Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dunkey complains about the lack of traditional endings in SF6's Arcade mode for each character. While it is somewhat disappointing, I don't see it as a big deal, because the arcade mode is still fun, and give you the option to fight 5 or 12 opponents total. Also, it still fleshes out some story or character motivations (I have not played all of the characters yet). Yes, most of their stories and personalities are fleshed out further in the World Tour Mode, so at least Capcom tried being ambitious in another way and mostly succeeding. Ironically, enough SFV has 6 different arcade modes with the traditional endings. All of the endings are re-done in comic book form, so it's not like Capcom quickly abandoned. It's true a lot of fighting games don't do traditional arcade mode endings, because they've been done to death, and MK9 changed the game. At least MK games kept seperate arcade modes with their own endings, so at least it's something.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Dunkey complains about the lack of traditional endings in SF6's Arcade mode for each character. While it is somewhat disappointing, I don't see it as a big deal, because the arcade mode is still fun, and give you the option to fight 5 or 12 opponents total. Also, it still fleshes out some story or character motivations (I have played all of the characters yet). Yes, most of their stories and personalities are fleshed out further in the World Tour Mode, so at least Capcom tried being ambitious in another way and mostly succeeding. Ironically, enough SFV has 6 different arcade modes with the traditional endings. All of the endings are re-done in comic book form, so it's not like Capcom quickly abandoned. It's true a lot of fighting games don't do traditional arcade mode endings, because they've been done to death, and MK9 changed the game. At least MK games kept seperate arcade modes with their own endings, so at least it's something.
Loved the arcade mode. I played with each character 3x, ostensibly to unlock all the related art but really just to get a chance to try all the characters. Mixed it up with modern and classic controls to get broad sense of the whole game.
I mean there's 18 characters and they're all cool, but in actual matches I'm realistically gonna just stick with one may be two so how else to try them all without spending literally years, during which time even more characters come out.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yahtz brings up a good point about how many other franchises don't have such frothing-at-the-mouth defenders when it comes to review scores.
Yahtzee is the one that brings us up, but the reason why Sonic fans are usually defending (reasonably) is because critics like you Yahtzee and others,/ keep claiming "Sonic can't get 3D right", highly exaggerate the flaws of most Sonic games, or act as if you made some grand revelation to a problem with one of the mediocre games, when most fans already figured out and discussed it long before you did.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's nothing wrong with change or homogenization, when done right. Sometimes a change is for the better, and sometimes it's for the worst. It depends on the gaming franchise in question. If there is stagnation and the same homogenization over and over again on a franchise, then a huge change up is needed. If the franchise is already good or fine from the start, a nice shake up every now and then can work fine when done in small steps. If a franchise is changing just to be like everybody else to grab all the money in the entire universe, then it's a change that's really not needed in the first place. Once again I must reiterate: there's a reason why a lot of those Call of Duty and Gears of War clones never made it past the seventh generation and stayed on the consoles they debuted on. I'm also talking about existing franchises that tried to jump on that train, with most of them failing, and not going anywhere. Leaving the series to either die, or we be rebooted again properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm tired of all cyber punk game always having the corporation be the big bad evil. It's just so routine, try something different for once. Doesn't need to have the corpo be the good guy or anything, but just do anything different. It's like the scooby do face reveal, except every single episode it's always the same guys every time, week after week.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Right, listen. This goes for videogames or any other media really.

When you start a franchise, that you intend to develop through many sequels, do not use the word "final" in its title, okay ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I'm tired of all cyber punk game always having the corporation be the big bad evil. It's just so routine, try something different for once. Doesn't need to have the corpo be the good guy or anything, but just do anything different. It's like the scooby do face reveal, except every single episode it's always the same guys every time, week after week.
That's like asking for medieval fantasy without any monarchy, wizards or horses in, it's what distinguishes the subgenre from others, so what you're asking for instead is a sci-fi thriller/action/murder mystery. Cyberpunk is techno-feudalism, the corporations being shitty is just the setting, not some dumb mystery to pretend to be solved.

