows Bridget is a boy who's clothes are a long story.

Kind of a waste of a story mode, yeah? Rise of Skywalker level bad writing.

Take 2: Electric Boogaloo

Okay, so in the west, being a trans person starts of with declaring so and then rounding up healthcare and legal documents. That's how it works, culturally. Heck, most of the time medical intervention is, legally speaking, strictly optional. (Though often medically necessary)

It is largely the opposite in Japan. You have to scare up diagnosis, medical care, and have heavy invasive surgery (including sterilization) before the government allows you to be transgender. Decent chance that any random Japanese femboy is a trans girl who just can't legally say so. (Personal relationships are one thing, government documentation is another).

So if that filters down to government censorship boards and the CERO rating system, then of course Bridget isn't a transgender women. "He's" never so much as looked at HRT, let alone got a hysterectomy. "He's" just announced it, after all. And if that fucks with ratings or risks censorship boards getting involved, it'd make perfect sense for the company to play coy in Japanese while being so overt in other markets. Kinda like how Lily Zombieland is officially listed under her old male name and as a boy in the online biography: an eight year old zombie isn't getting HRT for a wide variety of reasons. (Still no excuse for Erica Catherine being listed in the credits under her deadname. It's a plot point that she's had those surgeries)

That said, Bridget is British and made the declaration that she is a girl in front of the US Secretary of Defense and the Gear King of Europe, so that probably counts.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Back with more Bridget takes:

Okay, let's say the deniers are right, it's all an activist localization team that should be fired and there's Bad Endings that get overridden by the flawless ending and Bridget is 100% Still A Boy: this turns Bridget's arcade story into one extended "Did you just assume my gender?" joke. Because the assertion is that the Flawless ending says that Bridget is enthusiastically proclaiming "I am a BOY! despite what anybody else thinks!"

But Bridget's parents thinks he's a boy. Bridget's village thinks he's a boy. Bridget's friends think he's a boy. Bridget's acquaintances think he's a boy. Literally the only people who think Bridget's a girl are people who've literally never interacted with Bridget before and see a girl in a skirt. Just a handful of people assuming Bridget's gender like, once before being corrected, including Goldlewis if every other ending is Non-Canon, as he now knows Bridget is a boy who's clothes are a long story.

Kind of a waste of a story mode, yeah? Rise of Skywalker level bad writing.

Take 2: Electric Boogaloo

Okay, so in the west, being a trans person starts of with declaring so and then rounding up healthcare and legal documents. That's how it works, culturally. Heck, most of the time medical intervention is, legally speaking, strictly optional. (Though often medically necessary)

It is largely the opposite in Japan. You have to scare up diagnosis, medical care, and have heavy invasive surgery (including sterilization) before the government allows you to be transgender. Decent chance that any random Japanese femboy is a trans girl who just can't legally say so. (Personal relationships are one thing, government documentation is another).

So if that filters down to government censorship boards and the CERO rating system, then of course Bridget isn't a transgender women. "He's" never so much as looked at HRT, let alone got a hysterectomy. "He's" just announced it, after all. And if that fucks with ratings or risks censorship boards getting involved, it'd make perfect sense for the company to play coy in Japanese while being so overt in other markets. Kinda like how Lily Zombieland is officially listed under her old male name and as a boy in the online biography: an eight year old zombie isn't getting HRT for a wide variety of reasons. (Still no excuse for Erica Catherine being listed in the credits under her deadname. It's a plot point that she's had those surgeries)

That said, Bridget is British and made the declaration that she is a girl in front of the US Secretary of Defense and the Gear King of Europe, so that probably counts.
Three words: Poison, Final Fight. Amazing how little changes in decades of gaming.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I take back what I said about Tower of Fantasy. I spent 35 dollars, and I have every character but 2 including the two most recent limited banners.

It's got the best and hottest character design. The gameplay is better than Genshin but can get stale. However the story is trash, the leveling up is too fast as I am just shooting through the levels just doing my dailies to the point where I cannot level up my weapons fast enough.

I also have excellent luck with these types of games. I also wished they didn't force us to level our weapons with this much material. I want to use all of the weapons/characters, but I can't due to this game gatekeeping them with material farming.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It takes a truly forgiving soul - or very dedicated achievement hunter - to do the pacifist run in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Because everyone you come up against are either terrorists (Humanity First), high level violent organised crime (The D Row Ballers and M City Bangers in Detroit, the Triads in Hengsha), an unaccountable and ruthless PMC (Belltower....everywhere) or are actively engaged in a conspiracy to utterly fuck the world (Everyone at Omega Ranch, Panchea, Picus etc). Like outside of Malik, Eliza - who's a goddamn AI and hologram - and Pritchard I see very few people in this game who don't deserve a bullet between the eyes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Dalisclock & @Dirty Hipsters, remember when we were talking about WET? I got it times stamped, but Ray's problems are more so gameplay related. Granted, I mentioned some of the gameplay issues and why, in addition, I hate the the gameplay. Never mind, he has problems with the character too. So that's a big win and smile on my face!

EDIT: Black Lagoon reference at 35:40.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
@Dalisclock & @Dirty Hipsters, remember when we were talking about WET? I got it times stamped, but Ray's problems are more so gameplay related. Granted, I mentioned some of the gameplay issues and why, in addition, I hate the the gameplay. Never mind, he has problems with the character too. So that's a big win and smile on my face!

EDIT: Black Lagoon reference at 35:40.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't remember much of our conversation about WET (much like I don't remember much about the game itself). Would you mind refreshing my memory about our discussion?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm gonna be honest, I don't remember much of our conversation about WET (much like I don't remember much about the game itself). Would you mind refreshing my memory about our discussion?
You know, I played WET, and yet I remember absolutely nothing about the plot.
Literally the only thing I remember about the game is that rage mode made your whole screen go red and all the enemies turned into black silhouettes (which looked cool the first couple of times it happened and then became grating) and also you could shoot while diving and sliding, and the game was like 5 hours long maybe.
I remember literally nothing else. I literally forgot the game existed until I saw you mention it a couple of weeks back.
We more or less have similar opinions. That was about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
17 hours too short? No, you just have too much time on your hands, you random Steam User reviewer. Tell'em Sterling!

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why are we still debating about how long games should be? It should have been settled ages ago. 8 hours of quality content>167 hours of faffing about in an open empty world trying to find that last damn feather.
Take it away me from June 14, 2022:
The bang for your buck mentality hasn't even recently gone away, it's just only taken different forms now. You still have people, doesn't matter if they're younger gamers or older gamers, that try to justify certain purchases or act like AAA companies are doing them a favor by scamming you for $70 now. You either have people that don't know any better, naive, stupid, ignorant, or just straight up sycophants for their corporate overlords.

I will say that with this recession, people are starting to realize that $60-$70 is not the end all to be all. Some more people are making wise decision with their gaming purchases, or just waiting for a sale. This is especially notable with fighting games now. Yet more needs to be done.