Also corporations are not people. They cannot be bad guys or good guys or ugly guys. They're systems which are tinkered by people to further exploit other people, it's the tinkerers who would be the bad guys. or a corrupt AI. Or tinkerers who corrupt AI. If you want to see the homeless as the villains, then you're gonna have to try looking in the other sci-fi subgenres. Or play a Ubisoft Tom Clancy game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
That's like asking for medieval fantasy without any monarchy, wizards or horses in, it's what distinguishes the subgenre from others, so what you're asking for instead is a sci-fi thriller/action/murder mystery. Cyberpunk is techno-feudalism, the corporations being shitty is just the setting, not some dumb mystery to pretend to be solved.

Also corporations are not people. They cannot be bad guys or good guys or ugly guys. They're systems which are tinkered by people to further exploit other people, it's the tinkerers who would be the bad guys. or a corrupt AI. Or tinkerers who corrupt AI. If you want to see the homeless as the villains, then you're gonna have to try looking in the other sci-fi subgenres. Or play a Ubisoft Tom Clancy game.
I'm not asking cyberpunk without corporation, I'm just tried of everything ultimately be some plot by corporation.

Like say you find out there's a serial killer, so you track him down, you can be sure along the way you'll find like a datapad that'll say the guy became a serial killer because he got experimented on by corporation. A group of thief stealing stuff, corporation actually made the group. Rogue scientist stealing body part? He's actually part of a deep ops by a corporation.

I'd be like if every single villain in a medieval fantasy was directly linked to the king, even when it doesn't bring anything to the story.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Like say you find out there's a serial killer, so you track him down, you can be sure along the way you'll find like a datapad that'll say the guy became a serial killer because he got experimented on by corporation. A group of thief stealing stuff, corporation actually made the group. Rogue scientist stealing body part? He's actually part of a deep ops by a corporation.
On the other hand I AM TELLING YOU TO PLAY SHADOWS OF DOUBT BUT NOBODY EVER LISTENS TO ME.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Right, listen. This goes for videogames or any other media really.

When you start a franchise, that you intend to develop through many sequels, do not use the word "final" in its title, okay ?

Thanks.
To be fair to Squaresoft, they were on the edge of going out of business when they developed Final Fantasy, so it might have been final for them.

Capcom had no such excuse with Final Fight, though.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I'm not asking cyberpunk without corporation, I'm just tried of everything ultimately be some plot by corporation.

I'd be like if every single villain in a medieval fantasy was directly linked to the king, even when it doesn't bring anything to the story.
They do it simply because they’re easy to hate and are the biggest, most dramatic target. Pick something other than an Evil Corp or Mega Corp and people will wonder where tf their cyberpunk game went. Would it be neat to have like, a hospital or nonprofit think tank/animal charity be the secret end game big bad, where you slowly uncover the truth behind cancer malpractice class action swept under the rug or mass extinction? Possibly, but these types of plots would never get enough traction or near-unanimous appeal.

Reactions: meiam

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
They do it simply because they’re easy to hate and are the biggest, most dramatic target. Pick something other than an Evil Corp or Mega Corp and people will wonder where tf their cyberpunk game went. Would it be neat to have like, a hospital or nonprofit think tank/animal charity be the secret end game big bad, where you slowly uncover the truth behind cancer malpractice class action swept under the rug or mass extinction? Possibly, but these types of plots would never get enough traction or near-unanimous appeal.
Non profits are just handy tax avoidance schemes for capitalists, think tanks literally exist to launder dubious ideas for the press to report on as if it's legit information, and hospitals in America are already known as profiting off people's suffering and addictions by partnerships with health insurance companies and the sackler family lobbying government to keep the opioid crisis growing purely on the basis of bigger financial returns. None of this is new, it is in fact reality that many people have to live and many more die in.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Well, depending on the level of complexity of the evil scheme, the kinds of street level zipperheads you deal with couldn’t do it without Corpo backing. And sometimes the Corp is only behind it in the sense that they need some plausible deniability (which is indeed what Corpo V in 2077 starts out doing).

Reactions: meiam

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Non profits are just handy tax avoidance schemes for capitalists, think tanks literally exist to launder dubious ideas for the press to report on as if it's legit information, and hospitals in America are already known as profiting off people's suffering and addictions by partnerships with health insurance companies and the sackler family lobbying government to keep the opioid crisis growing purely on the basis of bigger financial returns. None of this is new, it is in fact reality that many people have to live and many more die in.
Probably subconsciously why I thought of them and why they could still fit in this genre. The sad part is that it’s true and I guess I really can’t think of an example where corruption hasn’t taken hold of something that should be considered “good”. Our reality is in a way already worse than the fiction it inspires.